• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

I used to like Naomi's aesthetic during the show, but she did something to her lips that's not really flattering to young queens. It works when it's someone like Alaska that had thin lips to begin with, but not with Naomi.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
What I appreciate about Naomi is that her looks don't go all the way into fishy, they're semi-androgynous, which makes them more exciting and I hope she embraces that going forwards. I love queens who play with gender boundaries rather than going complete female impersonation or classic drag aesthetic, though I still respect those too.

If she's looking for a way to be unique, that could be it. By default she doesn't really look like anyone else, but I worry that she'll double down on the fishy supermodel look.

I think that being very aware of your own flaws puts you in the best position to be shady. See Thorgy's harshness. I can't talk for Kim's actual experience -- I could be projecting -- but that part in Untucked where she gives up on doing the play-runway in indicative of a relentless inner critical voice. So I feel sorry for her in that way.

But yeah, being 'nice' seems to be the thing in the RPDR fanbase now, the very shady Kim Chi has managed to slide under the radar. Still, I don't think at all drag queens need to be nice and I'm against the Disneyfication of drag. Kim Chi winning (based on her sob story) would be very Disney and so I expect it to happen.

(At the same time I think it's kind of eye-rolling for cattiness because it's often the default, so when a queen is entertaining without spitting venom every second (i.e. Alaska, Katya, Bob), it's VERY refreshing.

Who said anything about niceness? People love Betty and she's on fire most times.

I love Bianca for instance, and her reads. But there's something about Kim Chi. I like when she took Derrick to task, but when she started coming for Bob and CHEECH I wouldn't have it. Like it sometimes felt overbearing, like she's being TOO confident, when she hasn't had too many obstacles. It's just not a cute look to me.

What I appreciate about Naomi is that her looks don't go all the way into fishy, they're semi-androgynous, which makes them more exciting and I hope she embraces that going forwards. I love queens who play with gender boundaries rather than going complete female impersonation or classic drag aesthetic, though I still respect those too.

If she's looking for a way to be unique, that could be it. By default she doesn't really look like anyone else, but I worry that she'll double down on the fishy supermodel look.

I actually feel like Bob pulls androgyny better. I mean, Naomi is pretty but she looks pretty fishy there to me, and not androgynous. But then there's Bob's paint splat look. Feminine facial details, but then the lack of hair feels a bit masculine. There's something about Bob's drag that feels like it's pushing a boundary on gender expression. I can't say the same for Naomi. It feels done before to me.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I actually feel like Bob pulls androgyny better. I mean, Naomi is pretty but she looks pretty fishy there to me, and not androgynous. But then there's Bob's paint splat look. Feminine facial details, but then the lack of hair feels a bit masculine. There's something about Bob's drag that feels like it's pushing a boundary on gender expression. I can't say the same for Naomi. It feels done before to me.
Oh yeah Bob's very intelligent with her looks and as someone said earlier in the thread there's no sense that Bob gets into character, Bob is just Bob (as the name suggests), whether dressed male or female or somewhere in between. She just needs a final push of polish. I kind of don't even bring up Bob because she's so far ahead!

I guess what I'm seeing in Naomi is more potential than what she's currently presenting most of the time, but when she does give a look where she clearly has a male body but presented in a really feminine way, I find it breathtaking - like in the towel image above. She does good fishy editorial model looks as well but it's like, of course she does, look at her. I hope she explores more in terms of androgyny, because she's born with the potential for it.

In thinking more of where these finalists would sit in the "pantheon" of Drag Race winners, wouldn't you say Naomi's too similar to Violet Chachki to be worth crowning? Both are look queens albeit one veers more towards classic spread modeling and the other is more vintage showgirl. Don't see much separation otherwise.

I get the similarities between Bianca and Bob too but Bianca is classic stand up comedian, whereas Bob is much more versatile with what he can do. He can do stand up, he can lip sync, he can be political, he can do full glam if he wanted. Bianca is much more locked into her crutch.

Shizuka

In thinking more of where these finalists would sit in the "pantheon" of Drag Race winners, wouldn't you say Naomi's too similar to Violet Chachki to be worth crowning? Both are look queens albeit one veers more towards classic spread modeling and the other is more vintage showgirl. Don't see much separation otherwise.

I get the similarities between Bianca and Bob too but Bianca is classic stand up comedian, whereas Bob is much more versatile with what he can do. He can do stand up, he can lip sync, he can be political, he can do full glam if he wanted. Bianca is much more locked into her crutch.

I don't think Bob can do full glam compared to Bianca. Bob may be more versatile compared to Bianca, but that means he isn't better than Bianca when considering Bianca's strong points.

Rayis

I personally like Bob much more than Bianca, never been a huge fan of Bianca myself because I feel like she's WAY too much into her shtick and we never get honest vulnerability from her, whereas Bob can turn off her comedy persona and not always be on the defensive, I also disagree with people who say Bob's fashion is busted, in terms of looks she's one of the best comedy queens, much better than Ginger Minj last season.

As much as I love Naomi and want to look like her and how much Kim Chi is an adorable person which makes me want to hug her, I'm ultimately #TeamBob because she obviously deserves it the most out of those three queens.

mantidor

The thing with Bianca is that her makeup and outfits are at least always on point, even if she only has one :p Bob's makeup was pretty bad.

However when you look at someone like Jinks and how busted she was on show and how much has she grown you can't help but be excited to where Bob will go, she has all the potential to surpass Bianca.

mantidor

I don't think Bob's makeup is bad. Not busted by any means. A bit simplistic, but not busted.

Her final drag look was terrible! I feel she received critics for her simple makeup and tried to drag it up but the whole thing was edited out. I'm actually ok with her more simple makeup, it's certainly refreshing but many would argue that it's not drag.

Acid Betty for miss congeniality :p

But seriously all queens seem to like her and all queens seem to not like Berry that much.

Her final drag look was terrible! I feel she received critics for her simple makeup and tried to drag it up but the whole thing was edited out. I'm actually ok with her more simple makeup, it's certainly refreshing but many would argue that it's not drag.

All the final looks were pretty plain, though. Naomi's was baaad. Chi Chi's was the only one that was on the ball.

Marco Marco is terrible fashion. Let her do some fashion spreads or something like Pearl and some other girls did and walk some better runways.

Tea. Marco Marco is so trashy. I'd gag over Naomi walking for a legit fashion house. If Violet and Fame can get in Vogue Italia, Naomi definitely should too.

Scribble

Who said anything about niceness? People love Betty and she's on fire most times.

I love Bianca for instance, and her reads. But there's something about Kim Chi. I like when she took Derrick to task, but when she started coming for Bob and CHEECH I wouldn't have it. Like it sometimes felt overbearing, like she's being TOO confident, when she hasn't had too many obstacles. It's just not a cute look to me.

I didn't read it as too confident (as in cocky). Overbearing and machine gun like, yes. But it's not as if she isn't constantly turning it on herself -- I think she is VERY self aware. I do generally agree that her flaws have gone under the radar.

RE: Bob vs Bianca

Bianca and Bob are both comedy queens, but I don't really find Bianca funny tbh. She uses that really repetitive, safe, 'edgy' humour. She's like a comedy robot and sometimes comes off as if she intensively studied Comedy for Dummies (although Bob is guilty of reciting passages from Comedy For Dummies) I feel that Bob actually has material worth listening to (I don't want to say meaningful or politica or artistic, but something along those lines) and that's the kind of comedy queen that RPDR hasn't seen before.

As I've said, winning will give Bob the final touches or two of polish he needs.

B-Dex

Icant with Laganja naming her dog Little Dabbers.

tumblr_o6ruquRqoy1qzx4aro1_1280.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Unless I'm mistaken, Willam has been to every Drag Con, so he still associates with the Drag Race brand and Ru in some capacity. Yet, he's completely disappeared from the show ever since his season. I don't get it.

Plus, hasn't he been shit-talking it lately?

He broke things off with WOW or vice versa, so he shit talks them all the time but he still speaks highly of Ru and Michelle. I dunno, I think they're on good enough terms and Ru recognizes his talent/popularity.

Shizuka

He broke things off with WOW or vice versa, so he shit talks them all the time but he still speaks highly of Ru and Michelle. I dunno, I think they're on good enough terms and Ru recognizes his talent/popularity.

Hope, he pulled Ru through the mud earlier this year. It was ugly and really rude.

From what I gather, Ru and Willam are on rocky terms but Ru and the studio know Willam can bring in money and fans and Willam likes a good gig so they work together sometimes.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Unless I'm mistaken, Willam has been to every Drag Con, so he still associates with the Drag Race brand and Ru in some capacity. Yet, he's completely disappeared from the show ever since his season. I don't get it.

Plus, hasn't he been shit-talking it lately?

Well Willam did break the rules in the competition plus talked some shit about the show a few times. Ru acknowledges Willam talent but I dont think Ru wants to put someone who breaks the rules and talk shit about her show publicly like that.

kirblar

There's a Bianca special.

I don't understand this gap they do every year, it really fucks up things for the audience.

Shizuka

I bought that Bianca special last year, it was underwhelming. I wish there was that countdown to the season specials with guests.

I'm jealous of anyone going to drag con, if anybody here is going please give us the details.

I posted a bit about it on LettersGAF. I was too toatsed to take pictures, but friends came to the rescue.

Bob walked in purse first. With this adorable, sweet fucking purse:

Raja:

Latrice being a glorious Phoenix down summon:

Juju:

Raven:

And sorry for repeatedly spamming myself but me grabbing a handful of waxy Mama Ru :

And my midlife crisis hair for the occasion:

It just ended and I'm already hyped to go back next year.

lmao I thought that was the real Ru

Your hair looks fine
missny-diva.gif

Yaaas New York.

I didn't see actual Ru on the floor, but I'm sure there would have been a massive line wherever she would have been. I really wanted to go Sunday to see her keynote speech, but couldn't get it off from work. For sure doing both days next year.

I think my favorite part was seeing all the different attendees and their varying degrees of dressing up or down. It was also organized really well btw. We were waiting in line to get our badges, and the line spilled outdoors. It started raining (because LA weather is confused as fuck) and they immediately shuffled us in.

BTW, I tried the RuPaul chocolate bar at the Con. It's really good, but god damn I dunno if it's $7 for a candy good. I kept the box and everytime I look at it, I kinda need more though. They also had a Nutella flavor, but I wasn't about to let myself or buds spend $14 on two chocolate bars.

lenovox1

BTW, I tried the RuPaul chocolate bar at the Con. It's really good, but god damn I dunno if it's $7 for a candy good. I kept the box and everytime I look at it, I kinda need more though. They also had a Nutella flavor, but I wasn't about to let myself or buds spend $14 on two chocolate bars.

Well, damn. Did the proceeds at least go to charity?

Shizuka

It was a long time, but I got the impression that there were cliques and people already knew one another, and I don't like feeling like I'm the new weird person in the room, which is how I was treated, at least at first.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It was a long time, but I got the impression that there were cliques and people already knew one another, and I don't like feeling like I'm the new weird person in the room, which is how I was treated, at least at first.
We all start as newbies there. Its all a matter of participating to learn the people. There is also the discord chat so you can chat live with the guys if they are there.

Well, damn. Did the proceeds at least go to charity?

It says so on the box so that's nice at least, but it still stings haha.

They're usually pretty nice over there. You're welcome to try again whenever you feel like it. 👌🙋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom