• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Xbox One GPU reserve getting smaller soon, down from 10% to 2%

Mikey Jr.

Microsoft had reserved 10% of the GPU resources for the OS. So it was 1.30*.9=1.17TFlops of GPU resources available to developers. If this reduction turns out true, then developers will have slightly more GPU grunt ~1.28TFlops.

It wont necessarily make a 720p game to 900/1080p or 30fps to 60fps but may help eek out more performance from the system, say they were able to get Titanfall running at 50-55fps may now get 55-60fps.

So the 10% was just laying there? It must have been used for something? Or is this just purely because of optimization?

In an another thread Chubigans was speculating via I think Mortimer that this might come at the expense of video not being snappable with games.

Not sure if this is a good idea if it costs one of your pillars to not be consistent across your ecosystem.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Doesnt this guy have a track record for being wrong
I was waiting for this thread all day, haha.

That's Thuway... And Mr.Dodd (=P) is almost always on target. And it he has doubts, he will say he has doubts. The certainty which he said it with, and the fact that it's not far fetched at all, makes this extremely likely to happen.

Another 8% is good and it's not gonna change the world, but these things are made out of an extra percentage here and there. Immediate effects are maybe more stable framerates.

Developers will have a +8% easier time.

Was the GPU the bottleneck of the console though?

Correct me if I'm wrong but, while more power to games is a great thing, I don't think an 8% increase will changed too much in terms of tangible benefits. Let me explain: While the console sees a small boost in power, it will not be enough to see a 30 fps to 60 fps difference and definitely not a 720 to 1080p difference. So the most this would do is (if all developers on the XBbone decide to unlock the framerate) have a game like Tomb Raider, for example, increase from 25-35 fps to 30-40 fps. If the developers decide to lock the framerate then it would be locked at 30 fps anyways and the extra power wouldn't be seen.

Again this is what I see from my very limited knowledge of hardware.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I assume this is the same "January" update that he has been talking about for a while now.

It seems more than a bit odd to me that MS has 8% of the GPU reserved for skeletal tracking at all times that was just sitting there and no one thought to use it.

I doubt it. I can't imagine Snap requires 8% of the GPU.

"Xbox One has a conservative 10 per cent time-sliced reservation on the GPU for system processing. This is used both for the GPGPU processing for Kinect and for the rendering of concurrent system content such as snap mode," Microsoft technical fellow Andrew Goossen told said.

They're keeping voice, prob skype voice calls and getting rid of video, meaning you probably won't be able to snap skype video calls or netflix, from what I'm understanding.

If they're keeping voice, they're getting rid of pretty much everything else, from what he's saying.
edit: in terms of splitting resources.

artist

Banned
So the 10% was just laying there? It must have been used for something? Or is this just purely because of optimization?
Optimization I can only assume.

I assume this is the same "January" update that he has been talking about for a while now.

It seems more than a bit odd to me that MS has 8% of the GPU reserved for skeletal tracking at all times that was just sitting there and no one thought to use it.
Developer feedback?

Every little bit helps. Not much of a change in bridging the very real power gap to the competition though.

Before - 1.31TF - 0.131TF = 1.179TF (x1) vs 1.84TF (PS4)
After - 1.31TF - 0.026TF = 1.28TF (x1) vs 1.84TF (PS4)

What's more interesting is that by doing this they appear to be admitting that Kinect's motion sensing bit is useless. If all you're going to use are voice commands why not use a mic not built into the camera like the PS4 and be done with it?

Tabular

Banned
This is good news for Xbox One owners if true. I never knew why they reserved GPU to Kinect even if the game didn't use it. I know the goal is to promote your advanced motion tracking by reserving resources to it but it's just not useful for lots of games.

Edit: Does this mean "Go To Home" gesture won't work on all games?

wouldn't that mean it won't get to be used in future games and was only there for the tech demo pre-e3?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In an another thread Chubigans was speculating via I think Mortimer that this might come at the expense of video not being snappable with games.

Not sure if this is a good idea if it costs one of your pillars to not be consistent across your ecosystem.

I don't want to give up snap for a small boost in GPU power for games.

Like, that is a very bad trade-off for me.

Because here in neogaf you must have two sources to post something like this, and @atpetedodd is famousmortimer, a gaffer, so him not posting it by himself means he has only one source.

I just meant that the article was on N4G like 22 hours ago or something when I saw it last. I thought one of us would of post that link to the site they linked to and so on.

Damn us. We are slippin!

Slashlen

The way it's worded doesn't sound like optimization. There was a video component which sound like it's simply gone now. It sounds like Kinect. Kinect is the only thing I can think of that would have a "voice" and "video" component. Most likely this is Kinect being able to respond to system commands/gestures during a game. I don't know if Kinect currently had any system gestures available during the game, but those are probably gone if they existed, or they will never arrive if they didn't.

Chobel

I just meant that the article was on N4G like 22 hours ago or something when I saw it last. I thought one of us would of post that link to the site they linked to and so on.

Damn us. We are slippin!

The problem is that all those articles have the same source, famousmortimer. I asked him if I can post it here in neogaf and he didn't reply so I thought he's still not comfortable sharing it here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Waiting for another delicious update from misterxmedia livejournal. ;D

Mort seems to have stopped posting this kind of stuff on GAF anymore. Noticed that thuway has stopped posting for awhile too. Even though both are kind of active on Twitter.

I'm not sure if its because of the whole double source thing or just the backlash in general he got the last time around...people calling him an attention whore and stuff like that.

freefornow

Gold Member
Because here in neogaf you must have two sources to post something like this, and @atpetedodd is famousmortimer, a gaffer, so him not posting it by himself means he has only one source.

Didn't stop him posting that insider "completely broken XB1 OS" prior to launch BS.
Why he is given oxygen I'll never know.

KoopaTheCasual

I think I am okay with them removing snapping. I think. Well, maybe except when I want to be up to speed on my sports while racing in forza.

Fuck.
Well Mort said it's "up to devs". So some games will probably leave snap functionality in tact, and other games, which are more intensive will disable snap, correct? Or am I super off base, here?

Jburton

Banned
Does not sound like its enough to make any real difference, certainly not going to change the differences between ps4 and x1 multiplatforms in terms of moving forward.

But more is better so it's a positive for X1 fans I just don't seeing it changing things like 1080p / 60 for TR Definitive compared to 1080p / 30.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Didn't stop him posting that insider "completely broken XB1 OS" prior to launch BS.
Why he is given oxygen I'll never know.

wasn't that sourced by cboat? and yeah they all stated that they could see it getting fixed by launch. party system is still worse than 360 atm.

Slashlen

Waiting for another delicious update from misterxmedia livejournal. ;D

Mort seems to have stopped posting this kind of stuff on GAF anymore. Noticed that thuway has stopped posting for awhile too. Even though both are kind of active on Twitter.

I'm not sure if its because of the whole double source thing or just the backlash in general he got the last time around...people calling him an attention whore and stuff like that.

Thuway got a ban after leaking some bad info without a 2nd source, so I think now he just does it on Twitter and waits for people to repost here.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That would be great, but I doubt it. They seem to have went all in on Kinect.

I'm not really sure they'd get rid of snap either, but who knows.

all in with kinect... as a x1 fan, its hardly fucking used currently. kinect sports rivals is what. march?

Mononoke

Banned
What?!?!? It took this long for this thread to be created. Ha.. nobody wanted to make it. I thought it was on page 2 or 3 when looking for it today.

Good stuff for us Xbox fans. I know it's not huge, but it's better than nothing.

Lock it at 60? I didn't notice any dips while rocking the hell out of that Alpha. Not saying it didn't.. just I didn't notice it. Played Ghost last night... Game felt slow compared to TF.

I beg to differ. Titanfall Alpha definitely didn't feel locked 60fps.

They're keeping voice, prob skype voice calls and getting rid of video, meaning you probably won't be able to snap skype video calls or netflix, from what I'm understanding.

If they're keeping voice, they're getting rid of pretty much everything else, from what he's saying.
edit: in terms of splitting resources.
I don't think they would be so quick to get rid of such an essential marketing feature, sounds like they're just working on better optimization and have freed up more power . They're using 3 OS systems to make this machine work, that's mistake number one. Will see how this plays out in the long run, as a programer I can guarantee you I could find ways to use this boost of power in significant ways. It's like Bethesda throwing a party when the original 360 went from 256 to 512. It makes that much of a difference. Not that I program for the Xbox One but the principle is the same.

Top Bottom