• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuthenicCookie who broke news of Sony not going to E3 says PS5 is a Monster (Details inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellome

They can take their time to release a new hw. They are the market leader, no need to rush a new hw.

And by a gamer perspective i don'treally need a more powerful console to play the very same gameplay mechanics only with bettere res/framerate. We already have powerful machines.

NickFire

2 things in these claims are very hard to believe:

1) Announcing before a holiday season and launching after. Maybe there's solid market research showing that a video game market leader won't lose significant holiday sales by doing so because the people who care already about power and tech will have the current model. Possible, but I doubt it. Would seem speculative at best IMO and too much risk.

2) $500. Inflation shmflation. $500 is too high and too risky. If the competition comes in $100 cheaper, you have shot yourself in the foot.

$500? Too much? If you put $1 in a jar every day, starting now, you'll be able to buy it with cash at launch.

Not having a go at anyone, but why can't people just learn to save up for things? You need to put aside $30 a month. Surely that's doable!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In the op it says “Has a Camera (DS5 is going to have that too)”

It's hard to believe this is what was meant by that part of the post. Why would the DS5 controller need a camera?

They can take their time to release a new hw. They are the market leader, no need to rush a new hw.

And by a gamer perspective i don'treally need a more powerful console to play the very same gameplay mechanics only with bettere res/framerate. We already have powerful machines.

More power is always needed.

NickFire

$500? Too much? If you put $1 in a jar every day, starting now, you'll be able to buy it with cash at launch.

Not having a go at anyone, but why can't people just learn to save up for things? You need to put aside $30 a month. Surely that's doable!

I cannot speak for everyone, but my feelings on a $500 entry level console (being stupid) have nothing to do with what I would pay. I am the sort who bought a launch Pro despite having a 1080p TV just because I wanted the extra power and performance. So $500 for a beast system would not be something I cried about because of my wallet. I still think it would be utterly stupid though. The 86-90 million PS4's in the wild were not primarily sold to people like myself or yourself. They were primarily sold to the mass market / more casual gamers. For them and their parents, $500 would give sticker shock. And telling a huge chunk of people who probably net around $500 or less each week in their pay, to just start saving $30 a month (or way more depending on time between announcement and release), would not be the best form of advertising.

Three

The reality could be that $499 is necessary to hit the target specs that would make for a proper jump in visuals and performance, which the devs themselves could be demanding.

Maybe it's what the 60fps/4k refers to. Current PS4 games in 60fps/4K.

bellome

More power is always needed.

Of course more power always means more possibilities on devs side but not automatically translates in better games if they don't put new ideas on the table.

And this is what is happening right now with current gen consoles (with rare exceptions).

Our current gen console are powerful enough to give us great games (technically speaking) hence i would prefer a stronger commitment on gameplay innovation than hardware innovation at this point.

joe_zazen

Wasn't pricing one of the main reasons why Sony beat Microsoft at E3 2013 and early on into 2014, in terms of sales?

$499 sounds okay but bad for Sony if Microsoft releases the Xbox scarlett at a lower price point around the same release window.

MS is going to have the diskless cheap box ($299-$349) and the plus box which will be ps5 power + $100 worth of extra grunt in order to win all tech showdowns. I think it is a winning strategy as one size fits all kind of sucks.

LordOfChaos

500 * CAD + tax is going to be 755.55 for me, faack, but at the same time so long as they don't skimp on anything (8 ryzen cores is good so far...) I may be in.

I just hope they carry forward the PS4s momentum with full BC, physical and digital, which should be possible as the architectures are set to be more similar than any generational jump before (well, barring GCN-Wii). If not they're shooting themselves in the foot by losing that lead.

And then if they also allow developers to treat PS4 games like they're running on a PS4 Pro-Pro and allow patching them to run even better, they'll be rocketing out of the gate on the next gen. Advertise it as all your PS4 games, even better than ever, plus all new exclusives that can't be done on the last gen.

HeresJohnny

MS is going to have the diskless cheap box ($299-$349) and the plus box which will be ps5 power + $100 worth of extra grunt in order to win all tech showdowns. I think it is a winning strategy as one size fits all kind of sucks.
Raw power has never been the sole factor in who wins. Both PlayStation and PS2 were easily outclassed in the hardware department. Didn’t make a bit of difference, they flayed the competition. Tons of power is nice, of course, but it certainly isn’t a determining factor.

joe_zazen

500 * CAD + tax is going to be 755.55 for me, faack, but at the same time so long as they don't skimp on anything (8 ryzen cores is good so far...) I may be in.

I just hope they carry forward the PS4s momentum with full BC, physical and digital, which should be possible as the architectures are set to be more similar than any generational jump before (well, barring GCN-Wii). If not they're shooting themselves in the foot by losing that lead.

And then if they also allow developers to treat PS4 games like they're running on a PS4 Pro-Pro and allow patching them to run even better, they'll be rocketing out of the gate on the next gen. Advertise it as all your PS4 games, even better than ever, plus all new exclusives that can't be done on the last gen.

Quite the change from 2013 with at par currency + rebates which got me a ps4 for $319.

joe_zazen

Raw power has never been the sole factor in who wins. Both PlayStation and PS2 were easily outclassed in the hardware department. Didn’t make a bit of difference, they flayed the competition. Tons of power is nice, of course, but it certainly isn’t a determining factor.

Not win in sales, but win in digital foundry style showdowns in order to give the brand ‘best place to play’ credibility. A two prong price strategy gives you the ability to always have the strongest console without hurting sales.

vpance

Not win in sales, but win in digital foundry style showdowns in order to give the brand ‘best place to play’ credibility. A two prong price strategy gives you the ability to always have the strongest console without hurting sales.

Could be a Tard Pack redux, where the least expensive SKU has the worst value (but the most profit). And people skimping to save $100 are left without a disc drive, always online, sub 4K, etc will be ridiculed.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I cannot speak for everyone, but my feelings on a $500 entry level console (being stupid) have nothing to do with what I would pay. I am the sort who bought a launch Pro despite having a 1080p TV just because I wanted the extra power and performance. So $500 for a beast system would not be something I cried about because of my wallet. I still think it would be utterly stupid though. The 86-90 million PS4's in the wild were not primarily sold to people like myself or yourself. They were primarily sold to the mass market / more casual gamers. For them and their parents, $500 would give sticker shock. And telling a huge chunk of people who probably net around $500 or less each week in their pay, to just start saving $30 a month (or way more depending on time between announcement and release), would not be the best form of advertising.

I used to say $500 was too much for a next gen console...then I bought the X, a mid-gen console on day one. I basically became a victim of the hype but in this case I feel that excitement was well rewarded. Problem with new gen iterations is that they come with too many unknowns. What games will be available day 1 vs "the launch window". Will we see a repeat of RROD? Is there going to be sufficient 3rd party support (mainly Nintendo). So with these cases in mind $500 seems like a huge ask. Add to the fact that Xbox One X may be able to play the next gen games (forward compatibility) then that just makes me feel like waiting until the first price drop is the better decision, maybe with a bundle or something.

March 2020 was my assumption from the start. I stand by it.

Looks like next year could be the year of the backlog. At least in the second half.

trickyaudio

Neo Member
Just built a new Gaming Rig with a Ryzen chip and its been superb. A Ryzen 8 PS5 would be very tasty. Pricing might be the issue though....

trickyaudio

Neo Member
Just built a new Gaming Rig with a Ryzen chip and its been superb. A Ryzen 8 PS5 would be very tasty. Pricing might be the issue though....

Having said that, with Microsoft going down the contract route, maybe Sony could follow and do a 24month sign up? Would balance the cost of that easily.

Michele

you.
Not to sound like a idiot, but I'm out of the loop. Why is the guy gaining a lot of upvotes? What he said was a little too vague to me. Could anyone please enlighten me?

Dargor

That all depends on the competition. If both Sony and MS launch next gen at 499$ then we'll have no choice.

I think thats what MS was counting on this gen. They would have a less powerfull console but it would be ok since they would have the same price as Sony, and since they would have kinect it would even out.

But Sony's gamble paid off and they won that one out. IIRC there was even a rumor that when MS announced the 499 price tag, Sony employees on their side of E3 were congratulating themselves saying "we won".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But Sony's gamble paid off and they won that one out. IIRC there was even a rumor that when MS announced the 499 price tag, Sony employees on their side of E3 were congratulating themselves saying "we won".

That's not a rumor. Either Adam Boyes or Shuei Yoshida admitted to that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So Rutheniccookie spilled the beans one day before Sony announced it?

Add him/her to the insiders list.

Only a handful worth trusting in my book.

I'm not liking the launch price. I hope Sony look at some cheaper options. Just how powerful is this Ryzen architecture? For those of us with limited technical knowledge, is that really a big jump?

HeresJohnny

Wasn't Xbox One X around 750k end of December 2017 just in the US?

I've never heard such numbers, but again, given how guarded both companies have been with the information, I don't think they are setting the world on fire. And really, why would they be? At this point in a generation, you're trying to attract people to buy in that haven't yet due to price. These consoles are going up in price, not down. The only people they're attracting are the people who would've already bought one at the beginning of the generation. Because when you think about it, buying a $500 console at the end of the generation is a horrible value proposition. You're going to have limited time before it becomes obsolete due to the next generation eclipsing it. A lot of X and Pro buyers are aware of this and it won't bother them, but it'll piss off more than a few.

HeresJohnny

It also divides your base and makes developers develop for the lowest common denominator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom