• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku is the game of the generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I'm making somewhat bold claims here because I just finished Ryu Ga Gotoku and I'm caught up in the heat of the excitement and overwhelmed by what has been quite possibly the most amazing video game experience I've ever played through. But having just finished the game I really have to shout out and say, GAME OF THE FREAKING YEAR. I was hesitant to say this as I was playing because I'd be like "sure this is the ultimate awesome, awesome thing of greatness ever...but RE4 was near-perfect and SoC was a beautiful compelling experience". But now that I've sat tear-dropped through the endning, not because it was sad really, but because I was sad it was over. I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Better than MGS3...maybe, better than RE4....maybe, better than SoC...yes, better than ANYTHING SEGA HAS MADE SINCE NIGHTS...YES.

While Shenmue has a split between 50/50 love/hate, I don't think anyone can hate Ryu Ga Gotoku. It's just so amazing in everything from the story to the fighting, to the side-stuff. This is what they wanted Shenmue to be, this fixes anything and everything wrong with Shenmue to combine the greatest interactive movie + greatest battle system ever and get the ultimate immersive movie-like experience.

The amount of times I yelled, "HOLY SHIT!" and msged friends on AIM/ICQ saying "LISTEN TO WHAT I JUST DID!!!!!!!" is higher than you can count on your fingers and from start to finished I kept jumping out of my seat going "O_O".

Anyhow so yeah. This has to come to the US and has to be subtitled or else the world is a sad sad place. I can't recall any time in the history of gaming that a huge budget project that was AAAAAA quality ended up stuck in one territory, so I have faith the game will make its way to the US.

I'll have a a super duper long in-depth review of the game up tomorrow or the next day at gamebrink.com, but the short version of that is just "holy hell, Sega has just released the greatest 3d brawler to date and told one of the greatest game stories in existence. This is the game you show to Roger Ebert to let him know games are as important as films. This is the real deal".

Ok, I'm out for the night.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I guess it's completely impossible to play this game without any understanding of the japanese language, right?
*cries*

For me, a good deal of the game would be ruined if I didn't understand what was going on during the cinema scenes and story, so I'd definitely wait until you can get an English translation.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Don't screw with us man. Do you know how many Sega fans will nose dive off bridges if your blowing smoke up our asses? I want to get my hands on this because it looks like a Takeshi Kitano yakuza film come to life but I know not everybody likes that sort of thing.

Juice

Shit, you're saying this is pretty much guaranteeing it won't be localized elsewhere.

Sega's proven since going multiplatform that they're absolutely averse to anything that can be seen as a good idea. Releasing a stealth classic at the end of a generation after spending a boatload on its development and then DENYING America of it.... man, I think they just found a whole new way to suck.

Anyway, I guess I should pick this up before I go home next week. Sigh.

Troidal

One quickie question:

I'd like to take the plunge, but I am not so hot about the whole Japanese "Kabukicho" gangster atmosphere....does it still pull you into the game even then?

Brofist

Bebpo, have you played Rogue Galaxy yet? gonna get this or Rogue Galaxy this week..somehow I think I know what your answer will be ;)

D3VI0US

It's no Guitar Hero and it's not hard to top Shenmue. Still nice to see Sega putting out a quality game, I hope it comes here too. Anyways give us some examples of "HOLY SHIT!" stuff in spoiler tags, my curiosity is piqued.

Bebpo

Banned
AndriaSang said:
I agree... I'm not anywhere near the end, but it keeps getting better and better.

Just wait until you get some of the final moves near the end of the game. :D :D

u_neek said:
How long is it?

If you're mainly concentrating on the main story and just doing side-stuff here and there (not really exploring every building, going to hostess clubs, playing mini-games, gambling) it's about 15-20 hours. I'm guessing if you really do most of the stuff and get the most out of the game you're looking at 20-30 hours easily. Plus there's some good unlockables that add replay value.

Blimblim said:
I guess it's completely impossible to play this game without any understanding of the japanese language, right?
*cries*

Yeah, the story and dialogue are so essential to the games atmosphere and quality I really can't recommend that anyone should import it if they can't at least watch Japanese TV or films and get a general idea of the stories. :( Though, going by Shenmue II, maybe you'll get a subtitled version in EU :p

Troidal said:
One quickie question:

I'd like to take the plunge, but I am not so hot about the whole Japanese "Kabukicho" gangster atmosphere....does it still pull you into the game even then?

I'd say so. The characters are many and nicely developed. Everyone feels human, real, and most of all interesting. The actual storyline is really quite good and even if the theme isn't quite your cup of tea, the battle system is just so very very good you should have a great time playing through it and stick with it until the ending.

kpop100 said:
Bebpo, have you played Rogue Galaxy yet? gonna get this or Rogue Galaxy this week..somehow I think I know what your answer will be ;)

I'm basically being a very picky negative guy on RG because of this game. I played 30 mins of RG and was "this is nice" and then I started playing Ryu. Going back to RG it was like "wow, this battle system is boring compared to Ryu. This story is dull and generic compared to Ryu. etc..." Basically Ryu Ga Gotoku being so original and exciting killed any enthusiasm towards Rogue Galaxy. Ryu Ga Gotoku is the better game by miles IMO.

ThirdEye

"I approve."
ryu01.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's great to hear. I've kinda put off moving forward in the game simply due to the shit TV that I'm stuck using. When I return home, I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. The story was becoming quite engaging, however, which is why I decided to wait.

Bebpo

Banned
Koshiro said:
Wait, some people doubted the JSR/PDO Smilebit team? For shame.

Speaking of the team. Does anyone have a general list of who exactly was involved in this great game? It's like it came out of nowhere with the announcement only a few months ago and there hasn't been much PR hype. Also I thought I saw AM2 listed in the credits.

Shinobi

I'm hoping that successful sales of this game will pave the way for Shenmue 3. Until then I eagerly await the US version. Too bad it wasn't out here this year...chances are it'll get lost in next year's next generation shuffle.

Bebpo

Banned
Shinobi said:
I'm hoping that successful sales of this game...

It's going to take a lot of succesful sales to make back the games supposed 20 million budget.

It would be nice if Sega wasn't punshied with having to lose money because they made a good game for once.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I was JUST watching this on Cinematech Nocturnal the other day.. I had to go look the game up to find out what the heck it was all about it looked so nice... chances of US release?

Shinobi

YellowAce said:
You're wrong. Game of the year is MGS4.

He said game of the generation, so just by your choice of counter you'd be wrong. Unless you meant MGS3.

But you'd be still be wrong.

Master Z

I always thought that a Shenmue style game with a Yakuza theme would kick ass. So glad to hear that Sega came through with this one. It would be a crime if Sega doesn't release this over here.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Shinobi said:
He said game of the generation, so just by your choice of counter you'd be wrong. Unless you meant MGS3.

But you'd be still be wrong.

No he meant MGS4 and hes right!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey Bebpo, since you've finished the game, I have one question. Is the ending very definite and conclusive, or does it leave some stuff unsolved? 'Cause I don't want a Shenmue situation with this game...:/

Srider

Banned
Kiriku said:
Hey Bebpo, since you've finished the game, I have one question. Is the ending very definite and conclusive, or does it leave some stuff unsolved? 'Cause I don't want a Shenmue situation with this game...:/

The ending is definitely conclusive. Nothing is left unsolved. Unless you count ... nm not going to ruine it for anyone.

I wish there will be a sequel....

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Srider said:
The ending is definitely conclusive. Nothing is left unsolved. Unless you count ... nm not going to ruine it for anyone.

I wish there will be a sequel....

Good, good. :)

Oh, and I'm wondering the same thing as john tv...for people who didn't like Shenmue much and are playing Ryu Ga Gotoku - is the game good according to you??

Milkman

Wish it had a lock-on option so half the fights didn't fall into that 3D brawler trap of having you whiff while you're locked into your combo-animation as you swing at the air? That said, it destroys games like Urban Reign. The rest of the game is very high-quality.

Sega will announce tonight that Ryu Ga Gotoku will be an exclusive X360 title on NA, however it will still be released for the PS2 on Europe

Akia

..pakbeka.. said:
Sega will announce tonight that Ryu Ga Gotoku will be an exclusive X360 title on NA, however it will still be released for the PS2 on Europe

If true, then HOLY CRAP I'm getting the EURO version.

Matlock

Banned
Unless I'm missing something, this sounds approximate to a white-collar version of The Warriors. Not that I mind, but nothing said in this thread so far pushes it as "game of the gen," let alone "game of the year."

Tain

I really don't need another game to play right now, but Jesus H.

I've been pumped about this from the beginning. I'm almost thinking about importing it, but I know I'll be kicking myself if it makes a US release, so I'm waiting.

Wait, some people doubted the JSR/PDO Smilebit team? For shame.

It's not like they have amazing (or even great) consistency going. The only Smilebit game I'm truly crazy for is JSR (and, now, TotD), so that alone isn't a sell for me.

Don't do that to me.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
..pakbeka.. said:
Why would they do that? PS2 has a much bigger userbase and the code for the game is done already...?

Well, it is Sega. But I will cry if this happens because I really wanted to play this.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Matlock said:
Unless I'm missing something, this sounds approximate to a white-collar version of The Warriors. Not that I mind, but nothing said in this thread so far pushes it as "game of the gen," let alone "game of the year."

Its what if the warriors wasnt shitty.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
human5892 said:
Why would they do that? PS2 has a much bigger userbase and the code for the game is done already...?

Well, it is Sega. But I will cry if this happens because I really wanted to play this.

Go lie down, come back in half an hour and look at the post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom