• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

If it is true that Putin is in bad health it would give the people a Russia a better chance to get back to normal if he dies and the next to take over claim they had no choice to follow orders and sanctions would be lifted faster. Concessions would have to be made though and I hope the world would agree to disable most countries nuclear weapons. You will never get countries like the USA and Russia to get rid of 100% of their weapons as they are a deterrent to North Korea and China but the idea that Both the USA and Russia have enough weapons to blow up the entire world 10x over is overkill.

Buggy Loop

Wow. He's in bad shape. It'll be interesting to see how power changes hands in Russia at the end of his inevitable decline.

Probably Lewy Body Parkinson/dementia.
If it’s that, he can literally hallucinate a world where he’s winning…

If he’s not killed internally and they let him go down the rabbit hole, god knows how fucked the situation can escalate to.

He looks like he’s on borrowed time

Hes just doing
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Yoboman

Gold Member
Yeah.. What to say.. Anyway, I'm also sad to see some of my favorite youtubers go full conspiracy as well. Like Jimmy Dore :( Here he's clearly suggesting that Bucha didn't happen, and it's Ukrainian and American (?) propaganda. I couldn't watch the whole video because it quickly made me nauseous. So if there's something I missed, please let me know:

On a lighter note: My wife's mother have been on a relatively crazy three day travel with a smuggler-bus from the middle of a Russia occupied city, south to Crimea, then a long bus ride West through Crimea to Georgia, and then through Georgia to Tiblis. From there she took a flight to Germany this morning, and now she's in Norway :) My wife has been looking like she has some weight lifted from her shoulders, been tough for her this shit. There's a lot of family and friends left in Ukraine, but at least it's one less major worry.

Jimmy Dore went full conspiracy nut job awhile ago with covid

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I still don't understand why putrid allow the killing of civilians, there is literally nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Because, literally, Russians don't believe "ukrainian" is a thing, there's only "russian". So people claiming they're "ukrainian" must be russified, which means sending some adults to reeducating camps, genocide the rest and have the kids adopted by russians so they grow up russian. Any form of media depicting so-called "ukrainian culture" cannot exist and so must be removed. At its heart this is a campaign of cultural genocide/ethnicide.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is, unfortunately, the way Russia likes to do war. A campaign of terror designed to destroy the will of the opponent.

The problem this time around for them is that modern media allows us to see the crimes being committed.

I hope no one is still labouring under the misapprehension that these atrocities are anything other than the deliberate tactics of Putin and his army.
But that's a big fucking problem, not something that you can ignore.

I mean, i get what you say, i was just trying to understand his point of view and what benefits he can have by doing that, not sure how creating terror (not sure how much tho when his army has been the laughing stock of the entire world and farmers are not afraid to steal your tanks) surpass all the negative sanctions, terrible public image, long lasting economic aspects, pushing everyone and their mother to gift weapons to ukraine etc.

How can he be so fucking stupid in 2022, does he really think that everyone drinks his cool aid? I refuse to believe that living up to russian brutal past is more important to him than actually winning ths fucking war, it reads like a twirling mustache villain from a videogame that just want to be evil and has no logic whatsoever.

Hard to believe but i'm more impressed by russian stupidity than their brutality at this point...

Maybe i'm just too naive.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member

He looks like he’s on borrowed time

A Director at my workplace has something like that, especially noticeable at the end of a long day. We were hoping it was a sign he'd die soon but he's still kicking and it's been 5 years.

Guy is as old as Putin is but seems to want to work until he's dead, like a lot of Boomers who got into these roles with a highschool diploma and are raking in 6 figures in cushy jobs and roles.

Putin may be on a decline but it could last awhile.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

According to minusrus.com they have lost about half of the orcs originally destined to the special operation, so I can see them getting worried about running out of bodies.

Tams

A Director at my workplace has something like that, especially noticeable at the end of a long day. We were hoping it was a sign he'd die soon but he's still kicking and it's been 5 years.

Guy is as old as Putin is but seems to want to work until he's dead, like a lot of Boomers who got into these roles with a highschool diploma and are raking in 6 figures in cushy jobs and roles.

Putin may be on a decline but it could last awhile.
Yeah, I once worked at a school with a principal who literally looked like a corpse. He'd shuffle and limped around, and the black bags under his eyes were the worst I've ever seen. He was an absolute piece of work. Treated staff like utter shit, keeping them at school until up to midnight sometimes just because. Pretty much every year they had to move him to another school.

Thankfully I wasn't directly hired, so he had to be at least act nice to me.

The worst part is that another principal, who was lovely and caring, just died in her sleep one night. She had no outward health issues.

It really does seem spite keeps people alive longer.

But that said, Putin's a leader of a kleptocracy, which is inherently corrupt. Sure, there's a personality cult snd some who will do anything for him. But there are many who have always been and will be plotting against him. Now that he's weak, they'll be considering their options. The nature of the system of 'governance' in Russia means that they are also greedy and seeking power.

FunkMiller

Scholz now refusing to send heavy weapons, because he doesn’t want to risk nuclear war… even though other countries are now sending heavy weapons, and there’s no nuclear war.

Marine Le Pen now paying back a loan from a Russian bank, thus funding the Russian war effort.

Both France and Germany apparently circumvented EU sanctions to sell Russia arms after the invasion of Crimea.

Seriously…. bang up job France and Germany.

daily show slow clap GIF

UK and its dumbass obsession with Brexit starting to not look as bad, by recent comparison.

Last edited:

iamblades

The Howitzers are a game changer
Even better:

Even if they aren't the newest HIMARS systems, this will enable Ukraine to field the precision strike missile, which with 500 km range, will enable to reach deep behind enemy lines to take out priority targets. I'm sure it's primarily intended for counter battery fire for the Russian grads that keep kiling civilians, but throwing in a few dozen PrSM rocket pods into the logistics mix to enable Ukraine to hit SAM sites and munitions dumps deep in Russian territory would make a huge difference.

If each MLRS battery had half a dozen of these missiles, no where in Russian controlled ukraine would be unreachable.

FunkMiller

Even better:

Even if they aren't the newest HIMARS systems, this will enable Ukraine to field the precision strike missile, which with 500 km range, will enable to reach deep behind enemy lines to take out priority targets. I'm sure it's primarily intended for counter battery fire for the Russian grads that keep kiling civilians, but throwing in a few dozen PrSM rocket pods into the logistics mix to enable Ukraine to hit SAM sites and munitions dumps deep in Russian territory would make a huge difference.

If each MLRS battery had half a dozen of these missiles, no where in Russian controlled ukraine would be unreachable.

What’s even better is that there’s zero chance the Russian forces will be told that the Ukrainians are going to have this kind of weaponry. The first they are going to know about it is when they get blown to fucking pieces, and that warms my heart no end.

I expect there will be a growing number of desertions among Russian troops once word eventually does get round about how we’re arming their enemy to the fucking teeth.

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
Scholz now refusing to send heavy weapons, because he doesn’t want to risk nuclear war… even though other countries are now sending heavy weapons, and there’s no nuclear war.

Marine Le Pen now paying back a loan from a Russian bank, thus funding the Russian war effort.

Both France and Germany apparently circumvented EU sanctions to sell Russia arms after the invasion of Crimea.

Seriously…. bang up job France and Germany.

daily show slow clap GIF

UK and its dumbass obsession with Brexit starting to not look as bad, by recent comparison.

Never assume you can't be more disappointed by France and Germany when it comes to Russia - cause they will. I love how it's a sudden surprise by some what's happened - they basically are a rebranded GDR. But hey - I'm just someone with an axe grind - but hey, if they can lecture so can I.

Even better:

Real question is if they got https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur. Precision guided artillery. Expensive, but a few salvos of that it could clear out a huge % of Russia's artillery before they realize it. Switch blades will be good here too, but taking out those guns will leave Russia without much ability to hold ground or move forward.

Batiman

Banned
Has Ukraine been able to attack Russia at all since this started? Have they even attempted offensive attacks on Russian soil? I know of the warship and think there was another strike I heard about. I’m not sure? Haven’t been following too much and not sure if that would even make sense in their situation since they’re the ones being invaded. Excuse my ignorance

akimbo009

Gold Member
Oh shit... it's worse. Here's the article about Scholz's denial of transferring heavy weapons...

The money quote:

“I said very early on that we must do everything possible to avoid a direct military confrontation between NATO and a highly armed superpower like Russia, a nuclear power,” Scholz told German weekly Der Spiegel in an interview published Friday, adding that he would continue to strive “to prevent an escalation that would lead to a third world war.”

In bold, he actually called Russia a "superpower". Bruh. If anything, these past 50+ days have told us that's just not factual. And Russia's not going to nuke anyone because of an arms transfer. This war is hot, but never has happened in other hot wars via proxy. What an idiot.

Braag

Oh shit... it's worse. Here's the article about Scholz's denial of transferring heavy weapons...

The money quote:

In bold, he actually called Russia a "superpower". Bruh. If anything, these past 50+ days have told us that's just not factual. And Russia's not going to nuke anyone because of an arms transfer. This war is hot, but never has happened in other hot wars via proxy. What an idiot.
Scholz sounds like such a little bitch. Yeah let's just let Russia do whatever the damn they want.

FunkMiller

The money quote:

Starting to find it hard to be believe that Germany (at least it’s ruling class) is not actually in support of Russia to a certain extent. They certainly seem to be in awe of them. There is no good reason for Scholz to say giving Ukraine heavy weapons would lead to nuclear war, because the rest of us are already doing it, and that hasn’t happened.

At what point does the world start to seriously think Germany is in favour of a Russian victory quickly, so they can continue to send them their blood money and get their precious gas, so their economy doesn’t take a hit?

Might be the hate boner talking, but I’m fucking disgusted with Germany. The one country I would have hoped would have actually stood squarely against war atrocities ahead of any other nation. Instead, they are cravenly sat at the back, more concerned with their fucking bank accounts than Ukrainian lives.

Last edited:

The Russian chemical plant fire is a really big deal​

renderTimingPixel.png

mobile.twitter.com/Spoona...

It seems this is due to be the only chemical plant in Ruzzia, Some interesting parts:

The extreme damage, perhaps total destruction of this chemical plant is going to have a spectacular and massive impact on the #RussianArmy. Possibly grinding entire systems to a stop in weeks, perhaps even days.

Like many industrial sectors in #Russia, they tend to be centralized, massive + singular. This is generally a result of historic centralization of production under the Soviet model, and a fear of building massive high-cost infrastructure by nonRU firms #BASF #DuPont etc.

It took 18+ months of global fill-in sourcing for US firms to stabilize post Midland Floods and US Production still has not fully recovered. #RussiaSanctions will prevent them from doing the same. I am certain in every corner of #Russian industry is in full panic.

Happy Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

Top Bottom