• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] GTA Single player DLC has been replaced with online map expansions model.

That is so depressing. I would happily buy all of that for singleplayer, but GTA Online is just such a miserable experience that I'm not even interested.

Harp

People seem to be enjoying GTA online. Seems like the right thing to support. It's not like there not making GTA 6.

Axial

post-41730-alan-rickm0dshy.gif

calder

Seems like a pretty dubious leak, but certainly not impossible to believe. But...

The one question i keep thinking whenever i hear how amazing GTAO is doing:

Who ARE these people!?

I know! Every single time I try to play GTAO I get frustrated and bored half an hour in and give it up for a few months. Trying to play with my friends/family is a struggle of epic proportions and then, when I'm magically able to join the same session as 2 of my brothers (sorry whoever can't connect this time!) it's loading screen after loading screen while we spend another 10 minutes trying to figure out why someone dropped off.

Eidan

For as great as this all sounds, this is still all I can think of with GTA Online:

It does get better with friends, of course, but ehh.

I just remember getting kicked out of lobbies a lot. After the third straight time I was kicked out (I assume because of my ranking, who knows), I gave up.

I generally keep all GTA leaks with a grain of salt. If you google "GTA Leak" or "GTAVI Rumors" it's all complete crap. Hundreds of videos of "Extreme leaker and hacker xXSandyBoy69xXNinja found this info in the .BAT files which proves Liberty CIty is coming to GTA Online!" and it's a 11 minute video that shows one line of dialog that mentions Liberty City.

But ... This seems to be the case already. Rockstar, in interviews, said multiple times that they'd be releasing more single player content in Los Santos, and that has been thoroughly abandoned in favor of the walled garden GTA Online approach, which has made them more money at less cost. It's frustrating as a person who really enjoys the GTA V single player world over the GTA Online world, but it's just business. GTA Online prints money for Rockstar at such little development cost that it's just too obvious.

GTA V's Los Santos is going to go down in history for me as such an untapped potential for great story telling that Rockstar abandoned in favor of selling under carriage lights for $75,000gta or $1.25 US.

THat said what's been detailed in the OP is obviously not real. It's a wishlist of features from the community.

Fucking A right on. Give me more GTA Online fuckery. Bring it. I'm down.

I love GTA Online. Not really a fan of the single player campaign to be honest, I've played & had far more fun online than I did in single player. This news, should it be real, is exactly what I hoped for and I couldn't be more excited.

As someone who bought and enjoyed all the SP DLOC for GTAIV, this bums me right the hell out. I loved GTAV and couldn't wait for some more stories in that world.

Braag

Shame, their SP DLC for GTAIV and RDR were great. I doubt we'll see content like that from them anymore, just online stuff.

Cepheus

I would have been OK with it if they had sacrificed development time for singleplayer DLC in order to overhaul GTAO to make it nigh-on impossible to hack into without serious consequences (Like Steam's VAC), but this current decision sucks. You will not find a server on the PC version that doesn't have at least one hacker in it and Rockstar doesn't give one.

I know! Every single time I try to play GTAO I get frustrated and bored half an hour in and give it up for a few months. Trying to play with my friends/family is a struggle of epic proportions and then, when I'm magically able to join the same session as 2 of my brothers (sorry whoever can't connect this time!) it's loading screen after loading screen while we spend another 10 minutes trying to figure out why someone dropped off.
This may be too little too late, but when trying to play with others specifically, try creating either a friends only, crew only, or invite only lobby. The world loads in a fraction of the time, and you can easily invite your friends in.

I still play GTA online from time to time with my brother and a friend. Sorry for this guys.

Although I don't buy shark cards. Would never do that.

Forkball

Well considering we are in YEAR THREE of having no single player expansion, I can't say I'm surprised.

Though GTAV's map was basically designed with a heavy emphasis on Online. Places like the military base or prison have almost no presence in the single player game, yet are focused upon in the online portion.

I enjoyed what I played of GTA Online, but everything was just too slow and laggy. Maybe they fixed it from the PC launch, but it took FOREVER to load into the game, FOREVER to find people, FOREVER to actually load the mission and then it ends when some idiot dies and the loading cycle commences.

I don't even know what RDR Online is going to consist of. "Yeah man, check out my new HORSE. It's tan with white spots."

Red Dead Online is going to be the same fucking garbage. Terrible shame considering how freaking good and innovative Red Dead Redemption's online was.

Acidote

IF that was to be true... it would also be sad considering one of the GTAIV DLCs (TBOGT) is miles better than the base game.

Piers

I generally keep all GTA leaks with a grain of salt. If you google "GTA Leak" or "GTAVI Rumors" it's all complete crap. Hundreds of videos of "Extreme leaker and hacker xXSandyBoy69xXNinja found this info in the .BAT files which proves Liberty CIty is coming to GTA Online!" and it's a 11 minute video that shows one line of dialog that mentions Liberty City.

But ... This seems to be the case already. Rockstar, in interviews, said multiple times that they'd be releasing more single player content in Los Santos, and that has been thoroughly abandoned in favor of the walled garden GTA Online approach, which has made them more money at less cost. It's frustrating as a person who really enjoys the GTA V single player world over the GTA Online world, but it's just business. GTA Online prints money for Rockstar at such little development cost that it's just too obvious.

GTA V's Los Santos is going to go down in history for me as such an untapped potential for great story telling that Rockstar abandoned in favor of selling under carriage lights for $75,000gta or $1.25 US.

THat said what's been detailed in the OP is obviously not real. It's a wishlist of features from the community.

It sounds logistically insane, too, really. You think of how much GTAV's San Andreas has been utilised with missions, being economical with assets.
They cannot simply import GTA IV's world over. And even if they could, it'd still need huge amount of busy-work just to get it looking even remotely as busy as Los Santos.
That's before even adding anything for players to do.

rhandino

Banned
I mean, is anyone really shocked or surprised? GTA Online has slowly but surely replacing the "core" GTA experience for a lot of people since launch (even more when the current gen ports and PC release launched) and its generating them a TON of money.

gret84.gif

Shredderi

It's obviously doing super good for them but... How? Everyone I know who play games has played GTA5. Literally none of them has even tried GTAO.

Rellik

I mean, is anyone really shocked or surprised? GTA Online has slowly but surely replacing the "core" GTA experience since the launch problems were fixed and its generating them a TON of money.

gret84.gif

I doubt anyone would be surprised at no single player DLC, just disappointed.

Maddanth

I wonder how the success of GTAO will impact RDR2's design.
That's the scary part for me at least. Not big on the multiplayer aspect and always loved R* single payer stuff. Oh well shit. They really could of still released single player Dlc considering the $$$ that was made for online. Guess it's a business at the end of the day lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you're gonna dole out map packs for full 60 dollar pricing, what is the point of making it online only, anyway? I mean, the geometry and stuff is all there, from a level design perspective there's no reason to not make it accessible in singleplayer. All you do is cut off people who are not interested in the online portion.

This makes no sense.

As others have said, I doubt this is the case, especially the mention of Vice CIty or future map expansions being online only. I believe that Single Player DLC plans for GTAV were shelved in favor of crappy content packs for GTA Online, but Rockstar isn't stupid enough to abandon a huge percentage of their player base by making Vice City or Liberty City online-only, without implementing a significant single-player (or solo connected) component to it. GTA Online is already prohibitive to new players joining. If you're starting out in GTA Online, the first 10 - 20 hours are terrible for you... THere's no real tutorial, nothing works (the tutorial race doesn't work because there's no other players to start it with you), everything is a mystery, and then you just get pinged endlessly for features that aren't even available to your character. "Hey upgrade your low-rider at Bennys!" Well, a Low-rider costs $300,000 and upgrades cost $50,000/each, which no new player will ever have enough money for.

So if R* released big map expansions that were only for Online players, they're not going to get very many new players. GTA Online is prohibitive for new players.

Seems like a pretty dubious leak, but certainly not impossible to believe. But...

This. I've played a fair amount of GTA Online... Level 80 or 85 or so, and I don't grind or anything like that. The experience is similar to this for basically anybody. Trying to coordinate things with friends was always flummoxed by bugs, glitches, connection issues. You'd play a "job" together which would take 5 minutes of loading, only to be split up into other lobbies. You'd finally get into a lobby again toegther and suddenyl everybody would drop from one player's lobby, and he'd have to reconnect to join his friends, etc.

These problems are still prevalent in the game. I've never played 2-3 hours of GTA Online with a friend without something like this happening.

They never introduced a true party system to the game where you could play modes with other people. Virtually every job is empty unless it's a featured (2x RP or 2x money) job. Any time you do get into a game with 8 or so people, usually somebody drops, OR the game launches and every random person switches to 1 team so it ends up being 7 vs. 1, and people are doing that just to farm money.

Even if you do successfully get a 4 vs 4 game, the likelihood someone drops, and then someone switches teams, etc., is so high. I don't think i've ever seen multiple balanced matches before one after the other. And, eventually, your room just votes in a grinding race.

Top Bottom