• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about this one?
33SuI4B.jpg
I wonder why the felt they need to kill the gunman. It looks like they easily could have just arrested him.

Torokil

December 31st, 2016 - "wow I'm sure glad 2016 is over, ready to move on"
January 1st, 2017 - Russia attacks nato state Turkey, kickstarting WWIII

Sijil

This is where Erdogan is given an excuse to abandon the rebels in Syria, especially in Idlib. and close Turkey's borders with Syria. For Putin and Erdogan this is an opportunity.

Steejee

This isn't gonna start a war people, stay reasonable. Comparing this to WW1 is ludicrous

Yeah I don't think this will start a war. Russia and Turkey will both try to use this to their advantage in some way (maybe Turkey will try to pin it on the Kurds), but the people in power enjoy that power too much to risk it on a war.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

Jarmel

Banned

Putin is going to wait till Trump is in office so he can attack Turkey without triggering an automatic NATO response.

Quirah

VIDEO: http://nos.nl/video/2149213-russische-ambassadeur-neergeschoten.html

He yells Allahuakbar and other Arabic words first. Then "Don't forget Aleppo, don't forget Syria. You won't taste safety while Aleppo isn't in safe. Only death could apart me from here. Every people who has a part on that cruelty will explain that one by one." as a Turkish.

I think he is ISIS supporter. I mean, look at that sentence: "You won't taste safety while Aleppo isn't in safe"

Added translation of what he says in Turkish.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that a radical was able to get a job as a bodyguard to an ambassador screams conspiracy to me.

Could have also just been dumb luck that he was a normal guard and just so happened to snap after Allepo.

Kurdel

Banned

Why would Russia attack Turkey? Do you even know what their relationship is?

If anything this will make Turkey even more Putin's
bitch.

The killer made what he hoped to achieve clear - revenge for Aleppo.

He represents Russia and sometimes that's all that matters. No different than terrorists attacking embassies.

Russia has razed East Aleppo to the ground. There was a video recently out of East Aleppo where it showed a doctor performing surgery on a child without anaesthetic because he did not have any, and the Turkish newscaster broke down and cried on air.

Syria is their neighbor and the things going on there has affected Turks deeply. Images coming out of Syria have shook the Turks to core. But shooting an ambassador is criminal. The shooter will be celebrated as a martyr in some circles.
Ahh I missed the part where he spoke of Aleppo. That explains it.

I understand what is happening over there is awful, but man what does killing a diplomat really achieve? Nothing. But like Rusty said some will hail him a martyr that is probably what he wanted.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Do people really think the consequences are going to be so severe as a result of this? I'm not hugely politically educated when it comes to Russia, so if someone could explain to me why the implications of this could be so massive, I'd be very appreciative.

Sijil

He's dead, Now Putin has an excuse to escalate in Syria as a retaliation, much like when Israel invaded Lebanon after their ambassador was assassinated. Erdogan has an excuse to abandon his rebels against Assad and focus on the Kurds in northern Syria.

Do you remember? An archduke who was the presumptive heir isn't even close to an ambassador. The hyperbole is outrageous.

Israel invaded Lebanon over their ambassador.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah this is pretty shitty but it is not apocalyptic war starting.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The fact that a radical was able to get a job as a bodyguard to an ambassador screams conspiracy to me.

Could have also just been dumb luck that he was a normal guard and just so happened to snap after Allepo.

Oh, it's a conspiracy alright. It's just doesn't have to be a particularly deep and contrived one.

There's probably a huge Wikipedia list of magnicides committed by radicalised and bought bodyguards.

Why would Russia attack Turkey? Do you even know what their relationship is?

If anything this will make Turkey even more Putin's
bitch.

Yeah, they won't attack a NATO member, especially not one ruled by an autocrat like Putin himself. Putin's going to make Erdogan his personal bitch, he now has two of them.

Jarmel

Banned
Some of you should probably read up on things before typing. You don't sound too brilliant to people who know better.

I was somewhat joking, good lord. Putin isn't likely to do military action due to this alone nor would a Trump presidency just sit on their heels.

I don't think people generally expect WW3 either.

Violet_0

Banned
Indira Ghandi was killed by her Sikh bodyguards after ordering the army to attack the Sikh Golden Temple a couple months earlier. These things happen

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

that's what I was trying to point out with the tweet about him not using bodyguards when he goes to certain places. Someone had to know that. He didn't just shoot him on the spur of the moment this was a planned assassination.

Mimosa97

The bodyguard was probably an al-nosra or other al-qaeda subsidiary group supporter. The finger pointed to the sky, his speech after shooting the ambassador.

Now I guess he wasn't a personal bodyguard for the ambassador but more like someone hired as security for the art exhibition ?

Burt

I would imagine that being a radical is a plus on your resume in a Erdogan regime.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't know about you guys, but the top diplomat and representative of a nation getting shot to death is a pretty big deal. I don't think any wars will be started due to this, but there will be massive ramifications.

Do people really think the consequences are going to be so severe as a result of this? I'm not hugely politically educated when it comes to Russia, so if someone could explain to me why the implications of this could be so massive, I'd be very appreciative.

Assassination of a foreign dignitary by a guard assigned to him by the host country (not sure if it's been specified who provided the security detail). Doesn't look good, and some people will want reprisals for it - especially when Turkish-Russian relations are already poor owing to their... differences of opinion over the Syrian Civil War.

Mind, Russia won't necessarily start an actual war over this - I imagine most citizens won't have even heard of the guy prior to this - but their relations with Turkey aren't about to get a whole lot better.

Kurtofan

not the first radicalized bodyguard who kill the person they were meant to protect, no grand conspiracy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom