• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia: most depressing place on Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalebbqf.jpg

Commander Lou Donnelly CPD: Since I figure cops are cops the world over, how do you Soviets deal with all the tension and stress?

2_redheat8aurh.png

Ivan Danko: Vodka.

Rad-

Moscow is a great place but only the inner city. If you leave the city by train or car, you notice how suddenly everything turns to shit.

Loxley

Threads like these always remind of the scene from Eurotrip where they accidentally end up in "Eastern Europe":

They come across a guy who says to them: "You know...it is good that you came here during the summer. In the winter it can get very depressing."

zonezeus

It's funny how Eastern Europe is probably the only place on Earth you can still openly talk shit about, since everybody else is under the cosy blanket of political correctness.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
That'd explain your perspective, but no you can't know everybody in a 100k let alone 500k city. :)

because I lived in small cities in different countries and I know how it is.

Also every time I visit a small city like Helsinki for example I feel like I'm home. If I visit any major city with population more 1 million I feel like it's another Moscow with a bit different flavour. Personal detachment, invisible walls, some unusually nervous people, more noise and annoying ads because you have to be loud to be heard in such environment. Even Stockholm, being as good city as it is, gave me the same feeling. But I can live in a big city, no problem with that.

szaromir

Banned
Also every time I visit a small city like Helsinki for example I feel like I'm home. If I visit any major city with population more 1 million I feel like it's another Moscow with a bit different flavour. Personal detachment, invisible walls, some unusually nervous people, more noise and annoying ads because you have to be loud to be heard in such environment. Even Stockholm, being as good city as it is, gave me the same feeling. But I can live in a big city, no problem with that.
I lived in Poznan (~600k, Poland), Hannover (~600k, Germany) and Brussels (~1.2M Belgium) and I think Brussels was my favorite one, cosmopolitan, lively and beautiful. Hannover can feel like a ghost town at times, but people are friendly there so I guess you'd like that one.
Noise and pollution was definitely the worst in Brussels, that's an unfortunate aspect of living in bigger cities.

oatmeal

Banned
No love for China? The country whose population is so high that people get killed on the streets and no one bats an eye?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I lived in Poznan (~600k, Poland), Hannover (~600k, Germany) and Brussels (~1.2M Belgium) and I think Brussels was my favorite one, cosmopolitan, lively and beautiful. Hannover can feel like a ghost town at times, but people are friendly there so I guess you'd like that one.
Hannover is basically a concrete desert. What a depressing place.

Hari Seldon

Don't think there is anything more sexy than a hot chick speaking English through a russian accent. I definitely want to visit Russia some day. But the majority of Africa I would never want to visit.

szaromir

Banned
Hannover is basically a concrete desert. What a depressing place.

That's not the impression I got when I lived there. Plenty of green areas. From German wikipedia:
Über 11 Prozent des etwa 200 Quadratkilometer großen Stadtgebietes sind öffentliche Grünflächen, weshalb Hannover auch als Großstadt im Grünen bezeichnet wird. Der zentrumsnahe Stadtwald Eilenriede hat allein eine Größe von 650 Hektar.
I lived ~200m away from the awesome Herrenhauser Garten, there was also a big meadow next to my place.

The city is not exactly bursting with activity though, usually cities of that size seem much busier (which is kinda weird given the (rather strong) economics of the city).

Durask

Alcohol and drug abuse probably plays a big role in that life expectancy

According to official stats, Russia consumes about 20% of the world's heroin supply which is kinda insane considering that their population is only 138 million. They must be shooting up like crazy over there.

leroidys

how come there's no memorable modern russian music?

... what?

I see no one here has been to St. Petersburg.

Um Saint Petersburg? That city is fuck awesome.

St. Petersburg is pretty fucking depressing if you get outside of the 2 square miles of the old city or tsarskoe selo, petergof, etc. Even some areas around downtown are pretty horrible.

pGOCah.jpg

9Zukzh.jpg

1YIcUh.jpg

70GvMh.jpg

This is what most of the city looks like.

Petersburg is awesome for other reasons though, but I think it's bad for the city to try and advertise it as some Russian Venice. It is not a modern western European city in any way.

Russia is depressing. But there's good things that go with it too. The population that grew up during Soviet times tends to be extremely well educated. You can engage almost anyone about society or art or literature. It is the most well read country in the world. Its artistic and musical traditions are among the best in the world.

Alcoholism, drug abuse, health care are very bad. Also, driving is extremely dangerous compared to the west or the U.S. Kidnappings are much higher. The mafia is extremely dangerous, and the police can be as well. OMEN and the FSB are everywhere. In these ways its very shitty, but mainly it is just different then the west. Certainly life seems much more real in Russia than America, if not as comfortable.

OddSpoon

Banned
At least they know how to protest correctly. Not this pussy shit that goes on here in the states.

Occupy Wallstreet, what a mess.

apana

It's funny how Eastern Europe is probably the only place on Earth you can still openly talk shit about, since everybody else is under the cosy blanket of political correctness.

Yeah cause nobody talks shit about China, Mexico, The Middle East, Pakistan, and the USA. It's all political correctness and the good name of Eastern Europe has to bear the burden of constant attack.

nope.....nope nope nope nope nope...not gonna watch more krokodil stuff...shit ruined my entire week...fuck that. no no no no no

Einhander

It looks to be a music video of a Russian pop group called Serebro. The song is titled "Mama Luba." I like the singing.

Dr.Acula

Banned
lol, reminds me of this article I was just reading:

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201011/alexander-ovechkin-nhl-washington-capitals?printable=true

"If you compare Russia and America," [Ovechkin] explains sagely, "they are two different worlds. People, cars, clothes. Girls' figures. Especially girls' figures. Why do you think that is, that when an American goes to Russia for a week, he stays for two extra weeks? Girls! And when a Russian goes to America for a week, he leaves in five days. I'm serious! There's a statistic! Ask any American about Russia. You know what they'll say."

Duder" said:
If you compare Russia and America," [Ovechkin] explains sagely, "they are two different worlds. People, cars, clothes. Girls' figures. Especially girls' figures. Why do you think that is, that when an American goes to Russia for a week, he stays for two extra weeks? Girls! And when a Russian goes to America for a week, he leaves in five days. I'm serious! There's a statistic! Ask any American about Russia. You know what they'll say."]

With very few exceptions, all the posts in this thread about Russia have more or less been how much of a hell hole it was.

I personally wouldn't care how good the pussy is. I don't want to catch Krokodil tears.

How real is this whole thing about narco terrorism and people using drugs to destabilize Russia?

Paranoidal patriotism. It makes people say funny things.
Or guy just to mention ALQuaeda, so it will be more interesting for American people.

Russia is very racist country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom