• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

We can't infer anything at this point -- it's just as possible that this could lead to further rapprochement or a crackdown on competing nationalist parties in Turkey, like the MHP.

E-phonk

Banned
but the Kurds are fighting Assad
I guess they could forge a very fragile alliance, which would severely destabilize Turkey. But realistically, I don't see it happening

Don't forget that Surkov, one of the most important and influential political strategists in Russia wouldn't care a bit about that, as he outlined in his short-story "without sky"
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue582/without_sky.html

"This was the first non-linear war. In the primitive wars of the nineteenth, twentieth, and other middle centuries, the fight was usually between two sides: two nations or two temporary alliances. But now, four coalitions collided, and it wasn’t two against two, or three against one. It was all against all."

Just to say that it's very hard to predict what the reactions will be.

Thousands of police officers purged the last few months and this guy gets to guard the Russian ambassador...... Has Erdogan blamed this on Gulen yet ?

Just imagine the reaction in America if that happened to a US diplomat, people would go crazy.

Americans have seen it before, and very recently too. It was corralled into an anti-Obama administration political cause and also probably ended any chance of direct US intervention in Syria.

from what i've read of WW1, after the assassination most people thought nothing big was to come of it.. all sides basically wanted to pull the brakes even amidst the escalation, when troops were being deployed, people still believed that of course there won't be a war, that they're too civilized for it. but then it just kinda happened on it's own momentum and complete madness ensued. didn't matter that no one wanted it.

or am i remembering wrong? was it immediately clear that a huge war was certain?

So I think Germany knew immediately what would happen if AH was was allowed to attack Serbia, which was that Russia would have to enter the war and also France. The assumption was not that the war would not happen, but that it would be over quickly. They would quickly disable France before the Russians got going and then swing back and deal with them (correct me if I'm wrong - could well be).

The parallel here is that, just as Serbia was allied to Russia and France, Turkey is allied to Europe and the US through NATO.

d00d3n

First of all, no they need the codes.

Second of all, no we are never giving that shitbag Erdoğan our nukes. Eff that noise.

Of course not. I was considering the possibility that he may want to use them in an escalating conflict against Russia. Good that they are password protected at least ...

Kilvin

This isn't gonna start a war people, stay reasonable. Comparing this to WW1 is ludicrous

I'm glad to see more reasonable heads popping up in this thread, though the over reactions are sort of typical in these type of threads.

What bothers me the most though is it is starting to feel like some people are almost hoping for World War III to happen.

Regardless, a tragic loss of life.

UgzsaES.jpg

If Russia were to retaliate it would not be an overt action. There are enough actors on the field that Russia could covertly support. If anything I would suspect you will see a rise in suicide bombers etc,

I mean for all the talk of "cooperating" Turkey just in recent weeks outright stated their Goal in Syria is pushing through the country until Assad gone. They are not working together at all.

This is correct, but Erdogan also retracted that statement on the next day or so. This remains the Turkish strategy, but he won't say it out loud. Still, a bigger concern to them is a Kurdish state.
Turkey also has means to make Russia pay a price. Like letting MLRS & sophisticated MANPADS appear in Idlib out of thin air.

trembli0s

but the Kurds are fighting Assad
I guess they could forge a very fragile alliance, which would severely destabilize Turkey. But realistically, I don't see it happening

Assad is a client puppet more than ever now. The war and Russian support gives him the ability to nomnimally cede a pretty sparse and not important part of Syria to the Kurds if he's leaned on hard enough. Coupled with Erdogan's crackdown it could be the spark that lights a big Kurdish revolt in Turkey, particularly if the Russians institute a no-fly zone and give them cover.

RT saying shooter is Turkish policeman

French media too.
22 years-old, joined the force in 2014.

Well... wouldn't be surprised if the policeman had been convinced to do this after all the media attention given to Aleppo and depicting Russians as the only ones responsible.

Still, shooting an ambassador, and a Russian one at that. I was NOT expecting that to happen.

spons

Gold Member
That video is some high quality shit. Can see him getting gunned down in pixel perfect clarity. Good lord.

akileese

Yeah, for now. I'm sure there will be more details uncovered. The case isn't closed 1 hour after the event.

No but there are a lot of people here who seem to be so worked up and almost acting as if they want it to bring about a world war. It's just not going to happen. If the Turkish government were to have any sort of involvement in this, it would frost relations and there might be some sanctions against them. There won't be bombs being dropped or an invasion.

Business

What a nutcase.

Major props to the AP photographer that kept doing his job.

WWI / WWIII & nuke codes posts are really embarassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom