• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: we might be getting a new PS Store layout

tr00per

All I need is a better search function.
The letter-by-letter selection pillar is annoying.

I miss the old PS3 store. Why can't they just go back to those little squares?

Remember old Bluey?

2376548231_e0e3384485.jpg

These. Why not let us use the system keyboard?
I wouldn't have minded the ps3 update so much if it wasn't so much slower.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They need to redo the whole damn thing using native goddamn API like the rest of the OS, and not the goforsaken HTML semi-garbage clunky all flash no substance that it is now. They don't seem to be doing that judging by these screenshots. I mean sure it works as is, but the jump in smoothness between the store and the rest of the UI is highly noticeable. Not to mention that you can't use the system keyboard on it.

They had good thing going with the native UI store on PS3 like on that screen above. It was smooth and responsive. It's been downhill ever since - except for Vita where at least someone knew what they were doing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Agree. Web store is fine, functional, easy to browse and search.

The PS4 store is horrible garbage.
Web store is an excercise in over engineering too. It's full of 'smart UI' javascript crap that just gets in the way of actual page navigation. Stuff fading in all over the place just because it can be done is not a good design. I'd much rather their web store loads instantly, as Amazon's front page does. Instead they have a splash page with a loader that takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds. I don't mind interesting javascript based navigation, but it has to be done super-seamlessly. Theirs isn't.

garyizraw

Banned
Please no just tried to add broforce to my library instead of downloading it and the option either isn't there or its hidden pretty well behind the video that I didnt want playing in the background. PS Store is something i actually want on Xbox due to how superior it is in my opinion

tr00per

Vita store is fantastic other than some issues like certain things not always loading properly. The layout is great and when it works it's fast and functional.

Agreed. Plus the touch makes it even better. The only other thing that could be better is the amount of clicks to get to igc.

Someone should re-create the feeling of entering a video game store. Kinda like HOME but faster and more to the point.

Ps vr store? :)

Vinter

By all means update the store, but for the love of god do not copy the Xbox marketplace. Its the thing I dislike the most on XB1.

The PSN store on PS4 is ok and I wouldn't mind a new interface. PSN store on PS3 is just plain shit. It locks on me when I try to view a screenshot of a game.

Anyone remember the original PSN store on PS3? I was a freaking web app, darn has Sony come a long way. Ways to go still.

Squishy3

I can't wait for it to be applied to the PS3 too and make it even worse again. You already can hardly use it on the PS3 without it crashing or hard locking the system.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I just want a fast and functional store. What they keep trying to give everyone is something that looks cool, but it doesn't matter if it's really slow.

Both PS3 and Xbox 360 stores suffered over time, when these companies started preferring looks over function because 'phones were doing it, why can't we' mentality. For some reason they didn't realize phones update their hardware on a yearly basis so they can support these new processor/ram heavy material looks.

What would be perfect is the option to switch the layouts between old store and new.

Edit: I want someone from the media to actually sit down with a Sony rep/head, and have them actually try to browse the Ps3 store successfully with ease.

CDV13

I'd rather them not. Everything is pretty damn easy to find.

Also....lol at the "hopefully they make redeem codes easier to find". It's literally a separate category option.

True Fire

People are actually defending the current store? It's so unintuitive. Most of it is taken up by "suggestions" that seem more like EA and Ubisoft shills than anything curated from my purchase history. They need something easy and fun to browse like Netflix, with a good algorithm for determining which games the store shows you.

Remember old Bluey?

2376548231_e0e3384485.jpg

People have already shown this and he first version of the PS3 PSN Store, but I also recall the one after this that was eventually replaced by the current PS3 PSN store. I remember in that one you could shift via tabs between Games, Movies, and maybe Music.

Edit- Hmm. Looking at some Google images, it might of been an improved variation on the one you posted.

Edit 2- Here's an example:
hNztnhI.jpg

I remember switching between the stores with the press of a button (L1 and R1?). It was quite snappy.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
People are actually defending the current store? It's so unintuitive. Most of it is taken up by "suggestions" that seem more like EA and Ubisoft shills than anything curated from my purchase history. They need something easy and fun to browse like Netflix, with a good algorithm for determining which games the store shows you.

Of the few things that work, I actually think the suggestions system works pretty good, because mine have been Namco based(due to dark souls and tales) and jrpg based(due to playing Type-0 and SAO). I've barely seen any EA or Ubisoft products on suggestions.

Have you been playing some shooters or open world games lately?

Heartfyre

Bring back the first PS3 store layout. Please?

I was playing Nier the other day, and there's a Downloadable Content button on the main menu. Clicking it brings up the store page, which is in the original PS3 store layout. It was startling to see, but it made it clear to me that, with the huge quantities of games and DLC on the PS Store now, that layout is completely impractical.

I wish Sony would just go back to the first redesign they did for the store. The one that even today, still shows up in certain places of the PS3 OS and PS3 games. I want it brought back for all current and future PlayStation platforms. Just modernize it a tiny bit.

kvn

Can I get a store UI that is not made for blind people? I want information not fucking huge pictures. I would also like to have a proper search function. Form follows function etc.

Top Bottom