• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handful of insiders say 720p, Albert says it looks great but has no numbers, CBOAT says 720p (+ Titanfall at 720p), Ben K of PAR says that the internet will blow up soon due to a resolution issue in a big game.

Internet is gonna blow up but no one will care. No one will care at everyone caring about it.

At least we won't ever see this screen again on Xbox One...

vlcsnap-113621.png

Right now it's the only good thing going for it.

Gaz_RB

I think a generation of 720p/1080p multi platform splits would be absolutely catastrophic for ms. And yes I think people will tell and care.

Don't know if that's the takeaway here though.

I think with high quality HDTVs getting so cheap it's definitely going to matter more this gen.

Doesn't PS4 have dedicated servers for COD too? But I guess you mean for all games.

Audioboxer

Pretty crazy that official PR still hasn't been released, even shoddy "COD will look great on Xbox One and we have exclusive maps deal" PR.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is disappointing if true. I have been exclusively Xbox 360 this gen so all of my friends are on Xbox. Everyone I game with is getting the Xbox One so I already preordered my day 1 edition. But there is more to a game then graphics and what resolution it is running at. A big part of the reason I game now is the social aspect of it and MS has always been better at the online stuff so for me I will sacrafice a little in the graphics department for a better overall experience.

Why not make do without graphics at all and use your phone?

mephixto

Banned
I think a generation of 720p/1080p multi platform splits would be absolutely catastrophic for ms. And yes I think people will tell and care.

Most people will not noticed unless the side with the 1080p version start marketing it, wich is probably what Sony gonna do.

thuway

Pretty crazy that official PR still hasn't been released, even shoddy "COD will look great on Xbox One and we have exclusive maps deal" PR.
No one is going to speak about resolution and hurt any sort of preorders. Currently, the bigger issue is Call of Duty is being flanked from Battlefield, the core fans are on Microsoft platforms, and sales expectations are in the stratosphere.

Raymo

The catastrophe is that 720p is $100 more.

merrick97

Banned
Most people will not noticed unless the side with the 1080p version start marketing it, wich is probably what Sony gonna do.

To be honest with you. I HOPE that they do do this.

With the amount of spin and damage control that MS has put out. It would be another wise move on Sony's part to just have people "see for themselves"

No spin. Just let the facts speak for themselves.

vlcsnap-113621.png

Don't be so sure. Not all games will necessarily have dedicated servers. They will be available for devs through MS, probably at very fair prices, but that still doesn't guarantee that every developer will take advantage of them, especially when it comes to games developed by smaller teams.

IN&OUT

Banned

Also don't forget that devs will start to push compute on PS4 which will make the difference even bigger.

Gaz_RB

I guarantee you will be saying that for sports & fighting games. NBA 2K14, NBA Live 14, Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, KI, & etc. will definitely be using P2P servers.

Are you sure? I thought the point of Microsoft's Compute was to have dedicated servers for everything.

Z_Y

There was one that I know of, actually.

NBA Street Homecourt on Xbox 360 was 1080p, 60fps AND 4XMSAA. And the game actually looked quite amazing, too.

I think the frame rate took a hit if you ran it in 1080p. I think there was an option to select the rez? I have it at home...will check when I get home.

Game did look great though.

edit: GAF delivers again...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141628

30fps @ 1080p, 60fps @ 720p

They'll buy the market leader if they play online and all their buddies have it, sure. If they're single player gamers I'd imagine they'd get the one with the games they want. Not having a head start for either system will indeed make this very interesting.
When I say network effects I don't actually (just) mean online networks. I'm rather referring to any effect whereby more people owning a system increases the value of said system.

For example if a consumer is considering systems, the system said consumer's friends own is inherently more valuable due to the ability to freely exchange software with those friends.

It's probably less relevant now with the advent of the internet, but getting help with your system will be easier if a lot of people you know also own it.

A bigger installed base can make a system inherently more valuable to end-users due to attracting more developers to the platform as well.

DirtyLarry

Handful of insiders say 720p, Albert says it looks great but has no numbers, CBOAT says 720p (+ Titanfall at 720p), Ben K of PAR says that the internet will blow up soon due to a resolution issue in a big game.
Thank you.

Here is my summary.

If it is true then fuck you Microsoft. I am not paying $499 for 720p.
If it is not true then fuck you Microsoft for sitting on your ass for the last 15 hours and not debunking it.
Fair enough.

This rumor, if confirmed true, would just further solidify each companies approach that much more.

Microsoft is not just about gaming, they are about creating a device that takes over your living room completely and a device that also ties in to their PC OS.

Sony is clearly much more gaming oriented.

I think one could easily make the argument Microsoft has to many eggs in to many baskets. The recent launch of 8.1 shows they are willing to release things without fully knowing the outcome of said release. So not sure how or why anyone would be surprised if the One does release and is not ready for prime-time. Their history, especially as of late, shows this is their normal modus operandi. The thing is, they have a very loyal fan base that always forgives them time after time. It appears things will never change, and in fact, may just continue getting worse.

Same here

right, sadly I don't have a PS4 pre ordered but there's no difference between the launch and standard versions so I can wait a few weeks. I'm fully in support of Microsoft but this was under the notion that they would be supporting a full next generation experience at 1080p. Not a sub 720p experience upscaled to 1080p. That just seems horribly laughable, and I can always play Titanfall on my PC and Halo no longer has its grip on me do to bungie moving over to Destiny. Everybody knows I'm a bit of a fan boy but even this is ridicules in my opinion.

I don't think it's so crazy. Seattle is just waking up and when this thread broke people were going about their lives and families, which I would assume is more important than a video game rumor (and should be more important than anything, really).

Now frustrating, I can agree. I would absolutely love to have an answer to this. Not to say that this particular rumor is enough to make me cancel my X1 preorder, but its conjunction with the rest of them sure paints a pretty bleak picture that cannot be ignored.

Oh my

I can't believe ms have such fools as leaders.
This can't be true, after 7 years they release a overpriced and underpowered consolle unable to play games at the fucking standard resolution. Who is responsible for such mess? Was he insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom