• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why Russia would blame the Turkish govt for this when it seems like this was someone acting on their in in regards to Syria (maybe not even a Turkish citizen)?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
After Turkey shot down that Russian jet last year and now this I think that just about ends Russian/Turkish relations for the next decade or five.

Turkey and Russia romance won't be affected because of it. Putin won't give a fuck. The problem will be the scapegoat they will put the blame on.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can someone explain the implications here? I know nothing of Turkey and Russia's relationship.

• Turkey hates Assad and would want him gone. Erdogan has been quietly supporting ISIS.
  • Russia supports Assad. Russia has no love lost for Turkey, being a NATO member and all that.
  • Turkey downed a Russian jet a while ago in complicated circumstances. Russia has been in a rather foul mood towards Turkey since then.
  • Turkey and Russia have been seemingly mending fences for a few months, although it's difficult to ascertain how sincere have been in their respective approaches.
  • Turkey has not been very friendly towards NATO as of late due to Erdogan being a tool and poisoning the well shortly after its own counter-coup.
  • As far as we know, this could be the work of:

a) ISIS.
b) Some other rebels (maybe even a common enemy), which would imply a different fallout depending on the group.
c) Some other actor masquerading themselves. Even more uncertainty awaits.

People should probably hold on to their butts and remain as calm as they can until we have more information and Russia and/or Turkey react.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Mom back in Turkey sent this. He looks dead.

photo19-12-2016162945ldkga.jpg

Higher quality picture

C0DVZ3DWEAAIyfO.jpg:large

Bodyguard on the right is apparently the shooter

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Even if NATO dissolved instead of coming to the aid of Turkey, Russia would go bankrupt trying to hold it if they did invade. It'd be Afghanistan Part 2 for them.

Unless they just practiced indiscriminate genocide anyway but that wouldn't go over well internationally.

JohnsonUT

Turkey and Russia romance won't be affected because of it. Putin won't give a fuck. The problem will be the scapegoat they will put the blame on.

Will they agree on the scapegoat though? Turkey will want to blame the Kurds. Russia will want to blame Syrian rebels.

Quirah

Another detail from CNN Turk TV channel: he yelled like "We are dying in Aleppo, you will die here." before shoot.

Joni

Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself. I honestly believe Russia can't afford a war but what do I know.

It is also important although cruel to remark but Archduke Ferdinand was also a lot more important than an ambassador. He was the heir to the throne of one the superpowers back then.

Maxim726X

Even if NATO dissolved instead of coming to the aid of Turkey, Russia would go bankrupt trying to hold it if they did invade. It'd be Afghanistan Part 2 for them.

Unless they just practiced indiscriminate genocide anyway but that wouldn't go over well internationally.

Well, luckily for them the incoming POTUS isn't going to intervene in any way.

Velcro Fly

Yeah I definitely feel like whatever group they both really hate is going to be blamed and attacked for this.

JP_

Banned
Details like what was said or how it happened are often wrong this early, so it might be wise to take some of the smaller details with a grain of salt for now.

Tbh my bet was on the Chechen dissidents paying back for Russia murdering their figureheads in Turkey: Have Russian hitmen been killing with impunity in Turkey? - BBC News. But that's apparently not the case.

After Turkey shot down that Russian jet last year and now this I think that just about ends Russian/Turkish relations for the next decade or five.

Probably not.

Russia, Turkey and Iran will meet to discuss Syria in a week or so. Erdogan will probably use this to steer popular opinion (anger) away from Aleppo.

JohnsonUT

Is this a big deal because of the NATO alliance?

What's the "for dummies" version here

It will probably not be a big deal for international relations unless Russia or Turkey want to make it a big deal. It will be exploited within Turkey and within Russia to come down harder on whichever marginalized group is blamed.

Praying people keep their heads level and stay calm...

I'm laying over in Turkey next week for a few days, it will probably be fine but I'm wondering if I should redirect my trip. First world problems but I'm just questioning how wise it is right now as things are volatile.

they shot an ambassador, not Putin. And unlike 1914, most European countries generally don't want to start a war

Putin likes to swing his dick around at every opportunity though. Who knows what repercussions will unfold.

I think it's more likely it will be an excuse for another Turkish purge, but the mind does wander.

qcf x2

they shot an ambassador, not Putin. And unlike 1914, most European countries generally don't want to start a war

While I agree that comparisons are being made far too hastily, Ferdinand is not comparable to Putin and I think your second statement would've been more valid like 5-10 years ago.

It's not time to go full doom and gloom, but the skies are darkening.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 20s20 seconds ago
BREAKING: Private NTV news channel reports Turkish police have fatally shot gunman who attacked Russian ambassador.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom