• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
There won't be a war.

But if it happens,and NATO don't defend turkey, wouldn't turkey be very capable to defend themselves?

sazzy

this news is a sticky thread on r/Donald, and peeps there are blaming Obama because he ordered ISIS to do this.

Quirah

CNN Turk TV channel: It's still unknown if he is dead or not. Also no comment yet on if attacker dead too. But building and people etc. is under control.

JP_

Banned
There won't be a war.

But if it happens,and NATO don't defend turkey, wouldn't turkey be very capable to defend themselves?

If Russia attacks and NATO doesn't defend Turkey, NATO will be basically be proven to be a farce.

Harmen

Fuck. This won't start a WW or anything close to that, but it does give Putin more cards to play in whatever his schemes are, of which there have been many lately.

There won't be a war.

Turkey has a very well funded and capable military.

This won't be war, maybe more tensions between Russia/Turkey but there shouldn't be much more. Considering their actions in Syria, I'm really not surprised Russians would be more targeted for terror attacks.

EDIT: The recent "gulen" purges by Turkey probably have reduced capability though.

Condom

This might rally more Russians behind the war in Syria, it isn't too popular. Might also decrease the popularity, who knows.

Maledict

Russia would win any war against turkey though not without being bloodied, and i doubt they would fight to occupy Turkey.

Um, nope. Russia into Turkey is not something either side would want to test, but given they don't even share a land border I absolutely don't think Russia automatically wins any war. I mean, a straight up war of occupation would be farcical, there isn't a country on the planet that could do that.

d00d3n

Can Turkey theoretically use the NATO nukes that are stored in the country, or do they need codes from the US?

Oersted

Russia will double down on Assad, Erdogan will intensify the crackdown on opposition with more applause by the people.

Europe will watch and continue to back Erdogan because they are afraid of refugees, USA will fail with bombs and diplomacy, terrorists will gain more support. In the future, USA under Trump will move more towards Russia, leaving a leaderless Europe even more alone.

Might be wrong.

Giganteus

I was somewhat joking, good lord. Putin isn't likely to do military action due to this alone nor would a Trump presidency just sit on their heels.

I don't think people generally expect WW3 either.
"Somewhat joking" can be hard to detect on the internet, especially when several people sincerely believe things similar to what you said.

JohnsonUT

Fuck. This won't start a WW or anything close to that, but it does give Putin more cards to play in whatever his schemes are, of which there have been many lately.

Turkey has two obvious things of interest to Russia: Energy pipelines and access to the Mediterranean (from Sevastopol).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why would this lead to more tensions between Russia and Turkey? The is no reason to think so, like Turkey said this is an attack on Turkey-Russia relations.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Um, nope. Russia into Turkey is not something either side would want to test, but given they don't even share a land border I absolutely don't think Russia automatically wins any war. I mean, a straight up war of occupation would be farcical, there isn't a country on the planet that could do that.

They have nukes tho

If people want to worry about something they should start worrying about the stability of Turkey. If Erdogan turns his full attention to the Kurdish community there could be another civil war in the region (just as the one in Syria is ending). The people living there are in hell, my heart aches for them.

In the last 7 wars Rusia has fought against Turkey it has won all the ones that Turkey fought alone in (5 of the 7), it lost the Crimean war which turkey was aligned with a host of other nations and the other was indecisive.

RangerX

Banned
There is going to be an even more severe clampdown by Erdogan against civil liberties and Russia are going to be absolutely incensed and increase their support of Assad. Apparently the attacker said this was for Aleppo. Either way it will be innocent people who suffer as usual.

StayDead

Did the Turkish Government order this attack? No?

Why would it affect tensions then. Jeez guys, it's some guy trying to play martyr. This is going to make no difference to Turkish/Russian relations.

Hard to say what will happen now. I'd expect Russia to further solidify their support for Assad, and probably a weakening of NATO support for anti-Assad forces. If this is blamed on/claimed by one of the Syrian groups that the West is backing, then it'll also reflect exceptionally poorly on the US at a very bad time.

The whole execution is on closeup video.

This whole thing must have been planned out for weeks or maybe even months.

The assassination, the posted guard who did it and the fact they timed it to be on live TV during this visit is way-too coordinated for a random lone-wolf type of isolated incident.

IMO anyway. Maybe security is total shit in Turkey and this type of political killing CAN be pulled off with relative ease? But this seems way way too calculated to me.

Jarmel

Banned
"Somewhat joking" can be hard to detect on the internet, especially when several people sincerely believe things similar to what you said.

I do think the military response if something happened to Turkey would be more severe under Obama than Trump but Putin obviously wouldn't just wait over a month to do something. Not to mention an invasion of a well armed and funded military is not some trivial thing to do and likely won't happen over some random incident involving some random ambassador.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nothing will happen. If you get assigned ambassador to Turkey you are real low on the totem pole.

Considering the recent relations between Turkey and Russia I would say that actually the opposite should be true. You don't send some weak people to face the "enemy".

Kurdel

Banned
Turkey has two obvious things of interest to Russia: Energy pipelines and access to the Mediterranean (from Sevastopol).

A Kurdish state with a mediterranean port city would negate at least one of those advantages.

kurdish-population-map.jpg

akileese

Did the Turkish Government order this attack? No?

Why would it affect tensions then. Jeez guys, it's some guy trying to play martyr. This is going to make no difference to Turkish/Russian relations.

Not exactly true. It's still the murder of a foreign diplomat so there is going to be a lot of tension as a result. The two nations were well on their way to sort of mending fences and this will almost certainly set it back.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Gunman was a police officer since 2014.
He was born in 1994

C0DjgxXWQAEPktK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom