• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Bayonetta 2 Cancelled

Yeah, a fanboy for great games with great gameplay that have high review scores.

*rolls eyes*

If you're gonna troll, junior. Put some effort into it.

Yeah dude it's totally incomprehensible that people might dislike the games artstyle or cutscenes. Incomprehensible. Must call them out for being juniors and trolls, that will put them in their place. GG CONVERSATION WON.

Facism

Yeah dude it's totally incomprehensible that people might dislike the games artstyle or cutscenes. Incomprehensible. Must call them out for being juniors and trolls, that will put them in their place. GG CONVERSATION WON.

how to go from an attacking position to a defensive one in 2 posts. Clearly a lack of faith in one's own opinion.

gogojira

I'm not sure what sort of meaningful conversation you were looking for with your "fanboy much?" comment.

On topic, it sucks that this rumored cancellation of a rumored game is happening. But what's worse is there likely won't be a definite answer unless Sega does something awesome and actually follows through with a sequel. If it is indeed canceled, then there won't be an official announcement because it only exists in rumored form.

I'm not sure what sort of meaningful conversation you were looking for with your "fanboy much?" comment.

On topic, it sucks that this rumored cancellation of a rumored game is happening. But what's worse is there likely won't be a definite answer unless Sega does something awesome and actually follows through with a sequel. If it is indeed canceled, then there won't be an official announcement because it only exists in rumored form.

It's a mystery to me as well. You mess with the bulls, you get the horns.

What is incomprehensible to me is that some people value aesthetics in an action game more than you know, how it plays. Action games are mostly about the gameplay, and...the....um, the action? Aesthetics play a role too, but saying an amazing playing game is shit because you don't like a way a character is designed is incredibly narrow-minded to me.

If you're looking for tightly-woven stories that are filled with intrigue and twists and turns, and western art direction and character design....well, you're welcome to visit the many God of War threads, or especially the DmC thread! That seems much more your speed.

After giving this some thought, I'm actually totally ok with this.

Remember Bayonetta would of always remained a sega IP. it was too entrenched in sega fanservice to not to.

At some point platinum and sega would have to part ways. They would of never become an in-house studio.

This means while we don't know the ins and outs of Bayo 2, at some point if the franchise continued there would be version without platinum and most importantly Kamiya involved.

Now no offence but would you trust SEGA to do the IP justice? I'd rather Bayonetta leave as one the greatest action games of all time, than to reduced to bullet witch 2 by its second or third entry.

Likewise, remember how much content was in Bayo 1, do you think a publisher is going to miss the opportunity to milk the fanbase by withholding content again?

And lasty, do you feel that kamiya is that limited that he cannot make another breakout IP again? Look at his track record. He is far from a one hit wonder. Long as he is still making games, we will be ok.

And lasty, do you feel that kamiya is that limited that he cannot make another breakout IP again? Look at his track record. He is far from a one hit wonder. Long as he is still making games, we will be ok.

Yeah, that's not the point. I loved Bayonetta as a Character that's why it's so sad. Of course Kamiya can work on whatever he wants and it might turn out to be awesome, no doubt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I guess the press must not have Kamiya on permanent twitter if they can't tell that he is 100% troll

"Next week's games magazines" is my latest, favourite version of "when it's done".

Yeah, that's not the point. I loved Bayonetta as a Character that's why it's so sad. Of course Kamiya can work on whatever he wants and it might turn out to be awesome, no doubt.

I do too but let be honest, outside of prequels, there isn't much you can do character development wise once you get powerful enough to punch god into the sun.

It's a mystery to me as well. You mess with the bulls, you get the horns.

What is incomprehensible to me is that some people value aesthetics in an action game more than you know, how it plays. Action games are mostly about the gameplay, and...the....um, the action? Aesthetics play a role too, but saying an amazing playing game is shit because you don't like a way a character is designed is incredibly narrow-minded to me.

If you're looking for tightly-woven stories that are filled with intrigue and twists and turns, and western art direction and character design....well, you're welcome to visit the many God of War threads, or especially the DmC thread! That seems much more your speed.

Your immediate response to my 1st post in this thread was to imply that i was not only not serious in my opinion but also possibly not human. That was your goddam response. Yeah. Real.

And did I say it was "shit" purely due to the character design and despite its gameplay? Hmmm. No, I didn't. Yet you manage to now attribute that opinion to me and then condemn me as narrow minded for the straw man of your own creation. Woooooo.

Maybe, just maybe if, instead of making a sequel to Bayonetta, they put their good gameplay in a new IP where the cutscenes aren't pure bullshit and a net liability to the likeability of the game and the visual design isn't a turn off for a large section of their potential audience they might find some widespread success instead of niche sales. Maybe that might be much better than making a sequel to a game that sold mediocre numbers despite its good gameplay, maybe, just maybe, because many people didn't like the games visual design and storytelling.

Rtas

Considering how untrustworthy a source that website is I severely doubt its been cancelled, also considering that Platinum are working on MGS:Revengence I doubt that they're in all that much trouble even if sega are. If sega has dropped bayonetta, considering its popularity I wouldn't be surprised if another publisher jumps in

Riposte

I do too but let be honest, outside of prequels, there isn't much you can do character development wise once you get powerful enough to punch god into the sun.

I was more or less under the assumption Bayonetta could have done that from the start.

EDIT: Actually nevermind... she was getting more powerful wasn't she? The whole
time travel thing
mixed with "Perception is Reality".

Maybe, just maybe if, instead of making a sequel to Bayonetta, they put their good gameplay in a new IP where the cutscenes aren't pure bullshit and a net liability to the likeability of the game and the visual design isn't a turn off for a large section of their potential audience they might find some widespread success instead of niche sales. Maybe that might be much better than making a sequel to a game that sold mediocre numbers despite its good gameplay, maybe, just maybe, because many people didn't like the games visual design and storytelling.

Kamiya does the games he likes, not the ones who sell. And that's why we love them so much. If I wanted to play a game with more appeal to a wider audience I'd play some western game.

If sega has dropped bayonetta, considering its popularity I wouldn't be surprised if another publisher jumps in
While true, Sega owns the IP not PG.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Then what the fuck are you in here for?

After giving this some thought, I'm actually totally ok with this.

Remember Bayonetta would of always remained a sega IP. it was too entrenched in sega fanservice to not to.

At some point platinum and sega would have to part ways. They would of never become an in-house studio.

This means while we don't know the ins and outs of Bayo 2, at some point if the franchise continued there would be version without platinum and most importantly Kamiya involved.

Now no offence but would you trust SEGA to do the IP justice? I'd rather Bayonetta leave as one the greatest action games of all time, than to reduced to bullet witch 2 by its second or third entry.

Likewise, remember how much content was in Bayo 1, do you think a publisher is going to miss the opportunity to milk the fanbase by withholding content again?

Now this is a proper way to make a counter argument. And I do agree. Look what happened to DMC after Hideki Kamiya left.

Jintor

I can't help but feel making a game specifically to appeal to a wide demographic, as opposed to what the designers feel is amusing or cool, is losing somehow. It's not like B is some multi-billion dollar behamoth that absolutely needs to sell bajillions to earn its operating budget back.

Rtas

While true, Sega owns the IP not PG.

Well if they're in as much trouble as some people in this thread think it wouldn't be that far-fetched for them to sell the rights to the IP, it wouldn't be the first time a publisher sold its IP rights when in severe financial trouble.

"DMC2"? What the fuck are guys even talking about? Everybody knows Capcom misnumbered from 1 to 3 with DMC and everybody just rolled with it.

Refering to DMC2. And we shall never EVER speak of it again

Let's talk about it very briefly. Wasn't everyone on the staff of DMC2 the same staff that went on to make DMC3? I always remember hearing how DMC2 started off as a completely different project, and they decided to turn it into a sequel at the last second.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
"DMC2"? What the fuck are guys even talking about? Everybody knows Capcom misnumbered from 1 to 3 with DMC and everybody just rolled with it.

Exactly. There was nothing between DMC 1 and 3, and I'm pretty happy with that. :)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Let's talk about it very briefly. Wasn't everyone on the staff of DMC2 the same staff that went on to make DMC3? I always remember hearing how DMC2 started off as a completely different project, and they decided to turn it into a sequel at the last second.

I never heard of that for *cough*DMC2*cough*. However, DMC did originally start out as Resident Evil 4. It was a radical departure in gaming mechanics and story. So much so that it was better to make it a whole new game.

That's right. Also kamiya hadn't left Capcom then, he was just busy with another title. But instead of waiting for kamiya finishing it and work on DMC2, Capcom wanted to milk the franchise as fast as possible.

xxczx

I'd be okay if there isn't Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta ended off nicely.

Vanquish on the other hand...

Anteater

WYLgk.png

I was more or less under the assumption Bayonetta could have done that from the start.

EDIT: Actually nevermind... she was getting more powerful wasn't she? The whole
time travel thing
mixed with "Perception is Reality".

Yeah. Although it was never explained if she did that final summon by herself (it's supposed to kill outright any
Witch that tries) or did Jeanne help her off screen. You see white hair mix with black but that doesn't change the fact that just performing the summon alone should have killed Bayo.

Jarmel

Banned
how to go from an attacking position to a defensive one in 2 posts. Clearly a lack of faith in one's own opinion.

The other guy did use the bullshit junior statement, I can't blame him for being mad. It's amazing that mods let people still use that insult.

Some of the comments crack me up. Dantes Inferno novel tie-in :D Modern Warfare sales comparison :D Nice going, even though I'm not sure if these are ironic statements from neutral parties (I believe so), serious answers from anti-Bayonetta-forces (hey I know people who disliked that game personally. As much as I love Bayonetta, it just wasn't for everybody) or Bayonetta-hardcore fanboys who are losing it and now become crazy (then they'd need help). But who knows, even the staff at Platinum is trolling around. Maybe they post here, as well?

Whatever, as sad as this topic is, the thread itself is highly amusing at this point.

Well if they're in as much trouble as some people in this thread think it wouldn't be that far-fetched for them to sell the rights to the IP, it wouldn't be the first time a publisher sold its IP rights when in severe financial trouble.

They're not in danger of dying, but they are clearly trying to cut and limit their losses.

This is easily researchable.

Top Bottom