• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) screens

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope they balance mining in this game. In Rune Factory DS I made more money from a single day of breaking rocks than I did from an entire month's worth of crops.

haowan

Hero of legend said:
Am I crazy to believe that the ground textures in Rune Factory Frontier are better than in Eternal Sonata (360)?

Put the camera as close to the ground in RF as it is in ES and say that again. Although you probably can't lower the camera in RF innit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Halycon said:
I hope they balance mining in this game. In Rune Factory DS I made more money from a single day of breaking rocks than I did from an entire month's worth of crops.

They largely fixed this in two.

Mining is still pretty profitable, as it should be, just not "Lol, go into the mine for a few days in spring and become a millionaire" profitable.

Vagabundo

DeaconKnowledge said:
True, but 3 Japanese games with effort in the past 2 days is a good start.

I knew the Japanese would lead the charge for Wii development.

I'd given up hope after the whole Ubi thing. It has left me bitter on 3rd parties.

bitter...

DeaconKnowledge said:
True, but 3 Japanese games with effort in the past 2 days is a good start.

Three?

1. Rune Factory Frontier
2. Tenchu 4
3. ???

Nocebo

Dude! I think this is a game me and my gf can really enjoy together. I'll let her do the farming bits (tried a snes harvest moon or whatever didn't like it much) while I slay the monsters. \o/

tabsina

Hero of legend said:
Three?

1. Rune Factory Frontier
2. Tenchu 4
3. ???

what could that third game be

Fantastical said:
fatalframe.gif

edit: wow.. beaten by like 5 mins.. teaches me not to leave a thread open for too long before reading/responding

jarrod

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
It's to their benefit really, they were lagging behind since PS2. The DS/Wii combo is going to pull a Famicom and make Japan the center for (non-computer) game development again.

stuminus3

FUCK this shit, I bought my Wii for sub-par PSP ports with N64 graphics.

OMG this looks awesome. The DS version was great, and this looks lovely. Hope the Wii controls are good, lots of potential there.

nightside

stuminus3 said:
FUCK this shit, I bought my Wii for sub-par PSP ports with N64 graphics.

OMG this looks awesome. The DS version was great, and this looks lovely. Hope the Wii controls are good, lots of potential there.

:lol

looks good..and it's always nice to see interesting projects on wii (well..not interesting to me...for some reasone i really can't play at all any game that slighly resemble a jrpg.. never beaten both baten kaitos and ToS...)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DeaconKnowledge said:
I've said it from the get go..... you can't have the CONTINUING best selling console of the generation fall behind in third party support. Shareholders are going to get pissed. I don't care what kind of tie ratios the 360 sees, I don't care if PS360 combined is greater than the Wii, eventually shareholders will step in and say "Why are you not making any serious effort to bring in money on the largest userbase in the industry."

I agree with you though... given that the japanese ratio is more insane than even the already insane Europe and NA ratios for systems sold, it figures it would come from japan. But I expect western devs to follow pretty soon. I swear to god, 3 weeks after release and I can't turn on a single channel without seeing that WiiFit commercial.

Durante

The latest few Wii game threads are passing strange (FF4 and this). Both games look like above average PS2 titles (FF4 looks slightly better than FF2, this looks a lot like Radiata Stories), but from the comments you might think the developers are showering us with manna from heaven.

Durante said:
The latest few Wii game threads are passing strange (FF4 and this). Both games look like above average PS2 titles (FF4 looks slightly better than FF2, this looks a lot like Radiata Stories), but from the comments you might think the developers are showering us with manna from heaven.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Vagabundo

borghe said:
I've said it from the get go..... you can't have the CONTINUING best selling console of the generation fall behind in third party support. Shareholders are going to get pissed. I don't care what kind of tie ratios the 360 sees, I don't care if PS360 combined is greater than the Wii, eventually shareholders will step in and say "Why are you not making any serious effort to bring in money on the largest userbase in the industry."

I agree with you though... given that the japanese ratio is more insane than even the already insane Europe and NA ratios for systems sold, it figures it would come from japan. But I expect western devs to follow pretty soon. I swear to god, 3 weeks after release and I can't turn on a single channel without seeing that WiiFit commercial.

I'm buying shares in Ubisoft then. At least they will have to listen to my complaints.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i've been on the fence about the series, looks like this one will finally bring me in.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm definitely keeping an eye on this too, hopefully Natsume isn't going to bring it over now that Rune Factory doesn't share the HM name... or the wait probably won't be worth it.

jarrod

Banned
Durante said:
Eh, they both look an appreciable step up from what the same developers were doing on PS2. The fact that you're even comparing a (comparably low budget) Neverland game to a (comparably big budget) tri-Ace game is pretty telling in itself.

Durante said:

After a week of Babiez, Neopetz and Dogz, anything that looks decent from 3rd parties on Wii is a cause for celebration.

Vinci

Danish
Is it possible this change of quality has more to do with this being the 2nd mini-generation within the Wii's lifespan? Everyone at first wasn't giving a shit, so it mostly got crap, but when it became obvious it wasn't going to up and die, they were like, "Hey, we could either keep putting absolute shit on the system (Ubisoft's way) or release something built for it from the ground-up (this way)!"

Just glad to see some Japanese developers are choosing the latter.

Deku

Banned
jarrod said:
It's to their benefit really, they were lagging behind since PS2. The DS/Wii combo is going to pull a Famicom and make Japan the center for (non-computer) game development again.

That's the right phrasing I've been looking for.

TunaLover

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'd also put Sky Crawlers in that list, but maybe it's too early

Man I swear myself don´t get hyped for this game until an american launch annucement =/, I´d must prepared for a dissapointment...

Nishastra

Banned
jarrod said:
Eh, they both look an appreciable step up from what the same developers were doing on PS2. The fact that you're even comparing a (comparably low budget) Neverland game to a (comparably big budget) tri-Ace game is pretty telling in itself.
It looks better than Radiata anyway. A lot more detail in everything. Not to mention that Radiata used a fixed camera angle for all its areas, allowing it to "cheat" on detail :p

ronito

Halycon said:
this was easily the biggest issue with the game. A few days of half planned mining and you've have more money than you could do anything with. Really ruined the game. That with combined with continued goals in building (IE: got the big house early on....then what???) need to be fixed.

borghe said:

The problem for NA has always been that the XBOX 360 is a huge software push. Devs have no huge incentive to put any effort into Wii outside of the revenue stream. They're naturally going to be slow on the uptake.

Japan, however, NEEDS the Wii. So you can bet your ass they're paying attention to it.

Vinci

Danish
The sad thing about this is: I used to click on threads showing 'Wii Screens for [insert 3rd party game here]' with a lot of hesitation. Like I didn't want to see them but I did at the same time. I got used to expecting disappointment. With FF, Tenchu (not too bad), and HM now, it's starting to feel a lot easier to click on these threads ... which is dangerous considering what the next batch of screens could look like.

What a fucked up platform the Wii has turned into. Just hope we keep getting more of this sort of support and less of the Babiez nonsense.

RpgN

Looks absolutely stunning (artstyle). This is what I'm talking about. If this trend continues, I'll be a wii owner sooner than I thought.

Dascu

Vinci said:
The sad thing about this is: I used to click on threads showing 'Wii Screens for [insert 3rd party game here]' with a lot of hesitation. Like I didn't want to see them but I did at the same time. I got used to expecting disappointment. With FF, Tenchu (not too bad), and HM now, it's starting to feel a lot easier to click on these threads ... which is dangerous considering what the next batch of screens could look like.

What a fucked up platform the Wii has turned into. Just hope we keep getting more of this sort of support and less of the Babiez nonsense.
Thank god for Japan.

Zhengi

So beautiful. I loved RF on the DS. I can't wait for the sequel and this Wii version. Definitely one of my most anticipated games.

Vinci

Danish
Dascu said:
Thank god for Japan.

No kidding. And here I keep hearing that the West is going to seize control of the market from them. Not likely at this rate, given the state of the current gen.

Top Bottom