• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia: most depressing place on Earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM

Dont you be talking shit about my country. Yeah things arent as pretty as they should be, but we have nice scenery, remnants of castles, and there has been a great deal of counstruction to modernize the cities. People fall into debt and the only way of that situation is suicide, hence those numbers, and other factors of course.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Sandusky has Cedar Point though, which is a huge high point, and probably the most worthwhile thing in the state.

Until you hear about how Cedar Point keeps most of its workers in squalor and gets away with it because it hired Eastern European immigrants who are there because they were lied to how much money they would be making...I so I guess you could say Ohio is slightly better than Eastern Europe?

It's a great place to stage video games. Also reminds me of
TApFu.jpg

pje122

I really want to know what she's going on about in these videos. Maybe she's been kidnapped and we don't even know it?! Maybe she managed to upload all 100+ videos as a way to seek help? maybe...

She's paranoid/schizophrenic...

D6AMIA6N

I think so. Every crazy video I've seen comes from Russia: snuff, street fights, murders, etc. It's like the combination of bitter cold and vodka creates this ominous depression that permeates every inch of life in the country. Not to mention the decrepit, abandoned warehouses scattered everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg5x5Eo43hw&feature=player_embedded

Have you ever been? I haven't, but I do have a good friend who lives in Moscow. Based on what he's told me it sounds different, of course, but definitely not the "most depressing place on Earth".

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Not to derail the thread but how is Missouri as a state? I played BFBC a lot with a man who lived there.

maxxpower

As a Mexican who lived in Mexico for ten years, whenever I go back(I've only gone back like once in the past seven years), I find it(Mexico) really depressing.

CSX

Doesnt Russia have a national sex holiday?

I guess they need to turn it into a month long holiday

Not to derail the thread but how is Missouri as a state? I played BFBC a lot with a man who lived there.

My dad's family lives in Missouri. It's like a Bible belt state (or maybe it is in the Bible Belt...) but with tornadoes. Lots of small towns, Christian Conservatives, obesity, and not a lot of particularly great scenery. Not sure why it's being singled out though, because the surrounding states are really no different. St. Louis is in Missouri, though, which I've only been to once at night as I was on my way to California and the only two impressions that I really had were that it was the absolute most humid place I have ever been and that the arch was pretty cool. But really... dat humidity. I got out of my car for about ten minutes to take some pictures of the arch and when I got back in my clothes were actually soggy. It was unreal.

Missouri's social conservatism kind of shocks me when I visit (i have family there) and I live in the south. It's mostly boring nothing to do towns with some occasional cool wilderness areas here and there, a few good wineries too

how much of that is arable land?

many of the places in Russia i would love to visit are hundreds of miles away from arable land. and the cities near western europe, which are close to arable land, are worth visiting as well. does being able to grow canola or flax correlate with how depressing a place is? as as person from the canadian prairies, I can answer that question: no.

many of the places in Russia i would love to visit are hundreds of miles away from arable land. and the cities near western europe, which are close to arable land, are worth visiting as well. does being able to grow canola or flax correlate with how depressing a place is? as as person from the canadian prairies, I can answer that question: no.

I'm just saying that if most of the country is a frozen wasteland there's not much point in it being the biggest country on earth, i'm not saying arable land has any correlation with how depressing a place is (a quick look at the countries with the most arable land will dispell any notion of that)

What can you expect from a country that had one of the world's famous revolutions in which people demanded freedom and equality which resulted in one of the most broken, punishing, and at one point most brutal political systems ever created. Having that suffering being rewarded by becoming one of the two major world superpowers. Then to have a revolution that resulted in that being erased, and now being in a dictatorship that makes Hugo Chavez cream his pants just thinking about it, and an plutonomy that has the Koch Brothers hiding the Russian flag under their refrigerator to occasionally take out fondle with like a blowup doll.

Also isn't Russia racist as fuck? Like Alabama pre 1960's racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom