• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome D.I.C.E 2013 Presentation

Why they reduced the characters polycount form 150k to 85k ?

Some things that were poly based (the chain whatchamacallit thingie for example) are now a part of some other part (that's one example that's been brought up). Excuse my brute explanation... one of the techie guys is sure to know what i'm referring to...

JaggedSac

Interesting. If it is truly back at 1080p, the driver issues must have been fixed and the up clocks may have given them just enough juice with their current engine arch.

So removing those polys..did all that crazy detail increase?

Yes.

iblrbwqLb6QbLW.gif

The softer looking one is the upgraded version shown on the stream.

I don't think that's a 1080p confirmation guys. Let's be happy that the game looks awesome and not pin your hopes on the resolution.

KoopaTheCasual

Lol guys, the game is already 1080p
upscaled.

I wouldn't read into that tweet, and set yourself up for unnecessary disappointment. The game looks great regardless.

Vire

They can show the graphics off time and again, still won't get me excited.

Show me an actual mission with gameplay that looks good and then we'll talk.

They can show the graphics off time and again, still won't get me excited.

Show me an actual mission with gameplay that looks good and then we'll talk.

Have they said anything about showing a significant amount of gameplay (from the story, not multiplayer) between here and Nov. 22?

I don't think that's a 1080p confirmation guys. Let's be happy that the game looks awesome and not pin your hopes on the resolution.

Yup, as I said before...

I'm gonna hold my balls on this one, I like the way it looks with what they have shown in the OP here so it's no skin off my teeth if it's not FULL 1080p HD.

Only mods can change the thread title. It is better to wait for a second confirmation imo.

I agree.

hawk2025

And even if it isn't, several people said the upscalers were really well done.

...yeah, but that's not even close to equivalent. There's a distinct difference between claiming Full HD and upscaling, no matter how good the upscaling is.

I don't understand why you guys are "softening the blow" over this. He's either an incredibly dishonest person, or this is great news. I choose to believe the latter!

Tsundere

Banned
I still think it's 900p, some weird blurriness in the new pictures. I believe the Director is trying to sell it as 1080p due to the automatic upscale that the Xbox One does.

Put me in as one of the millions that wouldn't see the difference from 900p to 1080p. Hell.. this whole time I thought what I was seeing on Killer Instinct was 1080p.

Slighty OT but Remedy's Matias Myllyrinne has a presentation at the end of that DICE presentation where he says since Quantum Break isn't a launch title they can push the visual further than what we've seen from the game so far. HHHHNNNNNGGG

Chobel

Slighty OT but Remedy's Matias Myllyrinne has a presentation at the end of that DICE presentation where he says since Quantum Break isn't a launch title they can push the visual further than what we've seen from the game so far. HHHHNNNNNGGG

I don't believe it, I mean how can you be more real than real life?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks fantastic. I really hope that the game got back up to 1080p as well and that they've cleaned up the animations.

I really can't get over how good this game looks regardless of its native res. Super impressive all around, especially the lighting. Really excited to get this in the box day one.

B_Boss

One thing that bugs me as graphical fidelity gets better and better is seeing 'perfect teeth'. It looks out of place and fake. Too straight and too white.

Actually the teeth aren't "perfect" look at the bottom row/frontal. Looks awesome how they designed 'imperfect' teeth in that manner:

ryse1_by_raziel1992-d6odjcy.gif

I'm sure he knows the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and believe Ryse will be native 1080p.

I'm sure he knows the difference between native 1080p and upscaled 1080p. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and believe Ryse will be native 1080p.

Stop messin with my feeeeels maaaaaan.

What's probably depressingly funny is, who out of any of us that buy this game is (potentially, according to the tweet) going to either regret or even care that the res isn't 1080p if the game provides sufficient entertainment?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I found the presentation very interesting, I love the behind the scenes and tech talk.

So the downgraded one is also the one that looks a lot worse. Makes sense.

Keep in mind the darker one is a direct screenshot and the other one is from a video capture. The video capture one, aside from the loss of sharpness, looks much improved.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I like the sharper one more. Still looks good though.

It's a video screen capture vs a screen shot.

The "softer" one is miles ahead, not only the character models but there is much more going on in the background too!

Direct Screen Capture:
ryse_son_of_rome_3.jpg

Picture from streamed video:
9mV8V6c.jpg

Top Bottom