• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradon

So I accidentally read a lot of the apparent leaks about All Stars 2 from
Alaska's ex (top 4, leaving first) when I was trying to find the rumoured All Stars 2 cast.
What're the chances of those leaks even being real?

I'll be somewhat bummed if it's true but I guess it'd be my own fault...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just saw the Best Drag Looks of the Episode from tonight and everything looks pretty tragic. R.I.P

Shizuka

So I accidentally read a lot of the apparent leaks about All Stars 2 from
Alaska's ex (top 4, leaving first) when I was trying to find the rumoured All Stars 2 cast.
What're the chances of those leaks even being real?

I'll be somewhat bummed if it's true but I guess it'd be my own fault...

Pretty real.

kirblar

Not a word I normally use, but basic is the only word to describe Naomi's final outfit tonight. Expecting an elimination here because of that.

Subaru

I'm pretty shocked because I was really expecting
Chi Chi.........................
on TOP 3.
Well, now it's between
Bob and Kim, but we all know that Bob The Drag Queen is the Next Drag Superstar

mantidor

Imagine if Bob loses lol

I kind of like the variety the top 3 has, but those are not the top 3 queens of this season, bah, in the words of bob why am I gagging, she does that every season...

B-Dex

hvXFILT.png

Are you telling me that Kim Chi took one step to the right in the lipsync and is in the top 3? Bitch, please.

edit: And I forgot about those contrived ass waterworks. How is the lipsync the last chance to impress somebody and you choose the ho that stands still? just ugh.

Rayis

I like the top 3, not a top 3 I expected but a pretty good one nonetheless, Bob is winning and she deserves it, Naomi is fuckin' gorgeous and just like Violet serves sickening high fashion looks, Kim is just so lovable and dorky and her paint and fashion skills are second to none.

Not a word I normally use, but basic is the only word to describe Naomi's final outfit tonight. Expecting an elimination here because of that.

I'd agree but she just looks so good in it, loved the hair (even if it's the same wig she used on ep 1 but I'm partial to long, flowy hair) and her long legs are to die for.

Are you telling me that Kim Chi took one step to the right in the lipsync and is in the top 3? Bitch, please.
She'll probably win, so ready yourself.

As per A.V. Club:

When the judges are deliberating, Ross Matthews mentions that Kim Chi has the potential to truly evolve drag, and you can see RuPaul’s eyes light up as she agrees. Kim is one of the most talented queens to ever be a part of this show, and her work elevates drag to fine art. I want to see what she could do with the resources afforded by this series’ $100,000 grand prize, and I think Ru does too. The judges shower praise on everyone, but Kim is the only one that is named as the queen that could usher in the next stage of drag, which makes me very optimistic about her chances in the finale.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hated Naomi's final look, that is not a best drag look

Monocle

Thrilled with this top three. I expected Bob, Thorgy, and maybe Acid Betty to be finalists. Kim Chi and Naomi emerged as two of my favorites during the course of the season, so how could I be disappointed? I admire Chi Chi's growth but she's not top three material yet.

Bob is going to taken the crown, obviously. Cheers to the other two though. They earned their places.

Then again, Kim Chi would be great too. She's as talented as Bob in a very different way, and has such a sweet personality. She's already a brilliant representative of the creative potential of drag.

mantidor

In terms of really pushing Drag boundaries Acid Betty takes the cake, but Kim Chi is just too popular. I mean I love her as well, but Acid really goes another level in blurring the gender lines and making art, per Bob's description :p

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
But Acid and that Snatch Game and the runaway look that missed her up for the lipsync... Acid elimination was pretty valid to be quite honest.

Haxan

Banned
Kim Chi would be a disappointment but unfortunately I think she's going to win.

If all three of these queens were performing at different clubs on the same night, I'd easily go see Bob. You'd get a guaranteed entertaining shot. Kim Chi, you'd get about a minute of entertainment per costume change, and maybe a few giggles once she inevitably falls over. Kim Chi is like, I dunno, a Miss Fame-level drag queen. Maybe Violet. And Violet only won last year because we had no better options.

mantidor

But Acid and that Snatch Game and the runaway look that missed her up for the lipsync... Acid elimination was pretty valid to be quite honest.

Oh absolutely but Kim Chi was unfairly kept safe all competition.

The C is missing from Kim Chi.

She is endearing and kind of adorable in a dorky way, and even as sweet as she is she can throw some shade, she has the C alright, what she's missing is the N.

kirblar

She is endearing and kind of adorable in a dorky way, and even as sweet as she is she can throw some shade, she has the C alright, what she's missing is the N.
The performance aspect (She can get attention, but can she hold it?) is what I see as an issue there.

Monocle

edit: And I forgot about those contrived ass waterworks. How is the lipsync the last chance to impress somebody and you choose the ho that stands still? just ugh.
Hating on Kim for not excelling in her weakest area? Your compulsive nastiness is really tiresome at times. Especially when you don't even pretend to care about a fair accounting of the facts. Everyone knows Kim is a look queen. That's her area of expertise and she's great at it, so why zero in on her obvious lack of physical grace like all of her other qualities are worthless? Why does she have to be a brilliant performer when she's more than brilliant enough in another area? You could tear any queen in Drag Race history to shreds if you decided to judge them solely by their shortcomings.

Kim Chi would be a disappointment but unfortunately I think she's going to win.

If all three of these queens were performing at different clubs on the same night, I'd easily go see Bob. You'd get a guaranteed entertaining shot. Kim Chi, you'd get about a minute of entertainment per costume change, and maybe a few giggles once she inevitably falls over. Kim Chi is like, I dunno, a Miss Fame-level drag queen. Maybe Violet. And Violet only won last year because we had no better options.
Violet's drag is ridiculously polished though. I have no problem with that win.

Miss Fame has skills but I don't think she quite compares to Kim Chi's creativity. Kim's an endless fountain of visual innovation. It's not just that her concepts are impressive—their execution is totally on point too.

Haxan

Banned
Well, she's definitely more visually creative than Fame, but they share that deep intimacy with chickens, so I felt it fitting to group them together.

Kim is probably the first queen since the likes of Tyra Sanchez and Raja to consistently wow me with her looks. But she doesn't have the performance aspect down so I would be a little disappointed if she won.
Naomi has grown on me a lot but much like Adore she needs a little more growth. She'll get bookings anyway.
Bob is the most well-rounded queen so without the likes of Acid still in the running she seems like an obvious win.

Gradon

Two out of my predicted top 3 pre season. Honestly I'm okay with the top 3, I don't think Naomi has a chance unfortunately.

I'm okay with either Kim or Bob winning, Kim has consistently astounded me and Bob is just amazing at almost everything.

Did you guys know they recorded a double win between
Adore and Bianca at the Season 6 reunion
, but they never decided on that? Do you think they'd try that again? I wouldn't be mad.

Wayward thoughts:

- Kim Chi has never been in the bottom two for reasons beyond her performance on the show. They've protected her this entire time, and even though her drag is editorial and impressive, not being able to do basic drag 101 things like being a versatile performer or walking in heels would have sent her packing real quick in earlier seasons.

- The show seems to have evolved from rewarding queens who are versatile and multi-faceted to keeping queens who have "that one thing," other flaws be damned. Jinkx Monsoon began that trend and I remember so many people being upset that she lasted to the end despite some glaring flaws. At the end of the day the queens who show themselves trying, and have captivating personalities, are the ones who win this show. Meanwhile, the well balanced Acids and Thorgys of the world get swept under the rug.

- The final three is solid, I do like Naomi Smalls but the discrepancy between her and the other two is huge as far as impact. Makes me wish I got to see another S8 queen up there instead.

- That director was literally yelling "yaaaas omg" at Kim Chi's take and all she was doing was crossing a hand over her face. Rigged af. lol

- Bob is obviously winning, as much as they were fluffing up Kim this episode to make it seem like a close two-woman race, Bob has still win the most challenges, has decimated Kim in every challenge that wasn't runway focused, and has obviously been the editors' favorite this whole time. Even if Kim wins on social media, they wouldn't dare not crown the queen with the most wins.

I'll need to wait for the finale, but this season was a lot of fun albeit too short. 9 episodes makes this the second shortest season after the first, and I really wanted to see more from these queens. It's weird how this show gets bigger yet still makes cuts here and there as if it was on a downward slide. Don't know what's going on there.

kirblar

Adore and Courtney were both protected through S6 in this same way, it was very noticeable.

(Also, like S6, we have a "up and comer" and a Look Queen along with an established standout performer who was the frontrunner coming into the season.)

Having seen Kim perform a number of times, I would say the show is portraying her pretty accurately in terms of ability. She's got really wonderful, high concept looks and is clever and funny to talk to, but she is kind of a dud on stage. If you think about what winning Drag Race entails, it means touring and performing your ass off for the next several years. If Kim wins, she's really going to have to put work on that aspect of her drag. I think Bob would be a much better choice.

Strike me down but I agree with AV Club... Kim Chi is going to evolve drag... I only disagree that she will be amazing at it. I think I Kim Chi will definitely top drag in the most Met Gala way but I don't think she can command a stage. That's going to hold her back.

I want Bob to win because he is the closest to all criteria that this competition represents except for one, but if Kim Chi wins, I'm not going to be mad. I feel like while she was weak, she really did grow with the show. Idk.

I have a weak opinion but this top 3 was really good. Sad to see Chi Chi go but I knew she wasn't going to win. I think Ru will hook her up later tho.

Shizuka

I think Kim Chi might win because she's a unique character in the competition and BTDQ is similar to Bianca in ways that the competition doesn't really go for similar winners.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really didn't want Kim to make the top3 because I'm sure she'll be a fan favorite over Bob. Now watch social media blow up for her support.

Pearl was super popular among fans last year but Violet still won.
Bob is still wildly popular on social media. I have seen way more BOb videos and gifs on Tumblr for example. Most of the Kim posts I see are pre- and post-Drag Race photo shoots and conceptual looks she's done.

Hating on Kim for not excelling in her weakest area?
Yes, because in a competition, at this point all the people with "weak areas" should have been weeded out. Just like they sent the far more impressive Acid Betty home for fucking up one challenge, Lil Kim shouldn't have made it this far.

Your compulsive nastiness is really tiresome at times.
You'll survive.

Especially when you don't even pretend to care about a fair accounting of the facts. Everyone knows Kim is a look queen. That's her area of expertise and she's great at it, so why zero in on her obvious lack of physical grace like all of her other qualities are worthless?
Because this is a competition. If someone has GLARING faults she shouldn't be where she is. The conceit of this show is that you need to have Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve AND TALENT, someone skating by on the strength of her paint is ludicrous. And I'm tired of every queen with a sad tale and some crocodile tears getting a pass every season. (mind you, those very same tears did squat for Trinity K. Bonet) I don't feel sympathy for a sad tale because we all got em, she's not special or unique.

Why does she have to be a brilliant performer when she's more than brilliant enough in another area? You could tear any queen in Drag Race history to shreds if you decided to judge them solely by their shortcomings.
She needs to be a brilliant performer because they have challenges based on performing. If it was a fierce paint competition, then by all means top 3 for her all day. She still wouldn't have beaten Acid Betty. I don't see why I'm being too harsh on her based on the premise of the show.

Wayward thoughts:
- Kim Chi has never been in the bottom two for reasons beyond her performance on the show. They've protected her this entire time, and even though her drag is editorial and impressive, not being able to do basic drag 101 things like being a versatile performer or walking in heels would have sent her packing real quick in earlier seasons.
Yup.

- The show seems to have evolved from rewarding queens who are versatile and multi-faceted to keeping queens who have "that one thing," other flaws be damned.
And where are they now? Every queen that had that "one thing" basically disappeared after the show. And the queens that held true to the spirit of drag are all over the place. Everyone has these lofty ideas about "evolving drag" but i'm not sure who they think is gonna spend coins to see these drag orchestras, or go down to the club and look at Lil Kims fierce paint.

Jinkx Monsoon began that trend and I remember so many people being upset that she lasted to the end despite some glaring flaws. At the end of the day the queens who show themselves trying, and have captivating personalities, are the ones who win this show.
And thats the thing, these people aren't winning because of drag, they're winning because its TV. Because these tumblrinas and tweeties have no access to drag outside of the internet, they don't know the realities of drag and what it takes to make it in the real world. Sitting around in fierce paint and a quirky personality ain't it. All the queens that are all over the place after the show have the same thing in common, they lived and breathed drag.

- That director was literally yelling "yaaaas omg" at Kim Chi's take and all she was doing was crossing a hand over her face. Rigged af. lol
Ugh.

Even if Kim wins on social media, they wouldn't dare not crown the queen with the most wins.
Ever since the internet got in Ru's ass for having 2 black queens (I think "Ru Clones" was the preferred nomenclature) win in a row she's been going out of her way to make sure to choose the most popular over the most talented.
Pearl was super popular among fans last year but Violet still won.
I think Pearl was only popular because he was hot out of drag. He was fairly mediocre in it.

Bob is still wildly popular on social media. I have seen way more BOb videos and gifs on Tumblr for example. Most of the Kim posts I see are pre- and post-Drag Race photo shoots and conceptual looks she's done.
Bob is super quoteable and I think she's the first queen I've seen interact with the crew on the show. I'm sure other queens have, but they've gone out of their way to show her interact with them and its been fairly endearing. I think I even saw one of the ladies going to the Met Gala yesterday going "purse first."
Ex0dEcA.png

Go in, 57821. Naomi or Kim could have bounced and I wouldn't have blinked an eye. Chi Chi though? Travesty.

Thank Artist.

I was team Chi Chi.

I just don't get how they went with Naomi over Chi Chi. Naomi had a couple of good moments, but she's not nearly on par with Kim Chi or Bob and Cheech is. A lot of Naomi's responses were shallow. "I deserve to be America's next drag superstar because...I'm a drag queen! Tee hee!" Ugh.

Kim Chi, I'm giving her kudos. I think she's earned her place in the top 3 despite her lack of coordination.

Naomi is comparatively basic and tends to be one note. She says she's not to be pidgeon holed into a label like one with the look, or the comedy, or the ability to dance, but she's very much the high fashion queen to me. I'll give her Wizard of Oz look and her book look, but that was it and was only two runways. Chi Chi destroyed Naomi in about everything else and felt like a really big outlier. I feel like the top three will suffer (if only slightly) because it's obviously not going to be Naomi who wins because no way is she beating Bob. I feel like a trio between Chi Chi, Bob, and Kim Chi would have been highly competitive and fucking fierce.

Oh well. Last night was tense, either way.

I essentially agree with Carson. I don't think Naomi is on the level of the other queens.and needs some time to grow.

But let's be real, she's got nothing on Chi Chi.

ChiChi is this year's Kennedy Davenport.

Except funnier, warmer, more creative and 8,000% more entertaining.

I hope Chi Chi builds on what she has because she has Alyssa Edwards-type potential. I can just watch her walk around and talk about things. lol

I need a gif of Chi Chi's amazing realness during that Book Ball when she was looking FIERCE as fuck. You know, from that clip that was played last night?

Naomi never touched those highs.

mantidor

ChiChi is this year's Kennedy Davenport.

Chi Chi entering top 3 would have not bothered anyone in all honesty, even after eliminating some popular queens, which they both did. Kennedy is far more experienced and thus more polished, and still Chi Chi's charisma drags her to the ground.

Shizuka

I dunno, I don't think ChiChi would've made a decision for a winner any harder than Naomi being on the Top 3. Both queens would get a Top 3 position as a crowning achievement, they'd never hope to go past that.

Unison

Huge gulf in CUNT-yness between Bob and the others... Chi Chi probably should have been in the finale, since Kim Chi is a bumbling mess on stage once you get past the look and Naomi keeps saying she's more than a model but hasn't done much to show it...

Jesus, they really need to drop the words of inspiration to your child self part next season, it just makes the pagent ending to the top 4 episode drag on (no pun intended). I got sick of hearing the same pat answers and platitudes just juggled around in a different order in each speech.

mantidor

So I finally catch up with the ep.

Goog god did their speeches suck, Alaska still winning the best speech ever.

But it was a good top 4 and a good top 3, it's like you know you are going to keep seeing more of them regardless of who wins,
Bob will win though.

Huge gulf in CUNT-yness between Bob and the others... Chi Chi probably should have been in the finale, since Kim Chi is a bumbling mess on stage once you get past the look and Naomi keeps saying she's more than a model but hasn't done much to show it...

How is Bob a cunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom