• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia is gearing up its support of Assad in Syria with Soldiers and Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

params7

Banned
I don't consider leaders that gass their own people "the lesser evil".

At some point the situation has deteriorated so much you can't just reinstate the previous status quo. Let's not forget that Assads regime is a big reason the situation is what is today.

The country needs stability, but Assad is not what will bring it long term.

I wasn't noticing a migrant crisis when Assad and Gadafi were in power, even though the populations were relatively free to travel around. I'm not sure how you can say Assad's government would be worse than the shitfest that will take place among FSA factions and ISIS once he is toppled. If you hadn't noticed, Libya is going to hell, and we all know Iraq might never be whole again as a country.

Assad was one of the reasons, but Western allies with Saudi Arabia fueled the civil war and now the makeup of FSA is unrecognizable. There's huge bands of foreign insurgents, including fucking ISIS. Its not their civil war anymore. Assad is essentially in a war with fighters bred outside of his own country.

The West should either go ALL in, topple Assad, topple the extreme regiments of FSA, spend the next couple of decades establishing a functioning democracy, or they should get the fuck out and stop inciting FSA. Let them fight their own fight.

There were never any moderates in the Syrian war other than Assad.

History will show that just like Libya, it was Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups who attacked Syria from outside - not some democratic uprising turned civil war. That was all bullshit spin by the West and its Arab allies. Sure, they mobilized some opposition groups inside Syria, but they always knew who was doing the real dirty work and which Arab countries were funding them.

You really only need to look at how they did the exact same thing in Libya. Trumped up charges against Gaddafi, terrorists doing all the real fighting against him, the country descending into anarchy after the terrorists took over, the so-called Transitional government really being just a bunch of puppets controlled by outside forces who could do nothing to stop the country from descending into chaos and becoming a terrorist safe haven.

This remains their exact plan for Syria - throw it into chaos and effectively destroy it as a viable ally of Iran/Russia.

Why would Russia let go of their influence within Syria? It's strategically important that Russia keep's their influence in the region.

Sijil

The refugee crisis is caused by Assad bombing civilians every single day. He's the one who has destroyed Syria.

ISIS are horrible people, but the refugees are from Assad, the civilian deaths are from Assad.

Tell that to over 50,000 Shia surrounded in villages like Nubl, Zahraa, Kefraya and Fouya where they live every day under heavy rocket and artillery strikes with food and medicine cut off from the so called rebels. That's more than 50,000 at risk of being slaughtered, but your one sided view doesn't pay attention to these details. Ever heard of the Hatla massacre?

Yeah I'm pretty sure all the Christians, Shia and other minorities are fleeing from fear of being beheaded by either ISIS or Nusra not Assad.

History will show that just like Libya, it was Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups who attacked Syria from outside - not some democratic uprising turned civil war. That was all bullshit spin by the West and its Arab allies. Sure, they mobilized some opposition groups inside Syria, but they always knew who was doing the real dirty work and which Arab countries were funding them.

You really only need to look at how they did the exact same thing in Libya. Trumped up charges against Gaddafi, terrorists doing all the real fighting against him, the country descending into anarchy after the terrorists took over, the so-called Transitional government really being just a bunch of puppets controlled by outside forces who could do nothing to stop the country from descending into chaos and becoming a terrorist safe haven.

This remains their exact plan for Syria - throw it into chaos and effectively destroy it as a viable ally of Iran/Russia.

Yes, those western puppets like... Amnesty International.

There is no one in the U.S. media talking about Assad right now so this must be the single worst propaganda campaign I've ever seen.

They're the Islamic front which encompasses multiple islamic groups such as sukour al sham, jund al sham who's main army is called Jaish al Fateh or army of conquerors. They're spearheaded by Nusra front which opened the way for the Idlib takeover, Nusra front is always spearheading every major offensive with many chechens in their ranks. FSA died a long time ago, even ambassador ford admitted as much.

Wrong. FSA is sometimes an Umbrella term to mean different groups with different ideologues. It also groups part of US and Jordan trained groups and Euphrates Volcano which are the FSA allies of the Kurds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivi...ic_guide_to_factions_in_the_syrian_civil_war/

Sijil

Wrong. FSA is sometimes an Umbrella term to mean different groups with different ideologues. It also groups part of US and Jordan trained groups and Euphrates Volcano which are the FSA allies of the Kurds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivi...ic_guide_to_factions_in_the_syrian_civil_war/

Aware of that, just FSA is meaningless on the ground and most of the offensives are spearheaded by the Islamist from the Jaish al Fateh, as seen from the Daraa and Idlib offensives. FSA just takes the glory in western media.

Y-Z

People in this thread are acting like Assad has no support left in his country. That's not the feeling i get when i read the news/blogs about syria.

After speaking to some Syrian refugees in my town (The Netherlands) i feel this is a great misconception. Offcourse it's annecdotal evidence but they were all pro-Assad because in their eyes he keeps the various religious groups live together in peace (before the war naturally). A quote one guy gave me was: If Assad falls, all Syria is lost.

He has done a lot of bad things but i really hope it won't become a new Iraq/Lybia thing in the end.

Sanjay

Syria is like the world from Witcher, any choice you make is bad and you just have to go with the lesser evil option.

All the human rights groups I follow that report on Assad's crimes against humanity are also saying that America is a fake Christian nation for not accepting more Syrian refugees.

I mean, if we're buying support, we're doing a real shitty job.

Aware of that, just FSA is meaningless on the ground and most of the offensives are spearheaded by the Islamist from the Jaish al Fateh, as seen from the Daraa and Idlib offensives. FSA just takes the glory in western media.

Apparently wasn't when you said FSA died . Also you are wrong again partially, in Daraa, Southern Front lead and they didn't even want JAN there. Idlib did have other participants regardless if they spearheaded or not.

People also seem to be forgetting that ISIS isn't just killing, they are trying to establish their own idea of Islam. Even if you aren't murdered by ISIS you are being forced into their way of thinking if they have taken control of a region/area you live in. ISIS is doing a lot more than pillaging. It is a caliphate whose form of idealogy driving itself most Muslims do not agree with and don't want to be part of. It's that which many are fleeing from as well.

Yes, those western puppets like... Amnesty International.

There is no one in the U.S. media talking about Assad right now so this must be the single worst propaganda campaign I've ever seen.

Amnesty International can be easily manipulated, and have often been accused of bias themselves.

You understand this better once you get a clearer understanding of the complexity of the plot against Syria, and how long they have been plotting against Assad - how they draw in NGOs, opposition groups, influential Syrians, think tanks, how they start mobilising sentiment against a leader - how they create dummy organisations to spread misinformation through the media. The powers that be are extremely good at this - they've been doing it for decades in countries where they want to affect regime change.

This is a very good article from three years ago that helps paint a picture of how Syria has been a target for quite some time, and how subtly and manipulatively they went about mobilizing opinion against Assad. Anyone even remotely interested in understanding how Syria got to be in the mess it is in now should read it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/12/syrian-opposition-doing-the-talking

Amnesty International can be easily manipulated, and have often been accused of bias themselves.

You understand this better once you get a clearer understanding of the complexity of the plot against Syria, and how long they have been plotting against Assad - how they draw in NGOs, opposition groups, influential Syrians, think tanks, how they start mobilising sentiment against a leader - how they create dummy organisations to spread misinformation through the media. The powers that be are extremely good at this - they've been doing it for decades in countries where they want to affect regime change.

This is a very good article from three years ago that helps paint a picture of how Syria has been a target for quite some time, and how subtly and manipulatively they went about mobilizing opinion against Assad. Anyone even remotely interested in understanding how Syria got to be in the mess it is in now should read it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/12/syrian-opposition-doing-the-talking

So.... Every humans rights organization is faking hundreds of thousands of deaths so that... Assad can be toppled... When that would be a huge blow to the Obama administration because it would probably lead to ISIS (the most irrationally feared actor in the United States since Ebola) taking over Syria?

There is literally zero reason for the Obama administration or the British government or these other actors to be faking information about Assad's war crimes.

Sijil

So.... Every humans rights organization is faking hundreds of thousands of deaths so that... Assad can be toppled... When that would be a huge blow to the Obama administration because it would probably lead to ISIS (the most irrationally feared actor in the United States since Ebola) taking over Syria?

There is literally zero reason for the Obama administration or the British government or these other actors to be faking information about Assad's war crimes.

They charged Omar al Bashir with war crimes then made those charges go away when he yielded south Sudan. International tribunals and courts are leverages in the hands of Western powers, no one puts Bush or Kissinger on trial.

They charged Omar al Bashir with war crimes then made those charges go away when he yielded south Sudan. International tribunals and courts are leverages in the hands of Western powers, no one puts Bush or Kissinger on trial.

Assad owns 16% of the land of a small nation.

Sijil

Apparently wasn't when you said FSA died . Also you are wrong again partially, in Daraa, Southern Front lead and they didn't even want JAN there. Idlib did have other participants regardless if they spearheaded or not.

I have relatives who are fighting in Syria, mostly in the Qalamoun regions, I lost two friends fighting in Aleppo next to Handarat, everyone comes back saying it's all JAN or ISIS, what people post on the internet with so called FSA emblems is irrelevant, even then the FSA itself was taken over by Saudi influence. Not a single group has non Sunni fighters against Assad.

Sijil

This will come as news to the ICC.

http://www.icc-cpi.int/en_menus/icc...uation icc 0205/Pages/situation icc-0205.aspx

He's still there as one of the people being charged.

Is he actively pursuited? He's attending international venues and conferences, he's recognized as the legitimate leader of Sudan. Charges against Bashir for all intents and purposes are meaningless, as opposed to the international pursuit of Serbian war criminals.

You'd think Bashir would've yielded south Sudan for free?

Assad owns 16% of the land of a small nation.

Relevance?

I have no doubt people are dying in Syria. The Assad regime are fighting for their lives against multiple foreign forces - where even the so-called moderates have been shown on camera cutting out organs and eating them. Do you remember what happened to Gaddafi? Taken out in the street, sodomised with a knife, and brutally murdered. That's what will likely happen to Assad to if he loses.

And the rise of ISIS does not seemed to have changed the West's position on Syria and Assad.

The plot against Syria predates Obama, by the way, though it seems to have remained oddly intact despite power changing hands from Republican to Democrat. Funny that.

You have not detailed a single reason for why the Obama administration would want to spread a massive amount of propaganda that would hurt Assad and therefore could help ISIS.

I have relatives who are fighting in Syria, mostly in the Qalamoun regions, I lost two friends fighting in Aleppo next to Handarat, everyone comes back saying it's all JAN or ISIS, what people post on the internet with so called FSA emblems is irrelevant, even then the FSA itself was taken over by Saudi influence. Not a single group has non Sunni fighters against Assad.

Well they are wrong when everyone is ISIL or JAN because not every single fighter single is part of them. Different groups of the opposition openly fought the JAN and are currently fighting ISIL in Northern Aleppo, near the Turkey border. I also said groups like Euphrates Volcano are part of FSA that are allied with the Kurds. So unless the Kurds are working with JAN, then it is false.

Saudi do have influence over parts of the rebellion, but so do Turkey, Jordan, the US, and perhaps some of other middle eastern countries. Israel assisted rebels near their border through meds and the US vetted groups as well.

It makes no sense to assume dozen of thousands of rebels are terrorists when plenty of them are army deserters and normal people( regardless of belief) are part of the rebellion and obviously they are a quite few foreign fighters too but who doesn't have foreign fighters among them?

EDITED_conflicts_graph-12.jpg

Some slight revisions and the addition of Russia is needed.

You have not detailed a single reason for why the Obama administration would want to spread a massive amount of propaganda that would hurt Assad and therefore could help ISIS.

And you remain fixated on the Obama administration when it's really not about them. Like I said, the plot against Syria predates them. It's not even just about America. There are multiple international players who have a vested interest in Assad's removal. Did you read the article I linked to?

You also don't seem to realise that, as the leader of an important Middle-Eastern nation and an ally of Iran and Russia, Assad is a much bigger fish than ISIS.

And you remain fixated on the Obama administration when it's really not about them. Like I said, the plot against Syria predates them. It's not even just about America. There are multiple international players who have a vested interest in Assad's removal. Did you read the article I linked to?

You also don't seem to realise that, as the leader of an important Middle-Eastern nation and an ally of Iran and Russia, Assad is a much bigger fish than ISIS.

Venezuela is a bigger fish to fry than ISIS by this logic and there is not a single human being in the United States who gives a shit about Venezuela.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

None.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member

You really should stop spreading your misinformation. I've lost many friends to this civil war, and to depict the original manifestations as something with ulterior motives is extremely disingenuous.

Also, that line about no moderates in Syria is the same propaganda bullshit Assad and co. have pushed along while he gassed his own people. Go take a long serious read about what happened in 2011 onwards if you want to gain some real perspective on what happened out there.

You really should stop spreading your misinformation. I've lost many friends to this civil war, and to depict the original manifestations as something with ulterior motives is extremely disingenuous.

Obviously the Christmas protests of 2011 were all false flag operations. Just like the Al-Assad regime firing into crowds of peaceful protesters with live ammo. Is he still calling everybody who dissents against him a "terrorist"? I haven't been keeping up with his mouthpiece in a while.

A note I'd like to add.

Just because a madman and his family keep "peace and stability" by straight up fucking murdering anybody who dissents, doesn't mean they should stay in power because the alternative may or may not be worse. That's a stupid as fuck reason to keep a monster like Bashar Al-Assad and his family in control.

Sijil

You have no idea what you're talking about.

None.

I remember when it first began, people were chanting "Christians to Beirut and Shiaa to the coffin", with graffiti on the walls saying "we're bringing slaughter to you nusayria (their derogatory word for Shia)" , in the first weeks the so called peaceful protesters burned down a police station with several officers inside in Daraa from what I recall.

I can't tell there weren't moderates at the start, I'm sure there were, but the sectarian tension was evident, built up from years of Iraqi Sunni/Shia conflict and fueled by Saudi anti Shia rhetoric in their media.

It's a shame, Sunnis and Shia used to get married, live next to each other as neighboors, you only see that in pro government areas these days.

And you remain fixated on the Obama administration when it's really not about them. Like I said, the plot against Syria predates them. It's not even just about America. There are multiple international players who have a vested interest in Assad's removal. Did you read the opinion piece I linked to?

Fixed that for you. It's not an article by The Guardian. I don't know why I would put a lot of trust in a comedian when it comes to international events.

Also, that line about no moderates in Syria is the same propaganda bullshit Assad and co. have pushed along while he gassed his own people. Go take a long serious read about what happened in 2011 onwards if you want to gain some real perspective on what happened out there.

It is precisely because I care about what happens to people in Syria that I feel obligated to shine a light on warmongering and manipulation by outside forces when I see it.

I'm not saying there weren't any well-meaning moderates mobilizing against Assad at first. But it must be clear to you how these people were ultimately used as the respectable front of a much more tangled web being woven here, involving multiple international players. Seeing the Syrian war as purely a civil war, in other words, simply isn't accurate and never was.

This is horseshit. You should be ashamed of spreading this filth in the face of 250,000 dead Syrians at the hand of Bashar Al Assad. Assad is a monster. His father was even a bigger monster. See how his dad Hafez quelled down the rebellion in the past. Son is just following the footprints.

I remember when it first began, people were chanting "Christians to Beirut and Shiaa to the coffin", with graffiti on the walls saying "we're bringing slaughter to you nusayria (their derogatory word for Shia), in the first weeks the so called peaceful protesters burned down a police station with several officers inside in Daraa from what I recall.

I can't tell there weren't moderates at the start, I'm sure there were, but the sectarian tension was evident, built up from years of Iraqi Sunni/Shia conflict and fueled by Saudi anti Shia rhetoric in their media.

It's a shame, Sunnis and Shia used to get married, live next to each other as neighboors, you only see that in pro government areas these days.

The Alawi ruling class being openly discriminatory obviously didn't and hasn't helped the tensions that have been bubbling under the surface since the Assad family came to power. Hama didn't happen by accident. Yes maybe Latakia and the coast are stable. But most of the FSA that remains in the Southern provinces and the highlands are build from moderates who defected from the regime or who took arms. They just don't get the notoriety, for obvious reasons. Al Nusra won the hearts and minds campaign, while the FSA proper like Hasam, Fursan al-Haq, and moderates from the National Coalition (and many many more factions) were too busy fighting, Al Nusra gave out bread and water and talked about the evils of the regime while ALSO spreading sectarian dissension and hatred of communists and other alternative radicalized parties. The west turning a blind eye to the rise of ISIL and Jabat Al Nusra are travesties, yes, but they are not the cause of the sectarian violence nor are the moderate or lesser radicalized factions gone and buried. Many regime defectors and army defectors still fight against both Assad and Al Nusra.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I remember when it first began, people were chanting "Christians to Beirut and Shiaa to the coffin", with graffiti on the walls saying "we're bringing slaughter to you nusayria (their derogatory word for Shia), in the first weeks the so called peaceful protesters burned down a police station with several officers inside in Daraa from what I recall.

This is right after Assad had been killing and murdering protesters - those words do not just materialize out of thin air.

This is right after Assad had been killing and murdering protesters - those words do not just materialize out of thin air.

They were also spread by people with a clear agenda in dividing the people of the country to take up more radicalized arms. Jabat Al Nusra is to blame for many of these things. Hatred and dissention against Shi'a and Alawites is easy to propagate when it seems as though the Alawi are using the Shi'a to bomb and kill your friends and family.

Fixed that for you. It's not an article by The Guardian. I don't know why I would put a lot of trust in a comedian when it comes to international events.

Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming a bit of a trend that truth only comes from comedians these days.

I know it must have been shocking to see actual investigative journalism in a Guardian news article, and so you must have immediately cottoned on to the fact that it wasn't coming from the usual sources.

Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming a bit of a trend that truth only comes from comedians these days.

I know it must have been shocking to see actual investigative journalism in a Guardian news article, and so you must have immediately cottoned on to the fact that it wasn't coming from the usual sources.

Go back to huffing chemtrails, man.

I support whomever is least likely to want to disembowel me just for being a non muslim. Assad it is.

Don't worry, Assad won't disembowel you for being a non-muslim, but he may or may not throw you, your family or friends into one of his 27 known prisons/torture chambers where instead you'll be starved, beaten, have your eyes gouged out and then strangled.

Don't worry, Assad won't disembowel you for being a non-muslim, but he may or may not through you, your family or friends into one of his 27 known prisons/torture chambers where instead you'll be starved, beaten, have your eyes gouged out and then strangled.

He'll also kill your friends, your family, your acquaintances, pretty much anybody even tangentially related to you. Just to make sure there's no dissension at all.

chadskin

To recap:
Amnesty International = easily manipulated and biased
Comedians = last bastion of truth and investigative journalism

Talk about bias.

norinrad

The west and everyone else would be much more comfortable with Assad (yes unfortunately) in charge of Syria than ISIS. I doubt anyone wants another safe haven for terrorists like what happened in Afghanistan.

+1 for Vladimir and Russia

ibyea

Banned
The west and everyone else would be much more comfortable with Assad (yes unfortunately) in charge of Syria than ISIS. I doubt anyone wants another safe haven for terrorists like what happened in Afghanistan.

+1 for Vladimir and Russia

Um, Assad created the conditions which made this possible in the first place. Like before, in the short term he will keep things stable. In the long term, this will happen again. It happened in the Hama revolt, it is happening now, and future wars will come out with this family in charge. Of course, I don't know how this conundrum should be solved, the situation seems impossible. But Assad is not a long term solution.

pants

I'm conflicted. On the one hand I want ISIS to fuck off from this planet, but on the other I dont want more countries getting involved and escalating and prolonging this conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom