• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rupaul's Drag Race Season 8 [OT] No Tea, No Shade, No Pink Lemonade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for thought:

- Thorgy Thor is amazing. Warm personality, incredible lipsync skills, and her style seems very eccentric. I think her arc is going to be very interesting, assuming they don't BenDelacreme her and create a fan uproar.

- Chi Chi is one of my favorites, that Cajun charm is lovely and she's definitely a smart one. Not to mention her performance yesterday was CRAAAAAZY. Good luck to anyone who has to lipsync against her.

- Acid Betty makes me want to hate her and largely I do, but she's not a one trick pony. This bitch has some incredible skills. Even her salsa dancing was surprisingly good. I keep trying to label her as a mid-season out but now I dunno.

- WHO'S COMING NEXT WEEK?? I do have a feeling that it's not going to be a standard returning queen ala Naysha, but I also don't see someone like Skarlet Starlet coming in. Seems too unfair. My money's on a red herring here tbh.

- Cynthia Lee Fontaine is exactly the same cocktail of confusion on television as she is in real life. Bless <3

- I'm betting Bob The Drag Queen is winning next week, with Cynthia falling in the bottom 2 probably.

- As entertaining as Kim Chi is, I don't think she necessarily deserves to be top 3 while Acid Betty does. When I think of well-rounded queens I think Bob, Thorgy and Acid... Kim has one or two big strengths but her flaws are glaring.

Kanhir

I still find Cynthia intensely irritating, so a bottom 2 next episode would be super.

I'm divided on Kim. I feel like she's being carried at this point partly because of the aesthetic and partly because she's playing the reality TV game in a very savvy way. By setting herself up as the timid underdog, she's creating the kind of "coming out of her shell" storyline that the producers love.
(Of course, that could just be Kim playing it straight and not intentionally playing the system. No way of knowing at this point.)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I can't see Kim lasting a long time if she can't dance
unless she is a great actor or something

MrV4ltor

I can't see Kim lasting a long time if she can't dance
unless she is a great actor or something

Well, when is she ever going to have to dance again on the show? She's made it past the choreo challenge now, unless their doing a second one like Prancing Queens last season.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Well, when is she ever going to have to dance again on the show? She's made it past the choreo challenge now, unless their doing a second one like Prancing Queens last season.

She may not have to dance much in the show, but if she ever fucks up a challenge if she can't dance in a lipsynch when the other queens are throwing backflips and deathdrops left right and center it will hurt her

though bianca couldn't dance for shit really and she did fine

guess it depends on how the challeges come through

Haxan

Banned

Even if there isn't another challenge that requires dancing (unlikely), she still has to walk the runway every episode, and she doesn't seem to be much better at that.

MrV4ltor

Even if there isn't another challenge that requires dancing (unlikely), she still has to walk the runway every episode, and she doesn't seem to be much better at that.

They're not gonna detract points for her walk tho lmao
The stuff that counts is how well you do in the main challenge and the runway look.

- Thorgy Thor is amazing. Warm personality, incredible lipsync skills, and her style seems very eccentric. I think her arc is going to be very interesting, assuming they don't BenDelacreme her and create a fan uproar.
Thorgy has Miss Congeniality written all over. Katya and Dela step aside.

Haxan

Banned
They're not gonna detract points for her walk tho lmao
The stuff that counts is how well you do in the main challenge and the runway look.

I dunno. I think it should definitely be held against her. I'd think it's one of the most basic things you have to get right to be a success at this. At least I can count on Michelle keeping track of this, since it's already on her radar.

MrV4ltor

I dunno. I think it should definitely be held against her. I'd think it's one of the most basic things you have to get right to be a success at this. At least I can count on Michelle keeping track of this, since it's already on her radar.

Gurl, not every queen has to be a model. I don't see it being a big deal unless there's a "Walk like a fucking model or you'll be eliminated" challenge. And Ru/the producers make all the decisions, not Michelle. Michelle and Ru even disagreed in Episode 1 about wanting to see more or less Britney in Derrick.

Kanhir

Gurl, not every queen has to be a model. I don't see it being a big deal unless there's a "Walk like a fucking model or you'll be eliminated" challenge. And Ru/the producers make all the decisions, not Michelle. Michelle and Ru even disagreed in Episode 1 about wanting to see more or less Britney in Derrick.

Every episode for 7 and a half seasons has required being able to walk a runway. I feel like this is one of those things, along with sewing and basic dance steps, that every queen should have some level of basic proficiency with before they arrive.

Haxan

Banned

I guess you're right. If they let Adore get away with something as glaring as wearing the same dumpster-quality wigs repeatedly, Ru's probably willing to let the awful walk slide.

okno

Every episode for 7 and a half seasons has required being able to walk a runway. I feel like this is one of those things, along with sewing and basic dance steps, that every queen should have some level of basic proficiency with before they arrive.

100% agree. It's drag. The ability to walk in heels is kind of a requisite to be respected. You don't need to walk like a model, but you need to be able to walk without looking like someone with pins in their knees.

Edit: Adore got clocked for her wigs and on so many other things (dress lengths, hello), and they were all basic things every drag queen should be able to do. Kim's walk will hurt her overall scores, but it's not going to be something to send her home.

MrV4ltor

Those are challenges, walking the runway isn't.

Shizuka

When RuPaul announce
"the one and only"
during the Sneak Peek, you know it's not Naysha. I truly believe it'll be a S7 queen.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
My "meh" Queens all got booted. As far as the other categories go, I'd upgrade Thorgy, Acid, and Chi Chi and downgrade Kim. I love her, but make up and fashion can only take you so far. Forget about lipsyncing and dancing, a basic catwalk in heels should be a prerequisite.

As far entertainment value goes, this season has already eclipsed S7. The cast is simply much more fun to watch.

With that scale in mind, and not quality of drag, here's my ranking:
Great: Bob and Kim
Good: Cynthia, Thorgy, Betty (Major Villain)
Okay: Chi Chi, Noami, Robbie (confessionals), Derrick (Minor Villain)
Meh: the Queen that got booted, Leila(?), Exclamation

As far as drag goes, the only ones I'm excited to see what they'll do next is Kim and Betty. But there's still potential in here.

Haxan

Banned
My "meh" Queens all got booted. As far as the other categories go, I'd upgrade Thorgy, Acid, and Chi Chi and downgrade Kim. I love her, but make up and fashion can only take you so far. Forget about lipsyncing and dancing, a basic catwalk in heels should be a prerequisite.

This is exactly what I did. I really warmed up to Chi Chi after the last episode. I still have Bob in my top tier, but I need her to give me something more soon.

I'm not even going to try to rationalize why I'm loving Betty's brand of assholishness at the moment. It's the sort of thing that might get old after a few episodes, though.

MrV4ltor

I was pretty sure that Chi Chi would be a filler queen and make it about halfway before the season started, but I'm really impressed by her now that she's actually showing off her capabilities. I could see her going as far as top 5 tbh.

Yado

I thought Cynthia would annoy me but I find her amusing. When she said her heart fell through her coocoo and Acid Berry
KuGsj.gif

Also, Robbie can go.

MrV4ltor

I thought Cynthia would annoy me but I find her amusing. When she said her heart fell through her coocoo and Acid Berry
KuGsj.gif

Also, Robbie can go.

Acid Berry is kind of iconic. The fact that they had to explain it to her multiple times before she understood it. I was cackling the whole time.
Also, is it just me or is Untucked also a lot better this season than last? I liked the new format when they first switched, but it was kind of boring because the queens weren't doing shit. This bunch just seems so much more lively and hungry for the crown than last season.

Matt_

Robbie can indeed do one
but given the amount of confessional time hes getting I imagine hes sticking around

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Also, is it just me or is Untucked also a lot better this season than last? I liked the new format when they first switched, but it was kind of boring because the queens weren't doing shit.
That's what I've been saying!! This really confirmed that the new format wasn't the issue with S7, it was that God awful cast. Beautiful for sure, but as entertaining as a brick. Or a tire. Or something shapeless and flavorless. God I hated S7.

I don't know if it's because season 7 was the off season, but this felt like a breath of fresh air and classic episode. it wasn't just the shade between Chi Chi and Acid, Thorgy was everything, we got some good work room stuff, I even enjoyed the lipsync performance and these type of challenges last season I often skipped through (the airline one springs to mind) because they felt so long and boring - definately one of the best episodes for a long time. I'm glad Chi Chi didn't crumble under Bitter Bettty's need to be leader.

Deserved double elimination. All I think about Laila is her in the MTQs, she looked like this cool trashy biker chick and on the show she was just season 3's Phoenix doing bad Sharon Needles drag. And I don't want this to sound nasty, but something about Dax's face bothers me -maybe it was just nerves but did we ever see her smiling, naturally? She to me was Milan 2.0 with a dash of Saharah Davenport in that shitty lipsync.

Also, how did I not notice before how tall Kim Chi is. She looked a brick shithouse in the lipsync number but pulled it off. I'm with Michelle though, I think she's a look queen so hasn't had to work on her performance skills, but I think they will let it fly and she will get far, deservedly, because of how endearing she is.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hope the queen is Jasmine Masters just to see her get eaten alive by this group.

It would be a waste and it seems kinda clear she doesn't want to do much with the show with how she talks in the youtube vids.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
All I think about Laila is her in the MTQs, she looked like this cool trashy biker chick and on the show she was just season 3's Phoenix doing bad Sharon Needles drag. And I don't want this to sound nasty, but something about Dax's face bothers me -maybe it was just nerves but did we ever see her smiling, naturally? She to me was Milan 2.0 with a dash of Saharah Davenport in that shitty lipsync.
Holy shit this is spot on lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom