• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Wii U: latest system update has increased CPU, GPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
The update also download a liquid nitrogen cooler then?

If you make up shit, at least try to stay reasonable...

DonMigs85

This sounds pretty unlikely for a console.
Unless they were secretly hiding this extra oomph until the next-gen machines came out.

As bullshit as this story clearly is, the update can at least raise the clock speed a little though, can't it? (though obviously not that much)

After all, I'm pretty sure a PSP update once did that when God Of War was released on it.

That's because the PSP was underclocked to preserve battery life.

orioto

Good Art™
tumblr_mezhp51pkV1ra4ssmo1_500.gif

LOL

Wii U's all over the world would be popping and fizzing if that were true.

...The reality is that the CPU clock speed was only bumped to 1.65GHz and the GPU to 625MHz.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
But wouldn't it be hilarious if this were actually true, and Nintendo purposely underclocked the system to a ridiculous extent just so they could drop this bomb when the PS4/Infinity hype was building?

"BOOM, next gen, bitches!"

:loooooooooool

But really, this is dumb.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Articles such as this aren't exactly doing well to fight against the cyncism surrounding the integrity video game journalism.

Raide

I guess the thought could be that the system is heavily underclocked, so they can use a bump in speed as a way to not have the gap between 720/PS4 seems like a gigantic chasm.

Or its utter crap. :D

gundalf

You can't be serious. How can you even possibly believe that?

EDIT: I'm talking about this part:

This is so clearly false I don't even know where to begin. The Wii U doesn't have the cooling required for 3.24 Ghz is probably the most stand out one. The other being the total madness in increasing the clocks by that much after release.

How is this even a thread...

This depends on the used Core Voltage, it is possible that the WiiU CPU was already running at the for 3.24 GHz required Voltage. An very unlikely scenario but not entirely impossible or far fetched. This would also explain the the WiiU has on IDLE and Last the same power usage.

I'm pretty sure the CPU used in Wii U can't even possibly be clocked that high, so.... please don't get your hopes up. This is a rumor and most likely just BS.

Cheech

Hell of an overclock. Unless little red suited plumbers are breaking into homes and putting liquid cooling on Wii Us... And running without a case... And have fans blowing on the system at all times... Which still wouldn't be enough.

That's not to mention what that kind of overclock would do to the RAM, which most assuredly does not have sufficient active cooling either.

This was a pretty good laugh for the AM. Thanks OP.

There was a secret liquid cooler in the wii u this whole time and none of you bastards knew about it, well played Nintendo well played

you gotta be fucking kidding me, this is a whole new level of desperation

Hell of an overclock. Unless little red suited plumbers are breaking into homes and putting liquid cooling on Wii Us... And running without a case... And have fans blowing on the system at all times... Which still wouldn't be enough.

That's not to mention what that kind of overclock would do to the RAM, which most assuredly does not have sufficient active cooling either.

This was a pretty good laugh for the AM. Thanks OP.

What? RAM doesn't have anything to do with GPU or CPU overclock.

Nintendo must have transferred a whole bunch of extra Pikmin to every Wii U to get those clocks.

Espresso is a NCPPU* confirmed.

* Nintendo Central Pikmin Processing Unit (TM)

daxgame

Can we please add this site to the banned list?
Thanks.

Also I hope the mod will close this.
I mean, there really is nothing to discuss here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom