• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Xbox One GPU reserve getting smaller soon, down from 10% to 2%

I don't think they would be so quick to get rid of such an essential marketing feature, sounds like they're just working on better optimization and have freed up more power . They're using 3 OS systems to make this machine work, that's mistake number one. Will see how this plays out in the long run, as a programer I can guarantee you I could find ways to use this boost of power in significant ways. It's like Bethesda throwing a party when the original 360 went from 256 to 512. It makes that much of a difference. Not that I program for the Xbox One but the principle is the same.

Of course you can find ways to use the available power.
But they were reserving 10% for Kinect and Snap mode, both features.
They're now, supposedly, making a split between 2% voice and 8% video.
Voice will remain, which probably means Kinect voice commands and idk, skype voice calls.
Snap isn't the kind of feature i'd segregate into "voice".

Every little bit would help raise the bar that's for sure

Will it actually change anything though? They're not making the GPU faster, they're just letting devs get a closer to that 1.2Tf figure. It's more than a bit sad that they feel they have to let developers (who I predict almost always will, since it makes development easier) axe one of the main draws of the system just to inch a tiny bit closer to catching up with the PS4.

Too little, too late.

Huh so it's been on the books since June. Strange that it took this long. Wonder if TRDE was the final nail in the coffin and MS had to give to devs and unlock that extra 8%

It's such a tiny boost that it won't make much of a difference. Great for Xbone devs I guess but the PS4 still has a pretty huge power advantage.

All the number comparisons between the XB1 and the PS4 powerwise have almost always used the 1.3 tflop number for XB1 as it is unknown how much is reserved on PS4. As such this really doesn't change the spec comparisons much but hopefully will change the real world results albeit it's not going to be that much of a help but certainly better than nothing

hawk2025

iw saksed for thi.s in Jun

Damn. I guess the gap really is wider than Microsoft expected if they denied it before to IW but are now (possibly) changing their minds. Maybe it's just a ton of work to change this?

Or perhaps they underestimated the PR effects of constantly having news of inferior versions entering the news cycle.

Finalizer

Is that even gonna make a difference? Sounds negligible.

It's not a huge help, nothing that's gonna get you 60FPS on a 30FPS game or bump resolution up to 900p/1080p were applicable, but I'd imagine for framelocked games, you'll see less framerate dips & less significant dips when they do happen. It's still a pretty decent bump, and as any seasoned PC overclocker would tell you, every bit helps.

Now, that other 2% would be flat-out negligible if they bothered to free that up, so I'm not sure they'll bother on that front unless devs are really desperate & persistent, but I'm doubtful on that front.

In any case, it's good to see a gaming console dedicating its resources to games, where it counts. It's a good, smart move 'ere.

iw saksed for thi.s in Jun

Intredatsting.

Skilletor

Xbone owners thank based IW if this is true.

I don't get why XB1 users should be happy about this. It seems like people buying the console didn't do so because it was powerful, but because of the extra features (like snap) that the ps4 can't do. It'll probably get a bit closer to parity with ps4, but do XB1 users care if it means they can't use a feature they, potentially, chose the XB1 for?

Of course you can find ways to use the available power.
But they were reserving 10% for Kinect and Snap mode, both features.
They're now, supposedly, making a split between 2% voice and 8% video.
Voice will remain, which probably means Kinect voice commands and idk, skype voice calls.
Snap isn't the kind of feature i'd segregate into "voice".

Ah, ok I didn't read over that part carefully enough, was getting dinner. Weird, Still, this is going to have to do how they optimize the multitasking code they have in place for the 3 different OS systems. I believe they were having some issues with snap leading right up to and even after launch.

Asd202

Damn. I guess the gap really is wider than Microsoft expected if they denied it before to IW but are now (possibly) changing their minds.

Or perhaps they underestimated the PR effects of constantly having news of inferior versions entering the news cycle.

It's not going to change that Xbone will still be inferior but less so I guess.

I beg to differ. Titanfall Alpha definitely didn't feel locked 60fps.

I'm not saying it wasn't. I just couldn't tell. I was in awe of how much fun I was having. So much action.. so fast!

This is some good news no matter how small.

Would this be like adding girth, or length to ones penis?

Meh.. chicken or the egg.. am I right guyz!

don't mind me.. have had a few beers and enjoying the sunday evening. monday starts the work week.. doh!

Clockwork

Although I appreciate them trying to optimize the platform and make as many resources available to developers as possible, I have a hard time believing this is that significant of a change. In my opinion it's barely newsworthy.

At first I read CBOAT's post as 'I was axed for this in June'.

Infinity Ward are the new Epic, it seems. Too bad that possible power issues were discussed so late when nothing could be added, makes you wonder how little developer input actually went into the core design of this machine.

Nafai1123

Banned
Isn't it speculated that the "video" is reserved for snap functionality? Will they be disabling this for games that utilize the extra power?

Freki

Isn't it speculated that the "video" is reserved for snap functionality? Will they be disabling this for games that utilize the extra power?

If MS really sacrifices snap for more gaming performance they must be pretty desperate - it's one of the core pillars of their "vision".
I personally would welcome this though - games should be able to use the full potential of any console.

I don't get why XB1 users should be happy about this. It seems like people buying the console didn't do so because it was powerful, but because of the extra features (like snap) that the ps4 can't do. It'll probably get a bit closer to parity with ps4, but do XB1 users care if it means they can't use a feature they, potentially, chose the XB1 for?

Snap isn't going anywhere. Microsoft said, before the Xbox One came out, that they would eventually free up some of that 10% GPU reserve for developers. They aren't cutting features.

Top Bottom