• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

sinnergy

That might be what actually happened lol
Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder
Doesn’t matter .. why are there even firings near the border with Poland from Russia .. it’s provocation first class.

sobaka770

Banned
Doesn’t matter .. why are there even firings near the border with Poland from Russia .. it’s provocation first class.

The bombings were on power stations across all Ukraine, some are close to border. Not the first time as well.
However, the shelling is not "on the border" that missile was severely off-target.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting.. Zelensky is saying he is 100% sure this is not their rocket...
well then. Now this gets complicated. He can't say that really...
He also said that he demands his investigators there to collect proof if it was their rocket... oh boy

winjer

Gold Member
Zelensky doesn't have much reason to lie on the origin of the rocket.
Even if it's Ukrainian, everyone understands that things can go wrong in a war. And that Ukraine didn't launch it on purpose against Poland.
If it's Ukrainian, then all that Zelensky has to do is apologize to the Polish people. Most people would understand.

AJUMP23

Even if it's Ukrainian, everyone understands that things can go wrong in a war. And that Ukraine didn't launch it on purpose against Poland.
If it's Ukrainian, then all that Zelensky has to do is apologize to the Polish people. Most people would understand.
Except the people that were killed they would have a hard time understanding.

AJUMP23

To launch and hit Poland is launching in the wrong direction. They have either a misunderstanding of the targeting system or someone is malicious.

winjer

Gold Member
Poland is further away than your own launch platform.

my assumption is a launch with mixed up coordinates.

I was not suggesting this Ukrainian S300 had the same issue as the missile system in the video.
Just that they have issues that might have caused this incident.

Liljagare

Looking at the pictures of the wreckage though, and comparing, the only part that matches anything is the

Iskander-M Iskander SS-26 Stone 9K720 9M72 9P78-1.​

But, that would have to had been launched from far closer than the Russian controlled areas. That picture of a part of the exhaust manifold does not match S300/400 or any derivative...

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think you are settings up coordinates for S-rockets, seems like they are radar guided, which also could mean so hacking from Russia possibly?

After all they know these systems well.

Liljagare

Interesting.. Zelensky is saying he is 100% sure this is not their rocket...
well then. Now this gets complicated. He can't say that really...
He also said that he demands his investigators there to collect proof if it was their rocket... oh boy
Perfectly understandable as the few pictures posted of the wreckage doesn't really fit the S300/400 systems, nor any derivatives.

Not a expert, just a nerd that have every system from the V1 onward in my collection in 1/48.. :p

Finding it a bit strange that alot of pictures of the wreckage seem to have been scrubbed though. Try to find a picture now, almost impossible.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I agree apologising and paying compensation to victim families seems like the most painless thing to do. But it’s war, there is propaganda on both sides, which makes people do stupid things. He is also afraid how the Russians will use his admission for their own purposes.

JayK47

I'd like to know where every US penny is going in the Ukraine. Otherwise it is just the largest money laundering scheme in history. This war will never end. Too much money being made.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'd like to know where every US penny is going in the Ukraine. Otherwise it is just the largest money laundering scheme in history. This war will never end. Too much money being made.
They are not sending money right?
They are sending equipement.
Isn't it like super expensive?

Tams

You ask for proof, yet provide none for your own accusations.

Sort your own house out first.

And we damn well know that if you were provided with an account for 'every penny' that you wouldn't check it in detail. I bet you wouldn't even bother downloading it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned

They do not send money. They send military equipment, they use the money to pay US agents to provide services for Ukraine, they send munitions. Russia has been successful in making people believe the US just cuts checks to Ukraine and everything gets stolen.

akimbo009

Gold Member
To launch and hit Poland is launching in the wrong direction. They have either a misunderstanding of the targeting system or someone is malicious.

Ukraine isn't malicious, and would have zero to gain by blowing up a random farm in Poland. The suggestion here is absurd. And yes, targeting systems can go awry in pursuit. In the end, this is Russia's fault cause if they didn't shoot missiles at targets close to the Poland border (or anywhere, for that matter) then Ukraine wouldn't be having to defend itself.

Besides, the Poland president and NATO have already laid the the reasoning for this at Russia's feet.

Putin calls for price controls as Russian car sales crash to record low​

yahoo.com/financ...

I wonder why?

The four-door passenger car will no longer feature airbags, anti-lock braking systems, electronic stability control, or emergency retraction locks on seat belts, NBC reported.

Surprised GIF by ION

AJUMP23

Ukraine isn't malicious, and would have zero to gain by blowing up a random farm in Poland. The suggestion here is absurd. And yes, targeting systems can go awry in pursuit. In the end, this is Russia's fault cause if they didn't shoot missiles at targets close to the Poland border (or anywhere, for that matter) then Ukraine wouldn't be having to defend itself.

Besides, the Poland president and NATO have already laid the the reasoning for this at Russia's feet.
I did not say Ukraine was Malicious, I said "someone" could be acting maliciously.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I did not say Ukraine was Malicious, I said "someone" could be acting maliciously.
Well... who is that "someone"? Usually you don't put something in quotes if you have obvious intent with a comment. In this case it could just about be anyone.... Russia... NATO... US... Ukraine... who knows?...

AJUMP23

Well... who is that "someone"? Usually you don't put something in quotes if you have obvious intent with a comment. In this case it could just about be anyone.... Russia... NATO... US... Ukraine... who knows?...
In all likely hood it is just a person that entered wrong coordinates. I don’t know what missile system it was. Or what type of fire controls it has. I don’t think it was malicious but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Lasha

In all likely hood it is just a person that entered wrong coordinates. I don’t know what missile system it was. Or what type of fire controls it has. I don’t think it was malicious but it isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Why would you assume user error when you don't know the platform? Why would coordinates be relevant if the missile is an interceptor?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's a Russian made platform. In case you haven't noticed their military tech is uh....not performing great.

Its equally likely it's just a shit platform that malfunctioned.

Tams

Zelenskyy is doubling down on it not having been a Ukrainian missile as that's what his military commanders are telling him...

Sweep14

You don't enter coordinates on a SAM defense system. There is a guidance radar to automatically guide the missile towards the target

Zelenskyy is doubling down on it not having been a Ukrainian missile as that's what his military commanders are telling him...

I dont think we (the public) will get an admittance from either side, or any conclusion from 3rd party investigations, until well past this phase of the war

FunkMiller

Whether you know it or not, you’re spouting the same idiotic bullshit a lot of morons on social media are saying about the US’s contribution to the war. Spend some time reading verifiable and trustworthy sources… not just some fools on Twitter who either don’t understand what’s actually going on, or are actively seeking to undermine the war effort for their own political ends.

W11d

It is good that he trusts his military commanders so much. But even if they are right at this point it doesn't matter.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You know that money as in cash is really minority part of all of this? Most "money" is army HW, mostly older one, so your country can get new shit.

winjer

Gold Member

Wait until you find out that Russia received $11.3 billion from Lend Lease act, in 1914-1945 money. But only paid back f 674M, and return some equipment.
And the last payment was done in 2006. How about you tell Russians how much they owe the USA.
Chances are that without Lend-Lease, Russia would have fallen to Nazi Germany. But do you think Russians will ever show one bit of gratitude?

AJUMP23

You don't enter coordinates on a SAM defense system. There is a guidance radar to automatically guide the missile towards the target
I finally found an article that had the missile type. S-300 A missile designed to hit other missiles and many other airborne targets. I can see Ukraine trying to stop an incoming barrage with it, and it misses and lands in Poland. That is probably the scenario.

Lasha

Wait until you find out that Russia received $11.3 billion from Lend Lease act, in 1914-1945 money. But only paid back f 674M, and return some equipment.
And the last payment was done in 2006. How about you tell Russians how much they owe the USA.
Chances are that without Lend-Lease, Russia would have fallen to Nazi Germany. But do you think Russians will ever show one bit of gratitude?
Russia actively suppresses any US assistance during WWII. The Soviet education system taught that Russia was the sole reason that the allies won. The myth persists in much of the soviet world. My relatives in Georgia were shocked that I could show evidence that the US sent everything from food to planes to power the Soviet Army.
I finally found an article that had the missile type. S-300 A missile designed to hit other missiles and many other airborne targets. I can see Ukraine trying to stop an incoming barrage with it, and it misses and lands in Poland. That is probably the scenario.

SAM missiles are supposed to detonate if their target is missed. Safety checks don't always work on Russian equipment so the missile probably failed an interception and then crashed instead of self-destructing. That makes a good case for NATO supplying Ukraine with western made SAM. Particularly for installations anywhere near NATO borders.

ReBurn

Gold Member
In the first Superman movie they entered coordinates for the stolen cruise missiles on the missile launcher keypads to make them go where they wanted to so it was an understandable mistake.

AJUMP23

SAM missiles are supposed to detonate if their target is missed. Safety checks don't always work on Russian equipment so the missile probably failed an interception and then crashed instead of self-destructing. That makes a good case for NATO supplying Ukraine with western made SAM. Particularly for installations anywhere near NATO borders.

The US has shot down their own aircraft with SAM missiles, so mistakes happen.

Lunarorbit

You likely don't want to look at where all the tax money from Iraq and Afghanistan went. Or covid business loans. Or any of the contracts Reagan did in the 80s involving hammers or toilets.

winjer

Gold Member
Russia actively suppresses any US assistance during WWII. The Soviet education system taught that Russia was the sole reason that the allies won. The myth persists in much of the soviet world. My relatives in Georgia were shocked that I could show evidence that the US sent everything from food to planes to power the Soviet Army.

I forget the exact numbers, at at certain points, the US was supplying huge percentages of what the Russians needed.
Things like trucks, boots, airplane fuel, certain munitions, chemicals, etc.
Trucks and boots were essential to get the Russian army moving, especially considering that Russians were even more disorganized and had more logistic problems that the Wermacht.

Cyberpunkd

Trucks and boots were essential to get the Russian army moving, especially considering that Russians were even more disorganized and had more logistic problems that the Wermacht.
The OKH / Wermacht was incredibly organized, it was just Hitler that kept fucking things up and changing directives.

Top Bottom