• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors about the Wii (from 2ch)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
empanada said:
That would be pretty cool unless you live in a city where the weather is the same all year.

It would be cool, but that would mean like 2-4 days of snow MAX in Torino (Turin, Italy) during all year :(.

Neomoto

I could see a Nintendo / Disney style Kingdom Hearts. That would be pretty cool actually. They could even make a cross-over with the DS and Wii to make some serious money if these sales hold up

Hmm, maybe instead of Kingdom Hearts (Final Fantasy, Disney) they could to a parallel series called Dragon Hearts (Dragon Quest, Mario Universe)! 5m worldwide sales guaranteed! :D

Yoboman said:
KH seems hand-in-hand with FF so far. It could happen but I have my doubts. PS3 has FFXIII, and if we've noticed any trend with Square Enix is that when it comes to multi-platform development they don't like to strewn their userbase over too many systems. PS1, PS2 got the lions-share and so has DS. I'm sure wherever the big franchises are going, they'd like to strengthen the userbase with more games

But KH on Wii would make a lot of sense as well. Maybe a multi-tiered game. Square loves them so much after all
That's really not the case these days. Square Enix has stated outright that they want to see as even a race as possible among the console manufacturers. Also, now that Square and Enix are combined, they have much less reason to focus all their stuff on one platform. They have significantly more development and publishing resources than ever before and it's in their best interest to cover as many bases as possible; if you're able, as a publisher you want to make sure your brand is recognizable and appreciated by the broadest demographic possible. This also helps once people who formerly only owned one console buy additional consoles; you want your brand across all those consoles so existing fans of your brand have something to buy.

Neomoto

Yoboman said:
Would Disney agree to Nintendo characters in the game though?
Why not? I think Nintendo characters would suit the game better than Square Enix's characters. :) And besides, most of Nintendo characters are recognizable icons around the world. Just like Disney's characters. Put them together and you could have yourself a winning formula I think.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Chris Remo said:
That's really not the case these days. Square Enix has stated outright that they want to see as even a race as possible among the console manufacturers. Also, now that Square and Enix are combined, they have much less reason to focus all their stuff on one platform. They have significantly more development and publishing resources than ever before and it's in their best interest to cover as many bases as possible; if you're able, as a publisher you want to make sure your brand is recognizable and appreciated by the broadest demographic possible. This also helps once people who formerly only owned one console buy additional consoles; you want your brand across all those consoles so existing fans of your brand have something to buy.
Maybe you're right, that would make sense, in fact I think I remember reading that... but I'll wait to see their words dictated by their actions. So far they haven't done as you claim they promised (DS the good example)

Yoboman

Gold Member
Neomoto said:
Why not? I think Nintendo characters would suit the game better than Square Enix's characters. :) And besides, most of Nintendo characters are recognizable icons around the world. Just like Disney's characters. Put them together and you could have yourself a winning formula I think.
Disney may see that they're losing their position as the big second wheel in the Kingdom Hearts formula. Who knows, once Nintendo are in, they may start introducing more and more third party characters and Disney may become less relevant.

I don't know how much control they have on the IP though. And I'm not a mind reader either, I'm just curious how they'd react to other third party IPs being thrown in the mix.

Disney is what drives the sales. Ever been to a toy store - or hell, any department store - in Japan? Kiddy Land in particular has entire sides of the store dedicated just to Disney stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the sales in America were similarly motivated. Square would probably ditch the FF stuff before they ditched Disney.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Don't worry about AC being linked to the forecast channel. Even if it's true, it'd have to be a choice, else people without their Wiis online would be screwed.

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
That reminds me, I guess such a move would also make sense in the context of what Square said about not wanting to support PS3 too strongly. They've got a load of DS support going, but for Wii there are only spinoffs right now and no "main" S-E series that would compensate to any real degree when weighted against FFXIII. If FF has to stay on PS3 for the power factor and DQ has to go to the system with the greatest userbase, KH might be about all that's left to create any sense of "even" support. (I may be a Star Ocean fan but I'm not going to kid myself into believing it has any kind of comparable sales potential.)

If that's how they're deciding, I'd prefer them to revive the Chrono franchise for Wii. That will balance out the main FF nicely.

farnham

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Disney is what drives the sales. Ever been to a toy store - or hell, any department store - in Japan? Kiddy Land in particular has entire sides of the store dedicated just to Disney stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the sales in America were similarly motivated. Square would probably ditch the FF stuff before they ditched Disney.

but.. but . but ... teh pokemon

ccbfan

S-E would be stupid to make a

Disney-Nintendo-Squarenix Kingdom Hearts. All that would do is sell an extra million or two.

Now if they did a Disney-Squarenix and a Nintendo Squarenix, now they have 2 5+million franchises.

Also Kingdom Hearts was Sony's 2nd most successful rpg WW. DQ was third.

Saoh

farnham said:
- Square Enix and Disney agreed to put the next Kingdom Hearts on Nintendo Consoles

and i still wont buy it, ugh.

i want NiGHTS on Wii, i wanna see what all the fuzz is ab00t :) the youtube videos look fun but...

I don't know how much power Nomura has over where the KH series goes (probably not much) but I feel he would definitely lean towards PS3. He likes to push graphics, and the extra space for audio/dialogue (perhaps dual VA) is something he desires. Also even though I can see him making an engine from the ground up for a Wii release (which I would imagine would still be very impressive), I think he'd rather take advantage of experience with the White Engine, AC team.

In terms of demographic and sales potential, KH to Wii does seem to make a lot of sense. Not sure if the "big franchise for each console" theory applies however as in the end, the Wii could get DQX. If it does go to Wii, I don't imagine a big influx of Nintendo would occur however except for that possible "Mushroom Kingdom." The series seemed to be going through some embarrassing teen years with Part II as the FF characters played even less a part, many of the Disney worlds felt like they were there just to extend the game, and then there were the KH worlds which is where most of the story and interesting parts of the game were. Adding Nintendo IPs would stretch the storyline out even more.

Jiggy

justchris said:
If that's how they're deciding, I'd prefer them to revive the Chrono franchise for Wii. That will balance out the main FF nicely.
That's true and a nice idea that slipped my mind.
...Probably because I don't trust that they're willing or able to pull it off. :(

UltraMagnanimous said:
Hmm, maybe instead of Kingdom Hearts (Final Fantasy, Disney) they could to a parallel series called Dragon Hearts (Dragon Quest, Mario Universe)! 5m worldwide sales guaranteed! :D
I like your thinking, and DQ owns FF anyway.

xsarien

daedsiluap
EphemeralDream said:
I don't know how much power Nomura has over where the KH series goes (probably not much) but I feel he would definitely lean towards PS3. He likes to push graphics, and the extra space for audio/dialogue (perhaps dual VA) is something he desires. Also even though I can see him making an engine from the ground up for a Wii release (which I would imagine would still be very impressive), I think he'd rather take advantage of experience with the White Engine, AC team.

Look, I don't care where the hell it lands - a PS3 will grace my TV probably before the year is out - but seriously...how much horsepower do you think a game like Kingdom Hearts actually NEEDS?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
What the hey, here's another rumour:

An unconfirmed source has revealed that Nintendo are currently working on a wireless version of their Nunchuck attachment for the Wii remote.

This comes after many complaints from gamers who feel that the dangling wire which links the two devices, simply distracts from gameplay, especially in games which require significant movement of the arms, such as Wii Boxing or Call of Duty 3.

The Wii Nunchuck gets it's name from the martial arts weapon, the ''Nunchuckas'' because of the similarities in design; a chain/wire connects two heavier objects at either end. The wireless Nunchuck attachment will possibly undergo a name-change to make sense.

There's no reason for Nintendo not to make future wireless devices for the Wiimote - a wireless reciever would plug into the remote in place of any wires linking the two. Communications between Wiimote and Console would be as normal. The downside to this is the added drain on batteries, though with Nintendo's track record with their previous wireless technologies, we're sure they will leap this hurdle.

Nintendo were unable to comment at the time of press.

Although no official announcements have been made, we will certainly be following this story closely and hope to hear from Nintendo soon regarding the matter.

Yoboman said:
Disney may see that they're losing their position as the big second wheel in the Kingdom Hearts formula. Who knows, once Nintendo are in, they may start introducing more and more third party characters and Disney may become less relevant.

I don't know how much control they have on the IP though. And I'm not a mind reader either, I'm just curious how they'd react to other third party IPs being thrown in the mix.
I think the Square characters are already the distant second wheel in KH for most people.

Pellham

Banned
AniHawk said:
Uh, I'm pretty sure people consider Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War (Fire Emblem IV) the best. Thracia 776 is the sequel to THAT game and considered the hardest in the series.

The Japanese don't consider 4 the best in the series. 3 is the most popular and best selling title in the series, and 5 (Thracia) is considered the best among hardcore fans because it is the hardest and has the best scenario designs.

jarrod

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Capcom-made Zelda FTW? ;)
Unfortunately most of the GB Zelda team at Studio 1 went to Clover and worked on Obombi. Who knows where they are now. :(

Yoboman said:
Nomura seems hand-in-hand with PlayStation so far. It could happen but I have my doubts.
Fixed. :p

The only way I think we'll see KH3 on Wii instead of PS3 is if PDD5 takes over R&D for PDD1 (a la COM+)... though really that may happen, as the original KH team is gonna be busy with their FFXIII spinoff until 2008 or so anyway. Really though, the "franchise focus" argument for platform selection should've died with DQIX DS.... that'll have no bearing on where Kingdom Hearts ends up.

Stage On said:
They should have done Sword of Destiny or Sword of the Abyss or something instead, now THAT would be a good way to spin off the franchise.
I'm shocked it's not Sword of Symphonia or Sword of Phantasia... you'd think they'd at least want to relate it the games that were, y'know, made for Nintendo platforms. :/

UltraMagnanimous said:
QFT!!!

jarrod said:
I'm shocked it's not Sword of Symphonia or Sword of Phantasia... you'd think they'd at least want to relate it the games that were, y'know, made for Nintendo platforms. :/
I've said the same thing. However, considering PSP got the followup to the GBA Tales of the World games while DS got Tales of the Tempest, I think all Tales decisions are made randomly.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I've said the same thing. However, considering PSP got the followup to the GBA Tales of the World games while DS got Tales of the Tempest, I think all Tales decisions are made randomly.
True... but I wouldn't be surprised to see Narikiri Dungeon 4 on DS sooner or later either. I think by subtitling the PSP game Radiant Mythology, they've left themselves a back door to continue it on DS also, effectively splitting the TOW dungeon crawlers into 2 lines.

ethelred

jarrod said:
True... but I wouldn't be surprised to see Narikiri Dungeon 4 on DS sooner or later either. I think by subtitling the PSP game Radiant Mythology, they've left themselves a back door to continue it on DS also, effectively splitting the TOW dungeon crawlers into 2 lines.

Hardly strikes me as likely given the disparity of effort they put into the DS game versus the PSP games. Also hardly strikes me as likely given that the fanbase is rewarding the series' move to the PSP with strong sales.

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
Hardly strikes me as likely given the disparity of effort they put into the DS game versus the PSP games. Also hardly strikes me as likely given that the fanbase is rewarding the series' move to the PSP with strong sales.

a properly made tales of game could hit 500k on the DS... with games like ToT... not so much..

ethelred

farnham said:
why not.. most of the famitsu scans and stuff like that comes from 2ch ya know..

Yes, and there's a difference between passing on scans or other legitimate information or just passing on every single thing you read on 2ch that seems positive towards Ninty.

farnham said:
a properly made tales of game could hit 500k on the DS... with games like ToT... not so much..

As I said, Namco's quite clearly made its decision, and as long as the fanbase is supporting the series on the PSP they're not going to have reason to second guess the decision.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
What "disparity of effort"? Both platforms aren't getting much really (ancient ports or outsourced spinoffs)... seeing another spinoff for DS (closer in branding and appearance to the successful GBA games) wouldn't be surprising at all. If you think Tempest is the last Tales that DS will see, then I think you'll be surprised actually...

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
Yes, and there's a difference between passing on scans or other legitimate information or just passing on every single thing you read on 2ch that seems positive towards Ninty.

This is a rumor thread in the first place.. it says "rumor" there ...

ethelred said:
As I said, Namco's quite clearly made its decision, and as long as the fanbase is supporting the series on the PSP they're not going to have reason to second guess the decision.

Dunno.. the titles they released on PSP did not sell that well.. compared to the massive DS sales that is...

the bandai part.. which is managing bandai namco might think differently... Bandai will be backing the DS more since they sold a load of Digimon and Tamagotchi on DS..

i could see DS getting some major tales of games..

farnham

Banned
jarrod said:
What "disparity of effort"? Both platforms aren't getting much really (ancient ports or outsourced spinoffs)... seeing another spinoff for DS (closer in branding and appearance to the successful GBA games) wouldn't be surprising at all. If you think Tempest is the last Tales that DS will see, then I think you'll be surprised actually...

namco did put a lot of effort in the PSP

acecombat X
ridge racer
Tekken
Tales

every big namco name appeared on the PSP..

while the DS got.. pac pix (which was a decent game.. but thats pretty much it.)

Vargas

farnham said:
This is a rumor thread in the first place.. it says "rumor" there ...

Dunno.. the titles they released on PSP did not sell that well.. compared to the massive DS sales that is...

the bandai part.. which is managing bandai namco might think differently... Bandai will be backing the DS more since they sold a load of Digimon and Tamagotchi on DS..

What is it with the "..."? Must you finish all of your sentences with ...

goomba

Banned
I want channels for DVD's and music, especially as the Wii is so small.

Is there any reason for these not to exist?, especially when the Wii is not strickly a gaming machine as the Gamecube was.

ethelred

jarrod said:
What "disparity of effort"? Both platforms aren't getting much really (ancient ports or outsourced spinoffs)... seeing another spinoff for DS (closer in branding and appearance to the successful GBA games) wouldn't be surprising at all.

Um... well, you can tell yourself that all you like, I guess, Jarrod, but I think most reasonable observers would quite agree that Namco has put significantly more effort into its PSP projects than DS.

Yes, Jarrod, ports of Tales of Destiny 2 (not ancient), Tales of Phantasia, and Tales of Eternia, and a new release in a long-established sub-series developed by a studio with a long-established association with the series done with what appears to be a considerable degree of care and effort... does demonstrate a disparity of effort when levied against something outsourced to Dimps. Yes, Jarrod, it really, really does.

farnham said:

Namco has consistently put less effort into the DS compared to the PSP (Tales of the Tempest, Xenosaga DS... versus Ace Combat X, Ridge Racers 1/2, Tales of the World, Katamari, etc.). They've chosen their primary platform for portable development. People need to get over that. Yes, the DS is a success. Not every company in the world is going to fully back it or put all of their traditional games on it.

Bandai franchises and Bandai side games will certainly continue. Namco's stuff is being handled differently.

I seriously doubt the DS will be getting "some major Tales of games." And you're kidding yourself if you think the PSP Tales games haven't sold well. They have. They've easily kept pace with the sales the series generated on the GBA, for instance...

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Um... well, you can tell yourself that all you like, I guess, Jarrod, but I think most reasonable observers would quite agree that Namco has put significantly more effort into its PSP projects than DS.

Yes, Jarrod, ports of Tales of Destiny 2 (not ancient), Tales of Phantasia, and Tales of Eternia, and a new release in a long-established sub-series developed by a studio with a long-established association with the series done with what appears to be a considerable degree of care and effort... does demonstrate a disparity of effort when levied against something outsourced to Dimps. Yes, Jarrod, it really, really does.
I'm just saying both are getting rather low end efforts, obviously more care's going to go into an Alfa System game versus a Dimps game. But spinoffs and old ports really don't amount to much in the end.

I still don't see how Namco's sending clear signals that DS Tales is finished and there's no chance of maybe getting an AS dungeon crawl... maybe there'd be a better case for that had the PSP game had "Narikiri Dungeon" somewhere in the title...

Btw, TOD2 is just as "ancient" as TOE was when it released on PSP.

ethelred said:
Namco has consistently put less effort into the DS compared to the PSP (Tales of the Tempest, Xenosaga DS... versus Ace Combat X, Ridge Racers 1/2, Tales of the World, Katamari, etc.). They've chosen their primary platform for portable development. People need to get over that. Yes, the DS is a success. Not every company in the world is going to fully back it or put all of their traditional games on it.
Not all of Namco... it's worth pointing out that Yoshizawa's teams (ie: the people who make Mr. Driller & Klonoa) have done 5 DS games and no PSP games. Monolith pretty clearly isn't interested in PSP either (though Namco management's not really let them do all the DS projects they'd like to either).

PSP seems to be getting a lot of crossover from traditionally PlayStation franchises, but that's more to do with the ideologies behind the platform imo. DS is still getting some notable Namco content though, usually new concepts tailored around the platform's design (ie: Machigai Museum, Kaitou Rousseau, etc). And really, DS is even getting some "PlayStation games" too when the design makes sense (ie: Point Blank, Mojipittan, etc). It's less about "effort" and more about "branding" in PSP's favor really, few of Namco's DS are really badly made... unfortunately it seems to just be the RPGs really (Tempest & Xenosaga), but it's been speculated those were both late term reworkings of games intended for GBA and/or mobile phones.

ethelred said:
I seriously doubt the DS will be getting "some major Tales of games." And you're kidding yourself if you think the PSP Tales games haven't sold well. They have. They've easily kept pace with the sales the series generated on the GBA, for instance...
Phantasia FVE tanked actually, though it was like the 4th release of Phantasia. It sold around half what the GBA Phantasia did iirc.

Eternia outsold all the GBA Tales games though, and RM's on target to pass ND2-3 by a wide margin. Then again, Tempest didn't sell too badly when compared to the GBA Tales either... it's outsold everything but ND2.

ethelred

jarrod said:
I'm just saying both are getting rather low end efforts, obviously more care's going to go into an Alfa System game versus a Dimps game. But spinoffs and old ports really don't amount to much in the end.

Right, and I'm saying I don't agree. Radiant Mythology is a pretty strong effort for a portable third party game from someone not Square Enix.

jarrod said:
PSP seems to be getting a lot of crossover from traditionally PlayStation franchises, but that's more to do with the ideologies behind the platform imo. DS is still getting some notable Namco content though, usually new concepts tailored around the platform's design (ie: Machigai Museum, Kaitou Rousseau, etc). And really, DS is even getting some "PlayStation games" when the design makes sense (ie: Point Blank, Mojipittan, etc). It's less about "effort" and more about "branding" in PSP's favor really, few of Namco's DS are really badly made... unfortunately it seems to just be the RPGs really (Tempest & Xenosaga), but it's been speculated those were late term reworkings for games intended for GBA and/or mobile platforms.

I wouldn't say most are badly made, but I would say that most have been very low budget (even for portable games), very low in terms of development-resource intensive, low in terms of marketing... I mean, you point out stuff like Mr. Driller and Point Blank and then in the same breath say there's no disparity of effort? Come on...

jarrod said:
Phantasia FVE tanked actually, though it was like the 4th release of Phantasia. It sold around half what the GBA Phantasia did iirc.

You do not recall correctly. Phantasia FVE sold over 100k -- compared to a whopping 150k for the game on the GBA. I'd say the 4th version of the game doing over 2/3rds of the 3rd version's sales is not "tanking" by any stretch.

jarrod said:
Eternia outsold all the GBA Tales games though, and RM's on target to pass ND2-3.

Like I said: strong sales, support from the fanbase, reaffirmation (in Namco's eyes) of the right decision being made.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Right, and I'm saying I don't agree. Radiant Mythology is a pretty strong effort for a portable third party game from someone not Square Enix.
No stronger than Narikiri Dungeon 1-3 though really given the platforms... and even then, why would a strong PSP entry inherently imply there's no potential for a likeminded DS release? Maybe if the PSP game actually continued the branding of the GB efforts, but that's not really the case either...

ethelred said:
I wouldn't say most are badly made, but I would say that most have been very low budget (even for portable games), very low in terms of development-resource intensive, low in terms of marketing... I mean, you point out stuff like Mr. Driller and Point Blank and then in the same breath say there's no disparity of effort? Come on...
I'd say budgets are aligned to platform capablity. It's more about Namco being one of the few to push PSP... though even that's arguable these days, with titles like Ace Combat X, Moto GP SP and Ridge Racers 2 getting lukewarm receptions. They essentially hit hit the gold standard in 2004 with RR1 and sort don't feel bothered to push further. :/

And the point in brining up Yoshizawa's teams was just in showing not all of Namco is PSP centered. Their projects may be low budget (though they have been for awhile now anyway, well before DS), but that's still greater than no budget (what they're giving to PSP).

ethelred said:
You do not recall correctly. Phantasia FVE sold over 100k -- compared to a whopping 150k for the game on the GBA. I'd say the 4th version of the game doing over 2/3rds of the 3rd version's sales is not "tanking" by any stretch.
Over 100k? I thought it was 66k 1st week... then dropped off the chart? :/

Again, I don't think the sales are bad per se really, given the context and all... though it's still pretty low for a Tales game.

ethelred said:
Like I said: strong sales, support from the fanbase, reaffirmation (in Namco's eyes) of the right decision being made.
But Tempest sold comparably well also (even if well below it's production... though that's more Scamco's usual retardedness). Yet we're to conclude no more Tales for DS?

Top Bottom