• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

Just saw the short, that was pretty good. I can't wait for volume 5, I need my
Bumbleby
reunion.

Found this on Tumblr LOL:

tumblr_ovcdxvV9ss1s3vb4xo1_540.png

I'm against BlakexYang if only because Tumblr shippers want it so much.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm against BlakexYang if only because Tumblr shippers want it so much.

To be fair the BlakexSun shippers also have a powerful force on Tumblr. Of all the ships these two are probably the biggest on there. Maybe Renora is up there too, haven't looked in a while.

On the character short itself:

I've really warmed to Ilia based on this. I dunno if it was because Blake's story in Volume 4 kept feeling like a cutaway from the actual plot of that volume; RNJR and Qrow, but I never got at all invested in Menagerie beyond Blake's folks. The Ilia v Blake/Sun fight wasn't anything spectacular visually, and felt like a dramatic beat put in, because, Blake's story wasn't going anywhere. Whereas here, this is more character development in a five minute segment than a lot of the main cast got in a whole volume. And it's a relatable sense of hatred, unlike Adam's. See, as has been said already in this thread, Adam is either a stain of a person to his core, or we haven't been exposed to nearly enough to see how he wound up so fucked up. But based on this trailer, screw him, Blake already seems to have more sympathetic yet antagonistic relationship to Ilia.

Beth Cyra

I really hope Bumblebee doesn't happen.

Blake doesn't deserve Yang, didn't even step up and defend her after the festival issue, it had to be Weiss when both Ruby and Blake failed, the tools.

Oh yeah FreezerBurn OTP for life yo.

Geist-

To be fair the BlakexSun shippers also have a powerful force on Tumblr. Of all the ships these two are probably the biggest on there. Maybe Renora is up there too, haven't looked in a while.

I'm just against fans dictating creative choices. Those relationships at least seem like natural directions for the show to take (even if I find Sun boring as hell).

I'm just against fans dictating creative choices. Those relationships at least seem like natural directions for the show to take (even if I find Sun boring as hell).

Volume 4 hasn't had a DVD release in the UK yet, so this is second hand information here, but I'm lead to believe through Reddit that Kerry and Miles on commentary confessed that they intentionally altered a scene because of potential fan reactions. It's where Jaune comforts Ruby in Kuroyuri, originally (according to the Reddit post transcribing the commentary), Jaune and Ruby embraced after he told her she gave them courage, and the scene would silently transition back into Ren's childhood. They decided to alter the body language to where Jaune simply reaches out and holds her shoulder, before saying the same line, and the scene moving ahead. The reason being, they did not want there to be too much speculation on Jaune and Ruby being too close, as not to upset a core part of the fanbase.

It's stupid on multiple layers, for one, a hug is still a hug, and beyond shipping signs, it's one of the most heartfelt ways of expressing comfort, not necessarily attraction. Jaune hugging her there, whilst she questioned herself, stuck with a dying relative, that's relatable, not suggestive. Secondly, if the intention against this decision was that it didn't fit your character's arcs, say that. By suggesting the decision to change was to appease fans, you're already on a slippery slope to being dictated by their expectations. And the worst part of that is, as the RWBY fanbase, or any other, will tell you is that there is no consensus for what fans want. Look at the last 6 or so posts on Bumblebee as an example. If the goal is to cater to fans who don't want to see Jaune have a romantic attachment to anyone other than Pyhrra, what is to be said about the portion of fans that do? It's a no win situation that, once in, is nearly impossible to escape without ridicule.

SDBurton

Not trying to put words in your mouth so forgive me, but are you insinuating that a romance between Blake and Yang could/would not be natural? Not saying this about you but I feel that a number of people out there saying they can't see the pairing happening are simply refusing to acknowledge any teases that have been thrown to the pair. By no means am I saying this pairing is a given, because BlackSun could just as easily happen, but I feel as if Sun and Yang's roles were reversed and it was him telling Blake that he would save a dance for her with a wink, their fandom would be running to the bank with that evidence.

I'm just tired of the 'well he's a boy and she's a girl so it works (it's safe to do)' argument.

Geist-

Volume 4 hasn't had a DVD release in the UK yet, so this is second hand information here, but I'm lead to believe through Reddit that Kerry and Miles on commentary confessed that they intentionally altered a scene because of potential fan reactions. It's where Jaune comforts Ruby in Kuroyuri, originally (according to the Reddit post transcribing the commentary), Jaune and Ruby embraced after he told her she gave them courage, and the scene would silently transition back into Ren's childhood. They decided to alter the body language to where Jaune simply reaches out and holds her shoulder, before saying the same line, and the scene moving ahead. The reason being, they did not want there to be too much speculation on Jaune and Ruby being too close, as not to upset a core part of the fanbase.

It's stupid on multiple layers, for one, a hug is still a hug, and beyond shipping signs, it's one of the most heartfelt ways of expressing comfort, not necessarily attraction. Jaune hugging her there, whilst she questioned herself, stuck with a dying relative, that's relatable, not suggestive. Secondly, if the intention against this decision was that it didn't fit your character's arcs, say that. By suggesting the decision to change was to appease fans, you're already on a slippery slope to being dictated by their expectations. And the worst part of that is, as the RWBY fanbase, or any other, will tell you is that there is no consensus for what fans want. Look at the last 6 or so posts on Bumblebee as an example. If the goal is to cater to fans who don't want to see Jaune have a romantic attachment to anyone other than Pyhrra, what is to be said about the portion of fans that do? It's a no win situation that, once in, is nearly impossible to escape without ridicule.
I agree. I can only hope it doesn't become a common thing for them.

Not trying to put words in your mouth so forgive me, but are you insinuating that a romance between Blake and Yang could/would not be natural? Not saying this about you but I feel that a number of people out there saying they can't see the pairing happening are simply refusing to acknowledge any teases that have been thrown to the pair. By no means am I saying this pairing is a given, because BlackSun could just as easily happen, but I feel as if Sun and Yang's roles were reversed and it was him telling Blake that he would save a dance for her with a wink, their fandom would be running to the bank with that evidence.

I'm just tired of the 'well he's a boy and she's a girl so it works (it's safe to do)' argument.
I'm only saying that that seems to already be the direction that the creators are taking us. They're obviously trying to build up a bond between Blake and Sun, and Ren and Nora are practically platonic life partners.
I'm still expecting Ren to come out as gay,
but those two pairings seem to have the most signals out of any of the "ships" so far (besides PyrrhaxJaune of course).

Some folks will never support any same sex pairings, and honestly all the major pairings have multiple teases. Blake and yang is pretty complicated, as yang is seemingly only paired with Blake, while Blake has teased for both Yang and Sun.

Weiss and Ruby is more off the wall to me, as that seems more like a one sided friendship at times than anything romantic. Plus, I'm totally a Lancaster fan myself, it's straight up teased and really more delayed by survivors guilt than anything.

As for the two shorts for season five? Love them both so far, both do more to advance characters then a good chunk of season four.

SDBurton

I'm only saying that that seems to already be the direction that the creators are taking us. They're obviously trying to build up a bond between Blake and Sun, and Ren and Nora are practically platonic life partners.
I'm still expecting Ren to come out as gay,
but those two pairings seem to have the most signals out of any of the "ships" so far (besides PyrrhaxJaune of course).

I can definitely see the signals they have laid out for Blake and Sun, but here are some for Yang and Blake that I feel are important:

Pic 1: Yang was helping Blake deal with her stress/depression and suggested going to the dance would make her feel better. To give a little incentive Yang stated that if she did go, she'd save a dance for her, giving a suggestive wink while doing so.

Pic 2: Yang losing her cool and charging head on at Adam after seeing Blake had been wounded by him. Take notice of her eyes, not that they're red, but that they're welling up with tears.

Pic 3&4: The aftermath of the fight(lol) with Adam. Notice how Blake is holding Yang's hand, and notice the position of the individuals above them. Ren and Nora are positioned above Yang and Blake respectively and imo intentionally. I feel like Ren is supposed to represent the 'male' that is Yang while Nora is representing the 'female' that is Blake. To have one of the strongest pairings placed in this shot is no coincidence. To add on to that, the following shot shows Sun bearing witness to the display of affection that is shown here. If that wasn't enough, Sun himself name drops Yang in the following season saying that she (Yang) too would do anything to protect her (Blake).

Sorry for my rambling, just wanted to share my thoughts on this. lol

Kthulhu

Great short. I'm also really glad that we're past the days of sliding on ice running as well as whatever Cinder was doing on the rooftops in Volume 2...

gxzjvnnhwqalsgqxzavv.gif

Oh yeah. I'm gonna try and get a few of my friends who weren't into the animation and artstyle in season 1 to give it another chance.

caliph95

I can definitely see the signals they have laid out for Blake and Sun, but here are some for Yang and Blake that I feel are important:

Pic 1: Yang was helping Blake deal with her stress/depression and suggested going to the dance would make her feel better. To give a little incentive Yang stated that if she did go, she'd save a dance for her, giving a suggestive wink while doing so.

Pic 2: Yang losing her cool and charging head on at Adam after seeing Blake had been wounded by him. Take notice of her eyes, not that they're red, but that they're welling up with tears.

Pic 3&4: The aftermath of the fight(lol) with Adam. Notice how Blake is holding Yang's hand, and notice the position of the individuals above them. Ren and Nora are positioned above Yang and Blake respectively and imo intentionally. I feel like Ren is supposed to represent the 'male' that is Yang while Nora is representing the 'female' that is Blake. To have one of the strongest pairings placed in this shot is no coincidence. To add on to that, the following shot shows Sun bearing witness to the display of affection that is shown here. If that wasn't enough, Sun himself name drops Yang in the following season saying that she (Yang) too would do anything to protect her (Blake).

image.php

Geist-

I actually do think that Yang has feelings for Blake, I just think it will be romantically one-sided. Yang is always the instigator of each of those scenes. I'm not sure if that's the direction they want to take it, but if Yang was gay it would make for some interesting future drama if Blake wasn't.

I actually do think that Yang has feelings for Blake, I just think it will be romantically one-sided. Yang is always the instigator of each of those scenes. I'm not sure if that's the direction they want to take it, but if Yang was gay it would make for some interesting future drama if Blake wasn't.

Explains why I take it about as seriously as White Rose
(which is the superior ship)

SDBurton

Guilty as charged! lol

If this was to come to pass, my guess would be that Blake would ask her to give her some time to think about it. During which tumblr, reddit, etc would be an even bigger warzone than it is right now. lol

I do feel bad for the crew because they're going to catch major heat either way regardless of how this ends.

Guilty as charged! lol

If this was to come to pass, my guess would be that Blake would ask her to give her some time to think about it. During which tumblr, reddit, etc would be an even bigger warzone than it is right now. lol

I do feel bad for the crew because they're going to catch major heat either way regardless of how this ends.

Like I said, indulging in decision making primarily to please certain fans is going to bite you in the arse as a writer. If Bumblebee were to happen because of this, Black Sun shippers will be pissed, if we flip that shipping around the other one will be pissed. Leave the series without a defined relationship, and everyone is disappointed since Blake in particular is the most romantically charged character with three potential love interests (Yang, Sun, and, urgh, Adam).

If I were to suggest any relationship become part of the canon proper, it'd be Bumblebee. A lot of the more zealous on Tumblr can be venomous about character relations, regardless of if the a show makes a character straight, bi, gay etc. but a lot of the buzz and excitement generated online for shows that hint at alternative sexuality exist because there are decades worth of heterosexual relationships in pop media. For the common trope of demeaning Tumblr over this zealous attitude to gay characters (which I'm guilty of doing from time to time since romance is not what I usually look for in a show like RWBY), it's always worth remembering that gay couples in shows is still an exception, not the norm, and until it's perceived as such, I'll always have a disposition for seeing a gay couple come together.

What makes the love triangle with Blake, Yang and Sun so much more evocative is there are clear signs from both Yang and Sun about their feelings for Blake - hell, the Vol 4 OST has two songs dedicated to that premise. My only hope this isn't a proxy 'you, the fans, decide' and then write the chosen romance accordingly. It kinda demeans the ground-work they've done with both.

Head canon now is, if Blake and Sun are taking it to the WF, and Ilia is still a presence in Blake/Sun's adventure, I can see there being more confrontations with her and Sun...

Yeah, walking around a hellish realm where the Grimm are born will do that.

I do like the idea that he's been put into his place a lot more, whether or not he's accepted it. Mercury came across as too aloof in the 2nd and 3rd volume, as if he's the be all and end all with regards to the villains of RWBY, whereas here it reinforces the idea the guy is still a kid, not much older (if at all) than the rest of the students, and whether or not he wants to admit it, he's well and truly out of his comfort zone. I can see something happening to him in the future, whether he's given a task by Salem or Cinder specifically, fails and is punished to the point where it makes Emerald bail. I can't see him rising the ranks of this crowd, so his overall relevance now is kinda reserved for maybe getting a grudge re-match with either Yang or Ruby.

I'm curious about Raven's role in this impending conflict with Salem? Will she become an ally or will she become the next major villain?

Depends on how her clan is involved. If they come into conflict with Salem I could see an uneasy alliance with our heroes. If they join her then I could see her being a villain.

I feel like either she's going to get a "redemption equals death" moment, or stays a antagonist and give Yang an "I already have a mother" scene.

What I want to know is how someone as aloof as her apparently was able to go to school and have a relationship with someone.

Yang seems to be pretty flirtatious with box sexes to be honest. Remember back in S1 she was quite pleased by the boys in the class wide slumber party, and in her yellow trailer pre-series. .

Then again, I knew a friend in jrh/highschool who was like that, only to marry another woman later in life.

I personally see Blake as more the pure lesbian type, as she seems more or less annoyed by Sun's constant attempts at courtship. It's just well, with all the stuff going on in her life, I'm not sure she's given a whole lot of thought to romance as a major topic.

As for whiterose
can't see it, it seems like ruby just wants a friend, and weiss is all about that arctic ocean.

Yang seems to be pretty flirtatious with box sexes to be honest. Remember back in S1 she was quite pleased by the boys in the class wide slumber party, and in her yellow trailer pre-series. .

Then again, I knew a friend in jrh/highschool who was like that, only to marry another woman later in life.

I personally see Blake as more the pure lesbian type, as she seems more or less annoyed by Sun's constant attempts at courtship. It's just well, with all the stuff going on in her life, I'm not sure she's given a whole lot of thought to romance as a major topic.

As for whiterose
can't see it, it seems like ruby just wants a friend, and weiss is all about that arctic ocean.

Blake seemed to be affectionate to Sun after there match against NDGO in the tournament and at the end of voulme 4. I still think if she ends up with anyone it will be Sun.

As much as I love it Whiterose has almost no chance at happening. Ruby just doesn't strike me as being interested in a relationship.

Blake seemed to be affectionate to Sun after there match against NDGO in the tournament and at the end of voulme 4. I still think if she ends up with anyone it will be Sun.

As much as I love it Whiterose has almost no chance at happening. Ruby just doesn't strike me as being interested in a relationship.

It isn't going to be Sun. Blake might hook up with him temporarily, but there's no chance he's her endgame romance. Narratively speaking, Black Sun is essentially the Harry Potter/Cho Chang or Marco/Jackie of RWBY romances. It's a mid-story temp romance.

I wrote an analysis almost a year ago about how the whole Yang/Blake/Adam storyline seems to be drawing parallels with the dynamic of the Beast, Belle and Gaston in Disney's film adaptation. This stuff is rather intentional and I doubt we've seen the last of Yang's involvement with the Adam storyline.

My guess is this will be what happens: We see a Yang-Blake-Sun love triangle in the next volume or two, culminating with Blake rejecting Sun and hooking up with Yang. Sun then ends up having a rebound romance with a redeemed Ilia over the subsequent volumes.

In today's RWBY Chibi, we learned the name of Yang's motorcycle

It's Bumbleby

Saw it, (the FIRST one, you mean, the YT one had the Mystery Bunch today). I think that was the first time the name was ever used in show, but I could be wrong there, but Bumblebee was the name the crew gave her motorcycle way back in Vol 1. I can't recall whether 'Bumblebee' the pairing name, and 'Bumblebee' the bike name came quite first, but they both popped up early into the series life.

It's gotta be confusing for Yang if you mention Bumblebee; the bike, the team attack, or the ship?

Saw it, (the FIRST one, you mean, the YT one had the Mystery Bunch today). I think that was the first time the name was ever used in show, but I could be wrong there, but Bumblebee was the name the crew gave her motorcycle way back in Vol 1. I can't recall whether 'Bumblebee' the pairing name, and 'Bumblebee' the bike name came quite first, but they both popped up early into the series life.

It's gotta be confusing for Yang if you mention Bumblebee; the bike, the team attack, or the ship?

The one use I remember for Bumblebee in the series was the team attack, back during the fight against Torchwick's next in Volume 2. All of the team attacks were Ship names.

Just saw the short, that was pretty good. I can't wait for volume 5, I need my
Bumbleby
reunion.

Found this on Tumblr LOL:

tumblr_ovcdxvV9ss1s3vb4xo1_540.png

See, this sort of thing is why I am happy to be shipping neutral in this show. Instead of worrying about who will end up with, I can just enjoy the show and the ships battling out from a safe distance.

Did not know that. Looking into it, it seems like it was only mentioned on a Q&A stream, and this is the first time it's been named in an episode of either series.

A lot of stuff on the show is like that. Have any of the weapons besides Crescent Rose been named? Because just about all the main characters weapons are named.

NPR would be neat. Just skip the J.

Agreed, this roster isn't going to be nearly large enough for gimmicky characters like Jaune (as he is now). To this end, I'd probably drop Ren too, since there are too many similarities between his fighting style and Blake's, and given his semblance doesn't strictly benefit him in a fight not involving Grimm, he doesn't add any real variety there either.

RWBY should be a given. Then Phyrra, Penny, Sun, Cinder, Mercury and Qrow. Anything above 10 won't be happening given ArcS work being spread out to other projects, and - based on the fact Ruby is in her Beacon Arc attire - this is the most varied list of cast members that would translate well to a fighting game up until the end of Vol 3, since all of them have a decent amount of screentime in which to give ArcS something to work with.

I'd be happy dropping any of them for Torchwick or Neo, mind you.

So who do you guys hope will get in Cross Tag Battle?

I'm expecting at least RWBY but I hope JNPR makes it as well.

Well, as of Fan Expo Canada at the end of August, only Ruby is in the game so far. ‎Lindsay Jones‎ said she has only done voice for the trailer. Time will tell if anything changes.

Well, as of Fan Expo Canada at the end of August, only Ruby is in the game so far. ‎Lindsay Jones‎ said she has only done voice for the trailer. Time will tell if anything changes.

The last interview with Famitsu seemed to suggest RWBY was a major part of the crossover but we should get a better idea soon at TGS.

VA in and of itself is usually done later into development in most games, so I can imagine she was brought in to purely read for that trailer, and will be called back once the roster has been fully designed.

As far as getting any official announcement, Mori said the cast was more or less set, but ArcS were open to listening to fans, hence why it was announced so early. That'd explain why Ruby was the only cast member shown, since this game must be a while away, makes sense since most of their effort right now is/should be going into DBFZ.

Though, there is speculation - given how they admit the majority of the roster is decided - that we're gonna see reveals starting this month, though no guarantee it'll be RWBY related, since there's a lot of speculation on BB, Undernight, Persona casts as well.

So who do you guys hope will get in Cross Tag Battle?

I'm expecting at least RWBY but I hope JNPR makes it as well.

With this being part of a four way crossover, I'm not expecting more than Team RWBY.

If it was a pure RWBY fighter, I could probably rattle off a lust of two dozen likely characters.

As much as i've love to see a ton of RWBY characters in the game, i'm bettring it's just team RWBY itself. Really depends on the total cast size, and how many per game get the nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom