• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku is the game of the generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrod

Banned
Tain said:
It's not like they have amazing (or even great) consistency going. The only Smilebit game I'm truly crazy for is JSR (and, now, TotD), so that alone isn't a sell for me.
I dunno, they have a pretty good track record...

-The Typing of the Dead (AC/DC/PC) 2000
-Jet Grind Radio (DC) 2000
-Hundred Swords (DC/PC) 2001
-Jet Set Radio Future (XB) 2002
-GunValkyrie (XB) 2002
-Panzer Dragoon Orta (XB) 2002
-Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (GBA) 2004
-Ollie King (AC) 2004
-Ryu Ga Gotoku (PS2) 2005

...better than most SEGA teams I'd say. I'd only rank UGA and AV's primary team better.

duckroll

jarrod said:

-GunValkyrie (XB) 2002
-Ollie King (AC) 2004

...better than most SEGA teams I'd say. I'd only rank UGA and AV's primary team better.

That's 3 shitty games out of 9.... oh wait, it IS Sega so I guess 33% shitty is still considered a "good track record"... :lol

Tain

-GunValkyrie (XB) 2002
-Ollie King (AC) 2004

Yeah, I guess it isn't that bad. I might be the odd man out in not really liking Orta or GunValkyrie, and JSRF was no JSR, but they're definitely loved games.

Shinobi

..pakbeka.. said:
Sega will announce tonight that Ryu Ga Gotoku will be an exclusive X360 title on NA, however it will still be released for the PS2 on Europe

:lol That thread would be a laugh riot...

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
That's 3 shitty games out of 9.... oh wait, it IS Sega so I guess 33% shitty is still considered a "good track record"... :lol
You got it. Though I'd say UGA and AV's primary team are a bit more decent all around (with some obvious stinkers still in there tho)...

-Space Channel 5 (DC/PS2) 2000
-Rez (DC/PS2) 2001
-Space Channel 5 Part 2 (DC/PS2) 2001
-Astro Boy (PS2)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (DS) 2004
-The Rub Rabbits! (DS) 2005
-Sonic Riders (GC/PS2/XB) 2006

-Daytona USA (AC) 1994
-Sega Super GT (AC) 1996
-Daytona USA 2: Battle on the Edge (AC) 1998
-SpikeOut: Digital Battle Online (AC) 1998
-Daytona USA 2: Power Edition (AC) 1998
-SpikeOut: Final Edition (AC) 1999
-SlashOut (AC) 2000
-Spikers Battle (AC) 2001
-Planet Harriers (AC) 2001
-Monkey Ball (AC) 2001
-Super Monkey Ball (GC) 2001
-Super Monkey Ball 2 (GC) 2002
-F-Zero AX (AC) 2003
-F-Zero GX (GC) 2003
-Super Monkey Ball DX (PS2/XB) 2004
-Super Monkey Ball DS (DS) 2005

duckroll

I hope Ryu sells just enough to keep the team from being fired but not enough to make Sega management think they should be making Shenmue 3. I want my Panzer Dragoon PS3. :D

Shinobi

duckroll said:
I hope Ryu sells just enough to keep the team from being fired but not enough to make Sega management think they should be making Shenmue 3. I want my Panzer Dragoon PS3. :D

Why have one when we could have both?

ghibli99

Bebpo said:
I can't recall any time in the history of gaming that a huge budget project that was AAAAAA quality ended up stuck in one territory, so I have faith the game will make its way to the US.
Sakura Taisen.

Ryu ga Gotoku might come out here, but I'd be shocked if Sega actually subtitled it. Then again, they've surprised me before (Panzer Dragoon Saga).

Bebpo

Banned
Matlock said:
Unless I'm missing something, this sounds approximate to a white-collar version of The Warriors. Not that I mind, but nothing said in this thread so far pushes it as "game of the gen," let alone "game of the year."

The game is a bit like The Warriors. Except this time around the battle engine is one of the best on the market, and you have a lot more freedom to do other stuff as well in the city. Not too mention, Ryu's characters and writing >>>>>>>> R*'s.

Milkman said:
Wish it had a lock-on option so half the fights didn't fall into that 3D brawler trap of having you whiff while you're locked into your combo-animation as you swing at the air? That said, it destroys games like Urban Reign. The rest of the game is very high-quality.

The lock-on (R1) does work well but you have to use it wisely. The game doesn't auto-lock on to a specific opponent because if you were in a fight with like 5-10 guys, it's more of an advantage to be able to lock-on and circle strafe a specific area rather than a specific person. It took me some getting used to, but I can see why they went that way and I got used to it pretty quickly. Once you get some good swaying ability, R1+X will circle strafe you out of the center of crowds and then you can work your way inwards. It also helps when you get the moves that let you go from your current forward combo into a backwards attack.

Kiriku said:
Hey Bebpo, since you've finished the game, I have one question. Is the ending very definite and conclusive, or does it leave some stuff unsolved? 'Cause I don't want a Shenmue situation with this game...:/

Very conclusive. It's a single big story. Everything is resolved by the end and the ending itself is quite good.

john tv said:
Is this still GOTY for people who realize that Shenmue is utter garbage? If so, sign me up!

Yes. Because besides a few similarities it's got very little to do with Shenmue. It's about as close to being Shenmue as it is to being GTA, and it's nothing like GTA besides having a mini-map and a city.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bebpo said:
Better than MGS3...
Oh sweet merciful Jupiter.

I must...I must have this game. I must know this game. In the biblical sense.

COME ON SEGA

MONEYS

Bebpo, please let us know as soon as your review is up. Thank you.

bjork

"better than ANYTHING SEGA HAS MADE SINCE NIGHTS...YES."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I skipped the rest of the thread... is this really text heavy, or could an ignorant whitey play it and have fun?

lachesis

Ryuga Gotoku is good.
I've currently logged in about 15 hours, and currently at chapter 6. (I think there are 12-13 chapters).

The best thing that I like about this game is the storytelling. Nicely paced, and you have a choice of rushing it through, or just sit-back and enjoy the all the stuff there's to explore - which the latter is the one I've chose to do, as I don't have much time playing games thesedays, so I would like to enjoy to the max in first sitting.

Currently, I've finished about 48 of sidequests. Asides some internal jokes presented here and there - there are whole variety of stuff to do. A lot of them, actually has to do with "helping people out, while defeating the bad guys" - do good, feel good kinda things in more or less adult language and atmosphere. Even dating(?) Kyabakura girls, also leads to each and separate drama of each girls, and how they ended up being there. No explicit contents - just vaguely suggests what has happened - you do get some good exp to upgrade your skills too.

I think you can finish the game, if you don't fall for the subquests (quite addicting, though) - in around 10-15 hours, no problem... but I think it's worth to flesh out, for the sake of upgrading your character levels - which makes the battle more fun.

I'm getting used to its play mechanics, so the awkward camera angles do not bother me too much - but still little awkward. In some places, you can reset the camera with L2 buttons, so it helps - but I really do wish I could do so in normal street maps. Loading time, also doen't really bother me too much either - that the game do not have "random" battles as I thought - it's all part of calculated encounters. Now, with a lot of the side quests done, the streets are rather... silent. :( Which means I should get back on the track and get on with the main storyline, which is VERY enjoyable.

Yakuza story isn't for everyone? Perhaps... but so is Mob stories, although widely more accepted. I personally do not really dig Mob, or Gangsta storylines - but I do recongnize and enjoyed Godfather I&II, Good Fellas etc. But this one is a definitely worth looking into. Afaik, an award winning novelist wrote the script, and even in my limited knowledge, rather heavily weighted story itself and good visual directing, really is paying off. So far, I'm enjoying it as much as, if not more than MGS3, which is saying a lot... but not to the point of the game of "generation" to be honest. There are some obvious failings here and there - but good stuff vastly overshadows the shortcomings.

For me, it's a good Shenmue fix, but I hear a lot of people who expected Shenmue in this game were disappointed. For me, it worked and I'm loving the game very much. Will alot of people like this game? Not too sure... but I'm at the point that "it doesn't really matter" no matter what other people like the game or not. It's not a highschool beauty queen contest. What fits me, fits me... and that's it, I guess..

lachesis

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Seeing Bebpo's reaction to finishing the game really motivates me to play this one through to the end.

I really like the game so far (just on chapter 4), but it's not a "game of the generation" liking yet. The brutality of the fighting system is just hilarious, almost to the point where it feels like an advanced River City Ransom for adults :lol Fun stuff. Man, Japanese gangsters sure do get very very apologetic after you beat the shit out of them. Lots of bowing and sumimasens :lol

This game's copious and rapid use of Japanese assuredly renders this game almost totally incomprehensible to non-veteran importers. Please please don't get this game if your Kanji comprehension isn't in the 700+ range unless you don't mind missing out on so much of the story. It's definitely pushing the limits of my comprehension ability :(. So much of it goes by during the cutscenes at informal conversational speed, and you have no time to reach for a dictionary, not to mention that all the Yakuza slang that gets slung around isn't going to be in there anyway.

The realism of the graphics are special. People look very real, as in actually like how Japanese people look like, despite their low poly count, and the expressiveness of the faces really makes you feel more for the characters than you usually do in other games like this.

As Shenmue-like as it looked on first observation, there's very little in common between the two games. Despite being one of the biggest Shenmue boosters out there, I hereby declare this game safe for Shenmue haters :lol. Instead of controlling a socially-retarded man-child introvert, you control a street-smart total badass. Instead of airing out books, you brutally beat people up using bicycles, giant folding tables, and baseball bats.

The game really feels like a new kind of game to me: a fighting RPG. It's very different.

lachesis

Well, again, comparison to Shenmue is very understandable, and I do certainly feel there's some similarity in these games, although I hear alot of people don't feel the same.

I think Shenmue is more G rated in terms of it's actual layout and all - but this game is seriously R rating. Think Shenmue with less figuring out on notepads, no fiddling with objects and curfews that a lot of people hated. Add more violence, more frequent fights, less tedious lev-up system from Freebattle, and sexual themes, more adult oriented (in which I mean actual grown-ups, not just sex) storyline.. you get the idea. This game, really does make you feel like being a real badass. It does the job, quite well.

Actually I find the pace of this game is rather similar to ShenmueII disc3, which I think one of the best moments of gaming ever. Adopting good thing is good thing..

lachesis

Amir0x

Banned
Just because of the ridiculous expectations I would have for a game that is better than MGS3 and SotC, I will assume this game is never coming to the US so that there's no excitement there.

And then if it comes, success.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
Just because of the ridiculous expectations I would have for a game that is better than MGS3 and SotC, I will assume this game is never coming to the US so that there's no excitement there.

And then if it comes, success.
I don't think Sega spent over 20 million dollars developing the game to only release it in one region...

...but then again, this would be a business decision by Sega. :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Of course its coming, they're practically forced too considering how expensive it was to produce. Translating it wouldn't add that much of a cost and at least guarantee a modest amount of extra sales (budget for marketing willing). At the very least Sega can capitalize on the GTA fanbase. Wait wait I completely forgot, this is Sega...

What did I tell you Shenmue fans, Ryu Ga Gotoku was going to take care of you.

Beowvlf

Banned
While I highly doubt this is better than SotC (because that is without a doubt the best game released this gen), levels of praise this high coming from Bebpo equates to an automatic purchase.

Of course like others have said Sega likely won't localize it. Sumbitches.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
I don't think Sega spent over 20 million dollars developing the game to only release it in one region...

...but then again, this would be a business decision by Sega. :lol

Yeah I mean if this was another developer we were talking about I might be more positive about the prospects!

ourumov

I diffinitelly see myself liking this game more than MGS3/SOTC. An action-adventure in the heart of Japan ? COOOOOL :)
I knew RG was going to be awesome but this thread surprised me a bit. I couldn't expect SEGA to do it so well...Well, I guess now I'll have to try this one for sure.

I loved Shenmue but not because the gameplay but the whole ambience packed there. Let's say I enjoyed walking allong those streets, the harbour and the whole japanese scenario. Just for this, RG seems like a good game for me. But then, you claim both story/gameplay are awesome and even better than what I expected.

Just bring it here SEGA !

heidern

Let's be kind and say this game will hit 400,000 in sales in Japan. That would mean that for every copy sold $50 was spent on development. When you take account of marketing costs and things like retailer markups, there is no way even Sega would see that as a potentially profitable venture. So there are two possibilities:
1) Sega gives the game gets a worldwide release to try and make some money.
2) Sega did this for the Japanese Sega fans and not to make money.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Dsal said:
Instead of controlling a socially-retarded man-child introvert, you control a street-smart total badass. Instead of airing out books, you brutally beat people up using bicycles, giant folding tables, and baseball bats.

Nice to hear! That was seriously one of the main issues with Shenmue for me, I'd rather be a badass. Bicycles!? SIGN ME UP! :D

Bebpo

Banned
heidern said:
Let's be kind and say this game will hit 400,000 in sales in Japan. That would mean that for every copy sold $50 was spent on development. When you take account of marketing costs and things like retailer markups, there is no way even Sega would see that as a potentially profitable venture. So there are two possibilities:
1) Sega gives the game gets a worldwide release to try and make some money.
2) Sega did this for the Japanese Sega fans and not to make money.

Or

3) Sega thought the game would be the next 'big' thing in Japan and sell a million copies.

For the "Next Big Thing" they sure did under-promote it.

Seriously, who unveils a blockbuster GOTY candidate only four months before it comes out? Who puts money into hiring famous (in the area) voice actors, world famous bizzaro filmaker Takashi Miike to direct some promo short films, and all the other accotrements of a big-budget title without some sort of plan to maximize their profits?

Ryu Ga Gotoku sold 100K on its first day, which is nice, but isn't going to help it come close to being the success they would need it to be. I'm very confident that it will come to America, Sega is probably just waiting for the 360 and Holiday season hype to die down before formally introducing it to North America. I would say that Shenmue is just as esoteric as this and it got over here eventually. Even if Sega does do something as monumentally stupid as ignoring the American market, I'd bet that its a sure thing that it will get picked up by some other publisher who is not averse to money.

Heck, we might even get lucky and get subtitles, reduced load times, and an extra coat of polish due to the inevitable half-year-waiting period. If I don't see it even after E3, I'll be worried, but I doubt that will happen.

Summer 2006 or bust says I.

ps
couldn't ever get the darn things to work, but for anybody who wants to see the live-action prologue to Ryu Go Gotoku, you should be able to find it here.

Flo_Evans

I will join in the candelight vigil for SEGA to bring this over!

DO IT SEGA!

or else I will be forced to take a japanese class at my local community college!

john tv said:
Is this still GOTY for people who realize that Shenmue is utter garbage? If so, sign me up!
Thank god. When I say the same thing I get sacked. I will not clean fucking soot off fucking temple walls! CANCER.

Catch22

Shaheed79 said:
Don't screw with us man. Do you know how many Sega fans will nose dive off bridges if your blowing smoke up our asses? I want to get my hands on this because it looks like a Takeshi Kitano yakuza film come to life but I know not everybody likes that sort of thing.

Actually, looks like my fave director Takashi Miike has a hand in an actual live Ryu Ga Gotoku movie! Details here: http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004437.html

If you don't know who Miike is, go to some rental store and rent ICHI THE KILLER. Do yourself a favor and get the uncut version. His movies are usually about Yakuza, violence, rape, violence, rape, slashing, rape, stabbing, slicing... more yakuza... with sprnklings of humour, with over the top undertones; although he did make a couple movies that deviated from this formula. This guy just does what he wants.

Catch22 said:
Actually, looks like my fave director Takashi Miike has a hand in an actual live Ryu Ga Gotoku movie! Details here: http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004437.html

If you don't know who Miike is, go to some rental store and rent ICHI THE KILLER. Do yourself a favor and get the uncut version. His movies are usually about Yakuza, violence, rape, violence, rape, slashing, rape, stabbing, slicing... more yakuza... with sprnklings of humour, with over the top undertones; although he did make a couple movies that deviated from this formula. This guy just does what he wants.
My favorite Miike film is still Happiness of the Katakuris. Simply engrossing.

I would say Takeshi Kitano's Yakuza movies are a little more realistic than Miike's, but holy shit, does Miike deliver a crazy-ass show or what? Both FTW (and it did, in Izo).

Shinobi

J2 Cool said:

TheHand.gif

The idea that the game won't come out here is a little silly. They brought Panzer Saga over for a dead system for fuck's sake. Anyway, I imagine Sega Europe will handle the translation duties.

john tv said:

The TGS demo left a bad taste in my mouth -- from that demo I thought it was Shenmue++ but from what I can see from the 2 hours I have messed with it...it's MUCH better than Shenmue in every way....

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
With all the complaints about too much reading in games, I doubt they'll bring a subtitled version to the US. And with the production costs as high as they are, they'll probably scrape the bottom of the voice acting barrel to save money. So, I'm sure we can expect a very badly dubbed version coming to our friendly video game vendor in 2006.

I wonder how much space the whole game takes. Any chance of a dual sound track? Or does the audio fill up the DVD?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
YellowAce said:
Bebpo, I'm buying this game. If it sucks I'm going to kick you in the balls the next time I see you.

"I'm looking for some ちんぴら (Chinpiras)... have you seen them?"

lachesis

I'm upto about 23 hours, and later part of Chapter 7.

Chapter 6 was a bit of side-track from main storyline - mostly focusing on parent-child relationship, and to be honest, I was quite moved. There are some good voice acting - especially Kiryu's voice acting is so.. compelling. I nearly cried when
Kiryu was confessing Haruka that her mother is dead.....
or
when Kiryu burst into the scene to help out his cop friend, Date with his daughter Saya
I was just getting the goosebump, feeling Kiryu's rage and most of all, badass-ness. Each scenes somehow motivates me, and it feels great to punish those bastards with cruel justice of my heat attack. Some might say it's pretty sappy and all, but well, I'm a sucker for those sappy stuff. ;)

Anyhow. There are some stuff that people in other countries might not understand that you can exchange chips into cash in Casino/Pachinko/Slots - but you have to exchange it into goods, then exchange that into cash. (I believe it's illegal in Japan to be able to exchange chips into cash directly, and such transaction often is overseed by Yakuza provision, if I'm not mistaken.) I was hoping that I could find this kinda stuff in Shenmue and it's Slot machine places (being able to exchange into goods), and Ryuga just solved one of my complaints.

Kiryu, while he "walks" the funny way in Yakuza way - but his coolness and badassness, just won my vote for the one of the coolest character ever. :)

lachesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom