• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia: most depressing place on Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
It's definately not on my toplist for countries to go too, but there are worse countries, in every aspect including depressiveness.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Whatever happened with Russia banning emo kids? They were nervous it would encourage depression and suicide. Was that even real or just a made up story?

some idiot initiative which remained an initiative. It was like... I don't know... like some people in America who would try to stamp out evolution theory from textbooks. I mean there are people who would like to do this but in reality it's impossible for them to do.

GCX

Russia is an amazing country, as are the Eastern European countries I've visited. Any country you can portray in a negative light if you try, or accept that most 1st world countries are pretty similar these days.
Maybe if you've only visited St. Petersburg or Moscow.

I've lived a few miles from the Russian border in Finland. There were two small towns on each side of the border and believe me, the difference between standard of living, infrastructure, etc. was quite sad.

Keio

For a Finer World

I've lived a few miles from the Russian border in Finland. There were two small towns on each side of the border and believe me, the difference between standard of living, infrastructure, etc. was quite sad.

The old Karelia region is definitely suffering from the old Soviet policies, migration to Finland for the ethnic Inkeri people and lack of employment. But even Wyborg is getting better; the whole country has now a rising middle-class. Rural poor will be an issue, but again the same goes for a lot of 1st world countries. Not that I want to be a Russia apologist, but the "hell on earth" thing is, well, so stupid.

subversus

small towns differ much. It depends on a mayor, a city manager, a community and what industries are there. It also depends on a region strongly. The difference could be night and day, so you can't judge the whole country by visiting a couple of cities. I mean if we were talking about Austria this could be the case, but we talk about the largest country in the world.

GCX

The old Karelia region is definitely suffering from the old Soviet policies, migration to Finland for the ethnic Inkeri people and lack of employment. But even Wyborg is getting better; the whole country has now a rising middle-class. Rural poor will be an issue, but again the same goes for a lot of 1st world countries. Not that I want to be a Russia apologist, but the "hell on earth" thing is, well, so stupid.
Yeah, I visited Wyborg last summer and it's starting to look a lot better. Russia is slowly moving forward (if we exclude those new anti-gay law bills), I'm not denying that. I just think on many levels it's not "like any 1st world country" yet.

small towns differ much. It depends on a mayor, a city manager, a community and what industries are there. It also depends on a region strongly. The difference could be night and day, so you can't judge the whole country by visiting a couple of cities. I mean if we were talking about Austria this could be the case, but we talk about the largest country in the world.
I know the differences are huge in Russia. I've been in the poor towns of the Karelia region but I've also seen the super rich people in St. Petersburg. My view is limited but I think it shows some signs of the country as a whole that the differences are so extreme.

subversus

I know the differences are huge in Russia. I've been in the poor towns of the Karelia region but I've also seen the super rich people in St. Petersburg. My view is limited but I think it shows some signs of the country as a whole that the differences are so extreme.

it's not just a difference between a big city and a small one. Small cities can differ a lot.

GCX

it's not just a difference between a big city and a small one. Small cities can differ a lot.
Yeah, I know that, I said my view is limited. I'm sure there are many really great towns in Russia, it's just a bit alarming that from my experience the differences between people's standard of living are quite enormous. The middle-class is rising but it's not happening overnight.

subversus

Is Detroit this bad? Can someone point me where I can see pics of its current state? I mean real pics, not some dilapidated areas.

Truant

My sister visited a family living in some generic coal town, but they had to leave early cause two of the babies in the family died when they were there.

So yeah.

subversus

My sister visited a family living in some generic coal town, but they had to leave early cause two of the babies in the family died when they were there.

Coal towns are horrible, yeah. Very bad ecology. Same goes for any industrial town with some chemical plant which serves as the sole source of income for the city.

I literally saw a man get ran over by a car and the driver kept going

er... what?

CoilShot

Coal towns are horrible, yeah. Very bad ecology. Same goes for any industrial town with some chemical plant which serves as the sole source of income for the city.

er... what?
Yes. It was shocking to say the least. Not to mention other stuff like the resturant I went to being bulletproof.

Retarded people like these people here are easy to find in most countries.
In my country fans of Feyenoord and Ajax did the same. One died. People brought weapons too.
Guys was killed with a hammer i believe.

subversus

Yes. It was shocking to say the least. Not to mention other stuff like the resturant I went to being bulletproof.

sounds like something from "Escape from New York".

What the hell happened there??? I mean I know that the car industry has been on decline but what you have described sounds extreme.

ToxicAdam

Is Detroit this bad? Can someone point me where I can see pics of its current state? I mean real pics, not some dilapidated areas.

Detroit is well worthy of it's reputation. It's not just some internet meme. Miles and miles of ghetto neighborhoods. Thousands and thousands of abandoned buildings.

What has happened in Detroit is nothing you can't find in many other industrial U.S. cities. It's just the scale of that decay that is profound and unusual. It's really just a victim of it's past success. Too much growth and nothing left there to sustain it.

CoilShot

Detroit is well worthy of it's reputation. It's not just some internet meme. Miles and miles of ghetto neighborhoods. Thousands and thousands of abandoned buildings.

What has happened in Detroit is nothing you can't find in many other industrial U.S. cities. It's just the scale of that decay that is profound. It's really just a victim of it's past success. To much growth and nothing keft there to sustain it.
This. There are tons of boarded up buildings still up there till this day. Its really a scary place.

subversus

So I guess people just left and only those who were too broke to move/didn't find a job in another state stayed?

Gotta love anti-Russian Americans living in their fantasy worlds.

I mean seriously? Try North Korea, Liberia or some polluted violation of human rights piece of shit town in China. Russia has tons of beautiful nature and fairly good quality of life.

maharg

idspispopd

After watching a couple of videos on it a while ago I decided to just load up google streetview and wander around. Looked pretty much as bad as you'd expect from the talk. Right downtown seems ok, but the ring of burned out shittiness around it is truly vast.

Afaik, race riots, white flight, and then the decline of the auto industry is pretty much what did it in. All those things just coalesced into the perfect suburban doughnut that most cities have become to some degree or another, except far far worse.

Just in the last 10 years, Detroit's core population *declined* by 25%. And before that, between the 1950s and 2000, it had already declined from about 2 million to 1 million people.

7aged

Russia is paradise compared to the hell hole I come from:
saudi_arabia_pol_2003.jpg

Red

It's actually not that shitty I agree. Beautiful state for the most part. It's just boring for most people who look for the big city scene.
I grew up in Queens, and moved to Ohio with my family years ago. Now I am stranded here with no money or future. There is no way out.

@LazyJones: it's not like Ohio is home to various human rights violations or anything like that. Comparing it to Somalia or similar places is silly, but it does promote its own particular kind of depression. You've got a few scattered nice areas like Avon Lake, then miles and miles of rural hell and collapsed industry.

It is full of a whole lot of nothing.

I imagine there are plenty of other places in the US which mirror this, but Ohio is an easy state to pick on.

Hey. I am from Russia!
Well, i suppose it sucks, but things will get better after Revolution.
There is no freedom here. FSB listenin my phone calls. Though, i was not arrested for more than 8 hours, so im lucky.

GhaleonQ

The rural parts, especially as you go toward the center (the east coast is actually pretty awesome; Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii is especially cool), are rough, but the people that aren't suicidal or criminal are incredibly nice, funny, and hardworkng.

And even the Detroit-esque urban parts are far more interesting than Detroit. That's what happens when you're a world power with a fascinating history. I'll put Peterburg, weird as it is, against city in the world.

That said, yep, generally awful. Russia's good at everything but politics, unfortunately, so the country's been eaten alive.

how come there's no memorable modern russian music?

There is. A lot of it. Are you talking about art/classical or popular/new?

Winterpalast_zwei_seiten2.JPG

St. Petersburg...ah...the city of Tolstoy, Gogol, Dostoevsky...must be amazing to visit.

Er, didn't the former and latter despise almost of all of it?

Wickwire

I dont know about Russia but the most depressing place I have been to was the czech republic. Anywhere outside of prague was miserable.

Petersburg is not so much about Dostoevsky, Its just kool place to hang out, unlike Moscow. And weed is much cheaper there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom