• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

Dec

It's all it seems to be at the moment. Jagex are basically trying to stop hemorrhaging subscribers with whatever they can with as little cost to themselves as possible. Since that American company got a controlling share, the game has been slowly but surely moving towards a maximum profit minimum expenditure type deal. They sit on this until people speak up and get the community moving and/or they start seeing a huge decline in repeat subscribers.

I've not read anything to do with the game in a while though so I might be way off base, but this is what it was like before I started to stop playing a few years ago and when I quit a few months back.

Hard to care for a game when the companies behind it care little about the customers.

That is for sure a part of it, but I think the main thing that caused the drops was EoC. There is a lot of disdain for people that complain about EoC but really the fact is that it changed the game significantly. I checked when EoC was in beta and there were 1.6m subscribers. I'm not sure where were at now but it's around 500-600k.

Probably a mixture of EoC and the large amount of updates for microtransactions.

Logged back in for the first time in a long time, and I no longer know how to navigate the UI.

Also, when did World 1 become a members world?

Dec

Logged back in for the first time in a long time, and I no longer know how to navigate the UI.

Also, when did World 1 become a members world?

Idk. I though W1 was the free trading world and W2 was the members trading worlds. I don't think anyone uses either though.

For the UI everything is hidden in sub menus now. Click the icons on the task bar thing and you'll get windows. It's still a pain to learn, the UI is better in some places, worse in many others.

Thinking about the old UI makes me miss the old game. I actually preferred the combat and the UI can go either way, but I don't like the blue theme with all UIs in the game now.

t-ramp

I don't know why they're offering a month of membership for $0.01 through PayPal, but I guess I'll take them up on the offer. Might do some more fishing or questing or something else, who knows.

Dec

I don't know how the last event ended but I'm assuming there will be some sort of cutscene where Bandos dies in 7 minutes?

Edit: Kind of wish html5 wasn't broken so I could see it with draw distance increased.

...Or I guess it doesn't end on the 20th. Changed to 22nd?

Dec

Ya, they moved the date back to coincide with an update.

Welp, once was Bandos' head.

itZ2OQh9WDddm.png

Nebula

Definitely decided I'm going to buy membership when I get my new PC. Going to spend the month walking around on max settings I think and I'll see if anything interests me further while I explore the world again.

Chances are that I'll jump right back into slayer.

Dec

There is a poll currently in game for bringing back the old combat, and being able to switch between old and new at any time on any server.

Eknots

There is a poll currently in game for bringing back the old combat, and being able to switch between old and new at any time on any server.

just got my membership back after almost a year because of that, time to finally hit 99 slay and 120 dg. can't believe I'm back after having started this game in 2002, maybe one day I'll fully quit

Nebula

New combat isn't a bother to me anymore as I rarely PKed. I'd love to be able to AFK effectively again though.

Nebula

Guess I'm back, playing OSRS.

AH72Ccz.png

Enjoying myself by slaying, but there are so many bots on this. It almost makes playing it feel like a waste. I missed the DEXP despite being a member at the time. Didn't see or here a thing about it :(

liftedly

OSR bots are being worked on, check out this dev blog. It's been running for a couple of weeks now. The special worlds are oldschool85.runescape.com and oldschool86.runescape.com. It'll take some time before it gets to the point RS3 is at now, but I'm sure it'll get better :p

In other news: following the Twitch Plays Pokemon hype, some RS players created Twitch Plays 07. It takes commands from the chat and puts them into a special client. Some commands have been disabled to prevent major abuse. The channel mods have locked the chat down at some of the more difficult parts to finish things, which is kind of disappointing. It's still interesting to watch though, it has 100 to 200 viewers most of the time.

t-ramp

That's pretty cool, I might have to check it out.

I've just been doing some random stuff since I forgot to cancel my penny subscription. I think I might start an Old School character and see where that goes. It's kind of daunting, though. I'll play for a couple of hours and see where I am then. It's going to be pathetic, I'm sure.

Nebula

Nice to see that they can work around the tech limitations and try to bring something in to lower the number of bots.

That's pretty cool, I might have to check it out.

I've just been doing some random stuff since I forgot to cancel my penny subscription. I think I might start an Old School character and see where that goes. It's kind of daunting, though. I'll play for a couple of hours and see where I am then. It's going to be pathetic, I'm sure.

If you are in the 80s-90s in skills on RS3, leveling up at the start of OSRS feels so damn fast. Feels pretty awesome too :)

I'd be happy to set you up with some low level gear if you want?

t-ramp

Yeah, it's been fun so far. I got 30 Woodcutting and Firemaking and did a bit of combat yesterday, and now I am going to level up Agility a bit, I think.

If you want to add me, my name's Wcer Tyler.

Edit: Changed name to Fortune Lore.

Nebula

Yeah, it's been fun so far. I got 30 Woodcutting and Firemaking and did a bit of combat yesterday, and now I am going to level up Agility a bit, I think.

If you want to add me, my name's Wcer Tyler.

I think 60 Woodcutting was the first thing I did. Used the logs for Firemaking and Fletching.

Added!

Dec

Is investing in a Fish Mask and Crown of Seasons a good idea?

I really doubt it. They might increase exponentially in 5 years time, but I'm not sure if that is worth the time spent as they probably still wont be worth much.

Mostly comes down to discontinued items not really being in demand unless people actually want them. There are a lot of fish masks in game, they are pretty ugly, and barely any leaving the game because it's so hard to lose items now.

From what I've seen over the past couple years that discontinued items have been being added again is that they are worth the most immediately after they are removed from the game, then steadily decline.

Dec

Oh shit the new quest is out.

Been so long. Gonna do it now.

Finished. The quest was pretty good but the new dragons are pretty lame. I don't know if it's cause the main draw is charm drops and I don't need them, or they actually are just a waste of time. Killed them for an hour and didn't see a single piece of the gear and their special attack is just an annoyance.

Edit: Made 1m in the hour I was there. :\

Fury amulet also crashed like 1m because you get a free amulet from the quest that is pretty much as good. 4% crit for every thing and 10 prayer vs. 4.2% and 2 prayer on fury.

Nebula

Finished. The quest was pretty good but the new dragons are pretty lame. I don't know if it's cause the main draw is charm drops and I don't need them, or they actually are just a waste of time. Killed them for an hour and didn't see a single piece of the gear and their special attack is just an annoyance.

Frosts are better guaranteed money per hour so yeah the celestial dragons are pretty sucky. I recently hit up RS3 for few hours, straight into slayer. I was amazed that I retained the information on how to play it decently. Smashed a Waterfiends, Iron and Steel dragon task and I'm currently on Blue dragons. All in or near Kuradel which is sweet. Not banked since I had to swap to mage gear for Irons. I guess I'll post a pic here soon of how my stats look at the moment. I'm considering picking this up again for a couple of hours a day.

Was originally going to camp Dwogres for Dragon Pickaxes and sell them to buy bonds but I got bored.

Dec

Frosts are better guaranteed money per hour so yeah the celestial dragons are pretty sucky. I recently hit up RS3 for few hours, straight into slayer. I was amazed that I retained the information on how to play it decently. Smashed a Waterfiends, Iron and Steel dragon task and I'm currently on Blue dragons. All in or near Kuradel which is sweet. Not banked since I had to swap to mage gear for Irons. I guess I'll post a pic here soon of how my stats look at the moment. I'm considering picking this up again for a couple of hours a day.

Was originally going to camp Dwogres for Dragon Pickaxes and sell them to buy bonds but I got bored.

Even getting lucky with drops still leaves them worse than Frosts. I make 3.6-4.2m per hour at frosts and even if you get a visage or a piece of gear every few hours at Celestial Dragons profit seems to be 1-2m per hour average.

Considering the sheer amount of quests required to unlock them, and the amount of people there, plus the fact that the prices of the new armor will surely fall over time, they are pretty worthless.

Potentially good charms and range xp.

Edit: I just logged on and got a lucky hood of subjugation. Adds to my lucky armadyl pants from a few weeks ago, after this new treasure hunter thing came out. Already have the seasinger hood so pretty useless, but it seems an improvement over the squeal for sure.

Here's my current stats, I have a metric fuck load of bonus xp in crafting and agility I have yet to use because I'm actually barely playing. Enough to maintain membership and that's it:
imSSDU53KCoo8.png

Nebula

So the servers just died for some reason and they're finally back up... And there's been a rollback for those who were on the ones that went down, some are reporting that it's a rollback to when you last logged in. I did have 1000 Warrior Guild Tokens. I guess they did it to prevent the deaths that occurred when the servers dropped. Kind of annoyed still. Oh and my friend will have to redo Death Plateau and Troll Stronghold.

SqjOLzn.png
9xd3tGN.png

Heysoos

So, whips are pretty useless now? What replaced it? I was thinking of picking this up casually again, since you can apparently buy Membership with coins. But man, I've been gone so long. I have 56m (I gave away 50m when I quit), Bandos Chest and Legs, Fury, Dragonfire Shield, Whip, Fire Cape. I was training mostly Slayer before I quit. Is that even a viable money making skill anymore?

Dec

So, whips are pretty useless now? What replaced it? I was thinking of picking this up casually again, since you can apparently buy Membership with coins. But man, I've been gone so long. I have 56m (I gave away 50m when I quit), Bandos Chest and Legs, Fury, Dragonfire Shield, Whip, Fire Cape. I was training mostly Slayer before I quit. Is that even a viable money making skill anymore?

Slayer is just ok money now.

I would say godswords replaced whips, they all do the same damage but each has it's own special effect which explains the price differences.

Dual wielding is generally considered better I believe, but I'm not sure how far down that goes.

I would probably go for a godsword if you can't get chaotic claws. The absolute best are Drygore weapons, which are currently 130-160 ish mil for a set.

Whips<Godsword<Chaotic Maul<Dual Wield Chaotics<Drygores.

Dragon fire shield is quite poor now, sell unless you do not have 85 Herblore.

Bandos is good, but I would star working on player owned ports to get Tetsu (you need 90 in one of a few skills).

Fire cape is still great for melee training, but can be upgraded now into a TokHaar-Kal.

Edit: If you wanted ways to make money to replace slayer, queen black dragon is a solo boss that gives consistent gold. Maybe the best thing you could do is get 85 dungeoneering, this would get you chaotic claw/longswords/rapiers and access to Frost Dragons which are around 2.75-4m per hour depending on if you have 95 summoning or not.

Slayer remains a great way to train combat though, and make a little bit of money while doing it. So if that is your intent, just continue that.

The reason I rank claws over rapiers or longswords is because claws cost 200k tokens while the other two cost 300k. Claws also come fully charged, the others are 25% or something when you get them.

Heysoos

Slayer is just ok money now.

I would say godswords replaced whips, they all do the same damage but each has it's own special effect which explains the price differences.

Dual wielding is generally considered better I believe, but I'm not sure how far down that goes.

I would probably go for a godsword if you can't get chaotic claws. The absolute best are Drygore weapons, which are currently 130-160 ish mil for a set.

Whips<Godsword<Chaotic Maul<Dual Wield Chaotics<Drygores.

Dragon fire shield is quite poor now, sell unless you do not have 85 Herblore.

Bandos is good, but I would star working on player owned ports to get Tetsu (you need 90 in one of a few skills).

Fire cape is still great for melee training, but can be upgraded now into a TokHaar-Kal.

Edit: If you wanted ways to make money to replace slayer, queen black dragon is a solo boss that gives consistent gold. Maybe the best thing you could do is get 85 dungeoneering, this would get you chaotic claw/longswords/rapiers and access to Frost Dragons which are around 2.75-4m per hour depending on if you have 95 summoning or not.

Slayer remains a great way to train combat though, and make a little bit of money while doing it. So if that is your intent, just continue that.

The reason I rank claws over rapiers or longswords is because claws cost 200k tokens while the other two cost 300k. Claws also come fully charged, the others are 25% or something when you get them.

Damn. It seems like all of this costs a shit load of money. I guess leveling Dungeoneering is pretty much a must? I must say, that doesn't sound fun. I tried it when it first came out and I really didn't know what was going on. Got it to level 10 and never tried it again. Maybe it'd be better if I stayed away haha.

Dec

Damn. It seems like all of this costs a shit load of money. I guess leveling Dungeoneering is pretty much a must? I must say, that doesn't sound fun. I tried it when it first came out and I really didn't know what was going on. Got it to level 10 and never tried it again. Maybe it'd be better if I stayed away haha.

I don't enjoy dungeoneering either, but the rewards are worth it I think. It's not really a must though, you could just get a godsword and skip chaotics until you can afford Drygores, which will eventually fall in price as every thing does.

There will always be the insanely high end equipment in Runescape, and you don't have to have the best of the best to do much of anything. Just get the tier you can afford and gradually try to work up to the next best.

Nebula

I love my chaotic claws. The main hand one is nearly out of charges though.

I was at blue dragons not picking up the hides and some guy asked me why I wasn't picking them up. I told him banking them was effort and he told me about magic notepaper. Slayer is great money with these. Dragon tasks have never been so fast and profitable without summoning until now. Also recently hit 87 slayer!

In OSRS news, I've been questing like mad. Finished RFD finally and hit 179 quest points. I'm seriously considering going for Quest Cape. Going to pick up where I left Legends Quest when I wake up.

Nebula

So I didn't have anything in kingdom (probably took it all out and sold it before I quit) but I decided to drop 3M in there and see what happened.

375k later and this is what I earned:

e1yPgkh.png

Pretty damn good if you ask me. You can see what plots I'm having worked in the picture above.

Dec

And another update half an hour after the quest released... hope it wasn't a grave glitch, glad I haven't died so far.

Edit: Straight up can't sign in anymore. For the past like 20 minutes.

Edit: I finished the quest. It's pretty short, but took me a couple hours because of post patch updates, banking often to ensure I had substantial amounts of food and no guide even as of now.

There is a lot of hidden stuff in the world that no one has documented yet, so it's been pretty cool exploring every nook and cranny to find it. I imagine some paths open up after the quest, but I haven't looked around enough yet.

liftedly

Jagex partnered with SuperSonic Ads, you can earn runecoins by completing their ad offers now. More information here.

Pretty interesting, definitely has me thinking twice about straight-up buying runecoins in the future. I wonder how long it'll take before they start offering membership and (god forbid) bonds...

Nebula

Jesus christ they mentioned it possibly being tied to Treasure Hunter in the future.

Fuck me why not just let people straight up pay for 99s and be done with it.

Dec

What's the difference between getting keys this way or buying them?

It's mostly bonus xp anyways, and the game is already full of that.

Edit: I'm going to not do any of these offer things. They link to nothing but ad redirecting sites and I am not sure I trust 90% of them. I did one, because it linked directly to the site in question. I tried one survey and after I had done all of it the last screen said they had already filled their quota. So I wasted my time? Shit like download VLC media player, linked to some weird site seemingly only hosting that one program, or one of the requirement for Runecoins being to install and program and the toolbar packaged with it, are just beyond what I'm willing to do for some cosmetics.

Nebula

I've been reading the subreddit and a lot of those sites and downloads are malicious and will fuck with your computer. This is absolutely disgusting.

Dec

I've been reading the subreddit and a lot of those sites and downloads are malicious and will fuck with your computer. This is absolutely disgusting.

I haven't actually received any Runecoins from the one I could find that wasn't shady as hell.

Dec

Anyone know what the fastest melee xp in the game is? I'm decently close to the new master capes and might try for 'em. Not sure.

Top Bottom