• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If they continue leaking this, I wonder if it'll turn out that almost every single top athlete just happens to have some condition that requires otherwise illegal drugs.

cdyhybrid

Sure, that doesn't mean that it doesn't give them an advantage over competition.
Unless you've tested them both on and off the medication and controlled for any other factors that could affect athletic performance, I'm inclined to believe the anti-doping agencies when they say this isn't something that affects the legitimacy of the competition.

Ducarmel

I guess I can figure out why, but it still amazes me that there are people out there hoping for that smoking gun to bring down the William sisters.

I get believing in general athletes dope but I have seen people even posters in threads about Sarena try way to hard to especially prove Serena is a cheat by calling her a man/abnormal etc,

GiJoccin

I meant scientific proof, I in no way meant to take away from the people that legitimately have it. I apologize that i came across that way.

ADHD by definition is diagnosed via a clinical test. there's no medical test for it. that being said, it's quite prevalent, about 5% of children have it, so it's certainly not outlandish that she has it. and it seems like she's had the diagnosis for a while. a.k.a. nothing to see here.

good for her that she was able to focus her energy in such a positive way

darscot

Simone, Serena, and Venus. Man, what a random group. They're nothing alike!

I do find it sad that people jump right to race. How about they are the most dominant women in their sports the world has ever seen. Is that not enough that they are targeted? Do we really need to take all of that away and say it's just because they are black.

Derwind

Simone, Serena, and Venus. Man, what a random group. They're nothing alike!

Don't worry they also hacked Elena Delle Donne, so we cool...

:|

I do find it said that people jump right to race. How about they are the most dominant women in their sports the world has ever seen. Is that not enough that they are targeted? Do we really need to take all of that away and say it's just because they are black.

You're right, lets ignore the elephant in the room because...

Euphor!a

Banned
I do find it said that people jump right to race. How about they are the most dominant women in their sports the world has ever seen. Is that not enough that they are targeted? Do we really need to take all of that away and say it's just because they are black.

People just see what they want to see. Russia just wants to discredit American athletes, I doubt they care they are black.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I see that you've just glanced at the headline. Maybe read some of the actual story.

They released the files for 4 people, the other was Elena Delle Donne. So not like it was a huge dump and people choose these three to look at.

Slayven

The basic idea still stands. Come on now.

Not really

Athletes that spent every waking moment for a majority of their lives trying to be the best at their sport

vs

a few guys that show up on a saturday once in a while to goof around

It's just a bad anecdote in general

"We will start with the U.S. team which has disgraced its name by tainted victories. We will also disclose exclusive information about other national Olympic teams later. Wait for sensational proof of famous athletes taking doping substances any time soon."

We finally get to know if Team GB cycling team are PED abusers? 😮

darscot

ADHD by definition is diagnosed via a clinical test. there's no medical test for it. that being said, it's quite prevalent, about 5% of children have it, so it's certainly not outlandish that she has it. and it seems like she's had the diagnosis for a while. a.k.a. nothing to see here.

good for her that she was able to focus her energy in such a positive way

I completely concede that Simone may legitimately have ADHD, I think gymnastics would be way above average with the percentage of people with ADHD. At the young level anecdotally I would guess greater than 50%.

gcubed

No, I wouldn't bar someone from taking prescription medication as long as she does it legally. Which it's obvious she did.

I'm just saying that having medication that increases your focus and attention is very convenient for a sport like gymnastics. One needs much more than this to be a great gymnast. But I still think that it might be questionable in terms of fairness.

For example I have nothing to say about Serena and Venus, I don't see anything wrong in any way there. I also argued with people trying to excuse Sharapova in some previous threads. I also have no love for Russia. Like at all.

But it's fine, I understand people are rather looking at this story though the national glasses, so maybe it would be good idea to step out, seeing the level of aggression that can be reached.

Edit: no, I'm not an native speaker, obviously, so be free to pick on that, it really shows you in a much better picture.

If this would have been your first post instead of what you laid down maybe the aggression wouldn't have started

johnny956

Russia cracks me up. It's obvious it's condoned or backed up their government and this is just retaliation for them getting caught with all their doping issues. Of course if they they followed the rules and used TUE's they wouldn't be having this issue.

Pedrito

Many russian athletes probably have medical exemptions as well, or at least they could, so it's a whole bunch of nothing. But bitter russian nationalists will try to cling to anything they can. One day they'll snap out of it, maybe.

Giving medical exemptions for things like asthma spray is kind of a problem though. Ain't it weird how so many elite cross-country skiers are asthmatic? But for now it's legal so...

Verelios

I do find it sad that people jump right to race. How about they are the most dominant women in their sports the world has ever seen. Is that not enough that they are targeted? Do we really need to take all of that away and say it's just because they are black.
Lol, okay, haven't seen this stance when they're winning though

I do think part of it has to do with a lot of European countries not familiar with the prowess of African American athletes due to their dominance of American centric sports instead of Eurocentric ones like Tennis and Gymnastics, so there's an underlying belief that Serena and Simone can't be as dominant without illegal substances aiding them.

With all this controversy around substances I can only wonder how fucked sports will be when genetic modification becomes a thing. Will there be a separate Olympics for modified humans or something?

Get a doctors note next time Russia
Not a problem

160826-trump-doctor-mbe_522p_4682d6e21de28872bf7e79a0041ee9f1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Things I learned from this thread

• Athletes with medical conditions should be required to stop taking their medication because it could give an advantage. No word on coaching, equipment, diet, exercise, genetics...
  • No athlete has ever really had a serious ailment that could require medication. They're so fit yo!
  • ADHD doesn't exist and shouldn't be medicated.
  • Getting a medical excuse for taking banned medication is incredibly easy, so Russia was just too stupid to do it for all their doping athletes that got slammed.
  • All the winners of all sports events should be Russians.

Corto

ADHD - that life threatening disease that require medication in time for Olympics.

If everything is legal doesn't make it also fair or moral.

But it does. Every athlete has the right to take the medicine needed to treat any health condition properly diagnosed by a certified doctor and with ancillary exams to back it up. these exemptions are available to any athlete that requires them and follows the proper process. If this process was easily subverted and just a formality there wouldn't exist doping. Every athlete would just claim to have some ailment and have at it.

Euphor!a

Banned
But it does. Every athlete has the right to take the medicine needed to treat any health condition properly diagnosed by a certified doctor and with ancillary exams to back it up. these exemptions are available to any athlete that requires them and follows the proper process. If this process was easily subverted and just a formality there wouldn't exist doping. Every athlete would just claim to have some ailment and have at it.

But it is easily subverted and they do. Just looks at the rates of asthma in skiing and long distance running.

I understand the anger that comes from having your athletes barred from competition, but that's an extreme violation of privacy that doesn't actually indict the regulators. It only opens athletes up for assaults through social media and and in real life. Sure, it's possible that there may be biases, but you'r attacking too many innocents to reach your ends.

That's assuming they're genuine. Like many "hacktivists" it's much more likely they just lash out because they can, and then rationalize it however they can. What a waste of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom