• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day until the end of october

Shiggy

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay some fine from the government, this is terrible.

Rumour has it that Ryanair speculates on AirBerlin being unable to continue operations in the very short-term. In that case, Air Berlin's take off and landing rights would be available to other airlines. However, airlines who want these rights would need to be able to make use of them immediately. Ryanair only has the necessary machines through cancelling other flights.

Joni

Rumour has it that Ryanair speculates on AirBerlin being unable to continue operations in the very short-term. In that case, Air Berlin's take off and landing rights would be available to other airlines. However, airlines who want these rights would need to be able to make use of them immediately. Ryanair only has the necessary machines through cancelling other flights.

Even with EasyJet and Lufthansa being frontrunners in the bidding process?

Osahi

Don't book with these shitty low price airlines

Not worth it

If you fly alot, it can be. It often can be a price difference of up to or over a 100 euro's for the same route. That's a lot of things you can do extra on holiday with it, or could mean the difference bewteen being able to afford a holiday and not if you fly with multiple people.

Usually it's also okay to fly with them. If you fly with carry on lugage and print your boarding pass at home (which everybody does now anyway) you won't have any hassle. Yes, they have a little less legroom and their cabine crew constantly tries to sell you things, but for the money you save that's not a dealbreaker. If I the price difference isn't too big I do book at other companies though, as on the route I take often (Brussels-Lisbon) the departing hours of TAP and Brussels Airlines are more convenient and the service is generally better with them. (Brussels Airlines also offers cheaper seats with only cabin lugage)

But the stuff Ryanair pulls know is absolutely terrible. I'm flying in seven days and I still have no clue if my flight will depart.

sphinx

the piano man
Yep, my friends' flight Madrid-Hamburg on friday 22nd just got cancelled...

we still could re-schedule for the next day on saturday early morning, which will probably save our asses....

now if that one get's cancelled, we can't do anything else and we'll cancel our presentation.

please wish us luck gaf...

sphinx

the piano man
and just 20 minutes later, that flight, the saturday one, is already sold out.

If I had gone to the gym, like I should have
if I had decided to go with a friend,
if I had gone buy groceries like I should
if I had not been on my laptop, internet and phone beside me

someone extremely terrible would have happened here...

I really need sleeping pill right now.

Joni

It's not about the bidding process apparently. It's more about rumours of Air Berlin running out of money before they are sold.
I kinda assumed preference would be given to those bidding as it would seem part of the value.

ty_hot

If you fly alot, it can be. It often can be a price difference of up to or over a 100 euro's for the same route. That's a lot of things you can do extra on holiday with it, or could mean the difference bewteen being able to afford a holiday and not if you fly with multiple people.

Usually it's also okay to fly with them. If you fly with carry on lugage and print your boarding pass at home (which everybody does now anyway) you won't have any hassle. Yes, they have a little less legroom and their cabine crew constantly tries to sell you things, but for the money you save that's not a dealbreaker. If I the price difference isn't too big I do book at other companies though, as on the route I take often (Brussels-Lisbon) the departing hours of TAP and Brussels Airlines are more convenient and the service is generally better with them. (Brussels Airlines also offers cheaper seats with only cabin lugage)

But the stuff Ryanair pulls know is absolutely terrible. I'm flying in seven days and I still have no clue if my flight will depart.
You are losing time explaining why a company that constantly sells tickets under 50 (if you are lucky under 30) while other companies sell for 150+ is worth it in a place where some users call the other ones "broke" because they think 350 dollars on a wallet is too much.

Nevasleep

the 22nd, my collegues are flying Madrid - Hamburg with ryanair and we need to hold a presentation during the weekend.

if it gets cancelled we are soooo fucked..

got a couple of job meetings cancelled due to this

god bless them

What of kind of companies do you work for? Is it common for people flying for work to use Ryanair now? I guess whatever is easiest.
At my last workplace I couldn't book Ryanair/Easyjet as they weren't on the travel booking system.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
So I've flown Spirit in the US, which is pretty bad, but only like Greyhound bus bad (one of my flights had a used sick bag still on the floor in front of my feet). Anyone here flown both Spirit and Ryanair? Which one's worse lol?

I got caught out by this on Friday before it had fully got out how bad they messed up. Should have been flying Friday morning and got a text at 10pm on the Thursday to say it had been cancelled, all their customer services were closed at that point as well which was probably intentional.

Ended up changing it for a Saturday morning flight and taking a hit on the extra day accommodation I didn't need and redundant train/bus tickets.

But yeah, terrible company and will put me off using them again. And their alternative flight I looked at for the Friday morning which was sold out ended up losing a wheel and doing an emergency landing so shit is just not going right for them.

Yeah, you get what you pay for.

Stop supporting such a shitty airline.

There are other airlines that are slightly more expensive than Spirit and Ryanair but treat their passengers way better. You don't have to go broke to fly, and you do not have to be treated like absolute shit either.

Condom

I will never understand flying with Ryanair. I'd rather just not fly at all and save up money for a good company.

klonere

Banned
Used Ryanair tons, obnoxious as all hell but as either part of a family flying or alone as a student, it was the obvious option. Don't really remember having all that many issues. Like guys, people have budgets. Either my family goes with Ryanair or we don't go at all. Either I get to visit my friends in Glasgow or I don't see them at all. The price differences are pretty stark most of the time.

This seems like a pretty awful way of dealing with a problem and I'm glad I'm not planning on flying this holiday.

But Ryanair have captive audience everywhere and are a total juggernaut in European air travel. So long as the price is right they can kind of do anything they want.

O'Leary is a cunt but he'd probably be elected Prime Minister/Taioseach if he ran in Ireland.

I will never understand flying with Ryanair. I'd rather just not fly at all and save up money for a good company.

Because if I'm flying to England, which I do a few times a year, I can get return flights for anywhere between £15 and £30. I don't see the point in saving up to pay more for a flight that takes less than an hour.

Jumeira

Banned

Yep. I just cant do budget flights. Happy to wait a little longer so i can fly Emirates. I understand that peoples tolerance is probably alot higher then mine for comfort though.

Gandie

Not flying is not an option sometimes. I'd rather endure their shitty service than not see my friends, family and girlfriend, because I can't afford the ticket with Lufthansa.

AllGamer

My girlfriend is studying a year abroad. With Ryanair I can visit her for 26€, round trip! It's only a 2 hour flight so why should I spend more money?

My biggest problem with Ryanair is that they are usually flying from pretty remote airports, at least here in Sweden and some places I visited. And when you have to pay an extra 4*20 euros to go to and from the airport it is rarely worth the extra time it takes even though it might still be a bit cheaper.

The mist annoying thing though, is that they tend to place people apart from each other even though you book together and then offer you to pay extra to sit together. I dont really mind it since it just a couple of hours but it screams pity.

Lagamorph

The mist annoying thing though, is that they tend to place people apart from each other even though you book together and then offer you to pay extra to sit together. I dont really mind it since it just a couple of hours but it screams pity.
Watchdog did a segment on this in their last series actually. Ryanair denied it but the watchdog tests said it was almost statistically impossible for it to be a coincidence every time.

sphinx

the piano man
one of my collegues says she will do EVERYTHING to get compensation, she says she'll go to the airport tomorrows and that she has investigated everything to make it work...

our case is that she and another friend should have taken a flight on friday but we were able to rebook for the day after, on saturday and we have no losses,

while it's pretty shitty cause he have to work on saturday already, we didn't lost money other than 27 euro from a train ticket we had bought already.

She can fight for those but... is it worth it?

could she get the 27 euro?

Osahi

one of my collegues says she will do EVERYTHING to get compensation, she says she'll go to the airport tomorrows and that she has investigated everything to make it work...

our case is that she and another friend should have taken a flight on friday but we were able to rebook for the day after, on saturday and we have no losses,

while it's pretty shitty cause he have to work on saturday already, we didn't lost money other than 27 euro from a train ticket we had bought already.

She can fight for those but... is it worth it?

could she get the 27 euro?

Yes, she should get it. I think you can fill out a form on Ryanairs website for this. She can also have 250, 400 or 600 euro compensation based on the length of the route she took, based on EU air laws. I've read this will be much harder to get, as Ryanair counts on people not proscecuting for such a 'low' amount. Best bet there is class action suits, which I think are allready in the works.

sphinx

the piano man
Yes, she should get it. I think you can fill out a form on Ryanairs website for this. She can also have 250, 400 or 600 euro compensation based on the length of the route she took, based on EU air laws. I've read this will be much harder to get, as Ryanair counts on people not proscecuting for such a 'low' amount. Best bet there is class action suits, which I think are allready in the works.

even if we managed to get rebooked for free?

well, it was the Madrid <-> Hamburg friday the 22nd (you can see it in the list Natural Provided https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/travel-updates/flight-cancellations7)

can you say with certainty what exactly we are entitled to?

maybe I can help her if I gather more information.

also, she is the passenger but I bought the tickets, can that a problem in the sense that it must be me who files a dispute?

Pikma

Banned
Ryanair flights are indeed garbage but you get what you pay for, and it's good to have such a cheap alternative.

Osahi

even if we managed to get rebooked for free?

well it was the Madrid <-> Hamburg friday the 22nd (you can see it in the list Natural Provided https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/travel-updates/flight-cancellations7)

can you say with certainty what exactly we are entitled to?

maybe I can help her if I gather more information.

also, she is the passenger but I bought the tickets, can that a problem in the sense that it must be me who files a dispute?

Yes, even if they rebook you, they need to pay you compensation if your flight was cancelled withun 14 days of departure. In you case it's 400 I think (1500+ km) There is a link in the OP yiu can check your rights with. But chances you get that are said to be slim, as it's a David versus Goliath type of case.

My Edinburgh to Hamburg flight got cancelled - as indeed all flights going from Edinburgh to Hamburg were.

Luckily could book elsewhere before prices skyrocket.

sphinx

the piano man
Were you guys notified of the cancellation less than 7 days of departure?? If so, congrats you'll get compensation.

My two friends who got their flights cancelled are on their way to getting 400 euro each. Ryanair isnt exactly putting resistance from what I gather

AllGamer

Crap, I'm flying again to London in November, thought I was safe ...
Is the list already out ?

Don‘t know actually. I received an email from Ryanair saying my flight was canceled. So if you didn’t get an email you are probably fine.

I also just got an 80€ voucher for my next flight because it was my return flight that got canceled.

sphinx

the piano man
List of flights affected https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/travel-updates/flight-cancellations7

My flight in a few weeks seems to be ok but no doubt things might change between now and then.

Ryanair has taken down the link....

there was a link to a PDF file there with the list of all cancelled flights of last week

did anyone manage to save a copy of that PDF to their computers? if so, could you send me a copy? just reply to this post and I'll send you a private message with my email address.

thanks a lot in advance

sphinx

the piano man
I just want to report, that ryainair made a transfer of 800 euro to my account due to cancelling my friends' flight and telling us about it less than a week before departure :)

if anyone of you had been thinking about it, give it a try.

Costa Kid

One of the worst flights I've ever taken was a Ryanair flight from Fez to Madrid. Everything seemed to be held together with tape.
Yes most people would rather fly on an A350, but the 737’s Ryanair use are very modern and well maintained. The company have a good safety record. Just not a good consumer record.

I can fly from Dublin to Paris, Amsterdam, or Berlin for 20-30€ return a lot of the time. That’s cheaper than the train to Belfast. Can’t really complain.

Damn I would never go with a 'cheap' airline, ever.
If you do a lot of inter-European travel, there are few reasons to pay hundreds extra for “luxury” airlines.

Top Bottom