• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Treasure might be done making new games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Raidant Silvergun Steam is all I want. :(

What happened to their PC title anyway?

LewieP

I love their work, but it can't be denied that they have made some strange business decisions typical of the insular Japanese industry.

I had hoped that following the success of Ikaruga on Steam we'd have seen them port more of their classic titles in their back catalogue to modern platforms. If they can port Ikaruga to PC, 360 and mobile, it seems bizarre to not out it on PS4 too.

I don't really need or want huge budget stuff from them, but it would be a real shame if they were to never work on original games again.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What happened to their PC title anyway?

Most of their personnel are (permanently or intermittently) gone and they have no money, that's what happened.

Remember, most of their original games are owned by other publishers and they don't necessarily earn anything from the regular re-releases.

OmegaDL50

When some of the early Castlevania and Gradius devs left Konami it was concerning but they really turned out to be amazing with stuff like Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, and Alien Soldier on the Genesis.

Also their Arcade output was interesting with Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.

Also Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

Of course can't forget to mention Mischief Makers and Sin and Punishment.

I was shocked to see them collaborate with Konami again for Gradius V (which is ironic since most of Treasure consist of the staff that developed Gradius I, II, and III, as well as some of the Salamander and of course Parodius titles)

I know they also did one of the early Castlevania games, but I wonder exactly was the cutoff for the staff to exodus from Konami and form Treasure.

I don't know the exact specifics.

Anyone who's more knowledgeable about this than I am care to share their input?

.la1n

This is very depressing news for me. I do hope at least their other XBL titles find their way to backwards compatibility. Easily my favorite 16-bit era developer.

Heero5

I won't be getting a bonus for a third time :( super sad, so many Treasure games on my top 50 list.
Be praying
Be praying
Be praying

@MUWANdo

Banned
Anyone who's more knowledgeable about this than I am care to share their input?

People massively overstate the Konami/Treasure connection--yes, Treasure was formed by ex-Konami employees, including individuals who worked on certain games in high-profile series like Contra and Castlevania, but they definitely weren't the progenitors of those franchises and the Konami games worked on by the biggest concentration of Treasure people are mostly Famicom obscurities and licensed games.

(I don't mean to question Treasure's credibility or whatever, it just need to be pointed out that Konami fucked up those franchises all on their own, irrespective of Treasure's involvement or lack thereof.)

The most Treasure-y of all the pre-Treasure Konami games is Bucky O'Hare for NES, I'd say.

squall23

I can't help but think it was Capcom's fault that Gaist Crusher ended up so unsuccessful. Or maybe Capcom read the market wrong in thinking people wanted a shonen-style Monster Hunter.

GamerJM

Banned
If you didn't pay full price for Sin & Punishment 2 back in the day, you're part of the problem.

I didn't

But I bought the Virtual Console release of S&P1 and didn't like it, and I bought the Bleach DS games, does that count for anything

Anyways, RIP. Outside of a few games I didn't care for (S&P and Dynamite Headdy) they were a consistently great developer. Gunstar Heroes is one of the most legendary games of the 16-bit era to this day and remains the best run 'n gun game I've ever played.

Not really surprising given the lack of news from them, but still a goddamn shame.

Quite frankly, they could and should have been able to adapt better to the last decade of changes in the industry, particularly with the rise of digital distribution and crowdfunding.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't help but think it was Capcom's fault that Gaist Crusher ended up so unsuccessful. Or maybe Capcom read the market wrong in thinking people wanted a shonen-style Monster Hunter.

Yeah, that game's failure isn't necessarily an indictment on Treasure.

Considering that we got Ikaruga on backwards compatibility, I'm hoping that we get the fantastic 360 port/upgrade of Guardian Heroes backwards compatible.

GamerJM

Banned
Are the Gaist Crusher games any good btw? Thinking of picking one of them up for the Japanese 3DS in the wake of this news. I remember hearing bad things about them.

duckroll

Doesn't this rumor float about every generation in some form or another?

You tell me:

Treasure's output annually from 1993 to 2016. Ports are bolded.

1993 - Gunstar Heroes, Mcdonald Treasure Land Adventure
1994 - Dynamite Heady, Yuyu Hakusho
1995 - Alien Soldier, Light Crusader
1996 - Guardian Heroes
1997 - Mischief Makers, Silhouette Mirage
1998 - Radiant Silvergun
1999 - Rakugaki Showtime, Bangaio
2000 - Silpheed The Last Planet, Sin and Punishment
2001 - Stretch Panic, Ikaruga
2002 - Hajime no Ippo The Fighting
2003 - Dragon Drive, Astro Boy
2004 - Wario World, Gradius V, Advanced Guardian Heroes
2005 - Gunstar Super Heroes
2006 - Bleach DS
2007 - Bleach DS 2nd
2008 - Bangaio Spirits, Bleach Versus Crusade, Ikaruga XBLA
2009 - Sin and Punishment 2, Gunstar Heroes XBLA
2010 -
2011 - Bangaio Missile Fury XBLA, Radiant Silvergun XBLA, Guardian Heroes HD XBLA
2012 -
2013 - Gaist Crusher
2014 - Gaist Crusher God
2015 -
2016 -

Pretending that Treasure is business as usual these past 7 years is naive as hell.

Mischief Makers is one of the most underrated games ever. I think the same could be said about all Treasure games, but MM is such a forgotten gem and one of the best 2D platformers ever.

Baust

This is really sad to hear if true. I always loved their unique style and probably replay their games more than any other.

If you didn't pay full price for Sin & Punishment 2 back in the day, you're part of the problem.

Pre-ordered and bought it day one over here. I got one of those S&P themed Wii points cards too!

Almost all their output is like sacred to me. Gunstar and Guardian Heroes, both Sin & Punishment, Radiant Silvergun and that timeless masterpiece Ikaruga... all of them have a special place in my heart. I hope they will continue working in nee games in the near future

VariantX

Mischief Makers is one of the most underrated games ever. I think the same could be said about all Treasure games, but MM is such a forgotten gem and one of the best 2D platformers ever.

Mischief makers is pretty much encapsulates what I like about treasure games. That game has an insane amount of gameplay variation even though you're just using a the same mechanics over and over. I had the game for 5 years, dropped it and put in my backlog, revisited it and finally grasped just how far they let you take the grab and shake mechanics, I was hooked. My mind was blown when I accidentally discovered you damn near grab anything and shake it to alter its properties in some way. Game turned into a sandbox in that instant for me.

I just want them to release Radiant Silvergun and Mischief Makers on anything new. PLEASE! Thats all, they can die afterwards or whatnot. I have my old X360 just to play RS...

duckroll

Jut to be clear, Bangaio HD is derivative of the DS game but it's definitely not a port.

Oh, it has original new missions? I never played the XBLA one. Bangaio kinda feels like the Treasure's Lumines in a way. A puzzle-like game where it's hard to keep track if new releases are actually new or ports!

Tain

Oh, it has original new missions? I never played the XBLA one. Bangaio kinda feels like the Treasure's Lumines in a way. A puzzle-like game where it's hard to keep track if new releases are actually new or ports!

New missions, items, and mechanics iirc. Always was a sequel to me.

Best N64 game.

brasco%20gif-51_zpsmchij2qi.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
What's Tetsu Okano up to lately? They should make a successor to Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

Top Bottom