• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day until the end of october

Osahi

Just in case, how can I make them to pay for my alternative flight at another company with minimal hassle? What's the smartest way to approach them when a flight is cancelled?

There should be a complaint form/refund form on their website. Or you contact their customer service. They will probably be flooded though, so it might take a while. The offer for a refund or a new flight with them should be in the mail they send you if your flight gets cancelled.

Neo C.

There should be a complaint form/refund form on their website. Or you contact their customer service. They will probably be flooded though, so it might take a while. The offer for a refund or a new flight with them should be in the mail they send you if your flight gets cancelled.
A refund doesn't help much, a new flight with them is bad as well, because for some destinations they only have one flight a day and the sunday off. If my flight is cancelled, I need them to pay me a (much more expensive) flight of a competitor.

Osahi

A refund doesn't help much, a new flight with them is bad as well, because for some destinations they only have one flight a day and the sunday off. If my flight is cancelled, I need them to pay me a (much more expensive) flight of a competitor.

Then you should ask for the refund. Book with another airline and file for a refund on the expenses you made (= the difference in price with the other airline). I linked to the European rules in the OP. I think you'd best check there to see what your rights are and what you can do. The site is pretty thorough without bombarding you with legalese...

Ryanair are pretty garbage but I use them regularly for short distance flights. They're usually just so much cheaper that Indont mind putting up with the no-frillsness for a couple of hours. I literally just got off a Ryanair flight to Dublin from Madrid. Didn't know all this malarkey was going down until I landed.

Cappa

Banned
weird, never had a problem with Ryanair....

just because theyre cheap doesnt mean their planes are made out of cardboard lol

ty_hot

Amazing how lots of people think they fly without enough fuel lol. There are plenty of regulations regarding fuel, if your plane doesnt meet the requirements then you are not even taking off. This included fuel to the destination + fuel to be used while you are waiting to land + extra fuel to go to a secondary airport in case of emergency. Once I flew Budapest-Warsaw, very quick flight, we got there it was snowing so much that we were flying around the airport for more than the actual flight time up to that point waiting... Ofc we had enough fuel for that.

Anyone that book 2 consecutive flights with different airlines is aware that *** shit happens ***. You know that if your first flight is delayed you are screwed lol. Cant complain about that.

Lots of "dont book cheap airlines" posts. Yeah, because paying 200 for a one way flight is fine for everybody. People book it because otherwise they wouldn't even be travelling. It's not like Ryanair passengers are the same guys that travel Fly Emirates or Air France.

Joni

Don't book with these shitty low price airlines

Not worth it

Unless you just want a nice direct flight. Flying Lufthanse is nice for instance, but it is kinda stupid that I have to fly Brussels to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Dublin when Frankfurt to Dublin involves flying over Brussels. Ryanair at least gives direct flights. Even with an hour delay it was faster to fly Ryanair.

I dont care how cheap it is, the service is fucking terrible.

I fly aer lingus now where I can. No room yo complain about ryanair when it's well known a s the cheapo shit airline.

You get what you pay for

nbcjr

Only way to get compensation from Ryanair is by suing. They won't pay for anything just by filling out forms.

Just_one

Flying with them for the first time on Jan 18th 2018 going from Lisbon to Rome and back on Jan 22nd...

Hope everything works out fine

Auctopus

Flown with them a few times and has always been decent and reliable. They are a budget airline so I'm not sure if people were expecting to be wined and dined.

This situation is shit though and just reeks of bad managment.

Nevasleep

I don't enjoy flying with low cost carriers, I can usually get a decent price flying from Heathrow too (2/3hrs away for me) if no other airlines are flying locally.

rickyson1

why did Ireland roll out this law in the middle of September instead of at the start of the year anyways? seems like these problems could have been easily avoided

why did Ireland roll out this law in the middle of September instead of at the start of the year anyways? seems like these problems could have been easily avoided
They didn't. Ryanair changed their fiscal year from April-March to Jan-Dec which is causing some,of the problems. They've also lost a load of pilots to Norwegian Air. Ryanair have known about this upcoming problem for a long time.

danthefan

Tbh it's probably nothing to do with the law. They're losing pilots to rivals, the pilots they do have are running up their annual hours, they need more pilots basically.

Because other companies dont?
So much hate for Ryanair.

There's an app you can check in on, it's very simple. This thread is full of bullshit. The flight cancellations are not excusable at all but people trying to portray them as unsafe, don't carry enough fuel, planes taped together is just rubbish. FAKE NEWS even.

I've flown with them 3 or 4 times on a few relatively short (3.5 hours flights).
They're ok and I've yet to have a probelm worse than a 30 min delay so far. #touchwood
That said, this fiasco is a total shitshow.

Part of it was they left it this late to fix a forseeable problem, and the other part was cancelling flights with such little notice.

Doing Manchester to Barcelona with them next month for a week away, I hope we're not affected :(

They are the worst flights imaginable though, really cheap and tacky interiors on their planes. No pocket in front of you so they can save money on not having to clear them out etc. And a really annoying trumpet fanfare when you land. It's also typically like sitting with the cast of Jeremy Kyle when you're on board.

I only booked with them because we were looking for a cheap holiday break after having to cut our last one short. I'd normally avoid them though.

Canadian

I've flown a lot on Ryanair since I've been in Europe. At least over 20 times, and I've never had a major issue. Once my flight had been delayed by an hour, but I think that was the worst. I get really nervous on flights, so no matter what airline I would be flying on I would still be anxious but I've never felt like there was a mechanical issue on a Ryanair flight. They have cheap flights and for the 2 hours I need to fly I don't need anything fancy besides getting from A to B safely. I once flew from Paris to Pisa for 9£ ($12), that was pretty awesome.

Them cancelling flights for 400,000 is a really big issue though, and I hope the people affected get some kind of compensation.

StuKen

There has been no changes to laws relating to annual leave since 2015 and those changes only really effect leave accrual while sick.

These cancellations are down to ryanair not having enough pilots or cabin crew to run their fleet. They treat their staff even worse than the customers and thanks to those policies they have lost 140 pilots this year with most going to norwegian.

They are trying to spin this as a problem that others have causes but this is entirely on them. Catastrophic basic mismanagement that if they understood why people let alone staff have so much animosity towards them could have foreseen. But as usual they cut and cut and cut to the bone until they cant even get people to work for them. I'm surprised they aren't spinning this as a positive given the biggest expense for any airline is the plane in the air burning fuel. They're saving millions.

I only tend to fly short distance (Liverpool to Dublin and back) is only about half an hour, but its still a travesty. I was getting a flight back from Liverpool 2 weeks ago and the gate was supposed to close at 7.45, take off by 8.25, we were left standing round in the terminal till half 9, then about an hour to get everyone and their shit onto the plane, didn't take off till close to 11. Can't imagine a longer flight, must be awful.

I assume they got you on in time to avoid the 3 hour mandatory claim?

As an American, I'm still stuck on the part in the OP discussing mandatory vacation days. Most American jobs don't have mandatory vacations as a benefit.

Shiggy

Why people still fly with this dogshit airline is beyond me. Michael O'Leary is a complete wanker as well.

Price, and depending on the routes, a lack of alternatives.

And honestly, if it's a 1-3 hour flight, it doesn't really matter. With other airlines you aren't getting much better service these days either. Air France and Lufthansa can keep their awful sandwiches.

RangerX

Banned
Price.

Flying with them on Friday, hopefully it's not cancelled.

Does price literally trump every single other factor like quality of flying service, how they treat their staff and their horrid customer service? I get if your a person or family living on the breadline but I'd spend the extra twenty or thirty quid rather than fly with Ryanair.

Ryanair sounds a lot like Flylo from Come Fly With Me...

Is this their CEO?

ucbn0tungy9d4ogr58xh.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
Why people still fly with this dogshit airline is beyond me. Michael O'Leary is a complete wanker as well.

Put it this way. I love to travel and visit Europe couple times a year for leisure. Low-budget airlines allows me to do this without breaking the bank or resorting to take a bus/train and wasting time travelling. I'd rather fly on low-budget airlines then save up/spend stupid money to fly to the same destination on conventional airlines especially when they're less than 5 hours. I'll wisely spend that kinda money on long-distance flights.

Does price literally trump every single other factor like quality of flying service, how they treat their staff and their horrid customer service? I get if your a person or family living on the breadline but I'd spend the extra twenty or thirty quid rather than fly with Ryanair.

It's often not £20 or £30 though. It's often £100 or £150. Big enough by itself but then multiply by four for a family...And even then they fly routes that are often more convenient then the alternatives. I often fly to my Dad's place in the Dordogne. The best route is by Ryanair, Stansted to Bergerac. One year I got annoyed with going to fucking boring Stansted and Ryanair gouging and flew BA from Gatwick to Bordeaux, which was another hour's drive on the other end. Gatwick was shit, BA was almost as shit as Ryanair and the plane was delayed, which meant that the hirecar office where i had booked a car had closed when I got there and I had to spend £300 hiring a car which I then I had to drive back the next day in a four hour round trip...AND it was more expensive. Ryanair are rarely delayed.

Next time I'm flying Ryanair.

danthefan

If it was 20 or 30 quid then maybe but a lot of the time it isn't.

Last time I flew with them the flights were half the price of the only other option I had. The flight was on time, I had no bad experiences at all, why on Earth wouldn't I fly with them again?

SKINNER!

Banned

The difference never tends to be between twenty or thirty quid. Fly to europe on BA for around £150 to £200 economy or fly with Ryanair for £50/£80. If you got heavy big luggage with you then yeah, you'll probably end up paying the same amount on Ryanair as you would with BA. But if you're travelling light (no checked luggage etc.) then why spend the extra £££ for a shitty airline like BA. You're going to the same airport, travel time is identical assuming no delays...not that BA guarantees you no delays anyway. You aren't going to get a better service, you aren't going to get "extra leg room" and you certainly aren't going to get better food (or any if you're lucky. They stopped serving free sandwiches on some of their short routes). Ok ryanair charges you for food too but hey! its a cheap flight..I'll just bring my own food. With the price you pay for BA, the least they can do is give you something worthwhile. So yeah...no brainer really.

Violet_0

Banned
Don't book with these shitty low price airlines

Not worth it

I take relative discomfort for an hour or so over paying 10 times the price of the ticket for the same route, thank you

I've had to travel quite a bit across Europe with shitty budget long distances buses recently (up to 20 hours crammed into seats with tiny leg space), flying with the cheap airlines is a damn luxury in comparsion

Kinda silly to make it illegal, no? My job allows for cashing out at any given time, so if I dont use my 5 weeks during the year (I never do) I can randomly cash out a few days here or there for a nice little bump to my check.
No. I'd rather the time off. It's better for you. If you don't use them they can be used within 6 months of year end. That's only for the 4 weeks mandatory holidays set out by the government. For any additional days they're at the discretion of the company.

As an American, I'm still stuck on the part in the OP discussing mandatory vacation days. Most American jobs don't have mandatory vacations as a benefit.
Everyone working full time here gets minimum 4 weeks holidays. Most give more, and that's in addition to the 9 public holidays.

If it was only 20 quid more to not fly with them I wouldn't, but it's usually a fair deal more.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Because some people cant afford better, why is that hard to understand? In the US I would never ever fly Spirit Airlines, but I understand why some people have to.

Portugeezer

Well my girlfriend and I were hit by this.

In Berlin atm, supposed to be from Wednesday and flying back yesterday but we found out on Thursday night that our flight was cancelled, got the email at 11pm.

We could get a refund or pick a new flight for free, however they only do one flight a day and the Sunday flight was fully booked. Monday it was... So we had to scramble around at midnight booking a new hotel for the additional two nights.

It pretty unbelievable what they're doing and how much it's going to cost them because they WILL be paying every single passenger compensation which is €250 for short haul flights (under 1500km) and significantly more if it's over that. To leave your customers stranded for additional days abroad at the drop of a hat like that when they obviously knew this was coming is fucking atrocious. My back of a napkin calculations figure this could cost them 100 million or thereabouts just for the basic compensation. If they are forced to pay for people's hotels, which I really feel they should, then way more...

Their prices are great and so far we've not had problems but I doubt we'll be flying again after this.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay some fine from the government, this is terrible.

Top Bottom