• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Potential Pokémon GO footage.

JoeM86

So, I just got sent this. I'm investigating but this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

It seems at SXSW in Austin Texas today, Niantic Labs CEO, John Hanke had a panel called "The Future of AR Is Already in Your Pocket" and it seems that it may have had some Pokémon GO stuff in.

I got e-mailed and tweeted this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHgCmnVvfTI

It does sound like John Hanke, but I'm still uncertain. Any help sorting authenticity would be appreciated.

Edit: Another angle found on Twitter from someone who was there https://twitter.com/TomWoodhead/status/711307513145102336

Yukinari

There are people out there who will use their Master Balls to catch Fearow and Tentacruel.

Thanks Professor Oak.

I mean...what was everyone expecting? This seems similar to what I expected, just a little rough around the edges since it isn't time for release yet.

Jawmuncher

Looks rough. Concept might save it, but a lot of people are gonna be a bit let down after how much that video hyped it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why the disappointment?Isn't that video roughly what we should expect from GO? AR Google map game with pokemon models?

bon

Pretty much what I expected.

It's gonna be popular but it's no replacement for the handheld Pokémon games.

Roldan

Anyone that already played anything in AR should know what to expect... >_>

But nah, being a Pokemon game in a platform that everyone owns means guaranteed success.

ASH used
POKé BALL!

It's not very
effective...

Would you like
to purchase a
GREAT POKé BALL
for just $0.99 USD?

ayarger

Neo Member
The jankiness of Ivysaur's movement throws any feeling of polish straight out the window. Gotta fix that. Perhaps they could lerp it at the very least.

Cindro

No idea what else people were expecting. Having played Ingress, this still seems like it will be awesome. Pretty neat too that you have to actually aim when throwing your Pokeball.

I just hope they don't blow it with the battle and faction systems.

BahamutPT

There are some "Crystals" at the bottom of the post-capture screen, so I'd assume those are the in-game currency (or at least one of them).

ReyBrujo

I guess only Ingress players knew how Pokémon Go could potentially look. I've been playing for over 3 years, and yes, this sides up with what I hoped. Actually, I thought it would automatically take picture with the camera and use it as background, but the gameplay itself would be extremely simple, as everything Pokémon.

213372bu

Banned
Exactly how I thought it was going to be as far as catching goes.

No way are they going to make people run around town and miss Pokemon.

They're going to make it easy to catch/with IAPS.

Looks like they have stats and crystals though, so I'm guessing you can "battle" friends, but it'll be really simple. Like a numbers game and not actual Pokemon battle.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Can't wait for this to become Nintendo's biggest source of revenue so all the haters can spend years wondering how it all went wrong.

Exactly how I thought it was going to be as far as catching goes.

No way are they going to make people run around town and miss Pokemon.

That's the whole point, going around to real places to find where Pokemon live.

Well...

I guess I'd like to see actual battles and basic functionality outside of whatever the hell that was before passing judgement. Already underwhelming though

Top Bottom