• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Ep3 thoughts:
I'd be very, very surprised if the final 3 isn't ChiChi/Thorgy/Bob based on what we've seen so far- all 3 are killing it.

Continuing to love Kim Chi <3, now feeling Bob as well. Acid Betty's drag interests me but her personality is kind of ick. I'm excited to see more from Thorgy as well. I keep forgetting to watch Untucked though, I got so used to just taping it. :X

Make sure to watch tomorrow night too! Logo needs dem' ratings honey
grin.gif

oti

Banned
I now understand why Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb said it was the best reality TV show on air. I reall like the fast pacing and all the interesting characters. (Still skip the runway and lip sync sections because I really don't care about them though.)

I found the Ru-up videos on YT and they are better than the show itself.

MrV4ltor

I now understand why Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb said it was the best reality TV show on air. I reall like the fast pacing and all the interesting characters. (Still skip the runway and lip sync sections because I really don't care about them though.)

Wait. Do you know where he said that?

okno

What say what what?! Blasphemy!

Cannot wait for tonight's episode.

Watching this show in a gay bar filled with opinionated gays and queens is the quintessential Drag Race experience. I love seeing which queens everyone loves and hates. Everyone's here for Bob and Thorgy more than anyone (including Cynthia, who was a regular performer here. RIP).

Rayis

Naysha coming back is the epitome of predictable

I will miss the cucu references so much, Robbie is way less entertaining even with that killer lipsync

also Naomi girl, I really like you but please use a different style of outfit for your next runway, you've done almost the same one these past 3 episodes,

REALLY here for Bob, I like that she's a funny queen but also a fairly fashionable one.

I can't decide whether Thorgy is attractive out of drag or not but she's hella charming for sure.

kirblar

All this time I always thought they had to make their own dresses
They only have to do that for specific challenges like the first one this year.

Normal runways they have to bring their own stuff, and for challenges like RuCo and Bitch Perfect they have production help.

mantidor

I'm the only one amazed by Betty's body painting? that shit is flawless every single time and she has not repeated one single pattern so far.

All this time I always thought they had to make their own dresses

It's not a requirement however many of the queens do make their own clothes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
While the Queens this season are really strong, there's always a risk of stronger personalities leaving prematurely. This always ends up disrupting the dynamic of the workroom, and ultimately dampening the entertainment.

This is how I hope the eliminations will go until the final episode, thus maximizimg the potential of this season.

Ep 3:
Cynthia
Ep 4:
Naysha
Ep 5:
Derrick
Ep 6:
Robbie
Ep 7:
Naomi
Ep 8:
Kim
Ep 9:
Chi Chi
Ep 10:
Thorgy, Betty, Bob
Winner:
Bob

Worst case scenario: any of my top 3 leaving before episode 8.

How would you guys order your eliminations?

Shoulda been Derrick and Cynthia. What's his name slayed the lipsync though. I woulda sent Cynthia home as soon as she picked heels. Derrick and his man face gotta go.

mantidor

No way you have a skilled roller skater and don't make her lipsync in wheels, it's good television no matter how scripted. That was everything.

Monocle

Impressions:

Damn, Ru looks so dashing in that brown suit. There I was expecting something bright and ostentatious, and in he walks, dapper af. He should mix it up like that more often.

Naysha's back? I honestly would have preferred Shangela. Or Porkchop, for real. I'm hoping she somehow impresses me and justifies her return after more interesting queens like Laila and Dax have departed. More realistically, I hope she helps send away one or two of the queens I'm not into and then gets eliminated herself. (Bye Robbie and Cynthia and maybe Derrick. She'd better not outlast anyone else.)

OK, I'm definitely a fan of Thorgy now. I love her out of drag. I like how she's direct without being catty. I'm finding more things to like in her drag even though her aesthetic doesn't grab me like, say, Kim Chi's and Acid Betty's.

Speaking of Kim Chi, I love her style a little bit more every time I see her. She has a sharp eye for design. Great concepts.

Bob's white pimp coat is doing a lot for me right now. And that bodysuit reveal, work it! I seriously underestimated her style. Can we just crown her the winner already?

Here's Ru impressing me again! Based on that hideous baby blue gown with the giant bow in the promo material, I was really worried her style would be off-putting this season. Nope! She's looking so damn classy.

Runway time!

Naysha's look is so bland. I mean it's cute, but it's not cute. Oops, falling already? Yeah, she can leave anytime.

Oh Derrick, what are you doing with that big floofy things? Looks so awkward on wheels. I will give her some credit though: she's serving a lot less Britney than I expected. She's trying and I appreciate that.

Yes Acid Betty! Slaying the Rupocalyptic challenge four seasons later.

I am still enjoying Naomi Smalls, but just once I wish she would pad her hips. Imagine those legs on a curvy figure. Those proportions are insane. She could be even more stunning if she chose not to serve boy body all the time.

Yep, there's definitely more to Bob's style than I was giving her credit for. I didn't see that robotic look coming.

Here I was questioning if Cynthia could be more annoying, and she arrives in this basic country look. Now I don't have to wonder.

See, now here's Chi Chi showing Naysha how it's done. The neon and that snatched up hair fit the roller skate theme so well.

What's this, a Robbie look I actually kind of like? I have to hand it to her, that jumpsuit was a good decision. She's got moves with those skates too, tempting fate with that spin. This is the first time she's stood out to me since her photo in Episode 1.

Kim Chi did better than I expected in that acting challenge. Good thing she switched roles with Thorgy (who killed it while looking totally fierce). Otherwise she might have been lipsyncing tonight.

I don't know, I'm sort of feeling Derrick in that afro.

OMG, is it too early to crown Bob? Just do it Ru. She's the total package.

Cynthia... There was very little to love in that performance. All you had to say was "My line delivery could have been better." I love how Michelle dragged her without a word. That laugh said everything.

Oh dear, here's Robbie with the excuses. I am sure she'll be able to explain away all of the judges' concerns. Keep talking honey!

Damn right Bob is the winner of this week's challenge! It was between her and Thorgy, clearly. I think Bob's improv gave her the slight edge.

Revising my top 3 predictions: Bob, Thorgy, ??? (could be Kim Chi or Acid Betty, and I've been thinking Chi Chi has a chance too). Derrick and Cynthia are clearly doomed, and no doubt Naysha will be out within a few episodes unless something goes horribly wrong.

I'm calling it now: Robbie's going to skate circles around Cynthia in this lipsync. Heels vs skates, a Drag Race first. I love it.

Girl, nobody cares about your cucu when Robbie's busting those moves.

Nailed it. Bye Cynthia.

I wish Laila had returned instead of Naysha. Maybe she was too much of a wildcard. I think she had the potential to last until mid-season. I certainly would have liked to see more of her runway fashions than Naysha's. Laila was messy but at least she's wasn't boring.

Loved this episode. Loving this season.

WTF is this madness?

oti

Banned
WTF is this madness?

This show for me is all about the different personalities clashing against each other and the fun situations that arise from there. All the other elements in this show like the runway or the lip sync or the pit crew stuff is just boring to me. I want to see Bianca Del Rio cracking jokes, not dresses.

But I'm not saying they should change the show. I'm OK with skipping around.

Monocle

This show for me is all about the different personalities clashing against each other and the fun situations that arise from there. All the other elements in this show like the runway or the lip sync or the pit crew stuff is just boring to me. I want to see Bianca Del Rio cracking jokes, not dresses.

See, for me creative or elegant fashion is so stimulating. It appeals to me on a visceral level. It's the same reason I was instantly fascinated with Lady Gaga after The Fame blew up (and a big part of why I utterly loved her role in American Horror Story: Hotel). I like the interplay between big personalities well enough, but the main draw for me is watching a group of artistic performers present exciting new visual creations. That's probably why I tend to favor the more fashionable queens, unless they're exceptionally charismatic like Alaska or Bob. (Of course, it turns out that both of them are no slouch in the fashion department. The less witty girls have to work twice as hard to be half as memorable.)

mantidor

I get the lipsyncs, although some are very memorable, but I don't get not liking the runway, specially with how varied it is, something always pops up whether is amazing or just plain ugly.

okno

Then why did I bother putting on thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
SLAYED! Great episode. Really hope Derrick goes next, followed by Naysha, then Robbie. Bye girl, bye.

Did not care for Bob's runway look. I liked the idea quite a bit, but it just looked SO cheap.

Betty's look was cool, but I feel as though she does the same silhouette every time, with body paint in all the same spots. It looks great, but it's getting predictable.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Chi Chi is a damn mess on untucked
loving it

Jesus H Christ
Ginger Minj looks fucking gross on pit stop

Shizuka

Can I be honest? What can Derrick slay in this competition? We're past the dancing challenge and she was underwhelming. Come Snatch game and she's doing Britney? I bet she'll surprise people with her Amy Winehouse impersonation instead, but can she nail it? She's disappointing me a lot.

oti

Banned
I get the lipsyncs, although some are very memorable, but I don't get not liking the runway, specially with how varied it is, something always pops up whether is amazing or just plain ugly.

I'm just not interested in fashion. I remember when I visited my family in Greece, my aunt owns a flower shop and I helped her one day, there was Project Runway running during lunch time and I really enjoyed seeing the process the designers went through from initial inspiration to execution and just the struggle they faced. I also liked how the show didn't do too much drama crap and it really was about the people and their vision. Once the runway came up I lost interest though. I don't get fashion, I don't know whether a dress is good or not. I liked the fast paced cuts in those ru-up videos though. Comments like "meh of the week" and such, they're fun.

I could also do without all this lingo like serving and yass and slay blabla but I get that's a different culture and I accept it. The show is fun. I just happen to not enjoy every single aspect of it. That's ok.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Post Untucked thoughts:

Chi Chi— God love her God love her. She's so loveably ratchet, I'm dying. I'm okay if she makes it to top 3.

Derrick— I wanted her to leave by the end of Ep 5, but I'm starting to live for her cat fights with Betty. She gets so defensive and insecure by a single, one-eyed look from Betty.

Betty— that whole Trixie scene. So evil I love it.

The rest were okay. Naysha and Naomi are actually surprising me by how nice they are. I know it's wrong to judge a book from the cover, but I couldn't help see them as mean girls when they were first revealed.

Anyhow, the season is still going strong and I'm still a Bon stan.

Scribble

He's unattractive, to me. He looks like he's doing passive aggressive stankface whenever he disapproves of a contestant's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom