• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

rumour: Resident Evil 2 remake incoming?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
bmf said:
Hating videogames is part of posting on GAF. It's part of the whole love/hate relationship thing.
Yeah, if I liked videogames I would play them instead of posting here and growing a huge backlog that's going to swallow me one day.

Blueblur1

I see Rash's point. It even makes sense financially (with the little knowledge I have). An RE2 remake would be a large project but it would probably sell well based on the sales figures for the last two RE Wii titles. Even though it will be a remake, it'll probably be new to most Wii owners.

That project could in turn fuel development of the next major title (presumably RE6) which will take years to be produced and released. It isn't very realistic to expect a full blown HD remake at this point. Capcom doesn't need to do considering they have plenty of other HD games in development such as Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2.

If RE2Make happens, I want it to be a mega-remake that goes RE3 Day 1 -> RE2 -> RE3 Day 2, adds some of the RE3 refinements (mainly the quick turn) to RE2's bits, resolves all the continuity errors between the two, and ties the story together a little bit (like having UBCS people show up during RE2's story and maybe let Claire/Leon get a glimpse of the Nemesis, who would be totally disinterested in them). I've posted about this before and I'm going to keep posting about it until it happens because it'd be the best thing ever. Call it RE: Raccoon City Chronicles and I'd buy any console for it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Firestorm said:
Andrex and Rash have always reminded me of the old Gahiggidy minus the funny.

I'm convinced Gahiggidy was a joke account. Andrex and Rash I dont have such faith in

When it comes to RE2, I'll take almost anything (except a portable port), just please update it already. It deserves it. We deserve it.

Christopher

If we're going REmake style lets do it with the best graphics that we can, and then port downward PS3/360 then port. The Gamecube was a graphics beast, and the game really benefited from it.

Most likely though it's just going to be Capcom announcing RE2 for PSN US store, Virtual Console, DS, and PSP...if there is a console believe it will be ported.

Ganondorfo

I hate these threads because we already had a thread like this when resident evil remake was announced on the cube and everyone thought that they would remake every resident evil.

Well they didn't, and I doubt capcom will spend their time into remaking older resident evil games, they like to port games NOT REMAKE THEM.

cvxfreak

Would Capcom really be crazy enough to release RE2 yet again unaltered? The best bet for that would be the DS, as the game's already on PSP in Japan.

RE2 on DS with the same improvements as Deadly Silence... yum.

I think 360 owners deserve a compilation pack though. RE1 (Director's Cut + DC Dual Shock), RE2, RE3, CV, perhaps the Gun Survivors in a single disc package. Would be quite a good value.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Ganondorfo said:
I hate these threads because we already had a thread like this when resident evil remake was announced on the cube and everyone thought that they would remake every resident evil.
Well they didn't, and I doubt capcom will spend their time into remaking older resident evil games, they like to port games NOT REMAKE THEM.

Bah. Except that Gamecube's sales didn't exactly pan out as Capcom and Nintendo had hoped.

I actually see the chance of having 2&maybe3 remakes for Wii. (so 0>1>2>3>4>5 Wii HD edition).

I say Capcom should go for HD consoles if it's a remake retaining the same gameplay mechanics of the original and a new sidestory, maybe a 3d and 4rth scenario, for the Wii with 4Wii Edition gameplay.

*IF* they're indeed going with Re4's style of gameplay then just do it for Wii, we already have RE5 for our fix of HD RE with dual-analog controls.
Also the ensuing meltdowns would make for one fucking hilarious thread. :D

There seems to be a lot of talk about the Wii here...

Is it just assumed that if the remake goes ahead, it will be for the Wii?

Personally I'd like to see it on the other consoles so it can bask in the maximum possible graphical splendour, but that's just me!

Foil

If they do remake Resident Evil 2 I just hope they keep the ridiculous RE4 Wii Edition "dummy cursor" out of the game. Just stick with the Laser Sight that the original versions of RE4 had. You'd figure by going to more accurate aiming controls the laser sight would have been perfect, not some large blind mans cursor coming on screen. Oh, and hopefully they do it for all three consoles so some of you guys can stop whining over which platform of choice you want it on.

cvxfreak said:
I think 360 owners deserve a compilation pack though. RE1 (Director's Cut + DC Dual Shock), RE2, RE3, CV, perhaps the Gun Survivors in a single disc package. Would be quite a good value.

That'd be nice to see. Basically having 1080p HD versions of Remake, Zero, RE4, and the potential RE2 remake all in one package for 360/PS3 while tossing RE3 & RECV on XBLA. Something like the Resident Evil version of The Orange Box. I guess they'd call it The Item Box or something less stupid.

Christopher

Why would Capcom make it for the Wii? Hell they broke their exclusivity deal with Nintendo becasue the damn thing wouldn't sell.

Christopher said:
Why would Capcom make it for the Wii? Hell they broke their exclusivity deal with Nintendo becasue the damn thing wouldn't sell.
Yeah, but they found success on the Wii so obviously this isn't the case now.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Christopher said:
I didn't realize the Wii and the GC were the same console.

Cue obvious jokes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably a release on PSN/XBL.

But I want Resident Evil 6 to take place in the city again, like RE2. That game had such an awesome atmosphere in the early part of the game. I want that again, in now-gen glory!

cvxfreak

Christopher said:

Nice one. :p

You were joking, right?

Foil said:
If they do remake Resident Evil 2 I just hope they keep the ridiculous RE4 Wii Edition "dummy cursor" out of the game. Just stick with the Laser Sight that the original versions of RE4 had.

I just hope they keep anything to do with RE4 away. I don't want QTE Mr. X encounters or Leon doing pile drivers and final atomic busters on Lickers.

HK-47 said:
This is stupid.

Not to mention why HD over Wii? Pretty much the same userbase. Wii is a proven ground for RE, and it would be far cheaper to develop.

Sounds perfect to me.

Except I want to play it. And Capcom doesn't really seem to have any interest in putting out the REmake or 0 ports out in the US.

Mithos

Danielsan said:
Now imagine a pre-rendered RE2 on the 360, PS3 and PC.
I think our minds would truly be blown.

Not really, it will look the same, in higher resolution though, which slightly more crisp picture.

Just like DVD vs BluRay on FF7 movies.

SonComet

Mithos said:
Not really, it will look the same, in higher resolution though, which slightly more crisp picture.

Just like DVD vs BluRay on FF7 movies.
May I suggest a bigger and better TV/projector if the only difference you see is it being slightly more crisp.

Mithos

SonComet said:
May I suggest a bigger and better TV/projector if the only difference you see is it being slightly more crisp.

When i play my FF7 DVD on my CRT and my friend is playing his BluRay version on his HDTV all i see is the same as my DVD version, just more crisp/clear.

The BluRay version don't add stuff not there in the DVD version, it doesn't add 2 million polygons anywhere, all you gain is a more sharp/clear/crisp image, it's PRE-RENDERED remember?

So making a pre-rendered version on Wii or Xb360/Ps3 won't show much difference, sure the HDTV version will be able to show a more sharp/clear/crisp image compared to the same in Wii, but thats it.

xfactor

Banned
Capcom teased us so much its not funny.

re1.jpg

re2.jpg

re3-1.jpg

re4-1.jpg

re5.jpg

re6.jpg

re7.jpg

re8.jpg

re9.jpg

re10.jpg

cvxfreak

RE2 has the luxury of taking place in areas that have spread across into other RE games. :lol

RE3 featured the western half of the RPD.

Outbreak File 2 and Umbrella Chronicles featured the eastern half (lol).

Outbreak File 1 featured most of the lab. RE0 featured the top portion of it.

Ysiadmihi said:
Since when do consoles provide that?

Poh. True enough :lol

I was trying to put forth something quasi-realistic though. Alright then... a HD console version and a legit PC version (for the true graphical connoisseur)

On a more serious note... where are those shots from?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Eteric Rice said:
The conference where RE2: Wiimake was announced.

Again with this shit?
It's not funny, just lame.
Face it.

Maybe it would be, if only mods started banning some asses...

don't wanna single you out, I usually find your posts enjoyable, just wanted to try and stop the excitbots' thread -redux

Those look like they could be running on the RE4 engine.

The shot from behind Ada looks like it's real time. The ones at the top are obviously CG, but the others don't look beyond what RE4 was doing on Gamecube. With a little extra power for a dedicated Wii game I'll believe this is legit.

Top Bottom