• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher quality picture

C0DVZ3DWEAAIyfO.jpg:large

Bodyguard on the right is apparently the shooter
That looks eerily like the the No Russian mission. Fucking crazy.

sphagnum

Banned
If in some crazy way this tied back to the Turkish government, which I don't believe it will, and it did result in a war between Turkey and Russia, wouldn't NATO not be obligated to get involved? I thought the charter stated that the NATO member couldn't be the one to start things.

This is the type of shit that can be taken as an act of war to people like Putin and Trump. People who jump to conclusions and are looking for a fight.

Even if it was a lone-wolf psycho-fuck with their own personal agenda.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing will happen. If you get assigned ambassador to Turkey you are real low on the totem pole.

Not really sure how that works, Turkey being a powerplayer in the region and a NATO member with some serious beef against Assad.

We aren't talking about San Marino here.

I thought Erdogan said Friendship with Obama ended, Putin is best friend now just a few weeks ago. I doubt he will do anything drastic.

kazegami

This is the result of AKP's hate campaign against Russia.

Fuck Turkey, fuck this country, full of hatred. I don't want to live here anymore.

Before the 'tut, tut, Russia' stuff gets too loud and begins to echo, remember that shit like this looks really bad on Turkey. Being unable to protect foreign diplomats is a serious, serious problem.

Kurtofan

kudos to the Turkish security forces for resolving the situation so fast though. really surprised this didn't devolve into hostage taking and the like

Violet_0

Banned
\I think your second statement would've been more valid like 5-10 years ago

don't think so. Europe is a bit of a powder keg because of the refugee crisis but absolutely no one but the most far-right knuckleheads would even consider a war with anyone, really. Turkey doesn't want a war. Russia's reaction remains to be seen, but I strongly doubt that they would take military actions against a freaking NATO member state because one of their ambassadors was assassinated by a Assad-opponent

Beartruck

This is bad, but Putin only picks fights that he knows he can win relatively painlessly. Hes not going to start swinging at Turkey.

bidguy

Banned
If in some crazy way this tied back to the Turkish government, which I don't believe it will, and it did result in a war between Turkey and Russia, wouldn't NATO not be obligated to get involved? I thought the charter stated that the NATO member couldn't be the one to start things.

you think turkish government sanctioned this ?
lone nutjob killed an ambassador, if russia attacks turkey for this nato will intervene

Yamauchi

Banned
Is this a big deal because of the NATO alliance?

What's the "for dummies" version here
Article 5 can be interpreted a variety of ways. Regardless, I don't think there will be a military response. Just my guess.

The problem is that Turkey's internal stabilities have reached this level. The rising tide of Islamo-nationalism -- stoked often by Erdogan -- cannot exist in parallel with policies and alliances that are nominally Western, nor can it abide the rising Kurdish nationalism in Turkey's southeast. Erdogan's Turkey is the kind of place that seems ascendant right up until it implodes.

Jumeira

Banned
This is the result of AKP's hate campaign against Russia.

Fuck Turkey, fuck this country, full of hatred. I don't want to live here anymore.

It's Russia involvement in Syria that's spilled into surrounding areas, not sure why your pointing the finger at Turkey. I mean, we in the West are being told similar narrative regarding Assad and Russia.

qcf x2

kudos to the Turkish security forces for resolving the situation so fast though. really surprised this didn't devolve into hostage taking and the like

I'm going to say the opposite, they should not have killed the guy. Disarm/disable/injure him but keep him alive for Q&A.

We live in some crazy times technologically, those pics are immediately haunting.

Quirah

VIDEO: http://nos.nl/video/2149213-russische-ambassadeur-neergeschoten.html

He yells Allahuakbar and other Arabic words first. Then "Don't forget Aleppo, don't forget Syria. You won't taste safety while Aleppo isn't in safe. Only death could apart me from here. Every people who has a part on that cruelty will explain that one by one." as a Turkish.

I think he is ISIS supporter. I mean, look at that sentence: "You won't taste safety while Aleppo isn't in safe"

This is bad, but Putin only picks fights that he knows he can win relatively painlessly. Hes not going to start swinging at Turkey.

Do you not remember the explosion that killed a bunch of Turkey air force pilots? It's in the same year.

People have such short memories.

That is some scary shit right there.

Like fucking why? What do you hope to achieve by killing an ambassador!?
Russia has razed East Aleppo to the ground. There was a video recently out of East Aleppo where it showed a doctor performing surgery on a child without anaesthetic because he did not have any, and the Turkish newscaster broke down and cried on air.
0.jpg

Syria is their neighbor and the things going on there has affected Turks deeply. Images coming out of Syria have shook the Turks to core. But shooting an ambassador is criminal. The shooter will be celebrated as a martyr in some circles.

Giganteus

Before the 'tut, tut, Russia' stuff gets too loud and begins to echo, remember that shit like this looks really bad on Turkey. Being unable to protect foreign diplomats is a serious, serious problem.
What I was going to say. Whether it's said publicly by Russia or not, this will be troubling for them. This is a pretty large screw up by Turkey and its authorities. It's in both of these country's interests to not get hostile toward one another, and they've been actively healing relations, but this doesn't help.

You could argue this is bigger than the Russian jet being shot down, but that doesn't necessarily mean the reaction will be harsher in this incident. We'll see.

No, GAF, this doesn't mean WWIII. Still, interesting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom