• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor- Tomb Raider Collection coming to Nintendo Switch, Steam, X Box, and PS4

Jooxed

Gold Member

amxSbLs.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely think it would be pretty cool to have a Halo MCC-esque collection of the various mainline Tomb Raider games. The question is what games would it include? The whole shebang of all the console games? All of the original timeline of games and ignoring the failed reboot with Legend and Underground? Would it include the handheld games? The remake of the first game?

Either way, I would be totally down to pay $60 to get the original 4 games in HD on my Xbox with good controls. Really excited to learn more though, and I feel like this will actually be a good bundle and not be milked to hell, as Square Enix is usually pretty good with that outside of Final Fantasy

The pictures indicate that it'll be the OG series, the first reboot series, and the top-down series.

What's funny is that the articles in the OP mistake the third image (which is from Guardian of Light) for the second reboot lol. Games journalism in a nutshell.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hopefully they're not going to even try to port Reboot series to Switch cuz it'll look absolutely abysmal with a crap ton of aliasing in 720p, not to mention low-res textures, absence of TressFX etc.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I actually just bought the Square Enix pack on Steam that has all of the Tomb Raiders. I'm currently playing through them in chronological order of release. While the original hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped, it's a real treat to be able to experience them all, and I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of the series. I can certainly see the appeal of this kind of collection!

I wouldn't mind replaying the original games through Angel of Darkness again certainly. If they can give the latter a quick polish while they're at it, all the better.

The orignal reboot trilogy too for that matter, those are still great games, even if thw rot had started to set in with Lara's increasing lack of agency.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don't even know how this can work on the Switch. Isn't it gonna be huge in size? I'm on my last 20% of my 400GB SD card and I buy everything physical when possible. I'm fearing it's going to be a massive download :messenger_downcast_sweat:
The first 5 TR games are very small in size.

SkylineRKR

I never played AoD. I wouldn't mind trying a cleaned up version.

Sweet. Legend and Anniversary are great games. Would love to play them again.

Much better trilogy than the current one.

Legend was a really fun romp with not too many collectibles, fun to replay as well. Anniversary was generally a good take on the original and Underworld clearly lacks polish but had some pretty good stages rivaling the complexity of the originals.

The last 3 games are very by the numbers. Very scripted, and no satisfactory exploration or climbing.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Great news. One of the few franchises that I never lost interest in, I have them all but would certainly double dip on the Switch. To be able to boot the original series without having to patch the shit out of them is long overdue.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wish list:

Remastered graphics for all games

Super unlikely wish list: Remastered graphics, retooled controls to the modern system for all games. This woukd be amazing......

xrnzaaas

I'd be interested in replaying first Tomb Raider games, except for Angel of Darkness of course. ;) Hopefully they will be sold separately.

Would be a shame if they started with TR Legend and forgotten about the classic games (except for TR Anniversary).

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Surely it's not beyond the Switch to output Legend, Anniversary and Underworld at 1080p/60fps?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wait a sec, I saw this and presumed it was a switch only deal, but...

The ORIGINAL games are in this? As in TR1/2/3etc? On Xbox/ps4...?

Damn...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's a really, really bad fake poster.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
But... I just bought the original Tomb Raider games for PS1... :messenger_confused:
How? Did you go back in time?

I actually just bought the Square Enix pack on Steam that has all of the Tomb Raiders. I'm currently playing through them in chronological order of release. While the original hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped, it's a real treat to be able to experience them all, and I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of the series. I can certainly see the appeal of this kind of collection!
I replayed the original circa 3 years ago and it’s still a blast. I always dreaded returning to the PS versions because of limited saves and loading times, but modern PC versions with infinite saves and quick loading allow you to just enjoy the games and they still absolutely hold up.

Nico_D

I played the first three games back then and have fond memories of especially the first two. The second game was the best.

But honestly I think the first two games of the reboot trilogy are the best the series has ever been.

The 3rd one... I'm trying to forget that I ever played it.

Xdrive05

I wonder if it’s even possible to remaster the original Core Design games. I was actually a big fan of those back in the day. I don’t think the engine would translate well to a modern update.

Best you could do for those would be a resolution bump. Or maybe some enterprising port developer could re-create all the textures in high res. That would almost look even weirder, to have higher resolution photo realistic textures on a low poly grid-based environment with tank controls, etc.

But those original games do you have a massive charm to them, even if it’s largely nostalgia.

Top Bottom