• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: we might be getting a new PS Store layout

Nanashrew

Banned
So good. I was appalled when they replaced it with the new one that takes a straight up minute to even open up and runs like shit when you're in it (on PS3, that is).

Not to mention occasional hard locks and crashes. I haaate it. I'd rather have that old blue one because it actually worked.

panty

That's terrible. Looks like the Xbox marketplace and I've always hated that.

Please no. Just fix the search and I'm all good.

On Demand

Banned
That's terrible. Looks like the Xbox marketplace and I've always hated that.

Please no. Just fix the search and I'm all good.

Going by dualshockers, it might be just the games pages and not the entire store. But that wouldn't really blend well.

Gxgear

I use the webstore almost exclusive now because of how bad the console store is. If it's not the popular items or new releases the only option is to search it, and I'm not about spell things out with a dualshock. Can't seem to find the 'All PS4 games' option anymore.

The current store is fucking terrible, the old store on the PS3 was honestly better, so I look forward to whatever is replacing it (if its happening). Right now I honestly use the web store for just about everything because its just easier than browsing the store on the PS4.
the current store is fine. change is good.

I use the webstore almost exclusive now because of how bad the console store is. If it's not the popular items or new releases the only option is to search it, and I'm not about spell things out with a dualshock. Can't seem to find the 'All PS4 games' option anymore.

its under catalog and you scroll to the right.

Minority but I love the letter-by-letter search on PS4.

I mean, it's like the actual least efficient method of text-entry ever devised. Maybe that's hyperbole, I haven't done the research, but shit's ridiculous. If I know I want it to search for 'Uncharted', I don't want to scroll through a vertical list of every letter in the alphabet to 'U', wait while it searches for everything in the store that starts with 'U', move on to 'N', wait for it to find everything starting with 'Un', move on to 'C', etc etc.

Insert plea for the Beyond Good & Evil text entry system here:
bge-screenshot-1.jpg

Hexa

I mean, it's like the actual least efficient method of text-entry ever devised. Maybe that's hyperbole, I haven't done the research, but shit's ridiculous. If I know I want it to search for 'Uncharted', I don't want to scroll through a vertical list of every letter in the alphabet to 'U', wait while it searches for everything in the store that starts with 'U', move on to 'N', wait for it to find everything starting with 'Un', move on to 'C', etc etc.

Insert plea for the Beyond Good & Evil text entry system here:
bge-screenshot-1.jpg

This is just as bad as the one in the store. :/
I want to see a better version of this:
controllertyping.png

clintar

This is just as bad as the one in the store. :/

Have you used this before? As I recall this input method allows a corkscrew continuous spinning to get to all the letters of the alphabet, not a tap-left/right for each letter. It was pretty intuitive, but yeah, I like that one you posted, too.

Withnail

Honestly don't know why people hate the current search so much, it's way faster than a full pop-up keyboard would be because it reduces the number of available characters as you select them, and since it updates the results after each character it means you often don't have to enter the full search term. It's good for controller use.

the current store is fine. change is good.

No, the current store is terrible. It's slow, it's not organized well and it didn't make any improvements over the old version. Change can be bad. I mean hell, it's not even like the old store was great, but it was decent and passable.

barit

Yeah US store had always the best layouts. You could tell how SCEA really tries their best. I'm always jealous when logging in with my US account. EU stores feels cheap and dull compared to them. And I don't like the new design. Reminds me way to much of the Xbone ones. Try to find your own style Sony, you copycats!

Hexa

Have you used this before? As I recall this input method allows a corkscrew continuous spinning to get to all the letters of the alphabet, not a tap-left/right for each letter. It was pretty intuitive, but yeah, I like that one you posted, too.

Yeah, I replayed BG&E like a month ago. A linear stream that you have to pick letters off of that doesn't properly take into account as many input options as could easily be handled is a bad idea imo and even they flat keyboards that are currently common are better.
It annoys me the same way iPods used to back in the day. >_>

KyleCross

Whatever they do they just need to roll-back the store on PS3. It's been pretty much worthless for several years now, it was clear they didn't optimize it for PS3, damn thing even crashes the whole system half the time.

DR2K

Banned
Oh yeah I saw this page layout when I bought Assassins Creed Syndicate and went to the game page. It wasn't horrible.

NeoRausch

Honestly don't know why people hate the current search so much, it's way faster than a full pop-up keyboard would be because it reduces the number of available characters as you select them, and since it updates the results after each character it means you often don't have to enter the full search term. It's good for controller use.

PS4 software keyboard + motion control is waaaay faster.
They can leave the scroll thing and give me the option to use the keyboard.

I fired up Sonic Adventure 2 the other day and went to buy the DLC, and it seems it had the old store hard-coded into the game. It immediately rushed back to me how much better the old store app was versus the new sloggy shit they excreted into the PS3. Functionally it's a mess to behold on the PS4, despite being much snappier.

I have no idea what they were thinking getting rid of the old store app.

Logash

Not really digging the current store so I'm open to something new. Here's hoping that it's both faster and prettier.

Romez

The only problem I have with the current store is the search. I don't get why we can't search with a keyboard.

Logash

Also, can I please be able to full screen trailers from ads. Sometimes when I see an add on the store like for Uncharted or something I want to watch the f-ing trailer and it makes me watch the little box...

Magnus

Wonder if this will be ported to the ps3 and wonder if it will still run at 10fps or still crash nonstop.

Hopefully it'll make things easier to find, I don't understand why the tabs change every week.

The fact that it (a web store) actually runs poorly on its lead sku is hilarious to me. Why would it be anything other than silky smooth is beyond me. It's even worse on the PS3.

all lipstick on a pig if they don't improve the times they update the store on new releases, etc IMO.

honestly, I much rather them sack that Chen person or whoever is the overlord of the PSN store that decides when they feel its right to update the store every Tuesday. They need to get the store updated very early Tuesday morning, not Tuesday afternoon.

Top Bottom