• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku is the game of the generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of importing, but im not that good at japanese, i can muscle my way though games with alot of voice though.

currently playing:
Growlanser 1
Tales of the Abyss
Summon Night Ex Thesis
Summon Night 3
Sakura Taisen V

I can mostly get the jist of whats going on in those, and supplement with gamefaqs what i cant figure out on my own.

Is ryu ga Gotoku a game for me? or will i be totally lost?

duckroll

pancakesandsex said:
I'm thinking of importing, but im not that good at japanese, i can muscle my way though games with alot of voice though.

currently playing:
Growlanser 1
Tales of the Abyss
Summon Night Ex Thesis
Summon Night 3
Sakura Taisen V

I can mostly get the jist of whats going on in those, and supplement with gamefaqs what i cant figure out on my own.

Is ryu ga Gotoku a game for me? or will i be totally lost?

When you feel you can watch a Takeshi Kitano film without subs and enjoy it completely, then you might consider getting Ryu.

Yeah I got some playtime in this game before I left for the new year. I can't wait to get back to it. My Japanese is not perfect, so I am stumbling through some parts. But overall I am having a blast.

The battle system is so much fun, and I can see how it will get better and better. There really are just tons of "oh shit!!!" moments. I'm just hoping I can understand enough of the story to fully appreciate it.

The Japanese voice acting is so good too. I have laughed my ass off at a lot of moments so far. Please don't butcher it Sega. Just let David Hayter be the main character haha.

duckroll

Just finished chapter 6. Holy shit the writing is AWESOME. I really loved the character stuff in chapter 6 and the writing and directing of the cutscenes were fucking perfect. The fights were great too. :D

lachesis

duckroll said:
Just finished chapter 6. Holy shit the writing is AWESOME. I really loved the character stuff in chapter 6 and the writing and directing of the cutscenes were fucking perfect. The fights were great too. :D

Hate to say this, but you haven't seen nothing yet. ;) Things do not get really heated up till chapter 7-8. Enjoy brief moment with Haruka - just doodle around - as there's no turning back afterwards - I mean, you will feel obligated to see the ending. It's that compelling. ;)

lachesis

duckroll

After deep internal analysis, I have FIGURED OUT what Ryu ga Gotoku really is! It's a 3D next-gen big budget re-imagining of the River City Ransom concept! Just think about it. There is a pre-set city enviroment around ranging from parks, shopping districts, bad areas, etc. The city is largely filled with different factions of gang members ready to beat you up, and you adventure around in a semi-non-linear fashion to beat up these assholes while refilling your health eating at Japanese resturants and/or fast-food outlets! Now just turn that into 3D, add a living breathing city with hundreds of people everywhere, create an intense Yakuza plotline with awesome cutscenes and voice acting, add even MORE stores/minigames/sidequest options, recreate all the awesome beat-em-up action in 3D...... and you have Ryu ga Gotoku! :lol

DCharlie

Banned
right, that's it

today i buy :

- Ryuu ga Gotoku
- a new japanese dictionary (preferably in "Yakuza")
- a pair of size 10 Doc Martin boots
- a plane ticket to Bebpo's house

I'm all psyched for this - if only work didn't start back tomorrow

kiryogi

Banned
Well thanks guys. I finally caved in and ordered it. (Along with OZ) It'll be here in a few days I imagine. IT BETTER BE GOOD.

lachesis

DCharlie said:
right, that's it

today i buy :

- Ryuu ga Gotoku
- a new japanese dictionary (preferably in "Yakuza")
- a pair of size 10 Doc Martin boots
- a plane ticket to Bebpo's house

I'm all psyched for this - if only work didn't start back tomorrow

What took you so long? ;)

Joeholley

Ok, someone please tell me how to play this game.

I want to like RgG. A LOT. In fact, I've thrown it down in disgust three times over the past couple of days, but I keep coming back. I've read this whole thread over and over again, and either I'm doing something really wrong and making the game far too hard, or I was supposed to buy a shitton of healing items in Chapter 2 and no one told me.

I'm now in Chapter three, at the loooong section of fights. Dozens upon Dozens of guys, and me with my puny life bar and no way to heal. I've levelled to 2/3/4 (primarily to increase my life bar BECAUSE I KEEP DYING) and I make it a little bit farther each time I retry, but... comon. I've only been playing for two hours. I don't think the game was designed for me to die 8-9 times in this one string of fights.

What am I doing wrong? The fighting system just seems so difficult at this stage. the only way that's even remotely effective when fighting more than one enemy is to get them all to come after you and run down a hallway or other bottlenecking section of the scenery so you can try to beat up the ones in front. Then when they spread out again (after say, one combo), you have to run and repeat or 2-3 of them will have worked around behind you and will knock half your lifebar away before you can turn around (and since guard only works if they are in front of you, it's been essentially worthless so far, as it's ALWAYS better just to start pummelling... guarding just makes you stationary so they can work around behind you to beat you in the back of the skull). God help me if I try to fight without using the lockon. One whiff and there's another half a life bar gone. I mean, I could probably just hang back and pick up items, throwing them at people again and again. But surely this robust of a fighting engine was NOT designed for that!

So tell me GAF. Do I need to restart the whole game and buy some healing items in chapter two? Cause if so, to hell with that. If I wanted that kind of sega punishment, I'd load up PS2 Shinobi and try the last boss for a few more hours.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
There should be healing items lying around when you're at the long battle part.

I'm assuming you're inside the building right?

Once you pick them up, use them in your menu screen... first option.

If you're dying at this level, I don't know what to say.

Use R1 to semi lock yourself onto your enemy...

Use sq,tri attack as your main attack since it would be the fastest way to knock someone down and not have to commit to a long string.

If you're still having trouble beating the level, I don't know what to say, it was incredibly easy for me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It wasn't "incredibly easy" for me, but I eventually managed to beat that part running for those healing items MarkMan mentioned and using them as last resorts. But yeah, it looked like the difficulty level skyrocked during that part for no reason.

Joeholley

Eventually, after about an hour of redoing and redoing the fight, I managed to beat it. The healing items did help, thanks for the advice. In the first fight of the level, there's a glowing can on the floor, which I thought I picked up and threw at someone (turns out I grabbed some other piece of the environment). That was a healing item, but since i thought that all it was was some other weapon, I ignored it and the rest of the sparkling items after that. Whoops.

Although the healing items were what I needed to make it through the stage, I really wish that I didn't have to keep using the sq + tri attack to knock the enemy down, then run away, later, rinse, repeat. I'm sure it will get more diverse later if what I've read here is any indication. Either way, my frustration was at it's peak in my earlier post. I've cooled down some now that I've beat that chapter and you can BET YOUR ASS I'm going to buy as many healing items as my inventory will carry.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
duckroll said:
After deep internal analysis, I have FIGURED OUT what Ryu ga Gotoku really is! It's a 3D next-gen big budget re-imagining of the River City Ransom concept!

This is exactly what I thought too, right down to how the people you are currently kicking the shit out of have their names by their energy bars and say "temme" instead of "BARF!" The moment of realization came upon me when I went into the sushi restaurant and suddenly had a dejavu to Mao's pepper beef :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Joeholley said:
Eventually, after about an hour of redoing and redoing the fight, I managed to beat it. The healing items did help, thanks for the advice. In the first fight of the level, there's a glowing can on the floor, which I thought I picked up and threw at someone (turns out I grabbed some other piece of the environment). That was a healing item, but since i thought that all it was was some other weapon, I ignored it and the rest of the sparkling items after that. Whoops.

Although the healing items were what I needed to make it through the stage, I really wish that I didn't have to keep using the sq + tri attack to knock the enemy down, then run away, later, rinse, repeat. I'm sure it will get more diverse later if what I've read here is any indication. Either way, my frustration was at it's peak in my earlier post. I've cooled down some now that I've beat that chapter and you can BET YOUR ASS I'm going to buy as many healing items as my inventory will carry.

There should've been tons of weapons to pick up during that section? I found it fairly easy and had a fun time of grabbing those giant rock pillars and smashing the big guys with them. Meanwhile I'd grab a small guy and throw him into a group of other enemies to knock them all down. If you want breathing room grabbing the small guys and knocking down the group is the way to go. Pretty soon you get a great jump kick move that works for clearing some space as well.

As for general fighting. I just run around so the enemies are bunched up in front of me and I do a big combo knocking them all down. Then I have full heat gauge and grab some guy and smash him into the nearest wall. Learn to use sway (direction + X during lock-on). Once you get your sway to lvl.2 or 3 you can instantly get out of crowds but swaying out after you've been hit and are ganged up. This helps as you'll never get trapped again and you should always have the offensive advantage on enemies. Also with weapons don't throw them unless you really need to hit a long range enemy. Use the square combos or triangle power moves as they do tons of damage.

Health items are pretty important. I always kept about 6 full HP restore items on me at all times and near the end I was keeping a full 9.

Hope you figure out what you were doing wrong during the battles because stage 3 was supposed to be pretty fun and easy. In a few chapters you'll start running into some 'real' fights and you need to learn the battle system in and out if you want to get through some of the bosses.

DCharlie

Banned
okay, i bought this game today...

Bebpo... open your f*cking legs! ;)

only kidding, not had chance to play it - made the mistake of buying M+L Rpg 2 and had visitors so will start tomorrow.

My thighs tingle with delight.

duckroll

Joeholley said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Although the healing items were what I needed to make it through the stage, I really wish that I didn't have to keep using the sq + tri attack to knock the enemy down, then run away, later, rinse, repeat.

You didn't have to.... as Bebpo said there are tons of weapons around, and they're just HALF of the fun of Chapter 3. The other half of the fun is using enviromental specific special attacks. Try grabbing an enemy or two now and then and use them on the "enviroment" when your Heat Gauge is high. You can smash their skulls on the walls or throw them off railings. I don't get why you keep using square+triangle and then RUNNING AWAY. You should grab a weapon, and use a square-square-square-triangle-triangle combo to clear the 2-3 enemies in front of you, then STEP on a few of them. Then turn around, throw the weapon at the rest if its low on usage, or just do another combo if you have enough. The trick is really STEPPING on enemies. You can also GRAB them and THROW them at other enemies to knock a bunch down, then pick up a weapon and wait for them to get up to continue the asskicking. If you're getting fustrated at Chapter 3, you really haven't learnt the game mechanics well so far. I suggest you load and try the stage again until you ENJOY it, then you'll enjoy the rest of the game a dozen times more. I promise. :D

I've cooled down some now that I've beat that chapter and you can BET YOUR ASS I'm going to buy as many healing items as my inventory will carry.

Don't. That will really ruin the way you play the game. Get like 3-4 good healing items from a store and that's all you need for backup. If you start loading your entire inventory hoping to rely on healing in fights you'll never improve your skills. The game teaches you best when you're on high tension knowing you CAN'T heal, so you automatically force yourself to learn how to fight well. That's why there are unlimited instant continues, to teach you without fustrating you. Don't wuss out man. :D

lachesis

Joeholley said:

Glad that you got out of it. Most small fishes will be quite easy once you've learned a long string combo of sq-sq-sq-sq-tri kick combo - I think you learn it at lev3 or so. Also tri using R1+x when surrounded - the sway is not so useful in the beginning, but when it's upgraded in later games - it's quite essential - otherwise you won't really stand a chance.

You probably don't want to carry too many. A couple of them would do fine. Just go to Don Quixote shop, and get a couple of Staminan XX or so. It should be plenty enough - as you can head back to "Selena" and rest in that room of yours - it will replenish your health gradually, and you can swap items (like you do with the item box @ Stardust), and also save.

Also only time you will have to worry is when someone's asking you "ARE YOU READY to depart?" - usually gives you a choice of whether you are ready or not. Which means... (unspoken RPG rule applies here) to stock up and prepare for battle. ;) I'm sure you remember that at the end of Chapter 2, the head host guy asks or his bouncer standing in the door asking you whether you are ready or not - at that point, you could have accessed some convenient store or so. Also, there's a guy who you could buy some healing items in chapter 2, near the staircase. However, the plentiful healing items all around in Chapter 3's battle stage - it's kinda hard to miss. ;)

Try upgrading your characters as much as you can by doing some side-quests early on.
In chapter 4, I was able to up my character till around Level 4-5 with no problem. It will greatly help you out in breezing through till around chapter 7 or so. :)

lachesis

fury

I've been playing this and I'm at Chapter 7. Can anyone tell me if you get anything from building up the heart meter with girls at a cabaret club?

Joeholley

Agreed, there were tons of weapons.

duckroll said:
The other half of the fun is using enviromental specific special attacks. Try grabbing an enemy or two now and then and use them on the "enviroment" when your Heat Gauge is high.

I always try to do this (they are my favorite parts of the game) but I found that unless you were right next to a 'special attack zone' you had to clear every enemy, and do this to the last one. Otherwise, you grab someone and try to take two steps with them towards a wall/railing/pond and get punched by some other thug.

duckroll said:
I don't get why you keep using square+triangle and then RUNNING AWAY. You should grab a weapon, and use a square-square-square-triangle-triangle combo to clear the 2-3 enemies in front of you, then STEP on a few of them.

I always try to do this too; here's the problem. Bare-handed: If I use anything longer than sq+tri then I've hit one, maybe two enemies a few times, but now I'm in the middle of the five person group and I'm flanked. I can't run straight out (as you can't step over downed bodies...? seems arbitrarily difficult mechanic), and if I try to turn around or run another direction, I don't make it out before I start taking hits (more on this later). I know the hit's coming, but I can nothing to stop it; the very definition of frustrating. I grab weapons as often as possible, but I find two things: with most anything in hand, I swing so slow that someone's going to get to punch me out of my attack animation - either by hitting me mid-swing, or by walking up behind me and punching me. If I started swinging early so as to hit them before they could get close enough to attack and whiffed, I was set up for a massive combo counterattack that would be 1/5 to 1/4 of my life. The small weapons didn't really seem any more effective than standard punch/kick attacks. In fact, they seemed less effective since I couldn't do knockdowns without a long string (the only way to keep from getting attacked while prone after the combo). Or, of course, I get punched trying to PICK UP THE weapon. Two choices there; clear all the enemies (at which point I don't need the weapon) or run as far away from them as I can and grab a weapon while they catch up to me. But that's certainly not fun!

duckroll said:
Then turn around, throw the weapon at the rest if its low on usage, or just do another combo if you have enough. The trick is really STEPPING on enemies. You can also GRAB them and THROW them at other enemies to knock a bunch down, then pick up a weapon and wait for them to get up to continue the asskicking.

I step as often as I can, but this is another example of an attack that often leaves me open. Unless I've paired down the enemies a LOT (to only 2-3 left) or have all of them on the ground from the last combo, I'll get punched during/just after the step. And oh BOY does it suck if you aren't at the right orientation to the prone enemy when you try to step, cause you don't step. You punch, and usually whiff - and yep, you guessed it, get punished. The throwing is a good point that I didn't really get used to until the fourth chapter. I seem to remember a lot of the big guys in chapter three that you couldn't throw, though. Well, I guess you can once you go up a few more levels.

The fact is that the fighting system does a lot right! When I beat the living hell out of a bunch of people or crack skulls or get off my heat attacks, I want to cheer! However, every time I die I always, always feel like it's the game's fault. I can see the attacks coming, but I'm not given a means to dodge or block them. I feel like if I make a mistake, about half the time I'm not allowed to recover without losing a huge chunk of health. I can restart the battle, but I feel like I either have to go back to sq+tri and circle strafing so I don't get hit (and have no fun) or wade back in and hope I'm luckier with the enemy positioning.

Some of the choices the designers made are so puzzling. It's significantly safer to do one-two combos that knock down so you don't combo your way into the middle of a crowd and take a pounding. It's just bizzare that the fighting mechanics seem to actually ENCOURAGE you to not use the long, fun combos. I'm totally confused as to why using the lock-on button when not facing a group of enemies does not auto-face you to them . I mean, I can see they want you to be able to lock-strafe groups of enemies, that's fine. But when I've got my back to enemies, pressing R1 SHOULD NOT LOCK ME ON TO NOTHING. It's senseless and frustrating. They should auto-turn my character to face the nearest enemy, or to face a point in the middle of all the remaining enemies, or SOMETHING. This is compounded by not having a decent camera control - they are stuck in the days of Zelda tOoT except that pushing down doesn't cause you to turn around instantly, it causes you to turn around slowly so you can be pummelled. By the end of almost any combo longer than sq+tri, I've punched one or two thugs in front of me until they are on the ground, but ALL THE REST OF THE ENEMIES ARE NOW BUNCHED UP BEHIND ME OFF-CAMERA AND ABOUT TO START ATTACKING. And the only way to reorient the camera to see them? TURN AROUND, which if you try to do immediately after your combo results in a beating, since you turn so slowly. Of course, with your back to those two or three enemies, the guard button is useless (I understand the idea, but gameplay wise it can be frustrating). The only choice if you want to see your enemies is to run straight ahead for a couple of seconds (provided you have the space! God help if you were facing a wall), stop, turn around, reorient the camera behind you using R2, and start fighting again. Of course, by then the guys you punched to the ground are standing back up again, so if you lay into another combo, you'll be right back in the same situation - couple of guys on the ground, everyone else behind you waiting to punish you for using a long string. I can see with several more levels under my belt that the additional mechanics they are introducing will help to alleviate many of these problems, but it seems strange to front-load the frustration factor so highly. I mean, I'm hardly a weaksauce gamer; I beat the original DMC on every level but DmD... I just like it when I don't feel like the game gets cheap hits or that I'm unable to defend.

lachesis

fury said:
I've been playing this and I'm at Chapter 7. Can anyone tell me if you get anything from building up the heart meter with girls at a cabaret club?

There are 6 girls. Each girls have different preferences in likings or whatnot.
Once you've earned 10 full hearts from them (normally, having good chat, getting expensive drinks (sans Hiromi), and buying 5000 yen fruit dessert gets you there in a few tries - but it's quite Japanese heavy, if not the most Japanese heavy part of the game) - they'll ask you to see you - which is normally called an "After".

With a cabacura girls, "after" means a date. You will get into a couple of incidents regarding how they ended up being working for cabacura or so - and if you choose to help them out right way - then they will sleep with you and give you whopping 3000 exp plus sometimes a good items like a very expensive sword. (in case of Yuzu, in Shine).

It's actually pretty good, and not as suggestive as I have mentioned - it kinda goes over in a pink flash (literally) - but this game is not about explict sex, really. The girls do have some interesting backstories to themselves.

If you want to be effective in earning their hearts - talk to the guy at MEB near by Jewel. He has plenty of knowledge of all the girls and he'll give you some pointers of what to do when you see certain certain girls.

3000 exp sounds like nothing - but when 6 of them are combined it's a good 18,000 exp points - which means you can upgrade your character as well.

lachesis

duckroll

After patiently reading every word you typed, I think I've identified the CORE of your problem.

I mean, I'm hardly a weaksauce gamer; I beat the original DMC on every level but DmD... I just like it when I don't feel like the game gets cheap hits or that I'm unable to defend.

Stop playing Ryu like its a DMC-like action game. Try playing it like a real 3D fighting with multiple enemies engaging you. From all your complains it seems that you leave yourself too open on your own accord when you expect the game to make it easier for you as you dial-a-combo. While it is true that in many 3D action games the games encourage you to dial cool kickass combos by making you less open to attacks while doing the "right" combo, in Ryu the entire concept is that you have to understand how the fights work and be cool WHILE keeping your ass covered. Doing simple combos and circle strafing in cheap ways isn't the right way to play. Instead you should try being more bold but at the same time mastering the blocking/swaying techniques so you can close your weak spots instantly after doing something cool. If you continue the "simple combo + strafe + playing chicken" tactic the game DEFINITELY won't reward you later on. In fact unless you master how to take the game head on and enjoy it for what it is and learn how to cover up this "openness" you're complaining about, you'll only hate yourself more.

lachesis

Joeholley, R1 is your friend. Trust me. R1+X with directional button will perform "Sway". L1 is only good from front side - but when you have tons of people behind you do R1+X sway till you have the right angle - normally takes a couple sways. You are invunerable in general when performing Swaying.

Also, R1 is a relatively loose Z targeting. You can experiment it when you have one enemy on the screen. While holding R1 - you will strafe around the enemy you have locked on. Not that useful unless you are fighting a boss 1-on-1, but it's there. However, R1+X, you should really try utilize it as much as possible. Your sway level is probably at 1, which means not that great - but you will really need them in later games, especially when you are dealing with 10+ enemies in smaller confined area.

As far as environment attacks do go - your heal-gauge level probably isn't that great either - so you will have very limited heat attacks. Forget the heat attacks for now - but concentrate on x-x-x-x-triangle then stomp attack. Or just throw the small ones to bigger guys. If you are surrounded, head-butting isn't that great, because it's almost certain that some guy from behind will retaliate - leave the head butting when you are surrounded but just throw and step on them with x button.

I think once you've escaped chapter 3 - then you should be fine along - you will get better at fighting and your hp will increase as you level up - so a couple of hits are not as devastating as it used to be, so don't be discouraged. Loose lock-on is a pain in the neck, but just tapping once to the direction you'd like to face normally does the job (unless it's a full turn-around) - by combining this technique with Sway, and being aware of your location - you shouldn't have too much problems.

lachesis

Bebpo

Banned
JoeHolley, I'm not going to pick apart your play style and try to figure out what's going wrong. Rather I'll just say a few tips:

--The game does encourage long combos. From the very first chapter until the very end, I was 99% of the time doing my longest combos ending with triangle and only used shorter ones to keep things interesting in battle. Long combos work on groups, but you have to get everyone grouped in front of you, which honestly shouldn't be that hard to do if you just run or sway a few feet away and they'll all bunch up in front so you can let loose a big combo that knocks most of them down with the final hit and gives you a full heat gauge.

--Instead of grabbing enemies and trying to drag them to heat attack spots while being hit in the process, run near hit attack spots first. Then do a combo on a group, grab anyone still standing and walk a step or so and do the heat attack. Be smart and use the environment in your fight planning. Think about where you want to fight these guys. As your grab meter grows and you can hold people longer its easier to start dragging people 5 steps or so, but for the start just stay near walls or ponds or railings.

--Weapons are slower to swing (well big ones are) like you said. But that just means you take a step back and start you combo so they run into it rather than walking up to them and start swinging. Weapons are the most useful thing in the game, learn to use them well.

--Get people in front of you. I've said it above and I'll say it again. You say that blocking sucks because it only works on the guys in front of you. Well if you have a group in front of you...it works 100%. Besides some bosses, enemies don't really have genius AI or anything and they don't circle-strafe you. It should be fairly easy to get them all together in one spot.

--Level. One you get some new moves it will fix a lot of your problems. Being able to change up mid-combo and hit someone behind you or do a jump kick knocking everyone down or having invincible high damage face stomping will really help your gamestyle.

good luck with it.

duckroll

I COMPLETED IT!!!

Holy shit that was one helluva experience. As promised by Bebpo (with his own personal safety at stake no less :lol) the game was awesome from beginning to end. It keeps getting better until it ends and never feels cheapened, rushed and manupilative. The game respects all gamers and rewards everyone who chooses to buy the game with one of the best gaming experiences this year and one of the best gaming experiences from Sega ever.

The story is deep, mature, well-written and conclusive. It had tons of kickass set piece as well as a good dose of emotional drama. The characters were great and well-developed, and their voices were perfect. The ending was awesome, but to highlight the ending as a high point would be to undermine how the entire scenario was perfectly developed to lead up to that point. Bebpo is also right in this aspect, its really BETTER THAN MGS3.

The gameplay is also pretty deep and rewarding. The attacks you get to do are awesome and the final few chapters all contain fights which are true examples of excellent game design. They make you use everything you've learned in the game up till then and when you execute all your experience properly, you are rewarded with kickass fights which make you feel like you're really kicking ass. There are also a shitloads of minigames, most of which I haven't tried in depth yet even. I've played quite a bit of the gambling ones as well as the dating stuff in the hostess clubs and I'm really impressed because they feel very polished and complete instead of the usual "just throw it in" minigame syndrome.

There isn't that much more to say because right now I just want to sit back and smile and think to myself how awesome it is to have played and finished such an awesome game. I still think it's a stretch to call this GAME OF THE GENERATION, but hey if calling it that gets more people who would otherwise pass on it to play it, then sure, its GAME OF THE GENERATION! :lol

lachesis

duckroll, congratulations. :) Glad you liked the game.

BTW, am I the only one who thought the ending song sucked? I mean, I love the song, but I just hate the weak-voice. I hope they would hire a good amerincan singer to sing it, when they do bring it here. She, might have been a good singer for JPOP - but I just don't think her singing style was suitable for the song.

duckroll

lachesis said:
duckroll, congratulations. :) Glad you liked the game.

:D :D :D

BTW, am I the only one who thought the ending song sucked? I mean, I love the song, but I just hate the weak-voice. I hope they would hire a good amerincan singer to sing it, when they do bring it here. She, might have been a good singer for JPOP - but I just don't think her singing style was suitable for the song.

Yeah I think you're the only one. I loved the song, it wasn't sung in the traditional way but I don't think it was weak. It was effective and I didn't even realize what it was until the credits started rolling. It was perfect for the tone. :D

Bebpo

Banned
lachesis said:

Yeah, I agree with duckroll on this. I thought the ending song was really effective and comes out of nowhere and is just like "woah" and is perfect for the ending of such a great experience. Listening to it and thinking of all that you've gone through in the game makes you a little sad because its over ;_;

lachesis

Hmmm. I see. Perhaps I already knew what the song was (I was netabare'd by someone), so I was expecting and anxious to hear that song - as I love the song very much - and perhaps having imagined it myself previously and it not being sung in a way that I wasn't expecting it to be sung - I guess that might have ruined a bit for me. :(

Anyhow I kinda also wished not doodling around too much in chapter 12 doing a lot of side stuff for several days. If I just rushed into the final chapter, I think my enjoyment of this game was even higher due to the immediate emotional response, rather that waiting till the excitement cool down a bit. ;)

Awesome game it really is. I hear there are all together 78 sub-quests to conquer, not counting having Haruka's trust-level at SSS rank. Even asides all the stuff you can do in the side, the main game itself is quite good - it will go down in my book as one of the most enjoyable game in my gaming history.

Joeholley

I hate to be the only voice of dissent in the thread, but I'm giving up after trying to save Haruka in the batting cage. The battle here with the gang leader: I know it's possible. I've got healing items and weapons in my inventory. But honestly, after losing these (and so many other) battles I just can't justify playing any more. The camera is frustrating to the point where I consider it even worse than the original version of Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. Every time I die I have to set down the controller and go do something else for a while to keep from destroying things in disgust. If they add right-stick camera control to a future region release, someone please PM me so I can try this game again. It's got so many great aspects, but the fact that the battles are primarily comprised of fighting the camera and not the enemies just kills it for me.

duckroll

Joeholley said:
I hate to be the only voice of dissent in the thread

Then go back to playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and button mashing against
Xehanort
. You are hence being BANISHED from this great thread. :lol

Shinobi

Why would you expect such news? Nobody else has anything confirmed for release from the third quarter on...why should Sega be any different?

By E3, I'm sure we'll get that confirmation...I wouldn't worry.

lachesis

Joeholley said:
I hate to be the only voice of dissent in the thread, but I'm giving up after trying to save Haruka in the batting cage. The battle here with the gang leader: I know it's possible. I've got healing items and weapons in my inventory. But honestly, after losing these (and so many other) battles I just can't justify playing any more. The camera is frustrating to the point where I consider it even worse than the original version of Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. Every time I die I have to set down the controller and go do something else for a while to keep from destroying things in disgust. If they add right-stick camera control to a future region release, someone please PM me so I can try this game again. It's got so many great aspects, but the fact that the battles are primarily comprised of fighting the camera and not the enemies just kills it for me.

Hmm.. actually someone else lost the interest in the game at chapter7, batting cage battle as well. Interesting, but rather understandable.

He's actually one of the toughest boss to beat in this game, and can be downright-annoying - as he can pretty much teleport himself like crazy. It's a good idea to carry a good sword for him, and carry plenty of healing items. Also due to his fast movement, it's very easy to lose the track of him - but first is to get rid of other smaller ones first. Using baseball bat helps, or knives they drop helps - but it should't be too difficult if you focus on the smaller guys.

When smaller ones are all taken care of - it's a payback time. Equip a sword, keep a distance from him while he's strafing around while hold R1. As long as you hold R1, you will face forward him all the time, targeted. However, if he disappears to the side, then simply press L2 while hold R1 - it will re-center him into the screen. A lot of boss fighting, especially the faster ones - you just have to get used to L2 re-adjusting and R1 trick.

Block first (L1) when he attacks - as you can block w/o damage with a weapon equipped - then retaliate with the sword. He will be able to get away in a swoosh - but you should be able to land 1 or 2 hits on the guy depending on your timing. Getting all 3 sword combo is hard to come by. (That's if you've learned sword skill from the Jotaro the old master from the Sai's Garden)

I do think this guy is a first in the boss's difficulty hike, and this part could be the point where people would give up - as this is not necessarily a easy game - but it's not that hard either. Heck, if you have time you could just pick up the baseball and throw at him while he's away, and chiping away his health a tiny bit a time.

Remember, L2 button is quite essential in the battle and during exploration. Sure, you cannot re-center the camera angle in any street scene - but in battles, you can. Also anytime you enter a building or so, you can also recenter the camera with L2 as well.

It's a bad point of giving up - as things really do start rolling in Chapter 8...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Joeholley said:

You are not. I got through the part u talk about (I think I'm at chapter 12) but still I find it hard to pick up the controller and go on with the game. This is probably due to me not understanding the story, but yet I play games for the fun of playing them, not for the good story. And I'm not getting that much fun from Ryu.

Onimusha Dawn of Dreams is what is keeping me busy at the moment (PAL preview code in my hands). And unfortunately it is so good it makes harder to stop and go back to Ryu.

Is this just an evil with the belly by French Dad?

Babelfish/Gamebe/Play-Attitude said:
It is with pleasure that I inform you that Sega indeed intends to leave Ryû Ga Gotoku, his play of action/ventures rappellant illustrates it Shenmue, in France since the title is currently in phase of localization for Europe. For those which that interests, Ryû Ga Gotoku goes extremely to Japan and received famous Famitsu the note of 37/40 which speaks about itself... Youpi, for once that a good play jap will make a turning by Europe earlier than envisaged, it is not to displease to us!
http://www.gamebe.com/actualites/2238/ryu-ga-gotoku/

For some, it is the hangover after a too sprinkled midnight supper. For others, it is an evil with the belly because of a too heating meal of family. At all events, the team of Play-Attitude wishes you the maid and merry festivals of Christmas. And as we are (a little) late, the team tried dégoter a good news sympathetic nerve to forgive us. And it is the heavy one! The future better play of the year 2006, Ryu Ga Gotoku (Way of the Dragon with US) will unload indeed, in France. Indeed, SEGA would be spirit to work on the French version. We will thus have right to subtitles in the language of Molière. For recall, Ryu ga Gotoku left this month to Japan and it collected one 37/40 in Famitsu. It is presented like the worthy successor of Shenmue. Thank you Dad SEGA! You are definitively stronger than the Christmas Dad.
http://www.play-attitude.com/news-1918-Le-cadeau-de-Noel-de-SEGA.html

Joeholley

duckroll said:
Then go back to playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and button mashing against
Xehanort
. You are hence being BANISHED from this great thread. :lol

I'll take that banishment and leave with a warning: if you're the kind of person who hates games with frustrating cameras, rent before you buy when this game hits your territory.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Joeholley said:
I'll take that banishment and leave with a warning: if you're the kind of person who hates games with frustrating cameras, rent before you buy when this game hits your territory.

ive only played this game a little bit but i have no idea how you could die so much. Game is pretty damn easy.

Bebpo

Banned
Joeholley said:

You know the batting cage has 'bats' right? And that there are also baseballs all over the ground. Try using those and you should beat it.

Billy Rygar said:
Would this really be called Way of the Dragon when translated?

Not really. It's literally "like a dragon". Kinda like how someone could say "he flew fast like a bird".

Srider

Banned
Joeholley said:

If you thought that boss was hard,
wait till you fight the stronger version of him again for the second time, and in the dark

Bebpo said:
Not really. It's literally "like a dragon". Kinda like how someone could say "he flew fast like a bird".
Oh. Hopefully they give it a good english title. I couldn't stand Shenmue at all but I am still going to pick this up when/if it comes over to support games that try soemthing different, and who knows I might like it.

lachesis

sp0rsk said:
ive only played this game a little bit but i have no idea how you could die so much. Game is pretty damn easy.

I wouldn't call it actually easy - I think it just suits your playstyle, perhaps. Also, there's certain difficulty jumps here and there, and some of them are rather unexpectiedly - Chapter7 boss is one of them. Moves entirely different from anyone before - and could easily throw people out of what they are used fighting. Adoptation, is the key to survival including utilizing the environments.

BTW, some of the side-quest bosses are quite tough. Jotaro for one example is a pretty bad ass - but I kinda figured him out so that I can beat him near 100% now. I'm not sure that rumored "Last Assasin"guy you get to meet after finishing all 78 sub-quests - I hear he's awefully hard - I'm at 73 at the moment - can't wait to see him actually. That would be probably my last try on this game and I'm ready to part with this game for now.

lachesis

Yeah it sucks it didn't sell amazingly well.

I just beat it last night and it is just amazing, I was really surprised at how well told the story was. It is up there as one of my favorites from this generation, for sure. I still have only done about 30 of the subquests too. I plan to go back and play it when my stint is done here in Japan. Want to try and get the most out of it. Plus I just got Fire Emblem for GC finally, so that has taken my attention.

:D

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Alright, I'm sold. You can announce a U.S. release date now, Sega. I'll buy it.* Promise.

*Eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom