• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

Sorcerer

Gabe is already worth 5bn, a completely abstract sun of money that will never run out. He's got no real motivation to turn 5 into 20 and it's not like he thinks it'll end up in good hands.

I believe MS made the offer, I don't believe it'll happen
Gabe has access to every game on Steam (50,000) for free. What more does a man need???
I wonder how long it takes Gabe to scoll down to Z when he wants to play Zoo Tycoon?

Last edited:

SHA

I don't think this is true at all.

But I could see Gabe retiring on $16bn in his lair in New Zealand.
If he can't count to 3, it's super easy for him to just run away cause he's running out of ideas, I mean he's pretty senile about making better games graphically, he'll just stick with his modest ideals, that's senile times 100, he should stay away from this industry or games won't get any better.

baphomet

Lol, how fucking stupid would you have to believe that.

They essentially get 30% of all PC games sales. So all the GTA's, Call of Duty's, Assassins Creeds, and so on, Valve gets 30% of that. All while spending literally $0 to develop or market any of it.

Last edited:
I have no doubt Microsoft has tried to buy Valve countless times and the fact remains that Gabe isn't selling. Maybe he will one day. and MS will be the largest bidder. But a part of me also thinks he wants to keep the company small and private and will just pass it down to whoever is logically next in line to run the company

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

This fits with above:

They arent preparing on offer, they already offered them 30 billion, and the deal is already done, and Gabe is already on his private jet to his private island that he just bought with the bags of money he just received. Lol

Kumomeme

next : Microsoft approach Nintendo

OHH WAIT....

67ea2123-c8d1-4510-92a7-c629fa542267_text.gif

THE DUCK

next : Microsoft approach Nintendo

OHH WAIT....

67ea2123-c8d1-4510-92a7-c629fa542267_text.gif

I always thought if ms lost the battle with Sony, they would offer thier services exclusively to the next Nintendo console, or try and partner with them somehow.
But without a dedicated home console skew, and Nintendo needing them less than in the past, this seems a lot less likely.

bigdad2007

The FTC and other regulators would never let it happen anyway. They barely were able to acquire Activision, buying another huge publisher and the biggest PC gaming store would be blocked.

xrnzaaas

From what I understand, they only sold 3 or 4 million steam decks. Love mine but I don't think the value hardware division is going to get anyone intersted in large profits that excited.
Nor do I think owning Half Life gets anyone that excited. So, ya, the storefront, which generates around 15 Billion a year in revenue, of which we know 70% goes to the game developers. So that leaves about 5 billion a year, minus costs on staff, overhead, servers, etc.
Not sure why 16 Billion wouldn't be a lot of money, depending on what the actual profit margins are.
I wouldn't look only at the revenue and profit margins, you'd be basically taking over the majority of how PC gaming is handled and Steam's owners must also have a really good incentive to be willing to sell their company, especially since Valve is not in any financial trouble.

THE DUCK

I wouldn't look only at the revenue and profit margins, you'd be basically taking over the majority of how PC gaming is handled and Steam's owners must also have a really good incentive to be willing to sell their company, especially since Valve is not in any financial trouble.

Well if I'm a Valve long time employee, and I have a bunch of stock, which may or may not be easy to change into cash, and ms comes in and makes this offer, it could mean millions in cash to a big group of employees. That might do it. But Gabe has to want to do it too, really probably only makes sense if he wants to retire.

Hohenheim

I don't know what he means by this. Does he mean that MS is actually preparing a $160B offer, a $1.6B offer, or there is no offer? He doesn't even remotely pretend to confirm or deny there is an offer...
He obviously means that there's no truth to the rumours,and that the rumours is plain false and very stupid.

THE DUCK

He obviously means that there's no truth to the rumours,and that the rumours is plain false and very stupid.

That's the way I take it, unless he's being intentionally vague. Of course not sure MS tells Tom Warren everything they do, so there could still be truth to an offer even if Tom isn't in the know. Or maybe he has MS brass on speed dial.

Akuji

If valve is selling for 16b then maybe i can even get a Bank to give me the money for it. Lol way undervalued.

baphomet

Well if I'm a Valve long time employee, and I have a bunch of stock, which may or may not be easy to change into cash, and ms comes in and makes this offer, it could mean millions in cash to a big group of employees. That might do it. But Gabe has to want to do it too, really probably only makes sense if he wants to retire.

Gabe had 10's, possibly 100's of millions before he even started Valve. Steam has made him a multi-billionaire.

THE DUCK

Gabe had 10's, possibly 100's of millions before he even started Valve. Steam has made him a multi-billionaire.

So? Lucas was swimming in money and had a net worth of 3.3 billion and still sold his baby for 4 billion......

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Lol, how fucking stupid would you have to believe that.

They essentially get 30% of all PC games sales. So all the GTA's, Call of Duty's, Assassins Creeds, and so on, Valve gets 30% of that. All while spending literally $0 to develop or market any of it.

Don’t insult OP

Gamezone

Gold Member
How many times have we heard this rumors? Last time this happened I e-mailed Gabe and asked him if Microsoft was planning to buy Steam, and he even responded; "Not that I'm aware of. Probably would notice".

With that said, Gabe isn't getting any young er, and do we expect Steam to never be sold?

Last edited:
Would kind of make sense, now that Microsoft shifts away their business from consoles, they don’t want to loose part of their profit in the PC sales when selling through Steam…

SHA

We ALL hope they'd never sell. Especially to MS.
Buying to close, isn't that obvious? , you only need an IQ of 3 to figure that that company are doubling down on something wouldn't even work, isn't that obvious, it's not a big family cause game pass will put the future of many studios at jeopardy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It boggles my mind how anyone with a functioning brain can make the argument that Microsoft buying Valve would be good for the gaming industry., especially with how badly they have fucked up every thing gaming related this past year.

Having said that I would love the OPTION to tie Steam achievements to Xbox achievements.

Top Bottom