• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Zero Announced

here's a short list of games that have sold better than any yakuza title:

gravity rush
tearaway
resistance: burning skies
the wonderful 101
zombi u
ghost recon shadow wars
any phoenix wright game for the ds
eternal sonata
dark sector
untold legends: dark kingdom
viva piñata trouble in paradise
ogre battle 64
earthworm jim 3d
bubsy 3d
resident evil 3 for dreamcast

just us numbers.

Wow, that's a depressing list. I know how much my tastes are in the minority of US gamers, but this really drives it home.

artsi

-the story takes place in December 1988
-2 main characters: Kiryu Kazuma and Majima Goro
-Kiryu is 20 years old who is living off part time job (tokyo)
-Majima Goro is 24 years old (osaka)
-the story eventually leads to Ryu ga gotoku 1, so you will see lots of characters from Ryu ga gotoku 1

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7828130.html

Sounds good, I'm not so much into 80's but I'm sure they can pull this off with style. Still day one purchase for me.

Sgblues

Well Ryo had a Sega Saturn in 1986 so they could be wacky if they wanted but I'm sure they would try to be authentic at least. Hoping the arcades would have Outrun, Space Harrier, Hang on, Altered Beast, Shinobi and other games that came out before and and during 1988.

I've been playing ryu ga gotoku HD lately (happy coincidence ) and one drunk salaryman on the street mentioned how things were so much better 10 years ago. Guess we will see. So 1988 means the bubble economy right? Should be interesting to see all the excess. Is this going to be vice city in Japan?

I know Japan couldn't give a shit about the PS4, but cross-gen is still so disappointing. Sony really needs to step up their game this gen with Japan Studios and make some PS4 exclusives that appeal to the Japanese audience as well as releasing them in the west for those of us who care. It's such a weird situation to be in where major Japanese support for a home console feels like a treat rather than the norm.

I know Japan couldn't give a shit about the PS4, but cross-gen is still so disappointing. Sony really needs to step up their game this gen with Japan Studios and make some PS4 exclusives that appeal to the Japanese audience as well as releasing them in the west for those of us who care. It's such a weird situation to be in where major Japanese support for a home console feels like a treat rather than the norm.

Why does it need to be ps4 only? For the graphics? People on gaf complain about this series with their lol ps2 graphics comments so I don't know what you are expecting.

Only Japanese series that pushes graphics is final fantasy and people think the series went to shit when they started being obsessed with graphics. (ff7, ff8, ff10, ff12, ff13)

Pg7v961.png

Why does it need to be ps4 only? For the graphics? People on gaf complain about this series with their lol ps2 graphics comments so I don't know what you are expecting.

Only Japanese series that pushes graphics is final fantasy and people think the series went to shit when they started being obsessed with graphics. (ff7, ff8, ff10, ff12, ff13)

Because designing it for cross-gen means its potential will be held back by technical limitations of the PS3. It has to be built in such a way that the PS3 version can keep apace, which probably means frequent loading screens, no massive vistas, a low number of enemies on screen, etc. I understand why it's cross-gen, but I just think that this limitation can limit the creators' ambitions.

Spaghetti

cross gen makes sense. ps4 hasn't taken off properly in japan (i.e the only region the game is being sold in) and sega want to make money.

Majima looks badass in those scans, really looking forward to seeing more from the game when TGS rolls around.

Because designing it for cross-gen means its potential will be held back by technical limitations of the PS3. It has to be built in such a way that the PS3 version can keep apace, which probably means frequent loading screens, no massive vistas, a low number of enemies on screen, etc. I understand why it's cross-gen, but I just think that this limitation can limit the creators' ambitions.

Part of RGG5 has a massive battle with a sizeable amount of enemies (and allies) on screen at the same time, and a couple of battles I've had in Ishin so far also have a nice amount of enemies on screen at once so I'm not so sure I agree about that point but I see where your coming from with your other points. I just expect the game to look like a nice PS3 up-port with a solid 60FPS frame rate like Ishin has.

I would like to see what a proper RGG would look like on the PS4 though, I remember being really impressed with the leap the third game was over the second visually (mainly thanks to the camera). If nothing else it'd be nice for them to finally move away from using PS2 era NPC civilians and further improve animations (although 5 and Ishin actually have some pretty neat touches).

Japan is not enough to make these games profitable right? Most of them are playing mobile games. How can they not localize this?

RedSwirl

So basically now they can bring back a shitload of characters they killed off. Plus, now we get a full game where we get to play Kazuma during his actual Yakuza career.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
80s Japan as the setting? 88 is like the peak of the bubble period--this is going to be awesome. Very excited now.

Also, younger Kiryu looks totally like Tomoya Nagase.

Shinriji

Kiryu model looks terrible. They got the Yakuza 5 model, made it skinnier and called a day.

And those clothes, lol. But it was acceptable in the 80's, I guess.

Not the biggest fan of Kazuma, but looks awesome regardless.
Also, remember ,,20 year old'' Taiga Saejima? lol, I rather have them look like this than wimps or like some hosts.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are they only showing PS3 shots for some reason or is the PS4 really holding back for the cross-gen part of this

If it's like Ishin, it will just be a res-up and frame rate increase.

I'm fine with that. Ishin is great at 60 fps with a very clean image quality.

Top Bottom