• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan Reynolds paid out of pocket so Deadpool writers could be on set

Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels like it should be standard practice to have the screenwriters be on set, since filmmaking is quite collaborative and making changes on the fly is part of the process.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I love Just Friends haha! One of the more underrated comedies imo. Hard to believe that shit came out over 10 years ago.

sappyday

Awesome. Deadpool is a very special case where I honestly think you can't switch the main actor and have it be as successful as it was. Reynolds, the writers, and the director are all key part to it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
this isn't common practice? seems like a good, rational idea considering the collaborative nature of filmmaking.

Writers have no real power when it comes to features, unless they also happen to be the director and/or producer. Half the time the finished product will only bear passing resemblance to whatever the original script was.

TV, on the other hand, is the writers' world. They have all the power there. You generally can't change a single word of a writer's work on TV without their blessing.

Wellscha

I love how the narrative changed from "Hollywood, stop trying to make Ryan Reynolds happen. you've been trying for 10 years now" into "Ryan Reynolds is awesome!".

Pluto

While it's nice Reynold's did this I can see why Sony wasn't willing to pay for them to be on set, the director is in charge of the script as soon as production actually starts.

duckroll

Ryan Reynolds is a cool guy, but this isn't charity. As a producer on the film and one of the driving forces behind it, it was in his best interest to pay for stuff the studio didn't want to, if he felt it would make the film better. He wasn't paying for these guys to show up and party every day just because. He was paying them to do a job. It's great that he did, because it probably helped make the film better.

Keanu Reeves on the other hand took his Matrix bonuses or something, and used it to pay out bike gifts for everyone on the VFX team. That's charity.

I hadn't really watched any of Ryan Reynolds' movies aside from Green Lantern, and that one was terrible.

Deadpool really redeemed him in my eyes.

Ryan Reynolds is a cool guy, but this isn't charity. As a producer on the film and one of the driving forces behind it, it was in his best interest to pay for stuff the studio didn't want to, if he felt it would make the film better. He wasn't paying for these guys to show up and party every day just because. He was paying them to do a job. It's great that he did, because it probably helped make the film better.

Keanu Reeves on the other hand took his Matrix bonuses or something, and used it to pay out bike gifts for everyone on the VFX team. That's charity.

Keanu Reeves is a saint. I guess that makes Ryan Reynolds like an apostle.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They chopped the budget pretty hard on the film guys, it's not really surprising

I still lol that the dudes who came up with the Joe Schmo Show & Zombieland wrote Deadpool too

I will always love that they took away money for the last action scene, and they wrote it into the film with that amazing "left my guns in the taxi" scene.

Reynolds just improvised his way out of every shitty exec meddle.

The difference is putting your own money into a movie is the number one thing you never do as an actor,producer or director its basically like throwing it into the air your not likely to ever see it again. Keanu giving his bonuses is nice and all but he didn't really take a gamble, his agent probably worked an insane deal for him to even get any backend.

do executives ever not ruin movies? why do they ever feel the need to intervene on the creatives?

Because their careers are on the line; they want to produce as many hits as possible because they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars or more every year and it becomes hard to simply let go and trust the people involved.

unpopular opinion here: Ryan Reynolds is certainly a good guy and a perfect Deadpool, but we have to be honest when talking about him going 'all out' for this role. He had to.

So I give him credit for being a nice guy and getting these writers on set, but when you have as many flops as he has, you pull out all the stops. Good for him. But recognize this was probably his last big chance to do something great. Now he'll get more.

You say this as if he would have done a bad job if he didn't have to?

He's been wanting to make this movie for over a decade. He would have given his all no matter what stage in his career it had happened.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Because their careers are on the line; they want to produce as many hits as possible because they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars or more every year and it becomes hard to simply let go and trust the people involved.

Exactly, but it's not just movies. Executives and managers tend to forget why they hired people in the first place.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I worry that the next Deadpool won't be as good because now it has shown potential to be a successful money maker, execs will assert their influence where it's not wanted/needed.

The first one probably benefitted from execs being more hands off and less invested in it, allowing the creative talent to steer the project where they wanted.

The first one made shitloads with a small budget, if they only moderately increase the budget they might stay hands-off.

Zakalwe

Banned
RR really does seem to be a genuinely great person. Really happy for Deadpool's success, guy deserves it after GL and Wolverine's butchering of DP...

Nephtis

Fox basically did the bare minimum and gave as little support as possible to get this film done.

If only Fox would follow this formula for every movie they release. Just give them the money and let the people figure out the rest for themselves.

Busty

Banned
Ryan Reynolds is a stand up guy and a real visionary with his dedication to making Deadpool as good as possible.

77971-marty-mcfly-WHAT-gif-zkEh.gif

wildfire

Banned
They chopped the budget pretty hard on the film guys, it's not really surprising

I still lol that the dudes who came up with the Joe Schmo Show & Zombieland wrote Deadpool too

If you actually watched a lot of reality TV shows you would realize Joe Schmo was a smartly executed parody.

I've liked Ryan Reynolds since Just Friends and Definitely, Maybe. I didn't know why he ended up in flops after that, but I was really excited to see Deadpool and am glad it was so successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom