• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Boney said:
this is the one that doesn't sit well with me.

Oh well

I'm of the opinion that what they mean is that it's easy to get code working on the system between the two. I'll gladly eat my crow if it has to happen, but going with R700 tech alone really puts me in a psuedo I'm_okay_with_this.jpg" kind of mindset.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
yoopoo said:
No rumors, Nintendo has a history of horrible online system. Including 3DS, so I'm assuming the new system wont be any different.
_Alkaline_ said:
To be fair, do you honestly expect a good online service on a Nintendo console?
To be completely honest with you, I'm waiting until the eShop goes live to see where I stand on this. But generally no.
They seem to know what to do and have a grasp on ideas but are to unwilling to jump in headfirst. Instead, they soak their feet in the water.

_Alkaline_ said:

1UP's Sam Kennedy also apparently said that "you'll want to play Call of Duty on PS3 or 360 instead," or something to that effect. Considering Nintendo's history, the most obvious interpretation of that would be as a reference to online features, but who knows.

_Alkaline_ said:
Why not? The 3DS online is going in the right direction.

Also, with the amount of money that Nintendo has made from the Wii and DS, you'd think they would invest some of that to create a new online network infrastructure.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Serenade said:
the quote is from a developer not the site's own conjecturer. If it says capabilities comparable to blah blah then that's what they mean.

The odd thing about is that 4.1 SM support and R700 based reports contradicts the graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360" statement.

antonz

Lonely1 said:
The odd thing about that, is that 4.1 SM support and R700 based reports contradicts graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360" statement.
Like I said it can all be a matter of perspective. You have enough people around Gaf saying a GPU 4 times more powerful than the Ps360 is junk.

Im sure alot of developers are morons too

yoopoo

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
Why not? The 3DS online is going in the right direction.

Also, with the amount of money that Nintendo has made from the Wii and DS, you'd think they would invest some of that to create a new online network infrastructure.
Are you kidding...3DS has the friend codes system. Its already a failure.

Big One

Banned
Could someone please fix that image link of the mockup made by that French site? Cause that could easily be our closest clue at what the new controller looks like.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Father_Brain said:
1UP's Sam Kennedy also apparently said that "you'll want to play Call of Duty on PS3 or 360 instead," or something to that effect. Considering Nintendo's history, the most obvious interpretation of that would be as a reference to online features, but who knows.
Wasn't he talking about the controller?

Lonely1 said:
The odd thing about that, is that 4.1 SM support and R700 based reports contradicts graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360" statement.

If I'm not mistaken, IGN is among those who reported that the system was "significantly" (whatever that means) more powerful. In another article, 01net states that IGN has confirmed everything they had previously reported. It seems weird to me because people tend to think that the stories are in conflict to begin with.

Instro

Lonely1 said:

Considering the french site was the only one reporting the "slightly above 360" line, maybe there was just a miscommunication or mistranslation from wherever they got their info. I mean at this point all major gaming sites have probably gotten all the same info through reliable sources so its a bit unlikely that they are all reporting incorrectly on the power.

If Cafe is it's codename, i'd say that the console allows you to be playing it around your television, then take the controller away with the game loaded in and to keep playing it, like takeaway console gaming. Perhaps.

Luigiv

antonz said:
It doesnt match with the specs they suggest either so not worth looking into it much. a 4X graphical improvement might be a notch to someone expect a 15x improvement
Yep. A 4x difference in graphics is roughly the same as that between the PS2 and Wii.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
antonz said:
Like I said it can all be a matter of perspective. You have enough people around Gaf saying a GPU 4 times more powerful than the Ps360 is junk.

Im sure alot of developers are morons too
Yes, i have said it before, almost anything under current high end would be reported as last gen, hence around Ps3/360.

Father_Brain said:
Brah if Sam Kennedy knew anything of note, he would say it and not just utter vague references as if he were a chracter on Lost.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lonely1 said:
The odd thing about is that 4.1 SM support and R700 based reports contradicts the graphics capabilities "roughly equal to those of the Xbox 360" statement.

Yeah, something isn't matching up with these rumors right now. I look forward to the investor meeting and E3 for more concrete details. Definitely want a more powerful console.

If Nintendo thinks they're going to sell a $350 console to the "hardcore" that is "roughly the same power as 360" they're crazy.

Baiano19 said:
Man, if this was true, Gaf would meltdown harder than the day Sega left hardware manufacture.

what you're saying you wouldn't like an nintendo café store. buy the lastest nintendo game while having a princess peach vanilla macchiato, then join the local multiplayer game of mario kart streamed to the controller you rented from the counter.it'd be hipper than an apple store i tell ya.

Azure J

DoomXploder7 said:
what you're saying you wouldn't like an nintendo café store. buy the lastest nintendo game while having a princess peach vanilla macchiato, then join the local multiplayer game of mario kart streamed to the controller you rented from the counter.it'd be hipper than an apple store i tell ya.

Heh, this all reminds me of the pimp ass cafeteria they had done in the office up in Redmond recently.

_Alkaline_ said:
I still find it incredibly odd what Nintendo is doing here. Are they planning to compete against the PS3/360 for the rest of their duration or will this also go up against their next two consoles? Is it a stop-gap or is this our first next-gen console?

Actually, this could benefit gamers. They're effectively staggering hardware releases with Sony and MS. So, instead of getting a new generation every 5/6 years, we'll be getting them every 2/3 years. Good for graphics whores.

Foffy

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
Actually, this could benefit gamers. They're effectively staggering hardware releases with Sony and MS. So, instead of getting a new generation every 5/6 years, we'll be getting them every 2/3 years. Good for graphics whores.

And very, very bad for wallets.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Nintendo will have situated themselves in a good position with Japanese developers struggling with developing on current gen HD consoles if the power musings are grounded in truth. That should keep things good for Japanese side of development well into next-gen.

Western third parties are definitely not going to give damn about it after Sony and Microsoft hit with their offerings though. And that point, we'll be back to the Wii situation on the western side of things.

I hope for their sake the surprise feature is a game changer

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
DoomXploder7 said:
what? when was this?link?

Miyamoto's interview in Paris:

Gameblog.fr said:
Gameblog:

Enfin pour conclure avec les objets, je vous ai ramené une tasse de... café ! Vous aurez compris que je fais référence au fameux « Projet Café », la Wii 2 en rumeur depuis quelques jours sur le net...

Miyamoto:

Oui, j'ai vu qu'on retrouve des rumeurs parlant de « Café ». A la fois j'ai envie de dire que c'est normal. Vous savez pour Nintendo, comme pour l'ensemble des autres constructeurs, notre métier est de concevoir de nouvelles machines. Nous estimons qu'il faut 5 ans pour faire de la Recherche & Développement intéressante. Après, j'avoue qu'il n'y a pas de fumée sans feu. Il faut bien voir que nous passons notre temps à développer des consoles de jeu en interne. Certaines que vous ne verrez jamais. Chez nous, tant que nous ne savons pas exactement où nous allons, et quand est-ce que nous sortirons notre prochaine console, nous ne communiquons pas publiquement. Mais il ne faut pas croire tout ce qu'on peut lire...

POWERSPHERE said:
If Cafe is it's codename, i'd say that the console allows you to be playing it around your television, then take the controller away with the game loaded in and to keep playing it, like takeaway console gaming. Perhaps.
I said this earlier in this thread, and I believe it's true now more than before. Why is nobody talking about this as a possible feature? Plus streetpass support...

Doorman

Fourth Storm said:
I'm still not convinced that's the best thing for developers or gamers both. That means developers wrestling with new hardware every two to three years as well, unless they continue to support old systems.

What you'd most likely end up with is the same sort of thing that happened this generation. They'd pick one of the "half-gens" to mainly support with the big efforts, leaving the other to wallow largely in shovelware and B-team efforts. Boy then you'd REALLY hate to bet on the wrong horse, because the situation could happen longer than a normal generational split would.

Fourth Storm said:

It's actually a good point.

Whereas people now argue that consumers will just decide to wait it out until PS4/Xbox720, the inverse of the argument is true too.

Why not invest in Cafe and wait until the release of Nintendo's next system to eclipse PS4/Xbox720?
Who decides when the "true" generation starts and ends?

Having the big 3 trade off in power superiority in this way seems like it would benefit everybody.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Doorman said:
I'm still not convinced that's the best thing for developers or gamers both. That means developers wrestling with new hardware every two to three years as well, unless they continue to support old systems.
But the iDevices will save us all!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
DragonKnight said:
Anybody still wanna call bs on Cafe being the codename?
I want to so bad, but unless Nintendo is commissioning people to make games for an espresso machine, there's evidence staring down at us. sadface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom