• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

This season is super exciting so far. As much as I enjoyed the fashionable queens and clashing personalities of Season 7, this group is so much more eclectic and high energy. I'm happy not to be subjected to another bitter old lady brigade. Season 8 feels fresh, and I can't quite pin down why (the cast has a lot to do with it I'm sure), but I'm loving it!

I'm sad to see Laila and Dax go because I was anticipating much more from them both on the runway. On the other hand, a double elimination in the second episode! Wow! I have to admit that neither queen demonstrated any major strengths. I thought Laila had tons of potential based on her Meet the Queens interview and videos of her earlier performances. It was surprising to see her struggle and fade to the background immediately. I hope she grows a lot from her Drag Race experience. In time she could become a cross between a polished Adore and a more scrappy Sharon Needles. Punky goth glamor, give it to me. I wish Laila good luck. I thought I saw a certain charisma in her that curled up and died in the show's competitive atmosphere. Rise from the grave, girl!

Bob and Acid Betty are impressing me to no end. Bob has winner written all over her. That confidence. That understated, put-together style. What I mistook for blandness is actually just the absence of flashy ornamentation, which would only be an unneeded crutch for her brand of drag. I was feeling the natural black beauty she served this week. She's got to be top 3. I can't see it going any other way.

Bob is magnetic and likable. Betty commands attention in a completely different way, with her radical style and biting personality. Not magnetic so much as difficult to ignore. That's not necessarily a strength in itself. As we know, having a ruthless attitude, verging on mean, didn't work out so well for queens in past seasons (hi Phi Phi and Roxxxy). Regardless, after that Money Ball gown and her strong performance in the challenges, Betty is plainly a major contender. (BTW, I was so into her runway look from the knees up, excluding the saggy thing happening in the back. Even after seeing what she could do in Ep. 1, she caught me off guard there. Elegance with an edge, love it.)

Cynthia is amusing at times but mostly annoying. Nothing special on the runway. She can go anytime.

Derrick's inability to handle criticism, based on the first episode of Untucked, is going to be a serious issue going forward, as the pressure mounts and she gets harsher feedback. Despite what I said earlier in this thread, I ended up liking how she showed a different side of her drag self. And her polyamorous relationship is intriguing. None of that is relevant to her attitude probs though. I've always liked her, so hope she finds a way to dial down her ego.

Naomi might be on the chopping block soon, along with Derrick. I love her style as I've mentioned before, but she's being dwarfed by some of the other talents and personalities she's up against.

Robbie (who I seriously forgot about until I read the last page)...you're not a jerk or anything, but please go soon.

Chi Chi has grown on me a lot. Still not wowed by her style, but she's well rounded overall and seems nice enough in general. I'm also warming up to Thorgy now that I sort of get what she's about. I hope neither queen makes top 3, although I have to admit Thorgy may have a chance.

Kim Chi is just a total sweetheart. I want to see way more of her. I fear for her chances as the challenges ramp up. Hopefully she somehow makes the top 3 along with Bob and Betty.

I'm so glad to see that season 8 has won people back over. It really does boil down to having interesting queens and big names. It's why seasons 5 and 6 were so fun. We wanted to see these popular queens get a shot and show off their skills.

Acid, Bob, Kim and Derrick are definitely big names in the drag world. Glad to see that they're all here to win.

MrV4ltor

I think S7 was worse than previous season, because

1. Casting. They really seemed to go with style over substance for S7. Queens like Pearl, Max, Kandy and even Violet don't have big personalities to go along with their looks.

2. Lack of passion. This refers to everyone from the editors, to the queens and even to Ru herself. Everyone just seemed so over it, the editing was bland and monotone and none of the queens seemed to be really hungry for that crown.

3. Challenges. The ammount of scripted acting challenges made it hard for the queens who did actually have big personalities and were funny to show any of that off. There was no real stand-up comedy challenge and only 2 sewing challenges. A mess.

Glad they got rid of the people who were responsable for all this trash, especially the challenge creators.

kirblar

I think S7 was worse than previous season, because

1. Casting. They really seemed to go with style over substance for S7. Queens like Pearl, Max, Kandy and even Violet don't have big personalities to go along with their looks.

2. Lack of passion. This refers to everyone from the editors, to the queens and even to Ru herself. Everyone just seemed so over it, the editing was bland and monotone and none of the queens seemed to be really hungry for that crown.

3. Challenges. The ammount of scripted acting challenges made it hard for the queens who did actually have big personalities and were funny to show any of that off. There was no real stand-up comedy challenge and only 2 sewing challenges. A mess.

Glad they got rid of the people who were responsable for all this trash, especially the challenge creators.
One of the challenge guys got fired, right?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Stray obersvation:

- I'm captivated by Thorgy's honesty and directness. She told it like how it is this episode, to faces and not behind backs. This is related to how she told Chi Chi and Ru that she's gonna do her move anyways whether Chi Chi likes it or not. With a warm smile no less. This competitive/rebellious side of her is intriguing. Pair that with how she said on untcuked (regarding Dax's lumpy ass) "I might drop a hint, but I'm not saying it outright. My job is to send you home." It also means she has no qualms about throwing people under the bus lol.

- Anyone else got a good chuckle out of Bob's impression of Betty on Untcuked? I think it's spot on. I'd put money on her lashing out at the judges at some point. Assuming she lands in the bottom soon.

okno

Stray obersvation:

- I'm captivated by Thorgy's honesty and directness. She told it like how it is this episode, to faces and not behind backs, and with a smile. This is related to how she told Chi Chi and Ru that she's gonna do her move anyways whether Chi Chi likes it or not. With a warm smile no less. This competitive/defiant/rebellious side of her is intriguing. Pair that with how she said on untcuked (regarding Dax's lumpy ass) "I might drop a hint, but I'm not saying it outright. My job is to send you home." It also means she has no qualms about throwing people under the bus lol.

- Anyone else got a good chuckle out of Bob's impression of Betty on Untcuked? I think it's spot on. I'd put money on her lashing out at the judges at some point. Assuming she lands in the bottom soon.

*giggle*

Finally will have time to watch the second episode tonight and I can't waaaaaaait. Loving, loving, loving this season so far, and love the depth of conversation it is bringing out of people. Not just here, but everywhere I go and with all of my friends. It's a marvelous return to form!

edit: Thorgy is my spirit drag queen. When Tík Box (my drag persona) hits the stage, expect something similar. Love her to death, but she seems like she might be a little irritating to hang out with on a regular basis.

mantidor

This season is amazing, yes! it's back.

I really love all the cast, I'm going to be sad to see anyone go.

I hate Lucian's challenges, yes, he is freaking handsome, but they are always.. cringy, I hope this is the only one.

The editing is still getting on my nerves, we get it, you want a "story", but its contrived at this point, this isn't the first season of Survivor, people are very aware reality TV is scripted, I wish they would just stop. And now the add a "shade tree"?, we already have confessionals, that whole thing was absurd, it serves no purpose.

An example of reality without excessive/transparent editing, Untucked, which is everything. Or, the lipsync. Jeez, that lipsync... they never do this, this is probably the longest lipsync of drag race, they basically showed the whole thing just to make sure the audience knows the girls sucked. I was sad anyway, I liked them, and I think Dax wasn't bad in the choreography, but you can't mess up I will survive as a Drag Queen, you simply can't, and they did. And talking about basics of drag:

Gurl, not every queen has to be a model. I don't see it being a big deal unless there's a "Walk like a fucking model or you'll be eliminated" challenge. And Ru/the producers make all the decisions, not Michelle. Michelle and Ru even disagreed in Episode 1 about wanting to see more or less Britney in Derrick.

What? No. No. No. Even Michelle specifically mentioned the walk, they joked about the Yeti/Sasquatch thing again! It's not even about being a supermodel is about being comfortable in your skin, as they literally said "have fun on the runway", Kim isn't. They let her pass the first episode because they thought that was her style, but now they read her on that, she is being uncomfortable on the runway, that is terrible even if her looks are amazing.

The editing is still getting on my nerves, we get it, you want a "story", but its contrived at this point, this isn't the first season of Survivor, people are very aware reality TV is scripted, I wish they would just stop. And now the add a "shade tree"?, we already have confessionals, that whole thing was absurd, it serves no purpose.
Agree about the shade tree, I didn't get that at all. Seems like they decided to add it after seeing Michelle in CBB, with it's diary room? Seems pointless. What I like is seeing them cht-chatting at the mirrors whilst they put make-up on, there's a lot of unique, funny revealing moments and often it shows them all getting on and having a laugh (maybe that's why they don't show a whole lot of it?!). I'd take an extra couple of minutes of work room kiki-ing than the shade tree!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I guess the shade tree is just an attempt to be a bit more authentic rather than recording a reaction to something that happened hours before

I always thought it was super harsh that they recorded confessionals of the queens up for lipsync. You've just been sent home but stick around a bit and act like you don't know whats about to happen

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I guess the shade tree is just an attempt to be a bit more authentic rather than recording a reaction to something that happened hours before

I always thought it was super harsh that they recorded confessionals of the queens up for lipsync. You've just been sent home but stick around a bit and act like you don't know whats about to happen
This is more or less what I wanted say. However having both formats side by side is confusing for viewers, so they need to stick to one. Based on the past two episodes I'm wondering if the shade tree will end up being underutilized.

mantidor

The problem is that confessionals should be authentic. They obviously aren't, to they point they make the girls were the same clothes every single time so they can edit them at their hearts content to fabricate basically any story, but they are meant to be their real reactions. Having a BB-like room is basically admitting their confessionals aren't sincere.

I swore I wasn't going to watch this season but I cracked and ended up watching the first two episodes. I’m glad to see they’ve made some effort in fixing the issues with Season 7. Hopefully we continue to get more individual challenges, and less acting/musical group bullshit. I actually really like all the queens aside from Acid Betty (but I do kinda live for how rude she is).

Going into this season, I wasn’t really a fan of Kim. I remember when she started out in Chicago, and I’ve never been very impressed by her. She can pull off some really sickening looks, but she’s really not that great of a performer. What you see on the show is pretty accurate. Anyway, I’m rooting for her, which is annoying because she’s so clearly getting a winning edit and its aggravating to be so easily manipulated. It’s interesting to see her and Pearl become super successful, because when they first started coming out to clubs together in Chicago, I thought they were lame. Kim has definitely stepped her game up a crazy amount in the short time she’s been doing drag.

Rayis

I honestly thought Betty should have won the challenge over Chi Chi, I didn't quite get why Chi Chi won considering her runway look was kinda basic compared to Betty's but anyway, this was a fantastic episode, Kim's is adorable but she needs to fix that walk asap.

Also, I'm ready for
Max
to come back and be given a second chance

Shizuka

I honestly thought Betty should have won the challenge over Chi Chi, I didn't quite get why Chi Chi won considering her runway look was kinda basic compared to Betty's but anyway, this was a fantastic episode, Kim's is adorable but she needs to fix that walk asap.

Also, I'm ready for
Max
to come back and be given a second chance

Honestly, I think she should've won the first episode as well, even if her personality sucks. I was living for that money gown!

B-Dex

A new Trixie and Katya web series is coming. Also some Australian tv listing spilled the returning queen T.

I need a link XOXO
Klk3iXo.gif
Klk3iXo.gif

Kanhir

Eppy 3 thoughts!
- This season continues to be AMAZING. Like, I complain a lot about things, but that's only because I'm loving it.
- Robbie turned it the fuck out at the end. That skating lip sync is going right up there with the greats.
- Thorgy was robbed of this win. I was a Bob fan in the off-season, but I'm really warming to Thorgy now! She really carried their scene along.
- Kim is once again proving that she can do makeup and nothing else. Gurl, what are you good at? Quickly.
- Naysha returns and continues to be unremarkable. That was an anticlimactic ruveal.
- ...which in turn means Dax and Laila, after already getting a raw deal with the double elim, get pushed down to the bottom of the rankings.
- Acid is top 3 yet again and continues to be read for his style. Are they trying to provoke a Shannel-style meltdown?
- BYE CYNTHIA I WON'T MISS YOUR CUCU <3

Shizuka

Eppy 3 thoughts!
- This season continues to be AMAZING. Like, I complain a lot about things, but that's only because I'm loving it.
- Robbie turned it the fuck out at the end. That skating lip sync is going right up there with the greats.
- Thorgy was robbed of this win. I was a Bob fan in the off-season, but I'm really warming to Thorgy now! She really carried their scene along.
- Kim is once again proving that she can do makeup and nothing else. Gurl, what are you good at? Quickly.
- Naysha returns and continues to be unremarkable. That was an anticlimactic ruveal.
- ...which in turn means Dax and Laila, after already getting a raw deal with the double elim, get pushed down to the bottom of the rankings.
- Acid is top 3 yet again and continues to be read for his style. Are they trying to provoke a Shannel-style meltdown?
- BYE CYNTHIA I WON'T MISS YOUR CUCU <3

I agree with everything you just said. Bye girl bye.

Yado

I thought Kim was just as bad as Cynthia and should have been lipsyncing tbh. Derrick is so basic it's offensive.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
damn leaks
let me watch just so I don't accidently spoil myself

I want to watch it, but without Untucked it feels like half an episode.
Don't you have to wait until Tuesday for that anyway?

Ep. 3 thoughts!

The runway critiques were very brief. I wish all the episodes were 60 minutes like the first two. I wanted to see Michelle read Kim Chi for filth

The Empire references were EVERYTHING. The broom slayed me. All that was missing was Cookie's assistant from Precious

Derrick Barry has no soul. She's not long for this world.

Bob might be the most effortlessly flawless queen since Bianca. I'm snatcheD

Matt_

let me take my racist fucking self out with the trash
thinking Kim chi was saying Lucious with an r because of her accent before realising
ashamed of myself

edit; thoughts

poor cynthia, fly in one latin queen to get rid of the other. Obviously Naysha has the bigger appeal for them. can't see why (though I can see why she got sent home this week)
Kim chi is coasting on her make up and outfits
Naomi is also coasting but on those legs. This seasons courtney, with perhaps even less clothing
Derrick looked like he was going to impersonate britney 2007 when he was critiqued
Robbie turned it out in that lipsycn
Bob was fucking great. It helps that him and Thorgy obviously had the best part to shine with
With all the added content they put up online for this show I wish they would put up like ten minutes of the work room tasks. I know its not project runway, but it was one of my biggest complaints last season.
the mini challenge at the start was fucking hilarious too

all in all another great episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom