• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Reynolds paid out of pocket so Deadpool writers could be on set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litan

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/ryan-reynolds-ponied-cash-keep-000000336.html

On the latest episode of AMC’s Geeking Out, Deadpool screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick revealed that, when Fox refused to pay them to be on-set during production, the film’s marquee star (and former “Sexiest Man Alive”) ponied up the dough to make sure they were available to lend their creative input. As they say in the above clip:

“We were on set every day. Interestingly, Ryan wanted us there. We were on the project for six years. It was really a core creative team of us, Ryan, and the director Tim Miller. Fox, interestingly, wouldn’t pay for us to be on set. Ryan Reynolds paid out of his own money, out of his own pocket.”

If there was any doubt how well deserved Deadpool's success was...

Veelk

Banned
Ryan Reynolds is a stand up guy and a real visionary with his dedication to making Deadpool as good as possible.

You can really see how much of a passion project it was for Reynolds, Miller, Reese and Wernick. Very happy it was hugely successful.

Hey Fox, pay your writers for this sorta stuff next time.

Another (of many) reason to like Ryan Reynolds. Stand up guy/glad he's Canadian.

What he posted about his friend -- the child who saw Deadpool first and unfortunately passed away from cancer not long after -- really touched me.

shira

Man I love Ryan Reynolds

He needed this movie to be amazing. He wasn't flushing his career for another Green Lantern.

I would love to be in his brain at the time.

"You know what fuck it, let's go all in. Let's make this movie fucking amazing and makeup for the last two. Money is money, but this is my fucking legacy. You can't put a price on that."

They chopped the budget pretty hard on the film guys, it's not really surprising

I still lol that the dudes who came up with the Joe Schmo Show & Zombieland wrote Deadpool too

liquidtmd

Banned
Between this and other shit like Fox cutting their budget at the last possible minute before filming, I'm curious as to how Fox will go about sabotaging Deadpool 2.

Everything I've ever seen about Ryan Reynolds makes me love him. I just wish he was in better films. Green Lantern and RIPD are such a poor showcase for someone who is genuinely funny and charming. Actually, I sort of assumed he was just a real-life Van Wilder until I saw his interview on Top Gear and it was one of the best interviews I've ever seen. He's just so effortlessly charming and naturally funny and he ends up in the worst things! Thank God for Deadpool for being a great showcase for a great entertainer. And good on Ryan Reynolds for supporting the writers; he's a stand-up guy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
unpopular opinion here: Ryan Reynolds is certainly a good guy and a perfect Deadpool, but we have to be honest when talking about him going 'all out' for this role. He had to.

So I give him credit for being a nice guy and getting these writers on set, but when you have as many flops as he has, you pull out all the stops. Good for him. But recognize this was probably his last big chance to do something great. Now he'll get more.

He needed this movie to be amazing. He wasn't flushing his career for another Green Lantern.

I would love to be in his brain at the time.

"You know what fuck it, let's go all in. Let's make this movie fucking amazing and makeup for the last two. Money is money, but this is my fucking legacy. You can't put a price on that."

Exactly

Dude should be applauded for investing in creative though for sure, even if it wasn't solely because he's a cool guy.

styl3s

Now if only we could find some people as passionate about the X-Men franchise.

I can't thank Ryan and everyone involved enough for bringing me a great movie based on a character i have loved for almost 20 years.

FyreWulff

well, considering their last attempt was a tire fire, Fox probably viewed it as a "let's just get this over with" project

ezekial45

Banned
Between this and other shit like Fox cutting their budget at the last possible minute before filming, I'm curious as to how Fox will go about sabotaging Deadpool 2.
To me, the worst thing they could do is to give DP2 a massive budget. A lot of the best jokes and scenes were a result of the small budget, which benefited the movie overall. Not saying it should have the same budget as the original, but being anywhere near Xmen apocalypse would be a mistake.

https://youtu.be/X0q4YiCNG2o

unpopular opinion here: Ryan Reynolds is certainly a good guy and a perfect Deadpool, but we have to be honest when talking about him going 'all out' for this role. He had to.

So I give him credit for being a nice guy and getting these writers on set, but when you have as many flops as he has, you pull out all the stops. Good for him. But recognize this was probably his last big chance to do something great. Now he'll get more.

I don't really see how that's unpopular, unless you don't think we should be giving him props for delivering a good film by going balls to the wall for it.

The Mule

I worry that the next Deadpool won't be as good because now it has shown potential to be a successful money maker, execs will assert their influence where it's not wanted/needed.

The first one probably benefitted from execs being more hands off and less invested in it, allowing the creative talent to steer the project where they wanted.

golem

Sounds like the top brass at Fox needs to be replaced, but ironically they wont be because of the success of the movie they tried to bury

Grinchy

Banned
I'm worried about the sequel. With it making so much money, Fox will see it as a project that must make money again, and will try to be in control. And that will fuck up the whole flow that made the first one so good.

I like that the guys also said that they don't want a big budget for the sequel, they just want to be allowed to make the movie their way like they did the first time.

The only thing FOX should be doing with this franchise is letting those 4 handle it and trying their best to recognize why it was so much more successful than any of their joyless, self serious, black leather X-Men films.

I worry that the next Deadpool won't be as good because now it has shown potential to be a successful money maker, execs will assert their influence where it's not wanted/needed.

The first one probably benefitted from execs being more hands off and less invested in it, allowing the creative talent to steer the project where they wanted.
do executives ever not ruin movies? why do they ever feel the need to intervene on the creatives?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
this isn't common practice? seems like a good, rational idea considering the collaborative nature of filmmaking.

Screenwriters are almost never involved in a film after they turn in their draft. One of the first lesson to learn when writing movies is that what you write will often have no bearing on what ends up on the screen. It's also why blaming the screenwriter for terrible storytelling is usually a mistake, unless you see the same problems crop up repeatedly in a particular writer's work (David Goyer, Roberto Orci).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom