• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Retro not working on DK or Metroid, 2017 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyfi

Banned
I really don't want Retro to make Metroid anymore. Not in the style of Prime, at least. It's time for something new.

I'm going to assume RETRO haven't been working on a game for the past 3 years, and that development is actually fairly early. 2018/2019 release potential. Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see anything at E3.

Hip Hop

I really don't want Retro to make Metroid anymore. Not in the style of Prime, at least. It's time for something new.

My dream of a new Metroid game would be for it to have a full fledged multiplayer. A serious one akin to Halo or Killzone. It'd be great for them to have it as an eSports title.

And the Metroid franchise is definitely suited for it.

Rodin

A new IP sounds great, but I really want a new Metroid game though. Anything this year would be grand after Zelda there is nothing else this year except Mario. I am diving in with the Switch and relly want some games to play...

retrowaveqfbou.png

/race

I was thinking how can Nintendo make Metroid more popular so it sells more?

I think it will have to come from a multiplayer standpoint aka online. Single player needs to stay the same. Metroid is Metroid and that formula should never change. There's nothing much for online though. They should come up with ways to make it popular through an online multiplayer aspect.

I don't know, Nintendo has tried merging multiplayer with Metroid in the past and it hasn't ever really gone so well. See: Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime Federation Force, and the multiplayer mode in Metroid Prime 2 (there's a reason Retro dropped it in Prime 3).

Metroid's strength is in its singleplayer and sense of isolation. I'd rather it stay focused on that, even if it doesn't resonate with the Halo crowd or whatever.

Servbot24

Banned
Good. Retro needs to keep moving on.

If it actually releases in 2017 then I think Switch has potential for a great first year.

I really think Retro is working on a big game. Idk after seeing BotW and Super Mario Odyssey I feel like Nintendo is giving their fans what they want. They heard people want the formula to change for Zelda and have that open world from the first game. They heard people want sandbox Mario. And this comes after a relatively more safe Skyward Sword and 3D World.

Now, I look at Retro and they've made one of the best 2D Platformers in DKCTF. I think Nintendo is listening to people and they hear people want Retro to work on a much bigger project. I feel like we're going to see their game at E3 and be blown away. It's going to be near the status of a Mario or Zelda title in terms of budget and scope.

They've always been the biggest mystery and I was hoping to see it at the presentation. Yeah, we know Zelda was coming and 3D Mario. We know Monolith was going to be making a new Xeno game, but you just don't know what Retro is doing. Lol

I told you their game wouldn't be at the Switch presentation.
They take their time revealing the fruits of their labor.
It looks like a bad decision by Nintendo atm. People wanted to see more games from the presentation. Of course in the long run it won't mean anything because we'll see it at E3, but it would've been nice to get a tease.

Maybe the twist is it's Tantalus and it's not a new Metroid but a Metroid Prime 1-3 HD pack...

Dammit now I want this badly
Me too want it. Give me 🤗

It looks like a bad decision by Nintendo atm. People wanted to see more games from the presentation. Of course in the long run it won't mean anything because we'll see it at E3, but it would've been nice to get a tease.
They like to space things out.
The thing was bound to sell out at the getgo and all the allocation gone so I don't think it hurts them at all.
All my life I have wanted an All Retro Game Direct though.

Tropical Freeze was fantastic, and if Retro really was working on a new DKC, I would be happy...but I know a lot of people wouldn't be. I think now is a good time for Retro to go all out and make something on a big and grandiose scale again, whether that be Metroid Prime 4, a new IP or an ambitious revival of an old IP (Kinda like Kid Icarus Uprising).

BowieZ

Banned
Life Pro-Tip: when dealing with a necro bump, CTRL+F "Today" and you'll usually come upon the offending new post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom