• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Potential Pokémon GO footage.

JoeM86

Exciting stuff. I never dreamed of Pokemon software officially on iOS and Android. Even if the initial launch is rough, we still can get some awesome iterations out of this stuff.

Pokémon has been on smartphones in various manners (including games) since 2011.

Azuran

Banned
The disappointment when this game comes out will be glorious. So many high expectations and dreams for something we barely know anything about.

Nightbird

Guys what were you expecting from a free to play MMO AR smartphone app? A Mainline game like experience? There was no way something like that would happen.

Sure, it does not look good, but don't act like they promised the biggest and best game ever, and suddenly we got that.

As former Ingress player this is even more than I hoped for (I expected sprites)

Ivysaurs movement is janky, especially in the transition from map to 'street view'. Looks a bit better when's jumping after the first miss.
Maybe this is a downside of AR.

Other than that I'm not seeing anything "horrible" or "terrible". Sounds like hyperbole, unrealistic expectations and/or mobile bias.

JoeM86

Guys what were you expecting from a free to play MMO AR smartphone app? A Mainline game like experience? There was no way something like that would happen.

Sure, it does not look good, but don't act like they promised the biggest and best game ever, and suddenly we got that.

As former Ingress player this is even more than I hoped for (I expected sprites)

I have seen so much hype for Pokémon GO. It got so hyped by the trailer and conference that expectations were ridiculously high.

I've dealt with e-mails about it the last 6 months. People were excited and expecting major things from it. I saw one person actually pissed that Sun & Moon were revealed because they thought GO was the continuation of main series.

Damn the salt in here is crazy

This is the future of Pokemon.

Pokémon Sun & Moon is the future of Pokémon. This is a spin-off.

Galafar

Neo Member
Judging from the footage it seems like another wasted potential outing from Gamefreak/The Pokemon Company. This could have been something really special but it doesn't even look or feel like a Pokemon game. Really, Crystals? Man, I just can't get on board with mobile ever it seems. Maybe I'm judging too much from a 1 minute teaser made for the press but still.

I have seen so much hype for Pokémon GO. It got so hyped by the trailer and conference that expectations were ridiculously high.

I've dealt with e-mails about it the last 6 months. People were excited and expecting major things from it. I saw one person actually pissed that Sun & Moon were revealed because they thought GO was the continuation of main series.

I remember you shunning Pokemon Go a while back and everyone trampled you and called you a fanboy or something. It's a bit foggy but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.

Unfortunately, you were right.

Rodin

That's more or less what i expected to see, so i'm not disappointed because i wasn't crazy about this "game" from the beginning.

I mean, the concept of catching Pokémon in real life is amazing, but AR today doesn't exactly allow for a good or "proper" execution of that.

You're not serious.

KarmaCow

I wonder how (or if) the communal aspect plays in. Ingress is basically the same thing but it has the illusion of working with others when you press a button after going to a place. I can see how there might be rare spawns that people race for but not how you could work together.

Pretty much looks like I expected

Screen+Shot+2016-02-26+at+8.09.35+AM.png

TedHub

Banned
Damn, I'm so upset that there's absolutely no chance of this game ever being fun or interesting at all. That's a real shame! I was interested in it! Wait, I knew it was gonna suck! My head hurts!

They need to fix the camera jankiness and It'll look great.

What the heck were people expecting from this though? The only thing I'm wondering is if you can battle/weaken a wild pokemon with another one that you have in your party.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's a mobile spin off yet people act as if this is supposed to be the high budget console Pokémon mmorpg revelation lol.

Nightbird

Good lord, I never knew...

I mean, I see where the hype comes from. The Trailer was amazing, and due to no actual gameplay footage this was the only indicator of what we might get.
But I expected the hype to be strong enough that people would have actually checked what the developer did before. Because once you do that, it becomes painfully obvious that the final product may not be that hype.

JazzmanZ

You sound disappointed this is the results of Pokemon GO :p

L Thammy

Did you ever get an e-mail from someone who thought that Pokemon Go was the legendary Pokemon MMORPG??

"Kevin. How do you explain that credit card bill????"

"But mom. I saw a Mewtwo and had to buy the master ball for 29,99$. But I also saw a few other shiny pokemons. So I had to catch them too!"

humansewer

Neo Member
I wan't expecting the game to LOOK great, so I'm not disappointed in that regard... I just hope the microtransactions aren't as bad as we're speculating.... I was planning on giving this game a shot, and I don't wanna go for a drive or hike or something only to be strong armed into buying a masterball or getting nothing.

PSOreo

I honestly don't know what I was expecting but this doesn't look that great or compelling. Obviously this must still be an early version, so heres hoping it'll improve. The battle system will be interesting if they can get the AR to look smooth in the final version because right now the animations look like they are straight out of Birdemic

U0wWNit.gif

jeenaudx

Banned
Pretty much looks like I expected

Pokemon Go will make a lot more money though and it will easily be played by 10 times more people than sun and moon.

I bet the Master Ball costs like $30-50 worth of "PokeCrystals" or sommit, so I could see it happening like a week after the game launches.

"But you can also get 10 Pokecrystals each day by battling other people. And the Master ball is just 10.000, so you just need to battle 1000 times! Its fair!"

javadoze

Probably the big thing I'd want them to fix here is not having the Pokémon encounter in AR view, but instead switching to an in-game battlefield to make it look less janky.

Pokemaniac

It deeply annoys me that they use XP instead of EXP.

Other than that, this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. A throwaway AR game which I'll play a dozen or so times before never touching again.

wwm0nkey

I honestly don't know what I was expecting but this doesn't look that great or compelling. Obviously this must still be an early version so heres hoping it'll improve. The battle system will be interesting if they can get it look smooth in the final version because right now the animations look like they are straight out of Birdemic

U0wWNit.gif
Mobile AR tech is limited right now, should improve over time though

Pretty much what I expected.

It's gonna be popular but it's no replacement for the handheld Pokémon games.

This.

The reveal trailer made the concept pretty clear and anyone who didn't expect AR with real world backgrounds to be kind of janky was setting themselves up for disappointment. I will say though, I was expecting (and hoping there will be) a battle element to wild pokemon encounters. Do I just find a bulbasaur and throw a pokeball? Is that the game?

Pokemon Go will make a lot more money though and it will easily be played by 10 times more people than sun and moon.

I could see it continuing alongside the mainline series if it's successful. However, it's worth pointing out that Pokemon Go isn't part of the mainline series. It isn't developed by Game Freak, and in Japan the mainline entries are always titled "Pocket Monsters" while all of the side entries and spinoffs are titled "Pokemon."

JoeM86

I don't think it'll be played by 150,000,000 people.

This.

The reveal trailer made the concept pretty clear and anyone who didn't expect AR with real world backgrounds to be kind of janky was setting themselves up for disappointment. I will say though, I was expecting (and hoping there will be) a battle element to wild pokemon encounters. Do I just find a bulbasaur and throw a pokeball? Is that the game?

That was implied by the original reveal, yeah

Top Bottom