• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

tommolb

Reports of another plane and helicopter being downed, making 2 planes and 2 helicopters in the last day. What's unclear if this is due to friendly fire or Ukrainian missiles.

Tams

Yeah, that's why I wrote "small".. But an additional front even against a small army would create a distraction for Ukraine's strategy elsewhere. ..Of course Ukraine already has a defense force there just in case, but still would be a waste of lives on both sides. I wouldn't like to see a single Ukrainian soldier dead in a fight against Belarus, thus like I wrote; I would like Lukashenko to stay alive - For now.

Yes, while a pain for Ukraine and their significant of dated number of tanks are artillery (if Russia hasn't nabbed a load already, lol), they only have around 16,500 personnel in their army.

Their paramilitary are much bigger, but given the protests there at the last 'election', few would be sent to fight.

Neff

But is there a chance that Russia blows up the UK?

No. We have enough nuclear-armed subs to retaliate and destroy Russia if it tried. So no.

Why would Russia blow up a country where billions of euros of Russian oligarchs are stored? You can be sure that both the oligarchs and the UK government want to go back to business as usual asap.

Also this.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Russian morale right now.

Not having fun fighting for Putins luxury yachts and dachas?
Wise choice.

Let's not forget. These are now 90% just normal people drafted from ethnic regions.
Real soldiers who wanted to be in the army are few and far between

Something just got blown up in Luhansk. 100 km from the front.

Many videos in the thread, lots of damage to that building.

Sounds like ammunition detonating in the background.

What beautiful day at that.... war is so stupid. Waste of lives, resources, fuel and global warming acceleration.
And yet there is nothing anyone can do. Putin can just do whatever he wants without repercussion

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
After more than 9 months trying to take Bahkmut and suffering staggering losses in the process, when they are about to finish the job they start bickering themselves about who gets the glory, lines of communication break due to the infighting and Ukraine swoops in and starts to retake ground.

This is beautiful.

Not saying this is true, but he has been complaining about Ruzzia for a while now. So I think it is highly likely its real and at the same time:

Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

sinnergy

After more than 9 months trying to take Bahkmut and suffering staggering losses in the process, when they are about to finish the job they start bickering themselves about who gets the glory, lines of communication break due to the infighting and Ukraine swoops in and starts to retake ground.

This is beautiful.
This is Russia 🤡

Gp1

Are fighter cockpits armored? I always thought that manufactures never bothered given the caliber of stuff hitting an aircraft.

From what i read, the only one that we can call "armored cockpit" is the A-10 and that's because of the "titanium bathtub". The front glass is resistant to small arms fire, but the glass canopy isn't.

Lasha

more like laminated rather than "armoured"

From what i read, the only one that we can call "armored cockpit" is the A-10 and that's because of the "titanium bathtub". The front glass is resistant to small arms fire, but the glass canopy isn't.

That's what I thought. The weight of an armorer canopy would be pointless for an aircraft dealing with bvr engagements and cannon fire.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Lot's of Pro-Russian shit on Twitter, rn. Something about Kiev. and the Patriot SAM System.
I want to get confirmation on the situation but, I kept reading shit from dumbasses who just want to cede the war to Russia.

Tams

Lot's of Pro-Russian shit on Twitter, rn. Something about Kiev. and the Patriot SAM System.
I want to get confirmation on the situation but, I kept reading shit from dumbasses who just want to cede the war to Russia.
Russia are claiming to have taken out a Patriot system.

It's possible, but according to them:
  • all the missiles hit their targets last night (despite video evidence of mid-air interceptions, and a zoo getting hit by debris)
  • they've taken out large numbers of HIMARS/M270s (more than have been sent)
  • etc., etc., of neverending bullshit.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Russia are claiming to have taken out a Patriot system.

It's possible, but according to them:
  • all the missiles hit their targets last night (despite video evidence of mid-air interceptions, and a zoo getting hit by debris)
  • they've taken out large numbers of HIMARS/M270s (more than have been sent)
  • etc., etc., of neverending bullshit.
They played the Advance Wars remake and figured out what would sound good to say

Apocryphon

With the UK sending Storm Shadow missiles and now kamikaze drones, France hinting at sending long range missiles, and constant talk about F16’s…

Does the UK not have mothballed GR4s? France appear to have Mirage 2000s in storage that are being/have been discussed. Surely ground attack aircraft like the Tornados would be perfect for taking out Russian armour and artillery? Germany and Italy still have them in active service.. so training aside, wouldn’t they be a better solution than F16s?

Tams

With the UK sending Storm Shadow missiles and now kamikaze drones, France hinting at sending long range missiles, and constant talk about F16’s…

Does the UK not have mothballed GR4s? France appear to have Mirage 2000s in storage that are being/have been discussed. Surely ground attack aircraft like the Tornados would be perfect for taking out Russian armour and artillery? Germany and Italy still have them in active service.. so training aside, wouldn’t they be a better solution than F16s?

The Tornado GR4s were worn to the bone and had been used in active combat intensively. The UK, with all her capabilities, was pushing it keeping them in service, especially after retiring the Harriers. Maintenance crews were pulling their hair out. The availability rate of them ended up quite poor towards the end. If I remember correctly, only 2 out of 5 tended to be available at RAF Akrotiri.

Germany still have some. But a) they need them and b) they are showing their age as well and have mechanical problems.

Airframes have a lifespan. For fighter jets, that's quite short, especially if they are used in active combat.

Last edited:

Gp1

Some say it was a NASAM battery others are saying it was a Patriot battery. Even if it did hit something, the amount of data collected would give tech nerds work for months.

Top Bottom