• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Georgians React To MASSIVE Russian Immigration to Georgia​

renderTimingPixel.png

youtu.be/o8Xp_H...

It was interesting to watch.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Would love this to be another major counter offensive in response to Putin’s annexation announcement.
It is actually happening - there's a few other locations they have already push towards. Could be just testing the lines, but you know... When you're cutting through butter it's hard to stop.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This isn't something I'd expect the Russians to admit. It sounds a little off.

What with Kadyrov talking about the use of low-yield nukes. I wouldn't put it past the Russians to blast their own - after saying that they had withdrawn for the families back home.
NATO has spoken: They'll send troops into Ukraine if that happens, and it could lead to an escalation threatening the existence of ruzzia.

Last edited:

Darius87

at this point i think it would be easier for russians to fight against regime rather ukrainian army, they just need half million people equiped with molotows and bricks in moscow square near duma and it would be over for putler.

ItsGreat

at this point i think it would be easier for russians to fight against regime rather ukrainian army, they just need half million people equiped with molotows and bricks in moscow square near duma and it would be over for putler.

I think there could be a small amount of the old 'he might be a son of bitch, but he's our son of bitch' style thinking going on.

There's still a lot of dangerous weapon type stuff floating around in Russia that needs to be in 'safe hands'.

The CIA will have to have someone they can 'trust'

sinnergy

They won’t do that , you can’t expect anything like that from the Russian population. Sadly .

TwinB242

I am hoping to see more offenses from Ukraine on other fonts. The idea of Ukraine trampling through what is now supposedly 'Russian territory' in multiple spots at once would be hilarious.

Last edited:

ItsGreat

I am hoping to see more offenses from Ukraine on other fonts. The idea of Ukraine trampling through what is now supposedly 'Russian territory' in multiple spots at once would be hilarious.

It would be amazing if Ukraine could put Russia in its place. Knock it down more than a peg or two.

But I don't want to see what happens when push comes to shove from the Russians.

It would be amazing if Ukraine could put Russia in its place. Knock it down more than a peg or two.

But I don't want to see what happens when push comes to shove from the Russians.

It's already come to shove. It's why Putin rushed through the annexation despite not actually having control of those territories.

Last edited:

Susurrus

How can one country generate all this coo-coo crazy shit for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If this was a movie, I'd stop watching it because it was way WAY over the top.

He said "old world" in that video, so he clearly wants to wipe out Russia.

IDK for sure, but unfortunately it appears it was an aircraft overshooting the runway (ignore the title, it's most likely not correct):

Anyway:

So they're taking themselves out. Saves Ukrainian troops some effort.

akimbo009

Gold Member

When you combine this with wounded + those taken prisoners, Russia might have very well lost upwards of 3-4K soldiers during this one battle. Crazy.

It really is shocking. In general, at least for me, if I hear of a skirmish Americans are in and 5-10 soliders die it's a big shocking deal. While Russia isn't at the same level militarily there was some assumptions they were more modern and death rates similar to the US would be seen - not 500 a day or 3k in a single battle. These are huge, emotionally scarring casualty numbers. If the US lost even half these numbers it'd be earth shattering.... But for Russia it's just another day.

iamblades

They won’t do that , you can’t expect anything like that from the Russian population. Sadly .

That's the thing I don't get about the internal politics of Russia.

It seems like Putin has an iron grip on power and can do whatever he wants, yet from the very start he has been trying to run this whole operation on the cheap to not ruffle any feathers.

First it was going in with a skeleton crew when any competent military commander could have seen that an operation at the scale of Russia's initial ambitions needed at least a million troops, not ~150k combat troops. Then there is the delaying mobilization until past the point it can realistically do the most good(as he's already deployed the trainers who would be needed to actually maker a mobilization successful). Then there is the whole refusing to call a spade a spade and actually declare a war. What is the benefit of the 'special military operation' farce at this point?

I don't get it at all, is he really this strategically inept or is there some line that he is justifiably afraid of crossing that explains why he refuses to do what needs to be done(from his strategic point of view anyway). I mean if his only goal is to eliminate ethnic minorities from the hinterlands of Russia, what he is doing would make some sense. If he had any plans on actually achieving any of his stated strategic goals, feeding a bunch of ethnic minorities and the lower classes into the meat grinder isn't going to accomplish any of them.

Who is he so afraid of pissing off that he is refusing to impose any real costs on the Russian population for the war.

Last edited:
That's the thing I don't get about the internal politics of Russia.

It seems like Putin has an iron grip on power and can do whatever he wants, yet from the very start he has been trying to run this whole operation on the cheap to not ruffle any feathers.

First it was going in with a skeleton crew when any competent military commander could have seen that an operation at the scale of Russia's initial ambitions needed at least a million troops, not ~150k combat troops. Then there is the delaying mobilization until past the point it can realistically do the most good(as he's already deployed the trainers who would be needed to actually maker a mobilization successful). Then there is the whole refusing to call a spade a spade and actually declare a war. What is the benefit of the 'special military operation' farce at this point?

I don't get it at all, is he really this strategically inept or is there some line that he is justifiably afraid of crossing that explains why he refuses to do what needs to be done(from his strategic point of view anyway). I mean if his only goal is to eliminate ethnic minorities from the hinterlands of Russia, what he is doing would make some sense. If he had any plans on actually achieving any of his stated strategic goals, feeding a bunch of ethnic minorities and the lower classes into the meat grinder isn't going to accomplish any of them.

Who is he so afraid of pissing off that he is refusing to impose any real costs on the Russian population for the war.

First Putler is no strategist, only a mob placed in a high position due to corruption. The war cost money, sanctions everywhere, and isolated Russia. Now if he wants things too late, it could cost billions and their country is running out of money.

He wanted to be a hero, remembered by generations as the one who recovered part of the USSR. His own military lied to him because giving him a "are you stupid" wasn't going to cut it. (there was an article about that).

He does not have a future, it is a matter of time before this ends for him, but the issue is "how it ends for the rest".

"why he refuses to do what needs to be done(from his strategic point of view anyway)"

Which army? He only has idiots, corrupt people who are "yes man". For him to go with a "Full mobilization", it could take time (who knows how many months "someone mentioned for a tank crew it can take around 5 months of training") to get them ready, the training, getting equipment, getting ammunition and he does not have any of that, and much more difficult at this point in the war.

Everything is bad, tampons? women's pads? food that has to be delivered by their families? not getting even a rifle? (since the Ruzzian army does not have that many). Hell, a group was given only bullets. This is a mess he is going to lose one way or another.

MrA

When you combine this with wounded + those taken prisoners, Russia might have very well lost upwards of 3-4K soldiers during this one battle. Crazy.

Why can't they just surrender? (Rhetorical question asked in frustration, all it aimed at Putin/Russian leadership)
I know a lot here just say kill me all, but we're the good guys, we value life, mercy is a virtue, and I don't enjoy hearing about all these deaths, makes me sick that putin and Russia value their own sons so little.
I know that Russian crimes are grotesque, but the Ukrainians need to show them how men behave, take prisoners treat them humanely. Give fair trials to those accused of crimes. I see posts calling for immediate punishment, willing total annihilation. Guys let's not let the Russians barbarism whip us into a cruel frenzy, we're better than that. The Ukrainians are better than that. Everyone can change, there are monsters in everyone's past don't go back there and at the same time hope that the Russian can leave that in the past.
Now don't get me wrong, if Russia and Russians force the Ukrainians to kill every single Russian soldier in their boarders to achieve total restoration of Ukrainian boarder, I place 0 blame on the Ukrainians, but I'm not going to revel in it.
(Oligarchs or Russian leadership being accidented to death, thats different, they made a deal with the devil and got burnt, thats still a laugh)

Tams

Why can't they just surrender? (Rhetorical question asked in frustration, all it aimed at Putin/Russian leadership)
I know a lot here just say kill me all, but we're the good guys, we value life, mercy is a virtue, and I don't enjoy hearing about all these deaths, makes me sick that putin and Russia value their own sons so little.
I know that Russian crimes are grotesque, but the Ukrainians need to show them how men behave, take prisoners treat them humanely. Give fair trials to those accused of crimes. I see posts calling for immediate punishment, willing total annihilation. Guys let's not let the Russians barbarism whip us into a cruel frenzy, we're better than that. The Ukrainians are better than that. Everyone can change, there are monsters in everyone's past don't go back there and at the same time hope that the Russian can leave that in the past.
Now don't get me wrong, if Russia and Russians force the Ukrainians to kill every single Russian soldier in their boarders to achieve total restoration of Ukrainian boarder, I place 0 blame on the Ukrainians, but I'm not going to revel in it.
(Oligarchs or Russian leadership being accidented to death, thats different, they made a deal with the devil and got burnt, thats still a laugh)

What makes you think that the Ukrainians aren't taking POWs? It's literally been in the news about Lyman.

But you can't expect the Ukrainians to risk their own lives for it. If it's safe to take POWs, then yes, they absolutely should. But that empathy can and is very easily abused. And if there is a choice between rendering medical aid to a Ukrainian or a Russian, then the Ukrainian should take precedence.

Not that it's necessarily easy to surrender. You either need to sneak out (risky, as both sides will shoot at you), or most of your unit need to agree to surrender and then not get attacked by your own side. Somehow, you need to get into view of the enemy, clearly abandon your weapons and ideally get on the ground face down with your hands on your head.

Ironbunny

Edit: Watching these opinions really makes you think a decade is not enough to make things better. Everything is backwards.

"We've always been very honest and decent. Its a ruZZian trait"....jfc.

Last edited:

MrA

What makes you think that the Ukrainians aren't taking POWs? It's literally been in the news about Lyman.

But you can't expect the Ukrainians to risk their own lives for it. If it's safe to take POWs, then yes, they absolutely should. But that empathy can and is very easily abused. And if there is a choice between rendering medical aid to a Ukrainian or a Russian, then the Ukrainian should take precedence.

Not that it's necessarily easy to surrender. You either need to sneak out (risky, as both sides will shoot at you), or most of your unit need to agree to surrender and then not get attacked by your own side. Somehow, you need to get into view of the enemy, clearly abandon your weapons and ideally get on the ground face down with your hands on your head.

I don't doubt the Ukrainians are taking pows, they are,thats not what I was posting about. I'm finding the low surrender rate by Russians mind boggling, but some of the posters here that are actually suggesting not to give a chance to surrender, or mistreating pows, or the madness of kill every Russian like those people need to step back and remember its important that responding to cruelty with cruelty only perpetuates itself and nothing demonstrates strength like mercy and magnanimity.

I don't doubt the Ukrainians are taking pows, they are,thats not what I was posting about. I'm finding the low surrender rate by Russians mind boggling, but some of the posters here that are actually suggesting not to give a chance to surrender, or mistreating pows, or the madness of kill every Russian like those people need to step back and remember its important that responding to cruelty with cruelty only perpetuates itself and nothing demonstrates strength like mercy and magnanimity.

It's simple, they do not know better. They believe if they surrender they will have their balls cut off (they do it to Ukraine prisoners, not the other way around) talk about projection. Then if they surrender, their dear leader will place them in jail (was it 10 years?), then run or anything similar "shoot by their commander" or the goat fuckers of Kadirov.

Should I feel bad they do not do it? No, sorry but they are pretty much "chanting genocide", raping women/children, or taking them to be brainwashed. Those in the army could have at any time said "fuck this shit" and die freeing their country of the corrupt leaders, but you see them going as meat shields. Even then, there could be fewer Russians dead by now if they did it before.

When it started, they were happy and proud they were fighting their "imaginary enemy", now that they are forced to go to the real war, they are leaving like rats, because they are not against the war or killing people, but because they have to fight the war themselves.

Ironbunny

"The Putins returned to Leningrad. They carried a 20-year-old washing machine given to them by their former neighbors and a sum of money in U.S. dollars, sufficient to buy the best Soviet-made car available. This was all they had to show for four and a half years of living abroad—and for Vladimir Putin's unconsummated spy career. The four of them would be returning to the smaller of the two rooms in the elder Putins' apartment."

https://www.newsweek.com/portrait-young-vladimir-putin-65739

akimbo009

Gold Member

If you're daughter or mother got raped while your brother or father watched I don't think you'd be so magnanimous. Or if your best friend got blown up by a missile while in a van in a civilian convoy leaving the war zone... Or your brother having his balls cut off while being tortured while in POW custody.

Mercy demands context, and justice. Let Ukraine kill until they have the context to provide mercy - not a second less.

akimbo009

Gold Member

Also, you only have sympathy for the orcs when they are losing... Where did the sympathy for the actual victims here - the Ukrainians. When they are dropping thermite and conducting indiscriminate bombing on cities... My points been made, but it's insane to me people suddenly what peace and mercy when the criminals finally get what was coming.

Edit: oh, yeah, dead bodies in this video - mostly Ukrainians.

Last edited:

Mokus

"The Putins returned to Leningrad. They carried a 20-year-old washing machine given to them by their former neighbors and a sum of money in U.S. dollars, sufficient to buy the best Soviet-made car available. This was all they had to show for four and a half years of living abroad—and for Vladimir Putin's unconsummated spy career. The four of them would be returning to the smaller of the two rooms in the elder Putins' apartment."

https://www.newsweek.com/portrait-young-vladimir-putin-65739

True orc chieftain.

Top Bottom