• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuthenicCookie who broke news of Sony not going to E3 says PS5 is a Monster (Details inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLZ

Banned
Focusing on some VR features can also be a net positive for those who want power for traditional games. It takes a lot of power to keep driving VR forward in the fidelity/realism department with higher resolutions, assets, and frame-rates. So if they are serious with driving that platform forward, they would have a serious power/tech investment as well to make that push.
I actually like VR. But not this beta iteration we have now. I enjoyed it for a few days until I sold it. I'm looking forward to jumping back in when the tech is right for me, i.e. wireless and lighter headset. The experience is so much better.

onQ123

Focusing on some VR features can also be a net positive for those who want power for traditional games. It takes a lot of power to keep driving VR forward in the fidelity/realism department with higher resolutions, assets, and frame-rates. So if they are serious with driving that platform forward, they would have a serious power/tech investment as well to make that push.

Yep & it's the only thing that would push towards a 60fps standard.

FStubbs

I wonder what kind of monster this will be. the RTX 2080Ti is only a bit more than twice the teraflops of the Xbox One X but costs $1000+. Sony will have to have some secret sauce somewhere.

onQ123

I wonder what kind of monster this will be. the RTX 2080Ti is only a bit more than twice the teraflops of the Xbox One X but costs $1000+. Sony will have to have some secret sauce somewhere.

RTX 2080Ti is also 12nm while PS5 will be 7nm but besides that RTX has special hardware so looking at the Flops vs Xbox One X isn't a good comparison.

onQ123

ID3gyz.jpg

2YqtQN.jpg

Last edited:

thejared

I genuinely believe this is a controlled leak by Sony to throw Microsoft off their trail. We’re getting a lot of “leaks” with different and conflicting information and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah.. I give a lot of credit to Sony for MIcrosofts screw ups with the Xbox. I remember them downplaying the power of the Orbis, saying “it’s about experiences, not power”. Then saying stuff like “why would we unveil our console early just so other people can beat it”... then they unveil it like a couple months later. And of course the whole GDDR 5 memory bombshell.

Shortly before their reveal they even received a patent that would disable used games, which tricked everyone in the media and Microsoft into believing everyone was gonna do this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i just want a controller that doesn't have shit battery life. if they want to make more gimmicky shit then charge idiots more for a DS5 Pro. make the standard DS5 with better battery life, no touch screen, speakers, or lights.

PS4 Pro is already there. This kind of claim is completely dependent on how developers choose to utilize graphic assets. Everyone with a gaming PC knows this.

This. There are native 4k/60 games on PS4 pro now. Also, there will still be 30fps games on the ps5, the ps6 etc...

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lmfao do you even know what you're talking about? teraflops are measured different on AMD + nvidia cards.

a 13TF nvidia card isn't the same as a 13TF amd card. i reckon the PS5/XB2 will be based on a Vega 64 (12.6TF) gpu, which is over twice the performance of an XB1X, which is about on par with a GTX 1080 (8.9TF). for comparison a RTX 2080 Ti is 13.4TF.

so by your logic a Vega 64 is close to a RTX 2080 Ti LMFAO and it's not

V64 (12.6TF) vs 2080 Ti (13.4TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2136?vs=2143
V64 (12.6TF) vs 1080 (8.9TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2143
V56 (8.3TF) vs 1070 (6.5TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1938?vs=1941

Last edited:

FStubbs

lmfao do you even know what you're talking about? teraflops are measured different on AMD + nvidia cards.

a 13TF nvidia card isn't the same as a 13TF amd card. i reckon the PS5/XB2 will be based on a Vega 64 (12.6TF) gpu, which is over twice the performance of an XB1X, which is about on par with a GTX 1080 (8.9TF). for comparison a RTX 2080 Ti is 13.4TF.

V64 (12.6TF) vs 2080 Ti (13.4TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2136?vs=2143
V64 (12.6TF) vs 1080 (8.9TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2139?vs=2143
V56 (8.3TF) vs 1070 (6.5TF): https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1938?vs=1941

No, I'm afraid you're the one who failed reading comprehension. The important part of my question was the price vs the PS5 being a "monster". I'll make it plainer:

I don't know how this thing can qualify as a monster and be affordable.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
I’m more than comfortable paying 500 for a solid spec’d machine that i’ll use 5-6 years. My iphone xs max was 1600, and ill likely upgrade in 2 years.

Bring on the MONSTER.

Zewp

4K/60 stable and at the same time kinda monster

The question is, for how long? 4k/60 at release, then 4k/30 in 2021, as games become more demanding and they have to make compromises between the graphics and framerate?

"Monster" is relative. I'd be surprised if the next gen consoles couldn't manage that at release. I'd be more surprised if they maintain it throughout their lifespan.

onQ123

They are not measured differently it's just the fact that flops is the measurement of how many floating point operations can be done per second & Nvidia just so happen to make better use of these floating point operations.

In one of NPD threads we had well known insider with access to numbers confirm that sales of Pro for that month were higher than X. So I think 400$ is much more sane price point unless they are planing to position PS5 as Pro console and ride PS4/PS5 cross gen for few years.

For what month? Definitely not launch months.

thelastword

Banned

Math is math, it does not change from one manufacturer to the other.....I see this is constantly being said and it's simply not true....You measure TFLOPS in the same way, you calculate percentage the same way, profits etc....

AMD cards has higher TFLOP counts because they are more powerful cards, that's why they consume more power...The problem is that the power is not entirely utilized.....Now it can be both AMD and NV's fault that is happening, AMD may have created cards that utilizes and accelerates graphical features that most devs don't use. OTOH, NV has the monpoly, most games uses NV features and are developed with their arch in mind, AMD cards suffer in both scenarios.....Gameworks has not and didn't help either.....It could also be some imbalance in AMD cards, where perhaps their clocks are not high enough to use all the power that they have....Or perhaps if they used a different memory type, up clocks and reduce the power consumption you would see the true results of these cards.....One thing is certain, Vega is not fully utilized, as you've heard, Raja lost most of his people when developing Vega, so take that as you will....and deduce as you will.....

Yet, it's true though, TFLOPS is not all. Getting maximum throughput out of all these flops is what's essential, I think Pascal won there for the most part, but as you can see, even now, games that happen to use Vega and Polaris features really pull ahead of Pascal.......Look at how Vega runs ahead in Dirt, Strange Brigade, The Forza games etc....in Vulkan and DX12 titles as well...DX11 is pretty much anti-AMD hardware, the fact that they perform so well in these titles is testament to their power "580 vs 1060 as an example". If AMD hardware was more efficient with these older api's, their cards would be way ahead of Nvidia....

And BTW, Liquid Cooled Vega is 13.7TF......

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
People aren't that broke

If they can spend $900 every two years for smartphone then $500 for a console that last for 7-8 year is a piece of cake
Yes, but most people don't buy those at an upfront cost. They are often sold with a small amount upfront and the remaining cost spread out over several years.

Still, your argument is a fair one. $500, while not cheap is nowhere near as outrageous as it was in 2013 and certainly 2006.

yurinka

I buy a November 2020 release date, I don't think they can have it for March. So the full reveal wouldn't be in PSX 2019, it would be closer to launch (E3 2020 maybe?) with maybe a small teaser during Feb or March 2020 (just before GDC maybe?).

$500 seems too expensive to me, I think $400 would make more sense unless $500 is a PS5+PSVR2 bundle something I highly doubt.

Other than that the info seems ok. Regarding the launch games, I think they will be Horizon 2 and (to make sure they dominate the generation again) Knack 3. I only buy mentions to PS4 games as a way to say PS5 will be full BC and will feature PS4Pro-like free enhacement upgrade patches for these main 2019-2020 PS4 Sony games.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I buy a November 2020 release date, I don't think they can have it for March. So the full reveal wouldn't be in PSX 2019, it would be closer to launch (E3 2020 maybe?) with maybe a small teaser during Feb or March 2020 (just before GDC maybe?).

$500 seems too expensive to me, I think $400 would make more sense unless $500 is a PS5+PSVR2 bundle something I highly doubt.

Other than that the info seems ok. Regarding the launch games, I think they will be Horizon 2 and (to make sure they dominate the generation again) Knack 3. I only buy mentions to PS4 games as a way to say PS5 will be full BC and will feature PS4Pro-like free enhacement upgrade patches for these main 2019-2020 PS4 Sony games.

The Knack 3 comment had me laughing. But it might be their good luck charm..

Justin9mm

About price, this is what I don't get.. People upgrading their phone every 1-3 years paying in the $1000's for a marginal upgrade but a flagship console of more than $500 and everyone loses their minds!!

yurinka

About price, this is what I don't get.. People upgrading their phone every 1-3 years paying in the $1000's for a marginal upgrade but a flagship console of more than $500 and everyone loses their minds!!
Consoles are a different market. PS3 tanked at launch due to its $599 price, They must keep console prices at $400 or less or it will tank. PC players with high end PCs are a tiny minority of the market and same goes with sales of $1000 (or more) phones versus the entire smartphone market, even if in this case many sales aren't gaming focused -at least not a similar gaming concept compared to consoles- and isn't as tiny.

Last edited:
Im definitely taking a wait and see approach with next generation as much as I love new, powerful technology. A lot of trends and practices really rubbed and are rubbing me the wrong way this generation. Always online, broken unfinished games, DLC, micro transactions, SJW crap, censorship, too many open world games, heavy emphasis on multiplayer games, lack of linear games, etc. I think the $500 for a PS5 is reasonable if it's as powerful as they are claiming, but I doubt the masses feel that way until it hits $400. We will see though.

TLZ

Banned

Calm your tits.

Bani

It's not the same as for consoles ,It would mean this, if Nvidia sells a graphic card for $1000 with that tech RTX, in a world of console can sell for $250 with same tech, it is just an example, and could be possible in reality

jammyd1988

Neo Member
Has it occurred to anyone seems Sony are implementing changes as of March 2019 to their PS Plus subscription. I wonder if this is to gear towards the reveal and implementation of the PS5.

With them removing “PS3 and Vita” titles, could this indicate that the PS5 will not cater for backwards compatibility as far back as then and maybe just cater for PS4 titles.

Also I think if there’s no announcement in March, I think it would be wise to either announce or even release “PS5” in Dec 2019 to mark its 25th anniversary and also it would tie in nicely to holding a PSX event, that’s my logic.

What are you thoughts?

Schnozberry

People aren't that broke

If they can spend $900 every two years for smartphone then $500 for a console that last for 7-8 year is a piece of cake

It definitely caps early sales numbers to a degree. To what extent is arguable. People aren't paying $900 up front for phones in most cases. They are leasing a device.

Last edited:

Dokku

It definitely caps early sales numbers to a degree. To what extent is arguable. People aren't paying $900 up front for phones in most cases. They are leasing a device.
I reckon that'll become a standard to Microsoft next gen. From a business point of view, launching a 16 core, 32 thread Ryzen 7 with a 20TF GPU and 64GB of HBM3 for $999 isn't appealing, but subscribing to the 'Xbox Elite Service' (which includes a Scarlett, Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Live and some form of online video streaming service) for $60-$70 a month for 24 or 36 months doesn't sound so bad.

Can't say I can see Sony doing the same, which I'm not sure is a shame.

Last edited:

Flapples

maaaan i just want a new xbox to get away from that shit show xbox one. Isn't it a little bizarre having a ryzen in a console though???

Dokku

How so? This gen is currently using hastily thrown together laptop CPUs and last gen Sony's choice of CPU didn't do them any favours and almost bankrupted them. Ryzen is a perfect fit.

zenspider

November 2020? Yes please. Next gen feels as 4K/HDR dependent as the 360/PS3 era was on HD to really experience it.

I'll happily take a 2 year reprieve to getting my setup in order. I also hope the 4K/ HDR standards and PS5 requirements are crystal clear.

Last edited:
Phones have trade in deals that can shave 250-300+$ they can also be paid in monthly installments. Wait 1-2 years and the particular model may have dropped in price to under 400$

bitbydeath

Has it occurred to anyone seems Sony are implementing changes as of March 2019 to their PS Plus subscription. I wonder if this is to gear towards the reveal and implementation of the PS5.

With them removing “PS3 and Vita” titles, could this indicate that the PS5 will not cater for backwards compatibility as far back as then and maybe just cater for PS4 titles.

Also I think if there’s no announcement in March, I think it would be wise to either announce or even release “PS5” in Dec 2019 to mark its 25th anniversary and also it would tie in nicely to holding a PSX event, that’s my logic.

What are you thoughts?

Yep, should point to a reveal in February to explain it and if the rumours are true then a full unfolding at PSX 2019.

Justin9mm

Phones have trade in deals that can shave 250-300+$ they can also be paid in monthly installments. Wait 1-2 years and the particular model may have dropped in price to under 400$
Here in Australia we don't really have trade in deals, it's not something people do. Our phone plan prices are a joke so now people are steering away from the 24 and 36 month lock in contract where you end up paying more for the phone over time. You can save about $600 or more over a contract period to buy outright and get a sim only plan.

Looks like Microsoft is considering acquiring IO interactive after the commercial flop Hitman 2 was. makes sense since I doubt WB will publish Hitman 3 or any game they have at this point.

that would be 8 studios for Microsoft this gen, -3 for Sony. looks like am going to buy my first xbox ever next gen. maybe even before a PS5. since am a large advocate of many diverse good games rather than extremely large budget few titles.

Sony should absolutely jump on IO, But we know how corporations work, unfortunately they hired a dude that cares about cloud gaming a the CEO of playstation and in general this iteration of playstation executives are a bunch of wackos. Phil Spencer is the guy, he said he will do things, and yes xbox this generation is a failure. but hes doing things. even if half of these studio's games are good they would already be matching Sony's first party output.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Looks like Microsoft is considering acquiring IO interactive after the commercial flop Hitman 2 was. makes sense since I doubt WB will publish Hitman 3 or any game they have at this point.

that would be 8 studios for Microsoft this gen, -3 for Sony. looks like am going to buy my first xbox ever next gen. maybe even before a PS5. since am a large advocate of many diverse good games rather than extremely large budget few titles.

Sony should absolutely jump on IO, But we know how corporations work, unfortunately they hired a dude that cares about cloud gaming a the CEO of playstation and in general this iteration of playstation executives are a bunch of wackos. Phil Spencer is the guy, he said he will do things, and yes xbox this generation is a failure. but hes doing things. even if half of these studio's games are good they would already be matching Sony's first party output.

Where are you seeing ms is considering acquiring io? I agree layden is a scumbag but what other “wackos” are you talking about ?

Where are you seeing ms is considering acquiring io? I agree layden is a scumbag but what other “wackos” are you talking about ?

maybe exaggerated but not just layden also the kodera guy hes mostly a cloud gaming guy

they talked about how they want to talk with the people and be more communicative. meanwhile they literally gave the news of them not attending E3 to journalists instead of telling us officially directly

they shut down that indie games campaign that gio corsi was behind shortly after it started

they stopped talking about PS2 TO PS4 program for no reason and didn't give us many of its promised games

idk. I just dislike the leadership Sony has right now. they are extremely uncommunicative. they should have put Shu as the head of playstation. not Layden.

they are being so bullshit PR-y with their talks, they don't hold their word really. they canceled two events, two shitty E3s in a row. solid PGW but thats about it. bad PSX last year. list goes on and on

they just don't care because they are in the lead. glad microsoft is getting ramped up. but Sony isn't ramping up anything.

Last edited:
I agree. Shu should of been the guy, not layden.

what did layden do this entire generation? where is the last of us of this generation? its just a sequel. nothing new at all thats a generational goty. what happened.

did he form a new groundbreaking studio? no. did he introduce a new large ip? no. the last great thing that happened is that andrew house created a partner ship with kojima before he left

layden is straight up a bum.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

what did layden do this entire generation? where is the last of us of this generation? its just a sequel. nothing new at all thats a generational goty. what happened.

did he form a new groundbreaking studio? no. did he introduce a new large ip? no. the last great thing that happened is that andrew house created a partner ship with kojima before he left

layden is straight up a bum.
This worries me too. Also, besides Shu there are virtually no managers in place that were around during the PS3’s disastrous launch. Hopefully someone there remembers so they don’t repeat their past errors in judgment.
I liked the PS4 Management team and their clear, on point messaging at the beginning of this gen. I feel much of it has been lost however. While they haven’t made any MAJOR missteps all of the little things that I have been observing when taken as a whole just doesn’t fill me with confidence that they have a clear and concise vision going into next gen. I would love to be proven wrong but I just can’t shake this uneasy feeling that I have.
I have been pro Sony (well pro consoles to be truthful) from the ps1 era but I just don’t see Sony taking as many risks on the gaming side as they used to. I am not seeing as many niche titles as prior gens, although Dreams definitely has my attention.
I am also not in line with many of their recent decisions such as their new censorship policies, E3, cross play, etc.
They have made a LOT of money this gen, I want to see them invest that cash on a friggin’ monster console next gen while taking a hit on the hardware to keep price reasonable.
I want to see them invest money and purchase some new kick ass studios. Finally I want to see Sony getting back to actively communicating and listening with their intensely loyal fan base because right now they are borderline insulting with some of their responses (think of the children, etc. ).
Truth be told, unless they have a fucked up console of epic proportions I will be purchasing a ps5 at launch (as well as Microsoft’s next offering) because I love new tech but they can certainly be doing more to make me feel like I’m an appreciated customer.
And before people start with “Sony is a corporation in the business to make money and don’t give a damn about you or I”. Well yeah, no kidding but there are still ways to run your business while making your loyal customers “feel” like you give a damn or that you are at least trying. Right now I just don’t feel like they are trying very hard at all.
Meh, rant over. Seriously I am looking forward to next gen and am hopeful both Sony and Microsoft have stellar launches because I like it when both companies are at the top of their game while delivering innovative and just plain old fun to play consoles.

Cynn

Xbox One X has already done it with Forza 7. If the machine has the horsepower and frame buffer for the resolution and framerate itself, the rest is just a matter of burden against that load eating into your overhead. It's all decisions of scale within scope of options.
Pretty sure they mean as a baseline for next gen not just special cases as it is now with Pro and X1X.

You could say the PS3 and XBOX 360 were 1080p/60 consoles just because a few arcade titles hit that but you’d not be painting an accurate picture overall.

Klik

I dont get it,what means no breaker box for PSVR? And that it will be included with console?
Does it mean(speculation)that for 500$ we'll get console+PSVR included?

Toe-Knee

I dont get it,what means no breaker box for PSVR? And that it will be included with console?
Most likely it means there will be an additional HDMI output on the front of the console for the vr headset like you get on a lot of modern pc cases

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

No, it would mean that you could connect PSVR with the old breaker box and PSVR2 without any extra box or maybe you can use either PSVR or PSVR2 unit without any breaker box.

Right now the breaker box allows you to use the PSVR unit while displaying a dewarped video feed to the TV as you are playing, doing extra work for 3D binaural / sound mixing for VR, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom